Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ramie posted:

I wish Mars Matrix was on the Switch too, that soundtrack is killer.

this gamer knows the score

what else is good on the arcade stadium collections? i've heard vaguely good things about 19xx and eco fighters. i've played forgotten worlds before and i don't especially have a lot of desire to go back to it. really tempted to grab three wonders though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you haven't played forgotten worlds on a modern console, give it a shot. it plays really well with dual analog stick controllers

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

EightFlyingCars posted:

this gamer knows the score

what else is good on the arcade stadium collections? i've heard vaguely good things about 19xx and eco fighters. i've played forgotten worlds before and i don't especially have a lot of desire to go back to it. really tempted to grab three wonders though

I got a bunch of others and just keep coming back to Progear tbh, it's a GOAT thru and thru. 19xx is my favorite among the others. Lots of folks enioy Varth as well

This week I started playing CHO REN SHA 68K on a little emulator handheld and it's loving sick. This RGB30 has a 1:1 screen, which happens to be the native aspect ratio of CRS

It also runs muthafuckin ZeroRanger as a port, no emulation required

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 14, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
zeroranger looks sick and I want to give it a real attempt, but I’d like to finish void stranger first and that game is hard as balls!

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Shine posted:

Might be worth trying other titles with different stores, too.

Drainus is a fun-yet-forgiving SHMUP that has stage select, continuing from checkpoints, an extremely powerful defensive shield, and ship progression that persists between stages. It's great for people who aren't into the bullet hell thing and want more of a "classic" SHMUP experience, like Gradius.

Speaking of, I get that it's a nod to Darius and Gradius, but holy hell "Drainus" is an unfortunate name.

Anyway, here's a random gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nEQXGYbRs

I really enjoyed this one. It's not hard on default settings, but I had a lot of fun with it. Also the stage 5 boss is a fun reference to an infamous boss from Gradius 3 (arc)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ramie posted:

Giga Wing has, honestly, the worst character selection theme I have ever heard

Oh my god this reminds me of the Boobah Zone

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shine posted:

Might be worth trying other titles with different styles, too.

Drainus is a fun-yet-forgiving SHMUP that has stage select, continuing from checkpoints, an extremely powerful defensive shield, and ship progression that persists between stages. It's great for people who aren't into the bullet hell thing and want more of a "classic" SHMUP experience, like Gradius.

Speaking of, I get that it's a nod to Darius and Gradius, but holy hell "Drainus" is an unfortunate name.

Anyway, here's a random gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nEQXGYbRs

drat, I don't think this is likely to supplant Void as my #1 but it does look pretty sick, I should check it out sometime.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Drainus is really cool. I'm currently stuck on the 2nd loop in a tricky spot where I'm powered down due to multiple deaths, but there's barely enough power ups to beat the next boss. Bit of a Gradius syndrome at certain points

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ramie posted:

^that sale made a convert out of me!!

I'm seriously getting into shmups for the first time now and I'm having so much fun y'all.

Been sticking to Radiant Silvergun, Progear and Giga Wing. I wish Mars Matrix was on the Switch too, that soundtrack is killer.

What has suprised me the most is how straight-up beautiful they are. RS is so moody top to bottom, to the point that the (very, very good) gameplay feels almost secondary to the moment-to-moment being in it, the end of the world.

And I love the little audiovisual flourishes from the post-boss screen in Progear. The quick rotation through various locations that settles on your next one, the weird little stat bars of dubious meaning at the bottom... the craft on display in even the smallest of things has won my heart.

Giga Wing has, honestly, the worst character selection theme I have ever heard, but I enjoy the overall amount of attention lavished on the characters, fighting game style. I suspect that I will hold it's approach to character differentiation/personality as my gold standard going forward, it's certainly better than it was in any of the shmups I played growing up. It's also my personal favorite at the moment, gameplay-wise.

When I can 1CC all three maybe I'll treat myself to Ikaruga...

This is great!
Don't miss playing Gunbird2
It's one of my favorites from a way back.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Some day I'll stop getting Giga Wing and Gunbird confused.

That day is not today.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

After The War posted:

Some day I'll stop getting Giga Wing and Gunbird confused.

That day is not today.

Gunbird has a blonde witch front and center in both games. Giga Wing doesn't, it's all spaceships. HTH.

Speaking of, I hadn't realized both Gunbird games are on Steam now! How are those ports?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what's the best recommendation for someone who wants to get into shmups?

get a dreamcast!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
With the general improvement in CDI quality and, as I mentioned before, the number of new fansubs appearing, that's pretty true for a certain era, especially if, like I did, you use one of the new Retro Access cables and a TINK 5X. If you're going the vintage hardware + :yarr: route, though, I think the Genesis/Mega Drive is the best bang for the buck. Consoles are still fairly cheap, they have native RGB output at 240p (so you don't need to deal with the inherent price jump that comes with scalers that deinterlace), you can download the entire game library from Archive.org without a hassle and fit it onto a small SD card, and if you splurge for a good flashcart, you can get the entire Master System and Sega CD libraries as well.

It's been a total blast for me, but my ideal SHMUP era seems to be 16-bit with cool, chewy pixel art and rocking chiptunes. I haven't really been able to gel with the smooth pastels and high bullet counts that defined the next era, even if that's ultimate SHMUP to a some folks. I have been getting into some of the cell-shaded stuff by Milestone on Dreamcast, though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm of the opinion that peak shmup is Gradius Gaiden. I think that carries on the spirit of the 16 bit era, just better, and much less janky feeling than Gradius 3.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Dabir posted:

I'm of the opinion that peak shmup is Gradius Gaiden. I think that carries on the spirit of the 16 bit era, just better, and much less janky feeling than Gradius 3.

gradius is just a good rear end series in general. i'm really glad we kept our ps3 with gradius v on it. what a game.

progear update: after an afternoon of noncommittal and lazy practice i can reliably no-miss through stage 2 and complete stage 3. stage 4 still whips my rear end to shreds though. i think the highest score i've recorded on the leaderboards is uh. 5.5m? ugh

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm still waiting for the resolution of that teaser at the end of Recca.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ramie posted:

Giga Wing has, honestly, the worst character selection theme I have ever heard

I've decided that this rules.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Whatever happened to that radiant silvergun steam port? I thought that was supposed to be out in sept but the date seemed to have changed to coming soon and been like that since.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Live Wire has said nothing about it. It'll happen someday, they did show up at TGS to showcase new physical runs of previous ports so they haven't folded or anything

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Shine posted:

I've decided that this rules.

Yeah it absolutely rules, especially when it cuts abruptly into the first stage music which also rules

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Lots of quality shmups on sale for Switch right now, including all of the Live Wire's Cave ports, and Radiant Silvergun

https://www.dekudeals.com/lists/h9wbjf?sort=recent_drop&view=grid

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
near the top of that list i see a personal favorite of mine, Black Bird, which is Fantasy Zone but instead of a colorful space ship shooter it's a sepia toned gothic nightmare starring a forsaken child who becomes a monstrous raven-like spirit of vengeance.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

near the top of that list i see a personal favorite of mine, Black Bird, which is Fantasy Zone but instead of a colorful space ship shooter it's a sepia toned gothic nightmare starring a forsaken child who becomes a monstrous raven-like spirit of vengeance.
With bitchin operatic music!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Void Rains 8.0 was supposed to release today, but the dev has COVID and has had to delay the release :negative:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Psyvariar Delta is on sale for Switch at the moment, for the first time in ages. Bit of a classic, with a bullet graze mechanic and three modes to try: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/psyvariar-delta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NquSXVKl2T8

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Psyvariar Delta is on sale for Switch at the moment, for the first time in ages. Bit of a classic, with a bullet graze mechanic and three modes to try: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/psyvariar-delta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NquSXVKl2T8

The first time I played this, I thought it had a hitpoints system because the hitbox seems so tiny compared to the model. I was used to grazing mechanics and bullet hell hotboxes, but something about this game fooled me into thinking I was taking damage when really I was just, I dunno, seeing flashing lights and bullets "hitting" my bigass ship and assuming it meant I was grazing sloppily and taking damage. Then I remembered that anime barely acknowledges hitpoints as a concept (thanks, U.N. Squadron), noticed for the first time just how tiny the hitbox is, then I accidentally veered into a single stray bullet and died. It's a neat game!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Some of the new Void Rains burdens (random penalty abilities) are really funny. Big fan of the one that makes focus (slow movement) just make you stationary and the one that gives you an option that follows you and blocks your own shots. There’s one that makes your own bullets invisible too, but half the time that’s a positive effect anyway.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey shmupthread. Xmastime saw the arrival of a newborn baby 8bitdo arcade stick, and on my first try, I had my best ever performance on the 19XX lvl2 boss. Having precise control really makes a big difference over using a thumbstick. Using joycons or the pro controller, I tend to have extreme difficulty flying straight left or right. With a real joystick, it's easy! Now I feel like I can actually play horizontal games with tight squeezes. I got excited about that prospect and decided to try to R-Type. LoL, owned immediately. Those games are merciless.
I would also throw out a recommendation for game tengoku cruisin' mix special. Totally absurd, colorful and vibrant cute em up.

Does anyone have suggestions for non shmup, non fighting games that might be good to play with an arcade stick? I don't enjoy fighting games, and am armpit deep in shmups, but looking for others.
Beat em ups are a pretty obvious one, yeah? Anybody play platformers with a stick? I guess puzzle games might benefit? Might even be good for turn based rugs.... just looking for ideas really.

Gonna play so much ninja turtles

Hey thanks, Beergas!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 4, 2024

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Streets of Rage 4, River City Girls, Fight 'n' Rage (hard!!!), Ninja Saviors, Gain Ground and other Sega Ages releases, Space Invaders Extreme, Tempest 4000, Arkanoid, Pac Man Championship Edition 2, Metal Slug 1, X, and 3, Elevator Action Returns

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 4, 2024

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I played Rogue Legacy on a stick and it definitely benefited. I would imagine the same is true for any game with Castlevania-like controls.

Puzzle games, too. It’s worth checking out the TGM series if you like Tetris.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

nrook posted:

Puzzle games, too. It’s worth checking out the TGM series if you like Tetris.

you can finally buy them for modern consoles too! the first two anyway. hopefully that means tgm3 is around the corner.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No grand Master for me. More like tetris grand skill issue. That reminds me to fire up Dr. Mario though! That was the first game my brothers and I got along with our nes for Xmas. I was really disappointed it wasn't smb3, but over time I realized it was a great game.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Lumines would probably be great with a stick too

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I like to play Doom using one, it's a real hoot.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is the good lumines still on steam or just that weird ios rerelease/update that came out a few years ago?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

beer gas canister posted:

Lumines would probably be great with a stick too

and shine and shine and shine and shine and shine and shine and shine

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

dads_work_files posted:

I like to play Doom using one, it's a real hoot.

wrong kind of shooter. This is the SHMUP THREAD! :allbuttons:
He says, conveniently ignoring that he just asked for recommendations for other kinds of games

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

now the lumines thread until shmups get better music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3RQWDl8R4

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Voice of Labor posted:

now the lumines thread until shmups get better music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3RQWDl8R4

counter-hijacking as a Rez thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCiWpqj1OiM