Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three03
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone on have a MP server going? I'd like to make complex contraptions with others. Mods or no mods is cool. Is there a steam group or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I finally built a personal roboport and it is rad. I need to watch a logistics robot tutorial so I can build out some parts of my factory better (or at least differently). I actually haven't needed to go outside my base much yet except for two remote oil pump groups that I don't really need any more, and I had to develop a second source for copper. I'm going to convert the conveyor to train, since I have two chests full of straight tracks and a few stacks of curves.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Three probooorts, five exoskeletons, and a bag full of laser turrets = the most fun you can have in this game.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MrYenko posted:

Three probooorts, five exoskeletons, and a bag full of laser turrets = the most fun you can have in this game.

Maybe I'm missing something but how does one fit all that in the armor? I saw people talking about using two fusion reactors but I can't fit it. Maybe there's a mk2 armor after the one I'm on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yup, there's Mk2 Armor.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrYenko posted:

Its more wasteful since they're consumable but saves you the trouble of power plopping, destroyer capsules provide hilarious orbiting clouds of bug death and are thus a personal indulgence in really completing the power armor god experience.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

three03 posted:

Anyone on have a MP server going? I'd like to make complex contraptions with others. Mods or no mods is cool. Is there a steam group or something?

I'd be up for a goon mp (preferably rso and farl) but no idea how multi player and mods work. Does the server distribute them to clients or do all clients need to get the same mod packs, down to the version, installed before joining?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yes, all clients must have exactly the same mods down to the version, along with exactly the same version of Factorio. Everything has to be identical, and the server doesn't send it to you.

Which is good because that would be terrible, as one of GotLag's recent posts showed. Also, you'd have to restart Factorio to even get the mods working.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Slowly building up my factory. I have more material than I know what to do with... then I decided to make blue belts (and underground and splitters). Holy gently caress that's a lot of steel. It's probably the biggest jump in resource use I've seen since I started.

On an unrelated note I'm using that Resource (RAO?) mod that makes resources further away. Is it normal that I'm a dozen or so hours in and have a couple of resource outposts and I still haven't seen a single biter or biter base? I watched a youtube of someone using the same mod and they encountered them way earlier.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gravy Jones posted:

Slowly building up my factory. I have more material than I know what to do with... then I decided to make blue belts (and underground and splitters). Holy gently caress that's a lot of steel. It's probably the biggest jump in resource use I've seen since I started.

On an unrelated note I'm using that Resource (RAO?) mod that makes resources further away. Is it normal that I'm a dozen or so hours in and have a couple of resource outposts and I still haven't seen a single biter or biter base? I watched a youtube of someone using the same mod and they encountered them way earlier.

RSO tends to amplify your map creation choices by more than you'd think. If you turned down enemies at all, I can see them becoming extremely scarce.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

RSO tends to amplify your map creation choices by more than you'd think. If you turned down enemies at all, I can see them becoming extremely scarce.

They still breed and spread though. The big question he leaves open is whether he changed any of the RSO config settings or what map settings he used. If he fiddled with the map creation settings for biters, RSO picks that up and uses it.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Roseo posted:

I'd be up for a goon mp (preferably rso and farl) but no idea how multi player and mods work. Does the server distribute them to clients or do all clients need to get the same mod packs, down to the version, installed before joining?

I could get a small dedicated server up for this evening, if people wanted to schedule a start time. Seems sort of necessary as it isn't very fun to come into an already completed game.

EDIT: Here's the mods I'm currently running. Anything you'd prefer to see added to a goon server?

CanOfMDAmp fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 30, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Has anyone else tried a Homeworld game? I started a map tonight to see what it does and the premise is actually rather good. Instead of the 'build a rocket' end game you plonk down a portal and send stuff back home. That increases the population and the portal tier changes to add more items to send back etc. The graphics are nice and he's got it taking things like pollution into account for farms/fisheries and so on. It might be worth a shot if you're getting tired of the same old ending.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I swear, the planet I landed on has no extra copper deposits anywhere. I'm running with RSO standard settings, no changes in config, didn't change anything from the defaults for worldgen. Found a bunch of iron, decent amount of coal, fuckton of oil for once, but I've been driving around like a maniac and haven't found any copper aside from what I started with. I'm not out yet, but I'm starting to move into advanced circuits and processing units and I know I'll need more soon. If I knew I was going to be restrained on copper I wouldn't have gone so heavily into solar panels too.

E: Of course complaining always fixes things, found a massive deposit on the other side of this continent a few minutes later. Guess I'll be getting into trains! And biter-eradication, there's a huge pile of nests on it...

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 1, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The upside to RSO is that the further you need to go to find a resource deposit, the bigger it's gonna be and the longer it's gonna last you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

poo poo, I just bought this game and I know I'm going to lose a lot of time to it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mister Adequate posted:

poo poo, I just bought this game and I know I'm going to lose a lot of time to it.

Hur hur, that's an understatement of some proportion. Make sure you try MP games after a standard one, loads of fun with people mucking around with your builds. Then of course the wacky world of mods: I currently have 13 different mod directories for various things and I'm probably far from the worst round here.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ratzap posted:

Hur hur, that's an understatement of some proportion. Make sure you try MP games after a standard one, loads of fun with people mucking around with your builds. Then of course the wacky world of mods: I currently have 13 different mod directories for various things and I'm probably far from the worst round here.

Oh gently caress, I just looked at the forums to see what the mod scene was like and there's millions of them. And I am not a man averse to modding. :gonk:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Speaking of mods, is installing RSO recommended for a first playthrough?

I'm having trouble getting my first factory off the ground because of the stupid placement of my starting materials, and biters who spawn ridiculously close to my starting base and attack before I have turrets.

I guess I can just turn down the biters in the options, since I left everything at the default.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Breetai posted:

It's possible to never have constructed more than one line of 13 boilers+10 engines through an entire game if you tech judiciously enough

the only time I made solar panels and accumulators in my last game was to build the satellite

Renegret posted:

I'm having trouble getting my first factory off the ground because of the stupid placement of my starting materials, and biters who spawn ridiculously close to my starting base and attack before I have turrets.

I guess I can just turn down the biters in the options, since I left everything at the default.

it just might be worth re-rolling your map. RSO will not help this problem.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ratzap posted:

Has anyone else tried a Homeworld game? I started a map tonight to see what it does and the premise is actually rather good. Instead of the 'build a rocket' end game you plonk down a portal and send stuff back home. That increases the population and the portal tier changes to add more items to send back etc. The graphics are nice and he's got it taking things like pollution into account for farms/fisheries and so on. It might be worth a shot if you're getting tired of the same old ending.

I'll keep this in mind for next time

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Renegret posted:

Agreeing with Zetsubou-san. RSO might actually make the problem worse. A better solution is to make a new world and maybe bump up the frequency/size of the resources.
I don't suggest increasing oil frequency, for some reason just making it slightly higher will put oil EVERYWHERE. Increasing richness is cool though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Had this for a while but only ever dabbled with it. Last night a friend got it on Steam and we tried in Multiplayer. Holy poo poo. That is some of the most fun we've ever had playing games together. We've but in 7 hours between last night and today already.

We get into huge arguments about production chain footprints and optimizing space efficiency, etc. it's great.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

For a first game (without RSO), try the following settings. Water small or 'only in starting area' - gives you a larger open space to work with. Iron, copper and coal size to big, oil richness to good. Biters low frequency, small size - set peaceful to reflect whether you want them to attack you or not. Switch starting area to very big.

That will give you more breathing space around your start area and generally make things a bit easier.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bonds0097 posted:

Had this for a while but only ever dabbled with it. Last night a friend got it on Steam and we tried in Multiplayer. Holy poo poo. That is some of the most fun we've ever had playing games together. We've but in 7 hours between last night and today already.

We get into huge arguments about production chain footprints and optimizing space efficiency, etc. it's great.

Yeah, MP games are great especially with different personalities and build ethics. Once they get factions working, MP will really take off.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ratzap posted:

For a first game (without RSO), try the following settings. Water small or 'only in starting area' - gives you a larger open space to work with. Iron, copper and coal size to big, oil richness to good. Biters low frequency, small size - set peaceful to reflect whether you want them to attack you or not. Switch starting area to very big.

That will give you more breathing space around your start area and generally make things a bit easier.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot tonight.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh dear lord what have I done :suicide:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh dear lord what have I done :suicide:

If you're anything like me and a few other posters here you pulled an all-nighter basically without realizing it, and are most disgruntled about the fact that it feels like you've spontaneously lost an entire night you could have been using to play Factorio.

I picked up the FTL sountrack off of bandcamp and have been pretty much exclusively listening to that on shuffle while I raze, pave, and develop city-sized swathes of previously-virgin land. Pretty loving great!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I picked it up again recently after not having played for ages. I sat down on Sunday evening around 6 PM thinking I'd maybe get that oil processing up so I could get blue science going. I work on it for a bit, get the blue science plant mostly designed, alt tab out and what in the actual gently caress it's 1 AM? I haven't even gotten started on hooking the oil up yet! Seriously, I'm not even joking, I completely lost myself in the game for seven hours without even noticing. It should be a controlled substance.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have to set myself a timer so I can actually realize how much time has been passing. Otherwise I just play for hours on end without stopping. Game is crazy addictive and time consuming.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
After the initial binging this game has basically turned into a zen rock garden for me. I'll typically throw the rake down after an hour or two exclaiming "all this is is work!" and then having some epiphany at entirely inappropriate times about how I can't possibly leave it in the state I left it and I need to get back at it right now.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TheFluff posted:

I picked it up again recently after not having played for ages. I sat down on Sunday evening around 6 PM thinking I'd maybe get that oil processing up so I could get blue science going. I work on it for a bit, get the blue science plant mostly designed, alt tab out and what in the actual gently caress it's 1 AM? I haven't even gotten started on hooking the oil up yet! Seriously, I'm not even joking, I completely lost myself in the game for seven hours without even noticing. It should be a controlled substance.

Get this mod EvoGui, apart from other things it shows you how long you've spent on that game. This is how I keep track of time while playing but even then, it's easy enough to forget to glance at the top left corner while putting something together.
If you prefer a simple clock, there is this from Bobs Mods - Clock

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

LonsomeSon posted:

If you're anything like me and a few other posters here you pulled an all-nighter basically without realizing it, and are most disgruntled about the fact that it feels like you've spontaneously lost an entire night you could have been using to play Factorio.

I picked up the FTL sountrack off of bandcamp and have been pretty much exclusively listening to that on shuffle while I raze, pave, and develop city-sized swathes of previously-virgin land. Pretty loving great!

Oddly enough, that is exactly what happened :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or you could create your own clock in Factorio using the logic circuits! :v:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
OMG robots. Robots change everything.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Gravy Jones posted:

OMG robots. Robots change everything.

Now you will realise why so many factories you see posted have chests all over the place. Soon as you get robots you replace them with providers and get the logistic net set up with very little effort. You'll probably wish you could have more logistic slots soon too, that stuff is habit forming.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ratzap posted:

Now you will realise why so many factories you see posted have chests all over the place. Soon as you get robots you replace them with providers and get the logistic net set up with very little effort. You'll probably wish you could have more logistic slots soon too, that stuff is habit forming.

Even construction bots were a massive game changer. I'm still getting my head around logistics.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

Even construction bots were a massive game changer. I'm still getting my head around logistics.
One mistake I made with robots was over-relying on them for basic ingredients (like copper/iron/steel/green circuits). Compared to belts they're really slow and low-bandwidth, even when fully upgraded. Now I tend to use logistic network mainly for personal use (so I'm always stocked with whatever I like to have on me) and certain higher level construction stuff. Play around, that's just what I found. Depends entirely what kind of factory you like.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Botting your red and blue circuits is 100% OK and what most probably use it for initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Rocket Control Units are kind of the end boss of the vanilla game, and they drink every circuit you can belt to them, so red and blue should probably get their asses on the belt sooner rather than later.