Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to give Shadow of Chernobyl another shot; I last played it probably six years ago and didn't get very far. Is the "GET THIS MOD NOW" in the OP for SoC still accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

TescoBag posted:

Anyone know where the best place to sell artifacts is in CoC?

I'm also a CoC noob, but as far as I can tell there isn't one. The best place to sell anything is with a trader that you have high faction relations with. So if you start as Clear Sky, you're going to get better prices with a Clear Sky trader than with a neutral Loner trader. Apparently they made artifacts spawn more often to compensate for them having durability, so I don't think you should fret about selling artifacts too early. I think it's worth selling an artifact at less than maximum value if it gets you some non-lovely armor sooner.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

El Disco posted:

I'm also a CoC noob, but as far as I can tell there isn't one. The best place to sell anything is with a trader that you have high faction relations with. So if you start as Clear Sky, you're going to get better prices with a Clear Sky trader than with a neutral Loner trader. Apparently they made artifacts spawn more often to compensate for them having durability, so I don't think you should fret about selling artifacts too early. I think it's worth selling an artifact at less than maximum value if it gets you some non-lovely armor sooner.

I tended to sell mutant parts at scientists .I think Skadovsk is what buys artifacts at the highest

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Morter posted:

I tended to sell mutant parts at scientists .I think Skadovsk is what buys artifacts at the highest

Good to know, though I usually dump my mutant parts onto the nearest trader regardless of reputation. None of the parts I've gotten so far have been very valuable so they haven't been worth stockpiling.

Speaking of stockpiling, does anyone know what you do with the uniform patches? I'm getting a shitload of them, especially from dead bandits, and I'm wondering if they can be sold off. Nobody I've found has been willing to buy them.

e: I'm an idiot and didn't notice that the weapon traders take patches.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 18, 2017

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm going to give Shadow of Chernobyl another shot; I last played it probably six years ago and didn't get very far. Is the "GET THIS MOD NOW" in the OP for SoC still accurate?

Same here. Last time I played it the Complete mod was the go to mod for this game. I'm not looking for super hardcore mode but poo poo that makes it better looking and more atmospheric and maybe a bit tougher would be nice. Are the Reclamation project and the shadersMAX what I want to download?

Basically I want to mod the hell out of this game like I used to so that the sound and graphics and everything are as good as I remember it. I also want it to be tough but not "Everything you shoot sucks and enemies are amazing" tough.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 16, 2017

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Welp, that didn't last long. Time to give Stalker a rest again.

CoC got kinda boring pretty quick. The quests are thin and it quickly became a walking simulator.

I thought I'd try stalkersoup but it crashes whever I try to open my inventory, or resurrect a quest NPC so I can't play it for more than 5 minutes.

Joint Pak 2 I can't play at all. I've already lost 2 quest NPCs to an aimbot 1-hit-kill sniper and trying to rescue Nimble is drat near impossible. I've got no medkits, 16 round of ammo, no support and they can kill me in two shots. Did I mention this was on the easiest difficulty and I'm wearing an exosuit?

Edit: Turns out having cigarettes in my inventory in stalkersoup was causing the crashes, I've been avoiding them and it's been plain sailing.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 16, 2017

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Edit: Turns out having cigarettes in my inventory in stalkersoup was causing the crashes...

such is life in the zone

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LcnXgvIF6U

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lmao at the "He was a good stalker" part.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

nexus6 posted:

Edit: Turns out having cigarettes in my inventory in stalkersoup was causing the crashes,

*to XR_3DA.exe* those things will kill ya

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Gonna be pretty badass when that little kid turns into a Burer.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Àaaaaaaah of course I'm going to have to watch it even though prospects are dim

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Oof... that doesn't look great, honestly.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

That looks really mediocre. Roadside Picnic/Stalker 1979 with a modern American television tone sounds like a really bad combo.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 19, 2017

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

nexus6 posted:

Welp, that didn't last long. Time to give Stalker a rest again.

Did you try warfare?

on a more personal note:
I'm having too much fun now. I know how to move guns around and I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with making a stripped down AO3 mod combined with OWR and with realistic damage values.

Gameplay itself is really cool with warfare. I want to try azazel mode, I'm certain I had this idea for stalker quite a while ago. Really cool to see someone else got the smart idea of completely turning gameplay into a different thing.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I can't wait for the entire season spent on a farm.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I haven't played STALKER in several years and am looking to get back into playing CoP, is Misery any good? I remember hearing some bad things about it when it first came out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

What I like best about the STALKER series is the amount of time you spend outside the Zone having family drama. I'm glad they are televising this aspect.

NeoSeeker posted:

Did you try warfare?

on a more personal note:
I'm having too much fun now. I know how to move guns around and I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with making a stripped down AO3 mod combined with OWR and with realistic damage values.

Gameplay itself is really cool with warfare. I want to try azazel mode, I'm certain I had this idea for stalker quite a while ago. Really cool to see someone else got the smart idea of completely turning gameplay into a different thing.

I've actually gotten back into SOUP. Dark Valley is CTD central but as long as I keep cigarettes out of my inventory and don't try to resurrect anyone it's been pretty stable.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 20, 2017

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Why xray engine, why do you ignore my pleas?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

nexus6 posted:

What I like best about the STALKER series is the amount of time you spend outside the Zone having family drama. I'm glad they are televising this aspect.

Well if it's based more on Roadside Picnic and the Tarkovsky Stalker film there was a small (but not exactly negligible) amount of time given over to life outside the zone for the Stalkers, and the impact on their families. The mutated child of the Stalker appears in both those stories, for example, as does the pissed-off wife, if I remember right. In Roadside Picnic you also have the various police, scientists, and government who also try to exploit and trap the Stalkers.
I just don't think that American and British drama has ever had the ability to capture that bleak, slightly morbid and cynical atmosphere that Eastern European and Russian stories capture so well, so it's almost certainly going to be an over-acted melodramatic load of crap.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i beat metro last light recently, and it really got me craving to get into stalker again. now i already beat all the stalkers at launch, so i'd be looking for a new experience. which mod for which game is the best for this?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Davincie posted:

i beat metro last light recently, and it really got me craving to get into stalker again. now i already beat all the stalkers at launch, so i'd be looking for a new experience. which mod for which game is the best for this?

If you have Call of Pripyat Call of Chernobyl with some weapon mod and Warfaremod is all the rage right now.
you can find everything here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl

Also in the film a major plot point is scientists exploiting the zoneone of the three main characters is a scientist on there on his own accord to try and nuke the zone because he's afraid of what his collegues have planned. Another major scene is passing through a zone checkpoint under heavy machinegun fire.

I think out of the two the film is the more potent telling of the stories. Mainly because it can make a 5 minute long railwagon ride with nothing but images of the trio and the background plus the noise of the cart silently making its way down the rails not boring.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Wait is warfaremod compatible with the weapon mods???

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Morter posted:

Wait is warfaremod compatible with the weapon mods???

Warfare is compatible with all three weapon mods.

Remember, good rule of thumb is that if a mod doesn't replace anything the other mod replaces and vice versa, they're compatible most of the time.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Warfare is compatible with all three weapon mods.

Remember, good rule of thumb is that if a mod doesn't replace anything the other mod replaces and vice versa, they're compatible most of the time.

I hadn't checked, personally, because glancing it over, it looked like it replaced a lot of things. Now I really gotta try this. Sweet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thanks

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Rio Olympic venues already starting to look like Pripyat

http://abcnews.go.com/International/arenas-rio-falling-olympic-games/story?id=45533850

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The basement is probably already a lab.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Speedo burers and thong controllers.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Speedo burers and thong controllers.
But enough about your deviantart gallery

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Because there doesn't seem to be much of a readme, and the Warfare creator looks swamped as it is: Is there a way to request reinforcements/a nearby squad to come take the base you're at? It was frustrating to try and take over the entrance to the lab as a bandit (which is right next to the bandit base) because military--then loners--kept spawning in the windows and choke points even though we cleared them out 3 times, like, 12 friendly bandits right outside the gate, but none of them seeming to actually claim the point for us.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

You have to select the smart terrain point on your pda map and then either left or right click on the squad and request that they move to the targeted location.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Thats awesome. Seems to be working. Now to figure out what the hell influence does and how it works

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Missing Name posted:

The basement is probably already a lab.

It's South America, the basement has already been several labs in addition to other things most likely.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Hmm i've got the Warefare mod, but now I can't seem to pick a weapons mod. Any suggestions for something that doesn't add like 100 new weapons?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

OWR (original weapons renewal) is going to be your best bet. It only adds a few guns and none of them feel out of place.
AO3 is the other major player although I guess people go for STSoC.

I prefer there to be buckets of different guns in the zone. At first I'd expect the selection to be limited but I feel like AO3 really captures the arsenal of a zone after all three games.

Also warfare mod just got an update

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 24, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fired up my first CoC game with warfare, spawned in Yanov as Freedom. 20 minutes into the game there's a gigantic clusterfuck in Yanov Station as Bandits and Loners started a close range running battle there. Everyone seemed to be taking 200 hits to die (and it's on Master) but they did eventually die one by one and I was running around looting the corpses. Seemed like good fun until a single Monolith guy with an SVD pops in a side door and one-shots me from the hip :saddowns:.

Also maybe I'm just spoiled from CoP, but the geiger counter seems 100% useless in CoC. By the time you hear it going off you're already irradiated and it's only job at that point is to say that the reason why there is a yellow radiation icon in the upper right is because there is radiation here. Great warning, 10/10. :thumbsup:

NeoSeeker posted:

OWR (original weapons renewal) is going to be your best bet. It only adds a few guns and none of them feel out of place.
AO3 is the other major player although I guess people go for STSoC.

I prefer there to be buckets of different guns in the zone. At first I'd expect the selection to be limited but I feel like AO3 really captures the arsenal of a zone after all three games.

Also warfare mod just got an update

I like OWR so that I don't have to worry about 20 different ammo types for guns. But I totally get the appeal of stuff like AO and I may try it in the future.

E: Hey so by the end of the first day on my second warfare game it's turned into a zombie survival game, only instead of waves of zombies it's monolith and mercenary squads attacking literally every 2 minutes with RPGs and Gauss rifles. It's all I can do to defend Freedom's base in the army warehouses against the endless hordes.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 25, 2017

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The one thing really irking me right now is how warfare mod is releasing updates every other day. Having to update and start a new game is annoying.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BNmj4Mezk

What you want in the background while you play any Сталкер.

Пикник на обочине - Стругацкие А.Б. read in russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

The one thing really irking me right now is how warfare mod is releasing updates every other day. Having to update and start a new game is annoying.

Even more so that there's nothing that documents the changes

That said, I really only update when I progress far enough in a save that i'm not challenged or it's too unstable. It's usually the latter :v: