Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
When did version 3 come out? I'm trying to remember if my problems with the game (that I don't remember) were with v2 or v3. I keep wanting to get into Infinity but every time I look into it I'm dissuaded by something. I've never played it but I think I recall something about the squad building being kind of bullshit because what you did was have a super badass supported by idiots just to have extra actions, or something like that. Is that how it goes? I am not really well-versed enough in minis games to determine how a game will play out from reading the rules so I'm hesitant but I kinda want to pick up some mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Sometime before Christmas.

And if you had problems with 2ed link team rules or the orders mechanics, those only changed in minor details.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
N3 came out in December.

While ramboing (one big dude with lots of little ones to supply orders) is a strategy, it's not a particularly good one - especially in most scenarios. Putting all your eggs in one basket is asking for trouble.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man after some games I'm gonna QQ like an ALEPH player but I really don't think the Cutter is actually worth its points investment.

Like it's really good still and utterly shitcans your average player but ugh it's a lot for what you get. Maybe that's just me moving away from superTAGs though more and more over the years, but I'd rather pay less and get a Dragao or a Jotum over it these days.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Corbeau posted:

N3 came out in December.

While ramboing (one big dude with lots of little ones to supply orders) is a strategy, it's not a particularly good one - especially in most scenarios. Putting all your eggs in one basket is asking for trouble.

What's the difference between ramboing and building a list around one of those high-cost centerpiece units like the Avatar or Achilles?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

MJ12 posted:

What's the difference between ramboing and building a list around one of those high-cost centerpiece units like the Avatar or Achilles?
Centerpiece lists don't fall apart when they die, they just sag a fair bit. Like even an Achilles/Cutter/Avatar supported list has to use that support, a rambo would be spending every single order on them trying to table the other player ASAP, rather than going for the balanced game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MJ12 posted:

A centerpiece has to have support. If you can just waltz in with your huge brick of fuckoffnium and mow everyone down, the opponent hosed up his deployment. You want to account for possible hackers, snipers (ADHL/Panzerfausts for TAGs), and if there's one obvious path, even scouting for HD models with a sensor drone.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 20, 2015

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Rambo'ing isn't really about the model that you send across the table, it's just the idea of dumping all your orders into one model to go on offense. An AD BS or Camo Monofilament mine model can rambo just as much as a Cutter or Achilles can. Rambo'ing will always be an aspect of Infinity because it's how you punish a bad defensive position. It's not inherently good or bad, though it does tend to be more common with newer players (because they don't know how to defend against it) and it creates badfeels.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Rambo-ing is great. Then someone AROs the rambo with a Blitzen or a flash pulse and it becomes potentially not very great at all.

Are models like the elite dude with the HMG and MSV going to spend several orders every turn blazing away? Yea they are. It doesn't mean there is anything broken or gaming the system about it.

Infinity is like chess in a lot of respects. You could spend many turns activating the queen and few if any turns activating a pawn. It doesn't make the queen broken, the pawn stupid, and the game of chess cheese-able. They have different roles on the board. The pawn is there to get in the way and tax them, ideally you want to set it up to perform that role with the minimal investment of turns possible.

Line infantry are sort of line pawns. You either keep them mostly hidden and setup to protect against combat jumps and feed orders into your attacking pieces. Or you use coordinated orders to move them up into cover and threaten AROs and then you either get to tax the other player's order pool or get lots of normal roll AROs. It usually takes a little less than two orders for an elite to kill one line infantry in cover. If the game only lasts 3 turns, and the line infantry moved once, then the elite infantry player is spending 2 orders to remove two orders while subjecting themselves to the chance of getting hit. It gets even worse if they are are throwing away the second short skill of the shoot order because they have to stay in cover while clearing the line infantry out. Especially if the line infantry spent command tokens to move into position on the cheap.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Once you're in game, the real currency is orders. Not point cost. Yeah, a rambo might be able to cross the board and mow down several troopers, but your opponent probably blew their whole combat group on that (so ~10 orders). If you've lost 3 dudes, then you've probably lost about 6-9 potential future orders. If you turn around and kill their rambo with a few orders, because he's over-extended, then they've lost not only the ~2 future orders he'd generate, but also all ~10 orders spent moving him forward. This is incredibly expensive for the ramboing player, and is the main reason why people generally do shorter advances with multiple pieces in multiple locations. They're diversifying their investment.

Of course if you set up poorly and lost like 6 models to a rambo on turn 1 then welp you're hosed. In my experience though, that situation only happens when someone screws up. Not even god-dice will enable it against a cautiously-deployed player.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 21, 2015

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Yea, eating a Blitzen on a model with only a few orders invested in it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than eating a Blitzen after you've just invested maybe 1/6th of your orders for the entire game.

Defensive Haramaki link teams are evil. Burst 2 BS 16 blitzen are bad bad news. Arm 3 PH14 with 2x wounds for 23 points are anything but order efficient to dig out. Nor can those contenders be ignored at all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I love HI link teams in N3. They're the defensive rock that I always wanted in N2, but that nothing ever quite fulfilled in the old edition.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Holy gently caress, how is it possibly this hard for them to keep a website up?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Corbeau posted:

Once you're in game, the real currency is orders. Not point cost. Yeah, a rambo might be able to cross the board and mow down several troopers, but your opponent probably blew their whole combat group on that (so ~10 orders). If you've lost 3 dudes, then you've probably lost about 6-9 potential future orders. If you turn around and kill their rambo with a few orders, because he's over-extended, then they've lost not only the ~2 future orders he'd generate, but also all ~10 orders spent moving him forward. This is incredibly expensive for the ramboing player, and is the main reason why people generally do shorter advances with multiple pieces in multiple locations. They're diversifying their investment.

Of course if you set up poorly and lost like 6 models to a rambo on turn 1 then welp you're hosed. In my experience though, that situation only happens when someone screws up. Not even god-dice will enable it against a cautiously-deployed player.

This is a limited way to look it I feel. First off, it doesn't take board coverage/presence into consideration. A 3-1 trade means you project significantly less threat with your ARO's, and in many cases loosing said threat means the winner of the 3-1 trade can claim objectives much easier. For example, in a recent tourney game I spent 7 out of my 17 orders to bring down a 3-man knights Santiago link team with McMurrough, who then died on my opponents turn. However, due to how expensive those guys I were I eliminated both a significant portion of his fighting ability and was able to stroll up to 2 supply caches unmolested.

It also means that with overall less orders to spend on their side, they will have less resources to affect your order pool/claim objectives

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 21, 2015

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Cyclomatic posted:

Seems to be going down every night now.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Hipster Occultist posted:

This is a limited way to look it I feel.

You are not wrong. One of the huge benefits of board control, though, is that you make it far more order-expensive for your opponent to do what they want to do. I started doing vastly better at the game when I started thinking about my orders in terms of "what will wind up costing my opponent the most orders for the minimal investment on my part?" My favorite is still to park a TO sniper somewhere annoying, then reveal him when my opponent doesn't have enough orders remaining in the turn to kill him. In practice, it tends to eliminate 1/4 to 1/3 of my opponent's orders that turn, since he has to avoid the sniper and probably can't accomplish what he originally intended, and then it takes away even more time during his next turn. Even if he can efficiently kill off the sniper during that later turn, the damage is already done at that point.

The big take away is to keep your eyes on the prize: order economy is crucial for accomplishing the scenario objectives. Unless you're playing frontline or some generic kill-em-all scenario, just killing order-generators isn't enough; the order economy revolves around getting victory points.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

Always-online army builder and a model gallery that downloads ~50MB every time?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

And probably with some giant memory leaks thrown in just for good measure.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
How many orders should I aim for at lower pts levels? We're doing an escalation league and are disallowing hacking the first few rounds since most players are completely new to Infinity. Which means I don't want to waste pts on hackers so I don't have any cheap orders in the form of remotes. Consequently my cheapest units are daturazi and hungries, but the latter is irregular.

The first round is 120 pts and the second round is 150 pts. I've made a list with 5 orders and one with 6 orders respectively. The missions have mostly "control terrain"-type objectives.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
10+ at 300
8 at 200
6 at 150
:fuckoff: at 120

(that is, regular orders with max 1-2 TO/AD)

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Ok goood, I barely make it with irregulars on top.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Alright, well that back and forth about ramboing is good to see. How does Infinity handle elevation? Is this a game like Deadzone where multi-tiered terrain is good, or is it a flat with blocking/cover kind of game?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

All the tiers. Snipers gotta go somewhere. :getin:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is that achieved by wall climbing, jetpacks or other special equipment, or ramps/stairs? Or all 3? This is important.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Alright, well that back and forth about ramboing is good to see. How does Infinity handle elevation? Is this a game like Deadzone where multi-tiered terrain is good, or is it a flat with blocking/cover kind of game?
Multiple layered terrain is the best (IMO) but ensure you don't have highly elevated towers in deployment zones for best outcomes. Having them near and accessible to deployment areas is perfectly fine though. :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Is that achieved by wall climbing, jetpacks or other special equipment, or ramps/stairs? Or all 3? This is important.

All 3. Walls can be climbed but it leaves the climber very vulnerable unless they have special training, so ramps/stairs/ladders are recommended. There are jumpers that will pop out and put you down or just jump to your floor, but then again, others will just make their hacker mark your position from behind a wall and cover you with grenades.

Flipswitch posted:

Multiple layered terrain is the best (IMO) but ensure you don't have highly elevated towers in deployment zones for best outcomes. Having them near and accessible to deployment areas is perfectly fine though. :)

And that's why Forward Deployment is good, because some rear end in a top hat always puts a sniper tower 2 inches from the DZ :arghfist::v:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Pierzak posted:

All 3. Walls can be climbed but it leaves the climber very vulnerable unless they have special training, so ramps/stairs/ladders are recommended. There are jumpers that will pop out and put you down or just jump to your floor, but then again, others will just make their hacker mark your position from behind a wall and cover you with grenades.

And that's why Forward Deployment is good, because some rear end in a top hat always puts a sniper tower 2 inches from the DZ :arghfist::v:

The best way to handle that is beat them with a large stick.

The second best way is to win initiative and pick that side.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

win ftf rolls better noob and pick that side :rolleyes:

:v:

E;fb

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 22, 2015

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Honestly, it is mostly covered by bullets. There is close combat in the game, it is totally worth doing, but at the end of the day it is a shooting game. Sooner or later the sniper is going to lose the exchange, or a heavy machine gun is just going to light him up until he dies or ducks.

When I play Malifaux and someone wants to get cute by putting a sniper in a tower it is basically time to roll your eyes at them. At the end of the day Malifaux is a melee game.

Now, you can run into trouble if the tower is able to see a bit too much of the table. But that isn't an elevation thing so much as a line of sight thing, and you can make a really bad table with no elevation at all. Setting up a decent Infinity table is a skill learned by seeing some train wrecks.

Flipswitch posted:

We actually make sure one deployment zone has a really nasty sniper perch and the other doesn't have one in the deployment zone. To make picking sides or not a choice.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

I'm really not understanding the TAG hate from some folks in N3.

They are really fast, and the ability to vault buildings without needing to use climb orders makes them super efficient in getting to where they need to go. Especially if you can drop only one or maybe two smoke grenades and have it cross the board in a straight line.

The ability to see over a roof often lets them get really nice LoF, especially if you can get them into suppression fire somewhere good. Especially if they go into suppression under smoke.

Their height letting them ignore the prone cover bonus for moto.tronica cargo crates is also pretty nice too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Jooooooooooooooooan (xposted from mini painting thread)

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Base is still WIP

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 22, 2015

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Might want to timg those enormous pictures.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Might want to timg those enormous pictures.

timg'd them so you don't have to! :toot:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JoshTheStampede posted:

Jooooooooooooooooan (xposted from mini painting thread)

Your paintjob is killer but you really need to sort out your camera.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Z the IVth posted:

Your paintjob is killer but you really need to sort out your camera.

You mean my phone? :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JoshTheStampede posted:

You mean my phone? :v:

Its got a lot of noise, even for a phone shot. It looks like the ISO is cranked up waaay too high. If your phone has a decent camera then you're doing it wrong, otherwise :doh:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Looks like its a zoomed in picture. I mean, im not the Buddha of cameras, but I've taken a fair few pictures, and it looks like a zoomed in picture.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It's zoomed in because otherwise I couldn't get a close shot of the model. That said, I know it's a bad pic. I have a lightbox but it never seems to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

One Neat Trick: Shoot with high resolution and crop the photo

• Locked thread