Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What sorts of transformations can you get?

it's around 20% killed/feeblemind (which turns you into a dragonfly or something similar). The other 80% of the time you usually turn into a low MR animal with 2 misc slots with the occasional transform into a troll or other monstrous humanoid with good slots. I was just going to use it to turn 275g non-sacred mages into 0g dogs, bugs and other things because they are breaking my bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

it's around 20% killed/feeblemind (which turns you into a dragonfly or something similar). The other 80% of the time you usually turn into a low MR animal with 2 misc slots with the occasional transform into a troll or other monstrous humanoid with good slots. I was just going to use it to turn 275g non-sacred mages into 0g dogs, bugs and other things because they are breaking my bank.

Wait, just so I understand this right, but the 0g bugs and other random poo poo are still functionally mages after the transformation, right? Just with another body?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yep! /short answer

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

amuayse posted:

You might get something cool like an ettin or something lame like a flying monkey. Ohlman posted the full list here.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2372&view=getnewpost

monster boars having the inept researcher tag is funny

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Turin Turambar posted:

Cool. A new detail about Nazca

What about LA Ulm's Ghoul Guardians?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Jabarto posted:

I forget, can you recruit ghoul commanders?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

I forget, can you recruit ghoul commanders?

Yes, they're cap-only recruitables.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jabarto posted:

You are right, Illwinter fails at his own game, lol.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wonder how good the mummies are at fighting. Zombiemans don't get tired that's why.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've been wanting to mess around with late age r'lyeh and i'm not really sure what sort of pretender and/or scales i should be going for. that and research paths to some degree. WHAT DOES EVERYONE SUGGEST?

answers telling me to cast burden of time will not be accepted.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
T3L3M3C3D3M3 Dom 10? High S, W, and D?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Agartha is my favorite nation and I haven't been really played Dom 4 that much since I bought it shortly after it was released. I've noticed that EA Agartha has gotten so much better and looks viable.

I've been playing around an imprisoned Titan of the Underworld, 7 Dom 8E5D (for the minor earth bless and to cast that spell that opens the seal) and 3 Order, 1 Production, 1 Heat, 3 Growth and 1 Drain.

Is this pretty good? I figured that Agartha needs money and it's troops are good enough without needing a super bless or an awake SC.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Go at least Heat 2 preferably 3 to counteract winter and people with cold dom, the cold blooded encumbrance penalty is kind of horrible.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My biggest question is if you're playing a game with a lot of caves or not. Agartha is stupidly strong on maps like Valanis due to being able to recruit olms and engravers in any province.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
^^^ I'm just playing with myself at the moment. But I will give that Valanis map a go.

Absum posted:

Go at least Heat 2 preferably 3 to counteract winter and people with cold dom, the cold blooded encumbrance penalty is kind of horrible.

Will do, Heat 3 will get me Magic 1, Production 3 (probably useless since I'm constrained by Holy Points) or Protection 9 or so.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Agartha is legit good now, but not because of their infantry. Don't take production on EA Agartha, take sloth and use the points for more gold. EA Agartha revolves around its incredibly powerful mages (Oracles of Subterranian Fires are ready-made magma eruptors for example) and national summons to create armies of earth elementals and living mercury that then get buffed to high hell (army of lead on living mercury is brutal) and murder dudes while their mages throw blade winds and magma eruptions and skeletons and god knows what else out to murder you.

Don't bother much with the sacreds or troops; the big guys can be decent meat shields since they have a fair chunk of HP but mostly the agarthan troops are just there to hold the line until you research enouch conj to start replacing them with earth elementals and magma children.

E: Oh, and as EA Agartha you are The Best At Sieges; your guys dont need to eat and they all have good strength and siege bonuses meaning that EA Agartha can basically break any fort instantly with very little effort. This allows you to raid people's forts and burn them down before running away, something no other nation can pull off.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 20, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That is music to my ears. It was upsetting when only LA Agartha was any good.

I haven't really looked into it, but is MA Agartha decent now or is it still kinda poo poo?

EDIT:

Is protection good or is bad? I forget if defense skill is the good one or not.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Lord Windy posted:

That is music to my ears. It was upsetting when only LA Agartha was any good.

I haven't really looked into it, but is MA Agartha decent now or is it still kinda poo poo?

EDIT:

Is protection good or is bad? I forget if defense skill is the good one or not.

MA Agartha is pretty strong is you can run heavy on N9 bless Sentinels soon enough. 50hp blocks of stone standing in front of mindblasters and evo spammers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Protection is good but piercing weapons reduce prot by 20% and crossbows exist which are both piercing damage and armor piercing (ignores 50% of protection) so protection alone won't cut it.

Defense skill is the one that's great if you can get it high enough; sacred cavalry and centaurs with w9 blesses are usually at ~20 defense at which point they basically never get hit by anything unless they're surrounded. Each extra attack a unit defends against in a single round of combat applies a cumulative -2 penalty to defense so even super high defense guys will still get stabbed if they are surrounded.

MA Agartha is wierd; their dominion provides +10% HP per candle to stone beings like living statues and earth elementals but it applies to all stone beings in their dom, enemy and ally. They can summon some really powerful statues including an amazing Thug chassis with the Marble Oracle and their unique summonable statues are quite potent, especially the sacred ones. An N9 bless would probably not be a bad idea at all as the sacred statues are extremely tough and nearly unkillable by conventional tactics if they are regenerating as well.

MA Agartha also gets Attentive Statues in their fort PD past 20 points of PD so MA Agartha's forts can be extremely hard nuts to crack.

Magewise Golem Crafters are solid battlemages who can summon earthpower and then magma erupt or do various other things and the Oracles of the Ancients are still as powerful as ever, though not being able to pick which elemental path you get can be annoying. Uniquely MA Agartha also has the only Agarthan troop unit that is actually genuinely good; Defenders of the Halls are expensive resource-wise but totally worth it if you can get them. They make a very tough frontline that is very hard to break and they can both siege and defend from sieges extremely effectively as well as requiring no food.

Otherwise MA Agartha still has access to the EA Agarthan summons and a better troop roster, unlike with EA Agartha you are going to want to take production with MA Agartha as their dudes are all pretty resource intensive and unlike LA Agartha they don't have any +resource guys.

MA Agartha is probably the least used of the 3 eras of Agartha, but that may just be because no-one is quite sure how to use their dominion and statues properly. They do get access to Olms (though they have to summon them) and a bunch of Olms behind a line of regenerating Sentinels and Granite Guardians is extremely powerful, especially when the statues are getting +10% hp per dom candle and if you can find air access somewhere you can kit out Marble Oracles with basic thug gear and flyboots and raid the poo poo out of everyone because no PD in the game can touch an N9 blessed Marble Oracle with basic thug gear.

e: Oh and their statues all have patrol bonuses so unlike EA Agartha they can patrol out stealthy enemies with ease.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 20, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

They get to summon Olms, freeing them from that cave-only recruitment limitation, and they use W gems instead of the E that your Statues use.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speleothing posted:

They get to summon Olms, freeing them from that cave-only recruitment limitation, and they use W gems instead of the E that your Statues use.

The W that your Living Mercurys use too.

Though at least the summoned Olms do not cost upkeep so you can end up with a lot more dudes than EA Agartha could pull off.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Is the Moloch pretender any good? Why does he cost 100 pretender points?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

M_Bison posted:

Is the Moloch pretender any good? Why does he cost 100 pretender points?

He is overpriced imo but with dom9 he can provide a flying FB chassis and awake expand for you if you need it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
He also does really well in the Arena since he brings a bunch of free imps with him.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I also want to add that Marble Oracles can have the highest HP of any summon in the game when they're in a Dom10 province. They also can't get soul slayed due to being mindless.
Also want to add that E and D access means you have access to shademails. Combine that with wingboots and you have a stealthy flying tank.
Just watch out for Vision's Foe and Eyecatchers.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 20, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A friend of mine bought me this game as a gift a while back, and I've been meaning to learn it. At there any good strategy rundowns of the different nations, and what sort of pretenders to run with them?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The elf nations (Vanheim/Tír na nÓg) and the giant nations (Niefelheim/Jotunheim) are pretty good for beginners. Hinnom and Mictlan are also good nations if you have micro skills and patience.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

The elf nations (Vanheim/Tír na nÓg) and the giant nations (Niefelheim/Jotunheim) are pretty good for beginners. Hinnom and Mictlan are also good nations if you have micro skills and patience.

Elf nations are particularly good if you want to be a gigantic dick while roleplaying a race of gigantic dicks. Giant nations can be fun if you have giant sacreds. Never not take a nature bless with them. It makes your sacred giants gigantic trolls. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
And if you want to be both giant trolls and giant dicks pick Fomoria because nothing says balanced like Nemedians.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
In terms of hard and fast, uncontroversial stuff stuff:

There are only two nations where you basically can't play unless you pick the right pretender, and that's MA Ermor and LA Scelaria, where you need a Death 4 or above pretender to summon more mages so you can play them right. They rely really heavily on their mages and national death income, because their troops are spawned for free at the expense of them killing off their population very quickly (which also tanks their income unless they spread aggressively).

EA Rlyeh is a nation where you ideally want an amphibious pretender god with at least one point in Air and Water magic so you can forge Amulets of the Fish to get your aquatic mages out of the water (but EA Rlyeh is kind of not very good, MA is probably the best Rlyeh).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 20, 2014

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Neruz posted:

And if you want to be both giant trolls and giant dicks pick Fomoria because nothing says balanced like Nemedians.

And if you want to see a giant dick, play Hinnom with the Son of the Fallen pretender.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

A friend of mine bought me this game as a gift a while back, and I've been meaning to learn it. At there any good strategy rundowns of the different nations, and what sort of pretenders to run with them?

Now you mention it, it would be pretty useful if someone (not me, I'm really not a veteran) at least would make a TLDR summary of nations like "nations A, B, C and D are bless nations, nations E and F benefit a lot of an awake SC, F, G and H need order, I and J can play with turmoil, K and L are resource heavy, C, D and G benefit from extra magic scales" etc etc.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I bought this game months ago when it was really cheap in some sale, but only started playing it recently because of the Let's Play thread that is currently in progress (I knew I'd get around to playing it eventually). I played a little bit of Dominions 3 multiplayer years ago. I think I had the most success with Marverni. I vaguely recall teleporting old men into enemy territory so that they could drop meteors onto people. I'm glad they're still in it.

Does anybody ever stream or record blitz games? There are a few on YouTube but the players aren't very good, so they're not very interesting. I know games of this sort don't generally lend themselves very well to video playthroughs, but blitz games are fairly rapid and there's so much to learn from watching other people play that it would probably be an interesting resource.

Also this post is to verify me for the goon game service etc.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Turin Turambar posted:

Now you mention it, it would be pretty useful if someone (not me, I'm really not a veteran) at least would make a TLDR summary of nations like "nations A, B, C and D are bless nations, nations E and F benefit a lot of an awake SC, F, G and H need order, I and J can play with turmoil, K and L are resource heavy, C, D and G benefit from extra magic scales" etc etc.

Those are some rather vague descriptions. Pretty much any nation can be a bless nation, and everyone benefits from an awake SC and magic scales. There isn't just one optimal strategy for the majority of nations.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
Here are some further lessons in things you should try to avoid happen to you

Alternatively, don't play Abyssia :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eschatos posted:

Those are some rather vague descriptions. Pretty much any nation can be a bless nation, and everyone benefits from an awake SC and magic scales. There isn't just one optimal strategy for the majority of nations.

this is pretty much what makes it hard to give strategies for nations unless there's a generally accepted one that's relatively safe as long as you can hold on long enough to get it working. some people can probably get away with most anything and at least be a thorn in a game's side if they don't outright win.

the irc is generally pretty good because you can get multiple people throwing suggestions at you and like 90% of them probably won't be stupid as hell.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

this is pretty much what makes it hard to give strategies for nations unless there's a generally accepted one that's relatively safe as long as you can hold on long enough to get it working. some people can probably get away with most anything and at least be a thorn in a game's side if they don't outright win.

the irc is generally pretty good because you can get multiple people throwing suggestions at you and like 90% of them probably won't be stupid as hell.

This is totally wrong literally every suggestion it's stupid as hell

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
One of the most useful things to learn with is the Debug Mod and also Sombre's AI Recruitment Mod (which I recommend just using untouched).

The Debug Mod is great because it means you can test spells relatively easily. You might get all kinds of early research together but if you don't know how it all synergises with later stuff, it's hard to plan. The Debug Mod gives you access to all of the spells from the get-go, plus special versions of Wish (wish for a thing, usually get an approximation of it) and Eyes of God (see every province) which cost one astral pearl and need S1 to work, and another spell at the same cost to call in a caster with ten in every path and a bunch of other bonuses.

The AI Recruitment Mod means computer players get armies which rely much more on their national troops. This is usually much better than the usual mix of Lion/Deer/Wolf tribe archers with 3 Heavy Infantry etc., and means you at least get to see how national troops fight against one another early on without having to control both nations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jsoh posted:

This is totally wrong literally every suggestion it's stupid as hell

don't be so mean to your fellow irc posters, it's rude and quite hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Neruz posted:

An N9 bless would probably not be a bad idea at all as the sacred statues are extremely tough and nearly unkillable by conventional tactics if they are regenerating as well.

I thought inanimate units couldn't regenerate? At least Golems never seem to.

• Locked thread