Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I just bought some Aperol to make some spritz.

I'd like to use it for other cocktail. Any good ones? I think you can make negronis with aperol instead, some even put white vermouth instead of red­­. Thoughts on that?

Thanks thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Paper Plane
.75oz each bourbon, amaro, lemon, aperol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

KingColliwog posted:

I'd like to use it for other cocktail. Any good ones? I think you can make negronis with aperol instead, some even put white vermouth instead of red­­. Thoughts on that?

Thanks thread

stole this from The Art Of The Shim (sick book btw) and it's my go-to when someone wants a brunch cocktail that isn't a bloody mary or whatever. Also great cut down to 2/3rds and served in shot form to bachelorette parties

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks thread

Tbh I use aperol instead of campari where I can. I just am using campari right now because I got it for ridiculous cheap

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks thread

Equal parts gin, Aperol, and dry vermouth is a Contessa, and it's a pretty good drink. For my tastes, it's a lot more pleasant than a Negroni, but I've never really gotten the appeal of intensely bitter stuff like Campari.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I tried a Negroni with Lillet instead of Noilly Pratt rosso. Wife liked it but I prefer vermouth.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks thread

Try adding it to a Mai Tai build. Like this recipe suggests with Campari but Aperol instead: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/bitter-mai-tai/

I love Campari and Aperol both. I feel like Aperol is turned down a bit and plays better with wine. If I have lackluster white wine on hand a day or two old, I'll do half can LaCroix, wine, Aperol, maybe one other modifier. Great Spritz build.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

got some slick rear end sip-worthy spanish vermouth and i've made a few drinks with it today doing 2oz rittenhouse , .5oz Yzaguirre Reserva, .5 Lillet, a little Angostura and a generous dash or two of Regans Orange and it's been blowing my mind . Almost wanna menu it ... i'm usually bad with names but I'm thinking "Almost Perfect" is kinda cute. Here's the vermouth in question:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bruh your Sfumato Rubarbaro is empty

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Bruh your Sfumato Rubarbaro is empty

lol we left a little in there just so we can smell it . it's impossible to find around here :( (also you never answered my PM asking if you knew Oriana from Baby Wale!)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

lol we left a little in there just so we can smell it . it's impossible to find around here :( (also you never answered my PM asking if you knew Oriana from Baby Wale!)

I thought for sure I answered that. I don't know her :\

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks for all the Aperol suggestions. I've tried a few but haven't found a clear winner yet (besides the spritz but I don't see a regular bottle of sparkling wine budget anywhere). I think I had a paper plane in a bar a year or so ago and it was pretty good so I'm tempted to get Amaro, but I could just get more delicious rum. Decisions decisions decisions

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Joaquín Simó's Naked and Famous is my second favorite Aperol cocktail, behind the paper plane. Also TIL The paper plane is a last word riff.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

The paper plane is an airmail riff.

:ssh:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

Fart Car '97 posted:

I thought for sure I answered that. I don't know her :\

Lmao scratch that she was just our last guest tonight and we did shots with her on her way out and exchanged introductions because we'd never met and when she said her name I got excited and we had a conversation about internet friends that confused everyone around us

the drink sure has a lot more in common with a last word than an airmail tho. Equal parts, spirit/citrus/2 liqueurs, serve up????

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 26, 2017

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
So my dad likes fernet, puts it in his old fashions (a Toronto I think?). He usually drinks R. Jelinek Fernet. He recently bought a bottle of Paolo Lazzaroni E Figli fernet Amaro. Him and my brother tried it and they both think it's the worst thing they've ever had and it's like drinking turpentine.

So, is it more likely that a) they just don't like it or b) it's a bad bottle? I've had the jelinek Fernet, and I understand it's supposed to be smoother, but this seems like a big difference

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Lmao scratch that she was just our last guest tonight and we did shots with her on her way out and exchanged introductions because we'd never met and when she said her name I got excited and we had a conversation about internet friends that confused everyone around us

hell yeah! she's an old school college roommate and one more good reason i have to go visit D.C. -- glad y'all got to link up, hope it's sooner than later that we all get a drink together :pray:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really want to like Fernet Branca, but that overwhelming menthol taste that sits on top of the anise is just too much. I can enjoy it chilled, in small doses, but can't tolerate it neat. In either case I'd prefer a glass of Campari or Punt e Mes.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My brother is putting together some sort of rum and watermelon punch. What should his target ABV be before ice? He is planning on having a total of 5L of punch and using 1L of rum (35%) which works out to 7% ABV. I feel that might be a little low if he's serving over ice, right?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I really want to like Fernet Branca, but that overwhelming menthol taste that sits on top of the anise is just too much. I can enjoy it chilled, in small doses, but can't tolerate it neat. In either case I'd prefer a glass of Campari or Punt e Mes.

Try some other fernets. I recently grabbed one from Chicago called Fernet Dogma. Hardly any menthol, and has a strong coffee flavor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh yeah, I'm gonna try an amaro from Chicago. Nice try, Satan.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

angor posted:

My brother is putting together some sort of rum and watermelon punch. What should his target ABV be before ice? He is planning on having a total of 5L of punch and using 1L of rum (35%) which works out to 7% ABV. I feel that might be a little low if he's serving over ice, right?

I usually like an ABV of 10-12%. The lowest-octane punch I make is Limmer's, which is around 8%. At 7% you're gonna get pretty watery by the end of the night.

Not sure how to go about balancing a watermelon punch, since watermelon is probably mostly watery, but it also adds a bit of sweetness. I could see it being pretty fun though!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Kenning posted:

I usually like an ABV of 10-12%. The lowest-octane punch I make is Limmer's, which is around 8%. At 7% you're gonna get pretty watery by the end of the night.

Not sure how to go about balancing a watermelon punch, since watermelon is probably mostly watery, but it also adds a bit of sweetness. I could see it being pretty fun though!

I don't have the exact recipe and he's in another country. But the big flavors are watermelon juice (fresh), non-alc ginger beer, and lemon. It's being chilled overnight and he's done smaller bottles that he'll leave in the fridge and use to top up the bigger container to help keep it cool.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh yeah, I'm gonna try an amaro from Chicago. Nice try, Satan.

Vaguely related, I had someone pick me up a bottle of Malort from Chicago. The flavor reminds me of the unholy offspring of campari and a gin haters nightmare remembrance of what a really bad gin tasted like, with a slight bandaid aftertaste. So it has potential.

I'm not really a gin or campari person, so any suggestions on how to zazz this up a bit when I'm not making friends do shots of it for the giggles?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Malort appears to be the spice melange of awful booze; everyone agrees it has some things in common, but it seems to taste different for everyone and never the same way twice. I assume some people must be exaggerating because they describe it in wildly different ways.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's just wormwood flavor amplified a bunch and it sticks around on your palette forever

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Also, they have really bad batch control. Bottles literally taste different. Source: A friend of a friend works for them.

Edit: I've also drank my unfair share and can attest to it tasting different from bottle to bottle.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

angor posted:

Maybe you would work in some Green Chartreuse to compliment the watermelon flavor and increase the alcohol content? Watermelon and Chartreuse seems to go together really well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Also what kind of rum is 35%?

I second the 10-12% guideline, that's a good sweet spot.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Maybe you would work in some Green Chartreuse to compliment the watermelon flavor and increase the alcohol content? Watermelon and Chartreuse seems to go together really well.

What a brilliant idea! I'll let him know for next time. The punch was served yesterday. I was told it was a hit and they ran through about 4.5 litres (of the alcoholic version. They did a non-alc that they went through nearly 10 litres of) and everyone enjoyed it. He said it definitely could've been a bit stronger, but it was a weekday family gathering so it was perfect for what they needed.

I'm having my own wedding reception next year during the summer and will be serving punch almost exclusively. We'll have some spirits at the bar as well as a couple kegs of something hoppy, interesting, and local, but punch will be the highlight. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions when that starts to roll around (Kenning, get ready for a million questions).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I thought we were still talking about Malort and that you stole my recipe for big league chew shots

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

I thought we were still talking about Malort and that you stole my recipe for big league chew shots

lol please share this recipe . the hip service industry shot in my town right now is the "Newport" (1:1 Branca Menta & mezcal) but this sounds great too

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

goferchan posted:

lol please share this recipe . the hip service industry shot in my town right now is the "Newport" (1:1 Branca Menta & mezcal) but this sounds great too

1:1, and in fairness I trace it to a member of the Chicago scene because who else is playing around with Malort shots

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
AMARO by BTP has a whole section on 50/50s, with three Malört shots. Campari, Fernet Branca (or maybe mentha), and Jaeger.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

slut chan posted:

AMARO by BTP has a whole section on 50/50s, with three Malört shots. Campari, Fernet Branca (or maybe mentha), and Jaeger.

50/50 Campari and Malort sounds like the absolute worst thing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

1:1, and in fairness I trace it to a member of the Chicago scene because who else is playing around with Malort shots

lol i just tried it (and also tried malort by itself for the first time, gross) and it really does evoke the flavor of big league chew . my guilty pleasure is trashy shots that taste like familiar flavors (the "German Chocolate Cake" etc) so this is great to have under my belt, thank you .

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

goferchan posted:

lol i just tried it (and also tried malort by itself for the first time, gross) and it really does evoke the flavor of big league chew . my guilty pleasure is trashy shots that taste like familiar flavors (the "German Chocolate Cake" etc) so this is great to have under my belt, thank you .

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Archenteron posted:

50/50 Campari and Malort sounds like the absolute worst thing.
I still haven't taken the plunge and tried Malort, but I hate to see a single dram of Campari wasted.

So I just made what was basically a margarita, but with my ginger infusion instead of COintreau. It's pretty drat good.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Anything that helps you get rid of branca menta is ok in my book. I'm gonna start pushing the Newport on people. Definitely a fan of Ferraris (Fernet + Campari) and Fernars (Fernet + cynar). Also what my local spot calls Candy Bars, Fernet + Montenegro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

I just ordered another one so they can't be that bad