Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dunno where you live but here detox was free. If youre gonna withdraw thats the best place to be. Tapering down to 0 works but it takes some real work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have Medicare here in the US and my 7 day detox was over $17,000.

I've fallen downhill again.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have Medicare here in the US and my 7 day detox was over $17,000.

I've fallen downhill again.

gently caress! that sucks

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Spinster posted:

Thats almost a fifth of booze so that's up there for tolerance if its not stretched out over most of the day. Shoot.

Kind of a late response, but isn't a 5th roughly 14-15 50ml servings of alcohol? I was drinking beer and liquor mind you, so it wasn't all hard stuff.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Did somebody itt mention refuge recovery? I know I read the name somewhere on these forums, I checked it out and it's really cool. I have a hard time with 12 step stuff, I prefer smart recovery mtgs buts I have a hard time finding them, but refuge recovery is right up my alley so thx you goon who mentioned it for giving me a good new resource

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress! that sucks

Sorry, that was the full cost before medicare. I owe about $1400 I think.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Isaac what did they do for you in detox? Were you on benzos?

How likely is it to have seizures when quitting cold turkey. I need to stop and I am scared and it is a secret from people at work.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sometimes they give Ativan or Librium to help withdrawal. Those can make things more comfortable and can help with seizures.

I don't think it's super likely to have seizures. I had DTs last time, I think for the first real time, but I didn't have a problem with seizures since I'm on a mood stabilizer that happens to be an anti-seizure med. Just the other symptoms... not so fun.

I might have to go back to the hospital. Not a private one this time. I'm broke. So probably the VA which sucks. I'm going to try to do it on my own first. I'm prescribed Klonopin which should help a ton since I don't take it when I drink.

Now, I just have to stop again.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sorry, that was the full cost before medicare. I owe about $1400 I think.

I understand. When I exhausted what my company would pay for they cut me loose too.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shithouse Dave posted:

How likely is it to have seizures when quitting cold turkey. I need to stop and I am scared and it is a secret from people at work.

You get some benzos for the firat day. Then they do observation on you every 2 hours or so. Check your pulse and ask you questions to see if you need more benzos.

Ive never had seizures but other wd symptoms can be hosed up. Like suddenly not being able to control your body properly while driving.

I imagine itd be an awkward thing to bring up in your line of work

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Shithouse Dave posted:

They didn’t give me benzos - it depends on where you go I guess.

There is no formula to know if you will have seizures or not but you can guess how likely it is or how dangerous it might be to go cold turkey based on how much you drink. I was drinking a handle of vodka a night on my first trip into rehab and I didn’t want to go (or quit at the time) but a friend called the police to do a wellness check, my parents found out about it and came over and convinced me to go. The second time I wasn’t drinking regularly but when I did it was ridiculous amounts and I was in an antidepressant which made me black out early and not be able to control how much I was
drinking so I ended up in the hospital and decided to go from there. How much are you drinking as do you drink it all at night or throughout the entire day?

Edit: The second time work found out because I was unable to start at the beginning of the school year (I work at a music conservatory) and they were surprisingly supportive. They let me take the first semester off and come back for the second. You never know what will happen so I wouldn’t necessarily be thinking about that but more of dying early from alcoholism if it is really a concern.

rio fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 1, 2017

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I got seven years clean today. It hasn't always been easy, but gently caress yeah it's been worth it. Seven years from today I stood at the entrance of the detox. Hands shaking. Head spinning. My body loving screaming for just one drink. Just one little bump. To take the edge off, you know?
I got through the first week of detox and DTs on medications. Can't remember what they gave me, but I was a zombie. The only things I remember from that week was scratching my skin 'til it bled and through a hazy blur, my father crying. I've been told that my arm was hosed up. Bad. Someone took me to a hospital for x-rays, but I don't remember any of it. It was my first sober christmas with family in almost 15 years. I could barely eat. Was barely able to look my family in their eyes. But it was worth it.

The first year was rough. I was so loving lonely. People treated me like I was made of paper. No one dared to invite me to any social functions. No one wanted to be the one responsible for my relapse.

If it weren't for the meetings I wouldn't have made it. In my small town there was three meetings a week. Two AA and one NA. I went to each one, every week. One of them were the weirdest meeting I've ever seen. A splinter group from AA, the guy leading the meetings was an old veteran. He ran it like he was interviewing us. Interrupted people. Weird as gently caress, and totally at odds with everything the program advice. But it was worth it. After a while I got my hands on a PC and pent my weekends playing Borderlands with an old friend who moved from our small town ages ago. It was a blast. And it kept my rear end busy.

After about a year I started seeing change in the people around me. My family started trusting me again. Old friends would invite me to stuff. Some of them got comfortable drinking around me. Note that these guys were social drinkers. The kind of people that gets drunk, goes to bed at a reasonable hour and wakes up to find a six pack in their fridge. I told them I was fine, but holy gently caress did I want to join them. As time passed my mind started thinking that maybe I could be like them. A couple of beers. Maybe a shot or two of whisky. Some coke, just for old times sake. If I could afford it. Should probably stick to speed though. It's cheaper and I bet my old suppliers would give me a discount for being a returning customer...

Even in my mind I was escalating. So I kept going to meetings. Talked to the old guys, people who'd been in recovery for years. People who'd been through the same poo poo. Who would laugh at my dumb jokes or nod in recognition as I poured my heart out. Who would call me out on my bullshit and make me slowly realize that if those guys could make it, so should I. They showed me the way. They picked me up when I was falling. They eased my doubts and applauded me when I was strong. But they never carried me. I had to do the hard poo poo on my own. For a long time I was a loving shitshow. A pathetic junkie lying to myself about how I could regain control. Be normal. It was rough, but yeah, it was worth it.

I saw people fall and fail and leave. Some of them died. Some came back, broken. But they were welcomed back without judgement. Everyone knew that it could easily have been one of us that sat there shaking. The knowledge that I'd be welcomed back as well should I relapse made it easier to stay clean. No secrets. "I want to use today" I'd say. "So do we" they'd answer. "But we won't."

Years passed, faster than I'd imagined. It got easier. Not easy. Easier. Even now there are days when it's hard to stay on the straight and narrow. But I manage. When things get rough I go to a meeting. Or call a friend. Sometimes going for a walk is all I need. After 2556 days I've gotten the hang of it. One day at a time.

I write this, not only to pat my own back, but to show that it's possible. It's not a miracle. It's hard work. It takes practice, but I got there in the end. Before I got clean I tried and failed many times. By the time it took I was broken. Part of me still is. It's a cliche, but if I was able to do it, so can anyone. Keep trying. Keep coming back. You don't have to do it alone.

Thanks.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

HatJudge posted:

I got seven years clean today. It hasn't always been easy, but gently caress yeah it's been worth it. Seven years from today I stood at the entrance of the detox. Hands shaking. Head spinning. My body loving screaming for just one drink. Just one little bump. To take the edge off, you know?
I got through the first week of detox and DTs on medications. Can't remember what they gave me, but I was a zombie. The only things I remember from that week was scratching my skin 'til it bled and through a hazy blur, my father crying. I've been told that my arm was hosed up. Bad. Someone took me to a hospital for x-rays, but I don't remember any of it. It was my first sober christmas with family in almost 15 years. I could barely eat. Was barely able to look my family in their eyes. But it was worth it.

The first year was rough. I was so loving lonely. People treated me like I was made of paper. No one dared to invite me to any social functions. No one wanted to be the one responsible for my relapse.

If it weren't for the meetings I wouldn't have made it. In my small town there was three meetings a week. Two AA and one NA. I went to each one, every week. One of them were the weirdest meeting I've ever seen. A splinter group from AA, the guy leading the meetings was an old veteran. He ran it like he was interviewing us. Interrupted people. Weird as gently caress, and totally at odds with everything the program advice. But it was worth it. After a while I got my hands on a PC and pent my weekends playing Borderlands with an old friend who moved from our small town ages ago. It was a blast. And it kept my rear end busy.

After about a year I started seeing change in the people around me. My family started trusting me again. Old friends would invite me to stuff. Some of them got comfortable drinking around me. Note that these guys were social drinkers. The kind of people that gets drunk, goes to bed at a reasonable hour and wakes up to find a six pack in their fridge. I told them I was fine, but holy gently caress did I want to join them. As time passed my mind started thinking that maybe I could be like them. A couple of beers. Maybe a shot or two of whisky. Some coke, just for old times sake. If I could afford it. Should probably stick to speed though. It's cheaper and I bet my old suppliers would give me a discount for being a returning customer...

Even in my mind I was escalating. So I kept going to meetings. Talked to the old guys, people who'd been in recovery for years. People who'd been through the same poo poo. Who would laugh at my dumb jokes or nod in recognition as I poured my heart out. Who would call me out on my bullshit and make me slowly realize that if those guys could make it, so should I. They showed me the way. They picked me up when I was falling. They eased my doubts and applauded me when I was strong. But they never carried me. I had to do the hard poo poo on my own. For a long time I was a loving shitshow. A pathetic junkie lying to myself about how I could regain control. Be normal. It was rough, but yeah, it was worth it.

I saw people fall and fail and leave. Some of them died. Some came back, broken. But they were welcomed back without judgement. Everyone knew that it could easily have been one of us that sat there shaking. The knowledge that I'd be welcomed back as well should I relapse made it easier to stay clean. No secrets. "I want to use today" I'd say. "So do we" they'd answer. "But we won't."

Years passed, faster than I'd imagined. It got easier. Not easy. Easier. Even now there are days when it's hard to stay on the straight and narrow. But I manage. When things get rough I go to a meeting. Or call a friend. Sometimes going for a walk is all I need. After 2556 days I've gotten the hang of it. One day at a time.

I write this, not only to pat my own back, but to show that it's possible. It's not a miracle. It's hard work. It takes practice, but I got there in the end. Before I got clean I tried and failed many times. By the time it took I was broken. Part of me still is. It's a cliche, but if I was able to do it, so can anyone. Keep trying. Keep coming back. You don't have to do it alone.

Thanks.

This is maybe the most awesome thing I've read on this site. Kickass.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

HatJudge posted:

Thanks.

Good for you man. That is definitely all of the good stuff about the program and why it is a worthwhile option that should always be considered.

I just found out today that they are going to start randomly drug testing in the high school where I used to live 10 minutes away. There is a long Facebook thread about it and you can tell the replies from those who have experience with addiction and those who know nothing but think they know everything like the people making the rule. These kids are going to start drinking heavily instead of smoking pot, get research chemicals and other non traceable drugs that won’t have them fail the drug test and it’s going to get kids killed with the same kind of poo poo DARE instilled in me, never talking to kids with real people in recovery and just saying “drugs are bad”. They need to stop moralizing and get people with experience in recovery to elementary schools, not wait until high school and then start just random drug testing. If kids don’t want to stop using then they will just get smarter (so to speak) about it. It really pisses me off and that is not even talking about basic human rights. As a parent I would be PISSED if I still lived there and my daughter were old enough to be in high school and was being random drug tested by school administration.

People are saying in argument that no one would ever talk about their history with addiction. That is what AA, NA is all about and it keeps people sober to try to help other people with their stories but they will gladly spend those tax dollars on random drug tests instead of early prevention (which I doubt they would even need to pay for since all of the people I know who are in recovery would gladly speak for free).

Edit: how are all of you guys doing? I had a beer a couple nights ago. Still no drive to drink and it was only because it was at a bar with a jam session and I had to buy something so I got the weakest beer I could order. It was an awesome time and it is surreal not wanting to drink more after one drink - I just don’t like the way it makes me feel now (it had been several months since the last beer I had too where I also had no interest in having more than one drink at a gig). I know I need to be vigilant about it though.

rio fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 15, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wow. I'm still doing bad now but this is great. I wish the best for you.

Very.... very :unsmith:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive been smoking a bit of weed but no drinking. Worried about christmas cause its a big drinking day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been drinking beer daily again and I'm smoking the already vaped weed that I have. Surprisingly there is still a lot of THC in that poo poo.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

NJ is talking about weed legalization since the incoming governor wants to do it. I have to think long and hard about if I want to get into that again. I was a big, big weed smoker back in the day but drinking replaced it after I lost my connection. Now all I do is kratom which I credit for making me not want to drink and doesn’t gently caress me up or impair me but I could see weed getting out of control for me if I wasn’t careful. Loved that poo poo though and in some ways it really helped me.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

My best sent me a coin from one of her meetings so now I feel triply committed to not touch a drink

Weed once in a great while is all I need now and even that was a struggle at first to tame to a sane non-abuse level; the deeper down this road we go the more I see how important step work is, because society has set us up to fail and likes it when we die and the world is not getting any easier as debt and death piles on by the loving shovelfull

Won't lie that a lot of not drinking is done out of the most pitiful and raw spite towards the world in a big old gently caress You

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Black August posted:

My best sent me a coin from one of her meetings so now I feel triply committed to not touch a drink

Weed once in a great while is all I need now and even that was a struggle at first to tame to a sane non-abuse level; the deeper down this road we go the more I see how important step work is, because society has set us up to fail and likes it when we die and the world is not getting any easier as debt and death piles on by the loving shovelfull

Won't lie that a lot of not drinking is done out of the most pitiful and raw spite towards the world in a big old gently caress You

Whatever works to keep you from drinking. Alcohol is a lovely drug and I hate it for the years it probably shaved off my life, the years I lost and the people I hurt along the way including myself. I loving hate it and am spiteful about it, how it is legal and normalized while stuff like weed is not and the lack of concern and education by society as a whole about it while the DEA tries to make kratom a schedule I drug when it hasn’t killed anyone and people’s lives are destroyed by alcohol every day. Yes it isn’t healthy to dwell on feelings like that but I doubt I will ever get past that.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Fifteen pages in, no one thought of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkgJekoIBCg

Recently I got to see meth users up close because there was a dealer in my building. They are scum. Hopeless scum. If you're not on crack or meth you're doing ok, alchos.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I used to do alot of meth but alcohol was always my favourite

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Isaac posted:

I used to do alot of meth but alcohol was always my favourite

one time I quit drinking for a while by switching to crystal meth

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
68 days sober. no booze, no pot, no painkillers, no benzos. got punched by a crackhead and got my eye socket fractured and needed some painkillers for that, but nothing outside of directed dosages. it's hard and boring but I'm still rock climbing and now playing an MMO which is a real timesink. got me three keychains and coming up on 90 days for number 4. I can go out to bars with friends and watch them drink, I literally can't cos of meds which helps. I just sip away at water, still feels alright. I start uni next year which will be the real challenge, I would always get partway then just bomb out and bong out.

I really enjoy sobriety though. forming actual friendships is really nice. my family is so much happier with me too. it's good poo poo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The clarity of mind is too good to pass up, the haze being gone is like stepping up a few rungs on the ladder of reality

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

roboshit posted:

one time I quit drinking for a while by switching to crystal meth

I did the same, but with speed. I would bring tea and speed to parties, mix them up, feel all sophisticated and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Black August posted:

The clarity of mind is too good to pass up, the haze being gone is like stepping up a few rungs on the ladder of reality

This is what I really need. I used to be like... smart and stuff. Now, since I drink all the time, my brain just feels slower. My memory is terrible. It sucks.

• Locked thread