Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Ha, I don't think any of the TFLC posters who posted swole selfies actually followed the rules of the contest by including a username sign :v:

Now that we're back to non-swole portraits:

Amy, Dunes, Seaview by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

MrBlandAverage posted:

Ha, I don't think any of the TFLC posters who posted swole selfies actually followed the rules of the contest by including a username sign :v:

Now that we're back to non-swole portraits:

Amy, Dunes, Seaview by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Oh, this is fantastic. Snap luck, or did you ask her to stand like that?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

thetzar posted:

Oh, this is fantastic. Snap luck, or did you ask her to stand like that?

It was posed. Snapshots aren't a thing with a 4x5 field camera :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

thetzar posted:

Yay, the portrait thread is back! I've taken a number of them recently. Been trying to back away a little bit; I tend to reflexively get close in to faces. Still doing it here, but attempting to mix it up a bit.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but this picture feels like something you made because you know how to use a camera, not because you were looking to express something about your subject. In my opinion there is nothing about the brim of her hat that is so important to this shot to merit focusing on it in lieu of everything else. It feels like a well executed DOF/focus assignment for a beginning photo class and not a meaningful portrait of this person. I know there are a million cool things to do in photography, but don't disrespect your subjects with gimmicks. I'm sure a "gimmick" wasn't your intent, but a simple portrait that makes a connection with your subject is more effective than visible camera tricks 99.9% of the time.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but this picture feels like something you made because you know how to use a camera, not because you were looking to express something about your subject. In my opinion there is nothing about the brim of her hat that is so important to this shot to merit focusing on it in lieu of everything else. It feels like a well executed DOF/focus assignment for a beginning photo class and not a meaningful portrait of this person. I know there are a million cool things to do in photography, but don't disrespect your subjects with gimmicks. I'm sure a "gimmick" wasn't your intent, but a simple portrait that makes a connection with your subject is more effective than visible camera tricks 99.9% of the time.

You're right, that does sound harsh, but it's not the least bit unappreciated. And you're right, this was just a cool thing that I did in the middle of what was a quick portrait session at the end of a day of product shots, when the focus caught the brim of the hat. Is it a meaningful portrait, certainly not -- just something I thought looked cool. But I very much like the fact that you've slapped my hand for bothering with it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've only been taking impromptu portraits for people, but I've gotten more than a handful of ones that I'm happy with so far. Now that we're back from YLLS it is time to get some judgement.

Also is there some simple way to make snazzy flickr posts like I see everyone else doing with the hotlinked title of photo/name of shooter and thumbnail thats also a link?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It seems to be the default for me when I click the box and arrow in Flickr and use "Grab the HTML/BB Code."

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I think since my account is newer my share functions are different, the box and arrow share button leads to just images of different sharing services, a [url] and [img] tagged set of links and some <iframe> code. No option of BBcode. Also every time I go to grab the link I have to set the photo to private, refresh, then back to public and refresh again before it gives me the link. Every time I log-in.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I think since my account is newer my share functions are different, the box and arrow share button leads to just images of different sharing services, a [url] and [img] tagged set of links and some <iframe> code. No option of BBcode. Also every time I go to grab the link I have to set the photo to private, refresh, then back to public and refresh again before it gives me the link. Every time I log-in.

The [url] and [img] tagged set of links IS BBcode.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

MrBlandAverage posted:

The [url] and [img] tagged set of links IS BBcode.

Oh, in which case I guess I wasn't being quite clear when I mean the extra stuff like
vvvvv

I mean I know I could just set it up by hand, but I wondered if there was something auto-generating it I was missing.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
That stuff is all auto generated but I heard some accounts aren't seeing it due to the recent layout fuckery?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mightaswell posted:

That stuff is all auto generated but I heard some accounts aren't seeing it due to the recent layout fuckery?

I actually bounce back and forth between the "normal, functional" version and the "weird, all hosed up" version seemingly at random.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
It was very cold in New York yesterday, and I took it as an opportunity to both take some photos in the office, as well as try out Exposure. Here are a couple of shots:

The full set is an Exposure grouping here. Exposure is a neat little toy. Not too flexible, but man — if Flickr hadn't been sleeping for the last five years, it's just the sort of thing they SHOULD have built. Integration with my photostream would be hugely useful.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugandans made great subjects when I lived there, especially in the remote areas. There is practically no shyness when it comes to cameras, in fact they are hugely novel, especially digital cameras with a preview screen; everyone wants to have a go. These were taken while I was working in Atiak IDP camp near the Sudanese border.

The Landlady by limeyrock, on Flickr

Kids, Atiak IDP by limeyrock, on Flickr

Girl, Atiak IDP by limeyrock, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ashley by SPV Photo, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

. by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

One of the few okay shots from a recent portrait session that didn't turn out as planned.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
She looks pissed. What did you say to get her to stop grinning? This picture sort if implies she was stood up!

Anyways, I think you should have changed the way the lighting was hitting her. Instead of having it bisecting her face, you should have shadows to contour the face.

8th-snype posted:

. by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

One of the few okay shots from a recent portrait session that didn't turn out as planned.

Would you mind explaining what exactly went wrong during your shot that made it go awry?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

KingsPawn posted:

Would you mind explaining what exactly went wrong during your shot that made it go awry?

I told her I wanted a casual look, see how she's dressed? We were in a park, on a hill, in Jan so basically I could only shoot on the sidewalk. It was not ideal. She kept complaining about how cold she was, I just reminded her that I didn't pick the outfit.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I'm actually fine with the lighting on her, but that composition is killing me. Cutting off the top of her head and the bottoms of her feet looks severely crowded, and that vast sea of negative space on frame right feels conceptually hollow. You use negative space to express its relationship to the subject, or vice versa. I'm just not feeling any reason for it in this frame.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

McMadCow posted:

I'm actually fine with the lighting on her, but that composition is killing me. Cutting off the top of her head and the bottoms of her feet looks severely crowded, and that vast sea of negative space on frame right feels conceptually hollow. You use negative space to express its relationship to the subject, or vice versa. I'm just not feeling any reason for it in this frame.

I like it that way, actually - an uncomfortable composition for an uncomfortable subject.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Frankly, it's the best of a bad bunch. I'm not particularly happy with it either.

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle
I did a shoot last night with a couple for some anniversary photos. Couple of my favs:

Downtown by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

Snow Day by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

Evening Kiss by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Yessssss.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Thissssss.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

See what happens when you give a poo poo?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

the hodag posted:

I did a shoot last night with a couple for some anniversary photos. Couple of my favs:

I really like the first one! The building looks awesome.

Personally I find the flash on the 3rd one to be a bit too harsh. The orange background and the white ring around them just feels too disjointed to me.

But I'm a newbie who is just starting into this stuff, so I may be way off.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

The translucency of the skin in this looks unlike anything I've ever seen. Is it just because she's old, or does the fact that it's taken on film have something to do with it?

Elfa in the mirror by fuglsnef, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm not sure what you mean; translucence is passthrough of light, and in this photo you see fewer veins than in real life, the skin looks relatively non-transparent. Are you referring to the magenta cast in the shadow of her hand?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I'm specifically referring to the line of shadow on her face, where you can see a red area where the light penetrates through the skin. Directly next to that is a patch of skin in full sunlight, yet you can see details in both the darker red part, and the fully-exposed-to-sunlight part.

What I was wondering is: does film respond differently to highlights than digital - does it capture more detail in the upper ranges of brightness?

But really, what I should do is get my flash out and see if I can recreate this for myself, just need to figure out how to age forty years...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That is partially the response curve of film and partially the processing. Color negative film compresses highlights, capturing more apparent detail, rather than blowing them out (up to a point, a very high point with portra).

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I went walking around with some friends in the city last weekend. We took pictures of each other and random other people.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

thetzar posted:

I went walking around with some friends in the city last weekend. We took pictures of each other and random other people.

This is a 9/10 for me. If he wasn't addressing the camera, I'd say it would be a 10.
Very nice shot though, well done.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Are there jumping portraits that aren't pretty much just Halsman? I was looking at these, and some are very nice, and the style is slightly different, but they seem fundamentally the same as Halsman in intent and insidious appeal of showing some 'unguarded, true' self in the midst of jumping.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Oh right, portraits.
I did a boring one of a giraffe a little while back.

Louise den intense giraf by AFBK, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

This is a 9/10 for me. If he wasn't addressing the camera, I'd say it would be a 10.
Very nice shot though, well done.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Recently developed a roll of Ilford 3200 I'd been keeping in my old Minolta for a couple years.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

I can't help but think that this would've been so much better with a full CTO on your lights.

thetzar posted:

It was very cold in New York yesterday, and I took it as an opportunity to both take some photos in the office, as well as try out Exposure. Here are a couple of shots:

The full set is an Exposure grouping here. Exposure is a neat little toy. Not too flexible, but man — if Flickr hadn't been sleeping for the last five years, it's just the sort of thing they SHOULD have built. Integration with my photostream would be hugely useful.

I really like these, what's your light setup? Also, I really need an 85 1.8.

I really haven't done portraits before, so I went out for a few hours with a friend, did a bit of styling and makeup with her, and snapped off some portraits. Next time around I'd like to do some with some lighting, but these shots turned out all right I guess. Not sure I like the processing :effort:

DSC_0001 by chazaraz, on Flickr
I got a Tokina 80-200 2.8 mostly for video, it looks all right here but it doesn't seem to be as sharp as the cheapo 50 1.8.

DSC_0192 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_0151 by chazaraz, on Flickr
poo poo this thing flares like crazy :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Who says 300/2.8s cant be used for portraits

5D3_3434 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_5187 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_7146 by capacity4action, on Flickr