Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That Bumblebee promo shot is giving me major Dreamworks Face vibes. It's missing the cocked eyebrow, but otherwise it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Knormal posted:

That Bumblebee promo shot is giving me major Dreamworks Face vibes. It's missing the cocked eyebrow, but otherwise it's there.

No DreamWorks 2D art looks anything like it. The DreamWorks face has to be in full frontal assault 3D in order to be proper DreamWorks face.

You know what he does remind me of though, that awful Johnny Test show or Wild Grinders. The emotionless dull glare of excitement.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
"We need a fresh idea to really corner the increasingly saturated third-party robot, any suggestions?"

"Why not make a Metroplex that is both smaller and more expensive than the one Hasbro just put out?"

"...brilliant."

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Much better city mode, though.

Also, dear god the comments. What a bunch of pointlessly pissy idiots.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Apparently they were working on it for quite some time now, they didn't even do the silly silhouette thing. I'm sure there's still a market for it but it'll be pretty pricey.

It seems the latest RiD explains why Jhiaxus' new toy looks like starscream. It's a pretty dumb explanation, but eh...

e:VVV it's a pretty minor detail and not relevant to the story at all, but I'll spoiler it anyways then VVV

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 18, 2014

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Dang it Blackheart, not all of us read the previews.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

An Angry Bug posted:

Much better city mode, though.

Yeah it has a slightly better city mode, but it's still a bunch of blocks arranged to sorta look like a city. G1 Metroplex at least combines with the Scramble city leaders and stuff in city mode.

I Don't think there's been a Metroplex with a solid alt mode, even the cybertron Metroplex was just robot bent over to form vague construction equipment.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

3 posted:

"We need a fresh idea to really corner the increasingly saturated third-party robot, any suggestions?"

"Why not make a Metroplex that is both smaller and more expensive than the one Hasbro just put out?"

"...brilliant."

To be fair, he does look better.

...Although I have zero interest in buying one as I already have a bigger and cheaper Metroplex that looks good enough. This makes people angry.

The transformers fandom is so reactionary that if you say you aren't interested in buying a figure, people actually get pissed off. Like it's a personal offense and you need validation from others when you buy silly children's toys. Everything must be an angry flamewar at all times.

It's kind of funny\sad when you sit back and realize it's about toys and not things like religion or politics or things that actually matter.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

An Angry Bug posted:

Gammatron 64 posted:

The transformers fandom is so reactionary that if you say you aren't interested in buying a figure, people actually get pissed off. Like it's a personal offense and you need validation from others when you buy silly children's toys. Everything must be an angry flamewar at all times.

Forget it, Jake. It's TFW.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

To be fair, he does look better.

...Although I have zero interest in buying one as I already have a bigger and cheaper Metroplex that looks good enough. This makes people angry.

It's kind of funny\sad when you sit back and realize it's about toys and not things like religion or politics or things that actually matter.

The 3rd party subforum is pretty bad about this, even more than the regular cheapo hasbro toys forums. I think spending more on a figure makes people even more psycho about defending their buys/criticizing everyone else's. It's almost unreadable sometimes, particularly when there's two or more competing 3rd party figures of the same characters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

The transformers fandom is so reactionary that if you say you aren't interested in buying a figure, people actually get pissed off.
Most fandoms are stupid like that, though. Try telling a magic player you aren't interested in just ripping packs open and half of them go feral and chase you around.

Anyway is it just you going to TFCon: Toronto this year? I definitely have to go if Sarah Stone is selling prints ... Given shipping on prints is probably about admissions anyway...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Most fandoms are stupid like that, though. Try telling a magic player you aren't interested in just ripping packs open and half of them go feral and chase you around.

Anyway is it just you going to TFCon: Toronto this year? I definitely have to go if Sarah Stone is selling prints ... Given shipping on prints is probably about admissions anyway...

I plan on going and I've submitted vacation requests for Toronto and Chicago but my boss hasn't signed off on them yet. I submitted them like... a month ago. I haven't bought plane tickets yet. Hopefully I won't have a repeat of last year where I had to get them short notice and got screwed.

I think most goons are going to Chicago although I know a lot of twitter folks shooting for Toronto.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Spiderdrake posted:

I definitely have to go if Sarah Stone is selling prints ...

I have a few prints from her that I got last year. They're really nice.

The Taint Reaper posted:

even the cybertron Metroplex was just robot bent over to form vague construction equipment.
Cybertron Metroplex is a modified Krupp Excavator. They pretty much just took off the 2 support towers and added a shovel bucket to the back end of the boom.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Well that Metroplex sure does fix up two of my three problems I had with the Generations one. The look of it in all of it's modes, especially the carrier(those launch catapults!), is an improvement and it's small enough that I can actually put it on display. Too bad for Maketoys my third problem was price.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

quote:

Is that a removable clip? That's just silly.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is that a removable clip? That's just silly.

Silly AWESOME you mean.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rei_ posted:

Silly AWESOME you mean.

The clip doesn't even turn into a smaller robot.

When I pay for over engineered 3rd party stuff, I expect the best in over engineered 3rd party stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, I have a sudden trip to the US next week. What's out on Walmart/Target/TRU shelves right now?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I plan on going and I've submitted vacation requests for Toronto and Chicago but my boss hasn't signed off on them yet. I submitted them like... a month ago. I haven't bought plane tickets yet. Hopefully I won't have a repeat of last year where I had to get them short notice and got screwed.

I think most goons are going to Chicago although I know a lot of twitter folks shooting for Toronto.
I'm going to be at both! Can't wait!

The_Doctor posted:

So, I have a sudden trip to the US next week. What's out on Walmart/Target/TRU shelves right now?
Apparently Whirl has been sighted at Target but I haven't bothered to go find one since I had ordered one through Captured Prey. At TRU you can find the giant YOTH Starscream and blinged out MP-Optimus. Not much else to get excited about (at least in the Raleigh-NC area).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Doctor posted:

Scoop, Minicon team, Skywarp, and Armada Starscream.

Wave 2 of Legends

Voyagers are still Blaster, Grimlock, Sandstorm or Springer.

Platinum Starscream, and YOTH Optimus Prime are plentiful as is Platinum Ultra Magnus and Bruticus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've seen the Scoop/Minicon/Skywarp/Starscream wave, Blaster and Soundblaster and TRU plus those Platinum and YOTH dudes, and Whirl at Target.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The fact that we're not getting any Voyagers until Roadbuster and Skybyte(which seem to be a long ways off) makes me wonder just how sick we're going to be of Whirl,Rhinox, and Double Dealer once the new voyager wave actually hits.

I've yet to see any Rhinox and DD out in the wild.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Minicons\Starscream\Scoop\Skywarp wave has started to trickle in. We practically skipped the wave with Skids, and I never saw one in a store and had to resort to buying one off someone.

Voyager wise we have Springer, Blitzwing, Blaster and Soundwave clogging shelves everywhere and they're not going away anytime soon. I had to resort to getting Whirl, Rhinox and Doubledealer off HTS.

Speaking about that...

Whirl is awesome. One of my favorite voyagers in a long time. However his legs are terrifying and I've heard horror stories of people snapping them. Also, they are all mis-assembled so their thighs are backwards, and there's no way to switch them without pushing out the pins, so screw that. The gaps in helicopter mode aren't that bad, and I dig the gerwalk.

Rhinox is okay. He has trouble standing a bit. A know a lot of people are really psyched for him, but realistic beasts just don't do it for me that much. I was always a bigger fan of Transmetals and things like the Dinobots and Insecticons. I have a hard time getting excited for Beast Wars updates as the 90s toys are good enough for me, and in the case of Cheetor and Dinobot, they actually made them worse. Rhinox and Waspinator are legit, though.

If you didn't like Blitzwing, you're not going to like Doubledealer, as he has all of the same problems. While he's not the best toy, he DOES look nice on a shelf. He has an awesome paint job and color scheme. And well, Generations Blitzwing looks really good too, even though everything falls apart in your hands.

TheDK posted:

I'm going to be at both! Can't wait!

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you again!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh yeah I saw a Doubledealer at the same Target I saw Whirl at.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Are Whirl's guns supposed to combine somehow? They've got all these clips and everything and other than the one that fits over the end of his arm they don't seem to have anywhere to go in robot mode.

Edit: Also gently caress stickers.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

...and in the case of Cheetor and Dinobot, they actually made them worse.

I like the new BW guys enough that I was going to pick up Classic Cheetor and Dinobot; I know they weren't considered good, but do most people feel they are actually worse than the original versions?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

catch22 posted:

I like the new BW guys enough that I was going to pick up Classic Cheetor and Dinobot; I know they weren't considered good, but do most people feel they are actually worse than the original versions?

For Dinobot it depends on your nostalgia. His transformation and fine details are more show accurate than the original but that just kind of makes his figure less "awesome". His tail weapon doesn't spin, he's small and skinny, and his colors are all wrong unless you get the henkai version.

Cheetor... the original wasn't even a very good toy but it was still more show accurate. The new one doesn't even has his weapons and uh well

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Are Whirl's guns supposed to combine somehow? They've got all these clips and everything and other than the one that fits over the end of his arm they don't seem to have anywhere to go in robot mode.

Edit: Also gently caress stickers.

In robot mode, they can clip to his skids*, or peg to the holes under his arms. The fist box has a clip rail on it, so you can clip it to one of the other weapons in chopper mode.

I'm getting a YOTH Prime. I wish TRU had shipped it by Canada Post, since Purolator apparently can't even be arsed to get out of their truck to leave a door tag. Had the same problem with Fedex yesterday, too.

*The skids he lands on in chopper mode**, not the theoretician.
**Also not the theoretician, but it's Whirl so it's best to clarify.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rita Repulsa posted:

Cheetor... the original wasn't even a very good toy but it was still more show accurate. The new one doesn't even has his weapons and uh well

Man, he looks passable from the front, but that milkshake does not bring all the boys to the yard.

Also, is that legends wave 2 people are seeing the Cosmos/swerve one, or the Marketable 4 in BB, OP, Megs and SS?

Doctor, you can probably also find some of the Prime Beast Hunters stuff. That crap is shelf warming pretty well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And the Kreo and Construct-Bot bullshit.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

There goes any desire to buy that. In fact, all of them kind of suck. Henkei Dinobot is decent looking, but small and nowhere near worth his aftermarket price. Maybe as we get more good BW figs demand for redoes on those two will grow and some 3P will step up to the plate, that is if they aren't busy remaking figures Hasbro already got right.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

And the Kreo and Construct-Bot bullshit.

Hey now, Kre-o can be good, first wave Bumblebee is an amazing car build, and sideswipe is only slightly worse, and both are easy to get at Tuesday Mornings. It's the second wave and cheep ones from the first wave that can be big misses. I really hated the shrinking of the car sizes and robot modes of the quest for energon guys. The Kreons themselves are good fun too, except those cityville mini-kreons, those are crap. drat you AoE Kre-o sets for using them.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So whoever it was that said (RiD #27 spoilers) that Brainstorm was dead all along and would be the conduit that Optimus and the others would escape from was right.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

RaspberryCommie posted:

So whoever it was that said (RiD #27 spoilers) that Brainstorm was dead all along and would be the conduit that Optimus and the others would escape from was right.

I guess that explains why the Sparkeater didn't go for him in the elevator, but Brainstorm has been seen without his briefcase sometimes, especially when he was talking to Chromedome after Rewind's death, so it looks like he doesn't need to be attached to it all the time

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
That owns so much. Also pretty much makes a lot more sense now that the possibility Brainstorm himself is one of the conjunx endura's he listed off as being dead that Chromedome forgot. gently caress what if the only reason Brainstorm is keeping himself alive is for Chromedome. gently caress. I've made myself sad.

Need a Voyager Brainstorm now.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

MP Soundblaster is shipping now!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

therealjon_ posted:

MP Soundblaster is shipping now!

Most expensive cassette-bot ever. I'm skipping it for now but eventually...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

catch22 posted:

I dunno how many other people feel that way, but they're definitely worse. Now the original wave 1 Beast Wars toys are not show accurate at all, but they're just better toys. I may be a little biased as Dinobot was my first Beast Wars toy ever.

Universe Cheetor is a mess. He's skinny, has tiny arms that are severely limited at the elbows due to kibble, and looks horrendous. Dinobot is in the wrong colors, has hands sticking out of his chest in raptor mode, is very thin and cheap feeling, is incredibly loose and has trouble holding his tail weapon, which doesn't look right or spin. His molded detail is more show accurate but he's just not good.

I think Universe 2.0 might have been the worst part of classics. Or at least their deluxes. We got Cheetor, Dinobot, Galvatron, Armada Hot Shot, Ironhide\Ratchet, and Octane\Tankor from that. Okay, the Datsuns, Lambos, Cyclonus, Hound, Inferno and the Ultra Class figures were good, but there was a lot of flops in that line.

So far, I think only Cheetor, Dinobot, Galvatron and G2 Laser Prime are the only classics figures who have the dubious honor of actually being worse than their vintage counterparts.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Gammatron 64 posted:

G2 Laser Prime

I still love this one and have 4 different versions of it on my desk (Original, SG Prime and Magnus, and Scourge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
WARNING Optibotimus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqD5KNVBqgg This Scoria thing, this is just perfect. I'm actually tempted now.