Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

If you do sign up with a gym, make sure to check every gym in your area and read reviews online.

LA Fitness has a horrible reputation for charging you membership even after you cancel. Granted, most gyms have this problem, but some are less of a problem than others.
My friend paid for my guest pass one time so I could show him how to do squats, cleans, and deadlifts properly, and I was shocked and appalled at how people work out. I mean other than the awkward "pretend no one else is around you" mentality everyone has, it was just painful watching guys do squats on their toes and their rear end not even getting as low as their knees. Or doing deadlifts with a giant arch in their back and not going down all the way.

But yeah I don't plan on paying for LA or any other big box gym. I'll spend the oodles of money for Crossfit before I do that. If I ever do by any chance I'll heed your advice and read reviews.

Gio fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Gio posted:

My friend paid for my guest pass one time so I could show him how to do squats, cleans, and deadlifts properly, and I was shocked and appalled at how people work out. I mean other than the awkward "pretend no one else is around you" mentality everyone has, it was just painful watching guys do squats on their toes and their rear end not even getting as low as their knees. Or doing deadlifts with a giant arch in their back and not going down all the way.

But yeah I don't plan on paying for LA or any other big box gym. I'll spend the oodles of money for Crossfit before I do that. If I ever do by any chance I'll heed your advice and read reviews.

My LA fitness (fancy Signature Club) only costs me $30 a month because my Ballys closed and they rolled me into this location with my grandfathered rate. They offer crossfit classes as part of your membership which I've been considering trying out because gently caress, crossfit anywhere else is ridiculously overpriced.

The gym is by far an interesting and awkward place. Lots of people going there and just doing whatever in the hell they think they're supposed to do at the gym and probably causing more damage to their bodies than good. My favorite is watching people stretch and bouncing super hard, or lifting with their backs.

The part that sucks is most people at the gym are either juice heads just trying to bulk up or people who walk on the elliptical while reading People magazine. Anyone pushing it actually trying to improve looks really out of place and awkward.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gio posted:

I may have missed this, but if you're in CA (going from the fact you mentioned LA Fitness), check a Costco out. Mine sells 1-year memberships to 24-Hour Fitness for $300 or so, which works out to $25/month.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I think what time you go also affects how the gym environment is. I go during my lunch break from work. I also work in Midtown Manhattan..meaning people who are in the gym on their lunch hour are there to go loving hard cause they have no other time to go to the gym. However people are nice at the NYSC I go to and you can even talk about working out and bullshitting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

Yeah, I've been paying a trainer to teach me how to do all this stuff correctly and it's gotten amusing. People will literally follow me around and repeat what I just did. They tend to follow trainers working with clients too. I still don't have much of a physique, so they aren't keying off the fact that I'm ripped or anything.. they're just picking up on the fact that I sort of know what I'm doing and looking for some guidance of their own.

Which makes it a huge shame trainers are so expensive, working out with a partner is critically important to getting an effective workout, and working out with someone who knows technique is even better.

I'd argue that these kinds of basics should be taught in high school, as I went through four years of high school level "physical education" and never once lifted a weight, but I guess that might be expecting too much.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Why are you so dead set on crossfit? It's a good thing you didn't go to w&w because you would probably have gotten poo poo for it there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, W&W gives people poo poo over everything. The amount of poo poo given over there should not factor into whether anything is a good or bad idea.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

99% of it is actually solid advice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Maybe it's different in other parts of the country, but Crossfit here is 4x-6x as much as LA Fitness and the classes to be absolutely swarmed. And that's before you go get the Costco deal Zetty mentioned earlier.

I love crossfit but I managed to hurt myself 2 times in 2 months when I never really get hurt doing other workouts or playing hockey regularly. I guess I'm too competitive and use the "it's all for time!" mentality to do the lifts correctly when I am fatigued.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Wanna get big? Wanna get strong? Lift heavy weights, don't swing around on a pull-up bar. Just my 2 cents. I don't lift anymore out of laziness but I used to and among the experts of the field, cross-fit is generally frowned upon.

Just ask mark rippetoe

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wanna get fast and strong and beat NHL players at playing hockey. :colbert:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Lawnie posted:

Just ask mark rippetoe

Is that his name or is that a nickname from a horrific foot injury suffered in crossfit?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

sellouts posted:

And don't be afraid of falling. Falling means you're pushing and expanding your comfort level and is a part of learning!

I fell once to protect a little girl. I was practicing skating backwards in the uninhabited middle of the ice and this poor little girl with her grandmother had fell and slid right in my path. Rather than attempt to skate around her or stop (neither of which I could do) I just kinda hurled myself backwards over her and landed square on my back. Didn't really hurt, was a bit stiff the next day, but otherwise all okay.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

Is that his name or is that a nickname from a horrific foot injury suffered in crossfit?

It's his name he wrote starting strength and he's extremely well-respected

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Why are you so dead set on crossfit? It's a good thing you didn't go to w&w because you would probably have gotten poo poo for it there.

Wanna get big? Wanna get strong? Lift heavy weights, don't swing around on a pull-up bar. Just my 2 cents. I don't lift anymore out of laziness but I used to and among the experts of the field, cross-fit is generally frowned upon.

Just ask mark rippetoe
Which is why I didn't post in W&W. And to be honest, posts like these are what I was expecting had I done so.

Look, I am not dead set on Crossfit because it is some elite training program for the fittest on Earth, or whatever other pretentious bullshit hardcore Crossfiters go by. My biggest problem is motivation, and the community-based atmosphere at the Crossfit near me was great and made me want to go work out. So if you're asking why I'm dead set on Crossfit, I'm not. I'm dead set on spending my money on something that will motivate me to work out, and maybe make working out not such a chore.

Hey, if you have an alternative suggestion, I'm all ears. Honestly, I'm pleading ignorance because I'm sure there's a host of alternatives I'm not aware of.

Why do I want to work out? Because when I'm old, I still want to be playing hockey like a lot of the bums I see on the ice at drop-in and in beer leagues. Do I want to increase strength? Yeah, but not to be "big". I'm well past that point of adolescent insecurity. This is for an all around healthy lifestyle kind of thing, ya know?

xzzy posted:

I wanna get fast and strong and beat NHL players at playing hockey. :colbert:
Oh yeah this, too. Heard the Wings had open tryouts next year.

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2012

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well that was a fun game playing out for my rookie league team. Not only did we get our goalie a shutout but I had 3 assists, that of course got credited to the wrong guy.

Would've liked to have gotten a goal as well but oh well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

Oh yeah this, too. Heard the Wings had open tryouts next year.

Pfft, tryouts. I think there was a scout in the stands when I was at drop in last week!! At least that was the conclusion I came to when I got bored of watching some kid dangle up and down the ice like no one ever taught him what a pass was.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I do Rippletoe's Starting Strength and crossfit. I like them both.

Every single criticism of crossfit is something that can be avoided. "People do insane amounts of reps until they get rhabdo and die". Okay well, don't do so many reps. "Crossfitters force themselves to do wild kipping pullups until they blow out their shoulders". Okay, don't attempt a set of 50 pullups if you can't do 5 yet. "Crossfitters will do compound or Olympic lifts at weights that are too high with horrible form". Learn correct form and find a range that's suitable for you. "Crossfitters wear silly socks and make fun of anyone that does anything different." Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Instead of making constructive criticism and changes that improve crossfit, people completely dismiss it as being entirely useless. Crossfit does a lot of things really well. Yes, they encourage some stupid things - DON'T DO THOSE THINGS.

Right now I'm doing Starting Strength 3 times a week and after I supplement with crossfit work. I absolutely love both aspects. SS builds your strength, and the cf work I do is great for conditioning and athleticism.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been meaning since I first wrote this thread to do a writeup on hockey fitness. Maybe I'll get working on that.

In the meantime Complete Conditioning for Hockey by Peter Twist was our bible when I was playing competitively. It appears he has updated it but you should get the one with Pavel Bure because. I don't think there is a better resource out there.

I dunno about crossfit and all that jazz, but a lot of Twist talks about is sort of proto-crossfit in a lot of ways, just tuned more for those important hockey areas. He also includes a bunch of personal anecdotes about players that are pretty mind blowing. The one I remember most is that apparently Joe Sakic was as strong as your average NFL offensive tackle.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 21, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hockeyot.com is decent if you just want to be told what to do. You take some baseline tests and select what you want to improve at. Hit a button, it spews out 4 weeks of workouts and then you go do them.

It does require gym access though.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

bigmike posted:

I do Rippletoe's Starting Strength and crossfit. I like them both.

Every single criticism of crossfit is something that can be avoided. "People do insane amounts of reps until they get rhabdo and die". Okay well, don't do so many reps. "Crossfitters force themselves to do wild kipping pullups until they blow out their shoulders". Okay, don't attempt a set of 50 pullups if you can't do 5 yet. "Crossfitters will do compound or Olympic lifts at weights that are too high with horrible form". Learn correct form and find a range that's suitable for you. "Crossfitters wear silly socks and make fun of anyone that does anything different." Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Instead of making constructive criticism and changes that improve crossfit, people completely dismiss it as being entirely useless. Crossfit does a lot of things really well. Yes, they encourage some stupid things - DON'T DO THOSE THINGS.
Could not have put it better myself.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Crossfit owns. Most gyms that specialize in crossfit exclusively suck for newbies or people with questions. And they are usually loving expensive.

Just scraped up enough additional equipment to take a friend to stick time for the first time in his life. It was scheduled at the last minute so there were only 9 or so skaters and we had half the ice to ourselves.

I think he's hooked.

His wife is going to kill me.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

Crossfit owns. Most gyms that specialize in crossfit exclusively suck for newbies or people with questions. And they are usually loving expensive.

Just scraped up enough additional equipment to take a friend to stick time for the first time in his life. It was scheduled at the last minute so there were only 9 or so skaters and we had half the ice to ourselves.

I think he's hooked.

His wife is going to kill me.

Sorry, I've just hooked your husband on a hobby that will take up a bunch of his weekend time to go hang out with dudes and smell bad. Also it costs thousands of dollars.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's a lot of unhappy wives for this season on my team. A bunch of us are playing on a second team a league up. Fridays, Sunday's, and sometimes Mondays gone. It owns.

:dealwithit:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
my ex used to get butthurt about my wanting to play hockey all the time.

so i started dating another hockey player instead. problem solved. :getin:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Holy poo poo, we actually beat the top team in our division in our playoff round robin, 5-4. In the 3 regular season games against them they outscored us 16-3. Feels good man. Amazing how much more composed than normal my team was playing with a lead against these guys. Played way smarter.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Hey Bay Area hockey goons, PM me if any of you want my contact info to possibly sub for your team in Fremont/Oakland/SJ! I was super busy and didn't get the chance to find a team for the start of the Summer season.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had a 3v3 tonight. Can't say I've ever seen that before. Also, scoring 2 goals in 1 shift owns. One on a 5v3, then another like 10 seconds later on the 5v4. On the second, I got an assist off my winger's dick. I took a wrister from the slot, it deflected off a D-man's stick in front of the net, then deflected off the LW's cup and in.

Next stop for the team, tournament in San Jose. Games from Friday through Sunday morning (if we win, so probably not), then a beer league game Sunday night. Nonstop hockey owns, even if my gear will never dry out for 3 days. :getin:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 23, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Next stop for the team, tournament in San Jose. Games from Friday through Sunday morning (if we win, so probably not), then a beer league game Sunday night. Nonstop hockey owns, even if my gear will never dry out for 3 days. :getin:

We'll have to grab a beer and chill, you've been to that rink before right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

We'll have to grab a beer and chill, you've been to that rink before right?

Nope, never. Most of us are staying at the downtown Marriott for easy access to bars. Beers shall be had!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Nope, never. Most of us are staying at the downtown Marriott for easy access to bars. Beers shall be had!

I think we've stayed there before. Last 2 times we've gone to SJ tournaments we've had our rooms comped by a sponsor but the downside is it's a bit less convenient to downtown. But free. So whatever. v:shobon:v

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Did backwards crossovers in a circle for the first time in learn to skate. Got that poo poo down pat. I couldn't stop going too fast for myself to control at first, but the teacher told me to 'stop hopping' and 'slow down and make the crossover movement deliberate' so yea, was able to slow down a bit.

Training:
I haven't worked out in forever but I must be the odd duck. I like just getting my headphones on, and either lift or bike on whatever days I do what. I just do my thing, in my own little world. It is so relaxing. It just sucked waiting for the right poundage of weights some time. I used to work out really late (around 9pm). Maybe I should again.

I never got into the working out with a buddy thing because whenever I see other people do it, they spend half their time bullshitting (and could never find a friend to come work out), but I've got things to do. If I needed a spot, there were people who could help.

Anyway, I pretty much stuck to dumbells for every arm weight exercise except if I thought I was too tired to lift them/lay back/control for benches. Then I'd use the bar. I'd always use the bar for the squat area.

I hate, hate, hate running so I always wussed out and did a recumbent bike. For the bike, I would take timed segments and concentrate on pushing (or pulling) with a certain part of my leg. Like, for 3 minutes I'd concentrate with pushing with my glutes, the next would push with my thighs. The next, pull up with the flexors. Because, even with music or TV I'd get bored as hell.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Tanq lounge in that Marriott is the ultimate in cliche hotel bars and it rules. The last time I was there for work a guy was hitting on the very pregnant bartender.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

mintskoal posted:

Tanq lounge in that Marriott is the ultimate in cliche hotel bars and it rules. The last time I was there for work a guy was hitting on the very pregnant bartender.

You had me at "very pregnant bartender" what the Christ?!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Yeah, we usually stay there when we go down to see Sharks games, and end up drinking at the hotel bar afterward. Great place for people watching for sure. When we were there a month ago, my teammates convinced some random girl that I was Steve Yzerman (she actually knew who he was). The look on her face when she saw I had a Wings shirt on underneath my jacket was priceless. She asked her boyfriend to take a picture of us. Love that place.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Surfing Turtle posted:

You had me at "very pregnant bartender" what the Christ?!

Kid's gotta go to college, ya know

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Is there a good way to build up that ankle strength off ice? I'm getting down it down but didn't know if there was more I could do to help that bit along other than not tying my laces behind my skates.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Is there a good way to build up that ankle strength off ice? I'm getting down it down but didn't know if there was more I could do to help that bit along other than not tying my laces behind my skates.

Or just skate, not much you can do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can also get a dyna disc, it's a little rubber blister looking thing that you stand on to develop balance. It's nice because you can use it easily at home. Stand on it with one foot and stickhandle with a tennis ball.. you'll have hulk ankles and spiderman balance before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Got 1/8" heel lifts on my new One100s :clint:

Going from a Graf profile to a Bauer profile after 12 years is quite the leap.