Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

feedmyleg posted:

I had my first date in 2.5 years, which was my first blind (internet) date in like 7 years, having only dated people I already knew and was already very comfortable with since. It went very well and my anxiety didn't destroy me like I had spiralled about in my head. I also communicated that I was in a weird place and she was totally cool with that. We kissed and it was very nice.

Even if this doesn't go somewhere, it's broken a seal in my head that I'd built up way too much for no reason. Thanks, therapy!!

This is a big thing and I'm proud of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

feedmyleg posted:

I had my first date in 2.5 years, which was my first blind (internet) date in like 7 years, having only dated people I already knew and was already very comfortable with since. It went very well and my anxiety didn't destroy me like I had spiralled about in my head. I also communicated that I was in a weird place and she was totally cool with that. We kissed and it was very nice.

Even if this doesn't go somewhere, it's broken a seal in my head that I'd built up way too much for no reason. Thanks, therapy!!

Kissing someone for the first time is always a wonderful getting, IMO. :hellyeah:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got taken to one of my favorite restaurants for my birthday, they gave me the recipe for my favorite margarita there, and I got this as a birthday gift:
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/nasa-space-shuttle-discovery-10283

pretty good start to a vacation tbh

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Captain Invictus posted:

I got taken to one of my favorite restaurants for my birthday, they gave me the recipe for my favorite margarita there, and I got this as a birthday gift:
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/nasa-space-shuttle-discovery-10283

pretty good start to a vacation tbh

Woah that's real cool, enjoy! I have always liked how those giant Lego builds look, but I still haven't pulled the trigger (and I more likely don't need another expensive hobby).

Got Pfizer'd today, second day for the 30+ community here in Spain. Feels good so far, looking forward to the second dose.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shellception posted:

Woah that's real cool, enjoy! I have always liked how those giant Lego builds look, but I still haven't pulled the trigger (and I more likely don't need another expensive hobby)
If you want a solid display piece for your home, they've been putting out stuff for adults for a while now, and a lot of them are pretty relaxing to build. all of the NASA stuff like the shuttle are fantastic, and there's things like the Saturn V Rocket, Bonsai Tree, etc. there's a lot of stuff for adult builders, even brick-built artwork and plants. the bouquet is really neat, using pterodactyl wings for leaves and car hoods for large petals is an inspired choice:

and, uh, a sneaker

join us

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Jul 14, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was feeling a bit bummed out by this thread about a goon who died of cancer, literally midpost, but the thread quickly turned into people donating to cancer research so it really turned my mood around.

May angels carry him to his final rest, with parting words ringing out across the land, "jizz lobber"

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The goon made game Waves of Steel has finally announced that it is hitting early access launch on Steam July 21st.
I've been helping the dev by testing it for...err...3 months? half a year? something like that.
Seeing it finally get posted with a release day is goddamn awesome.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Went for a fairly long woodland walk today and saw:
A kingfisher; I've only seen one two times before in my whole life

A lizard; you see them very rarely in Ireland. They are native, but they only come out on hot sunny days, so I have absolutely no idea how they survive for the 364 other days of the average year here.

2 Great Crested Grebe families; one with 6 babbies, the other with 2. They are very cute :3:

Some tiny froglets, just at the stage when the tadpole tail has dropped off, so they were extremely teeny.

It was a very awesome wildlife spotting day. It's a place we walk very often, so seeing so many unusual things together was very exciting.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I made cookies and cream cupcakes, and they came out not exactly beautiful, but still good (not always a guarantee with vegan baking).

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Katamari Democracy posted:

God works in mysterious ways. I got my DOT card and because it took me long I got turned down from the job.

I did; get an interview with a medical Logistics company. And I got accepted into the job today. My first official day will be this Thursday.

I applied for a job out of my loving league and I pretty much nailed the interview and the job. I can loving do ANYTHING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcreG-bhRRA

So I had my 90 day progress report on my job today and got a plaque with my name on it at my office. So it's 100% official! I am now staying with this company, and in a few weeks I will be going from hourly to salary. With much better pay and a good chunk of benefits beginning late August. I was even able to get a bonus check from the company today which was...wow. Just Wow.

I was a bit worried about Salary which I was a bit worried about being forced to stay late. My boss is cool and when I talked to him about it he basically said I will still be "Clocking in" to determine if I am still coming in on time and whatnot. But I will not be allowed to work more than 45 hours a week. The performance I have done at work has been more than what my company offered and I have even did some educational document changes that have benefitted the company for the better. Basically I was told that as long as I get my work done, help the team out whenever necessary, and continue doing what I was doing I can still work my 40 hours and keep having financial stability with the company.

But the Salary is about a 200% increase from my hourly wage, and with the benefits it's loving nice. I have successfully been able to adapt, learn, and fit in with my team and they are planning a welcoming party next week.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
And in case anyone is wondering about what my new job is. Its in the Health industry. I am a part of what is known as "Quality". Meaning I am one of the reasons why medical kits are so expensive.

You have Covid Kits, biopsy kits, and etc that have to be built my people in the USA and other parts of the world. My company produces and sells kits to families not only in the USA but everywhere in the world. Since the Covid-19 Pandemic has been a real thing; our company made it cheap and easy to help people get the test done. But because humans make these things; there is room for error. That is where I come in. I have to talk with the customer, create a BOM (Build of Materials) send it to production, and once final QC (Quality Check) checks off on all of the materials before being shipped out I have to do random checks on the items to make sure there are no discrepencies.

From a goon standpoint: It's like Papers Please but in real life. I have to check Documents, PMI's, LOT numbers, and way more depending on different companies so they dont come Emailing me asking why their poo poo is hosed up. Ever since I was hired our complaints have dropped so much that two customers have asked us to not longer spot check. Since I began our HIPPA violations have dropped dramatically because I have provided training materials to our employees during retraining. I was also able to talk with U-line about producing specified products that we can buy so certain medical kits wont get shitcanned during transport. Which not only saved the company a shitload of money but it also eliminated complaints from the customers.

I also handle internal Audits through Root cause analysis, handle Document control through our system, provide emergency backup in case if anyone calls out of work from production, distribution, and QC (Jack of all trades), I talk to clients with a translator in places like Bulgaria, Sweden, and more. I do a lot of things but I am the guy that has to inspect and stamp my seal of "Quality" on every product. What really makes this awesome is that the medical kits we make at my company has to go to someone's family. So to me, I am making a positive difference in people's health around the world. And for that im proud of that.

I studied computer networks and Amazon AWS in College. So what the gently caress

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My credit rating took a nosedive during the pandemic and the place that originally issued my credit card decided not to renew it as a result. I found out today that I got approved for a credit card through my bank and it doesn't have an annual fee and it's got a decent limit on it. So, uh, hooray I guess.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Feeding a teenager can be expensive, so finding two bags of slightly sad looking chopped kale marked down from $2 a bag to $.75 was an awesome find for me. I needed greens for a meal prep recipe I'm making for the two of us, and that brings the cost for eight meals worth of that particular ingredient down from $4 to $1.50. So nice. It's not going to matter the kale was very clearly on its last legs once it's been all wilted in the pot.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Here's a stupid and pointless little thing that made me happy today!

Early in the pandemic I got my first dog ever! I was super fortunate to be able to coordinate my day schedule with my partner's evening schedule to basically have one of us around the pup all the time (she's never pooped indoors and had maybe a half dozen peeing accidents ever).

Dizi is the best dog and is super well behaved and trained. I'm very proud of her because we put a loving ton of work in and still do. As a fresh puppy, she loved to roll around and play on her back. It was adorable and and her on command rolls were just the cutest thing (the command word being "they see you rollin'", obviously).

One day she just stopped wanting to be on her back in any situation except when she was asleep in her crate. Came out of nowhere and one of the very few things that upset her is trying to get her on her back. No idea why it started but any to any on the back stuff Dizi says, NO!

We've been working on it and can't quite get her to roll on command again yet, but she's starting to roll over for belly scritches and lightly snoozing on her side and half on her back.

Today, Dizi took a long nap on the couch next to my partner while on her back:

About the least important thing to happen in the world today, but it made me smile so I figured I'd flex my perfect dog and try to improve your day some too!

Here's a few more pics of Diziet Sma

You love Dizi now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am finally free of this damnable bandage contact lens that is ridiculously big and thick

the last week has been an utterly miserable existence after my eye surgery and having that sucker attached to my eyeball, but it is finally gone. they had to clockwork orange my eyelids open to get the loving thing out because I was practically crawling up the chair backwards from the pain, but it is done. I am so happy. he said the eye looks good and when I can open it again after a day or two, I am hoping everything will once again be clear and unobstructed by corneal scarring. I am quite uncomfortable right now, but the antibiotic eyedrops and liquid oxycodone are kicking in, so I'm sure I'll be feeling juuuuuust fine shortly. I am typing this with my eyes closed, one benefit to being on the computer all the time is I can post while blind :v:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I am finally free of this damnable bandage contact lens that is ridiculously big and thick

the last week has been an utterly miserable existence after my eye surgery and having that sucker attached to my eyeball, but it is finally gone. they had to clockwork orange my eyelids open to get the loving thing out because I was practically crawling up the chair backwards from the pain, but it is done. I am so happy. he said the eye looks good and when I can open it again after a day or two, I am hoping everything will once again be clear and unobstructed by corneal scarring. I am quite uncomfortable right now, but the antibiotic eyedrops and liquid oxycodone are kicking in, so I'm sure I'll be feeling juuuuuust fine shortly. I am typing this with my eyes closed, one benefit to being on the computer all the time is I can post while blind :v:

:stare: drat, glad you got that out of your eye!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

:toot:

I'm happy that you will soon be able to put this behind you and I can stop thinking about it! :gonk:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Too cringey for user Dick Trauma

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brawnfire posted:

Too cringey for user Dick Trauma

Dick Trauma is very specific about the kind of trauma he wants to experience!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dick Trauma is very specific about the kind of trauma he wants to experience!

:getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was going through some old stuff that had been packed away for many, many years. among them are my late sister's photos from a trip we took to new york city in may of 2000 during a very foggy day, that she took with some camera that produced weirdly wide photos.

among them were multiple shots from different angles of the World Trade Center, disappearing up into the clouds.

I thought they were really cool photos back when she took them, now they just feel eerie. but I'm glad I found them, I had completely forgotten about this group of photos until now.

also, my eye has mostly healed now. will need to get it checked out and maybe a new prescription for glasses since I think something has changed with it, but I can read the text I am typing on my screen with my left eye, which is a marked improvement over pre-surgery.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Aug 9, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My wife got her second covid shot. That would be cause enough for being awesome, considering she works in a public-facing role and has one of the conditions that exacerbate covid. When she had her first shot, she had an allergic reaction to something in the solution, bad enough that she got epi jabs and a trip to the hospital for observation. (She's had allergic reactions to other vaccinations in the past, so we are were expecting it, but still.) So we figured she was probably boned for a second dose.

But nope, our local health board set her up with an allergist who administered the second shot as a slow drip along with a fuckton of antihistamines. She's gonna be real sleepy the rest of the day, but she's a whole lot safer, just in time for the delta wave.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Phy posted:

My wife got her second covid shot. That would be cause enough for being awesome, considering she works in a public-facing role and has one of the conditions that exacerbate covid. When she had her first shot, she had an allergic reaction to something in the solution, bad enough that she got epi jabs and a trip to the hospital for observation. (She's had allergic reactions to other vaccinations in the past, so we are were expecting it, but still.) So we figured she was probably boned for a second dose.

But nope, our local health board set her up with an allergist who administered the second shot as a slow drip along with a fuckton of antihistamines. She's gonna be real sleepy the rest of the day, but she's a whole lot safer, just in time for the delta wave.

One of the few people out there who vaccines actually fucks over and she still takes it like a champ. Tell your wife that at least one random dude on the internet thinks she's a hero.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inceltown posted:

One of the few people out there who vaccines actually fucks over and she still takes it like a champ. Tell your wife that at least one random dude on the internet thinks she's a hero.

Two random dudes at least!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

She's everything the very evil antivaxxers are not. Power to the vaxxed lady!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

Tell your wife that at least one random dude on the internet thinks she's a hero.

I did, and she gave me a funny look and said "I'm not a hero, I'm just doing my civic duty."

Hell of a way to find out I married Superman

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Phy posted:

I did, and she gave me a funny look and said "I'm not a hero, I'm just doing my civic duty."

Hell of a way to find out I married Superman

Awesome.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is such a little thing but it really made my day.

I got an urge a few days ago to replay Knights of the Old Republic, and since the xbox360 emulated version is terrible, I dug out my ancient Xbox and got going. All seemed fine, except the on/off button doesn't work and the consoles internal clock wouldn't remember the right settings after you unplugged it.
So I googled fixes for the power button thing, and it turns out old Xboxes have a fatal flaw in that the capacitor which powers the clock loving leaks acid after about 10 years and will literally melt through the motherboard.

So we did console surgery today.

My very helpful brother took apart my 20 year-old Xbox and removed the leaky capacitor, cleaned up the residual leakage, while I handed him tools and cleaned up the waste materials.

It was like a console appendectomy.
Put her back together and she's running good as new :unsmith:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mending, fixing, and keeping old poo poo going in general is super blessed. Keep it up!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cocaine Bear posted:

Mending, fixing, and keeping old poo poo going in general is super blessed. Keep it up!

Thank you!

Actually, finding out that this was such a ubiquitous thing really annoyed me. I know old Xboxes aren't exactly a treasured relic, but they do deserve to be included in examples of early 2001st century technology, and the fact that most of them are going to melt because Microsoft did their usual thing of cheaping out on tiny trivialities does irritate me.

I worked for a good while in games testing back in the day, and the difference in sturdiness between Microsoft and Sony consoles was INSANE. PS2s basically never broke, no matter what, but Xboxes were fried if you looked at them funny. Subsequent generations were the same. PS = weird but tough, Xbox = familiar but fragile and cheapo.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The 360 vs the PS3 was similar, at least in my experience. I personally had two 360s RRoD on me, and know several people who also had it happen, where I don't know anyone who experienced the somewhat equivalent YLoD with their PS3s.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The 360 vs the PS3 was similar, at least in my experience. I personally had two 360s RRoD on me, and know several people who also had it happen, where I don't know anyone who experienced the somewhat equivalent YLoD with their PS3s.

I had a lightly used retail 360 rrod on me after about 2 years, never had a PS1, ps2, ps3, PS4 crap out at all, ever. They are all still truckin' along. It sounds like an exaggeration, but back in the Xbox original years, at work we had a constant cycle of 10-15% of the Xbox test stock being sent back for fixing when all of the ps2s just needed to be joggled a bit to get them working just fine.
My own elderly work ps2 could only detect a disc lying down, but could only run it standing up, so I just... adjusted its position as required. It kept on trucking the whole time I was there.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The only issue I have ever had with a Sony system was the laser in my PS3 crapped out once, and that just took some minor work to fix.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I was going through some old stuff that had been packed away for many, many years. among them are my late sister's photos from a trip we took to new york city in may of 2000 during a very foggy day, that she took with some camera that produced weirdly wide photos.
Kodak APS film in panorama mode.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I just got hired for a better paying, much more consistently scheduled job than what I currently have. It will allow me to spend more time with my kid, and just generally let me relax.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Congrats! Never forget that work is just there to pay for life and your real life is everything else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cocaine Bear posted:

Congrats! Never forget that work is just there to pay for life and your real life is everything else.
very important thing to distinguish. I was working 11-13 hour days for a long time while also taking care of my mom and having next to no time for myself, and was having multiple nervous breakdowns because of it. I finally said I would start working at my contractually agreed upon time, not early, and I've felt so much better since now that i have time to myself to get my own things done. Sure I took a pay hit of course since I'm not working as many hours, but gently caress it, time is money.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Helped a stranger afford to feed her kids. Not here for praise, no true altruism etc etc, it just felt good.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Killingyouguy! posted:

Helped a stranger afford to feed her kids. Not here for praise, no true altruism etc etc, it just felt good.

I know you're not looking for praise, but you did a good thing! Your goodness makes my day better :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter had her pre-K orientation today and I can't stop crying

It's awesome and so sweet but also when the gently caress did this happen