Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

What are you using to transfer the mailboxes?

I've seen strangely labeled folders, emails with {[,;/\ characters cause numerous issues.

I'm not sure. We get a list of about 10 or so people who are being switched, and we hear from about 7 of them the next day. But then again a lot of our users are idiots, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

What are you using to transfer the mailboxes?

I've seen strangely labeled folders, emails with {[,;/\ characters cause numerous issues.

.NET has raw strings, so escaping shouldn't cause problems or be needed unless the devs are boobs

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Small business email should be migrated to Gmail/O365/etc since SBS is a dead product but otherwise y'all really do make a mountain out of the email molehill. They aren't printers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

At my first IT job out of college we actually even wound up outsourcing management of our printers because gently caress printers.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Also did printers for 4 years, was the primary on that. Also not a big deal, but still probably like 20-40% of an FTE. I actually miss doing it. Mostly HP, some Lexmark, some Zebra. Use the universal drivers. Use winprint raw for the print processor. Limit how many printers per server. We had around 3000 queues total, 300 queues per server on 2008 R2, after the hell experienced on 2003 with >1000 queues per server. On terminal services consider forcing a failover driver if you're using RDP redirection, to prevent spooler instability or high usage, CurrentControlSet registry corruption, etc, though I'm not sure if this is still an issue on Server > 2003. Citrix Universal drivers works pretty drat well in lieu of any redirection if you have Citrix.

You can get more queue density and more stability by using MS provided drivers, at the expense of features, but managing more print servers is not a huge hassle.

Had converted most of the printers printers to use DHCP, had DHCP do DNS registration on behalf of the printers. Everything uses hostnames registered in a dedicated printer subdomain.

Cut the model # out of the queue name so any time a printer gets replaced no need to touch the queue. Printing stuff is also fairly scriptable.

I could just be a masochist.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 23, 2015

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Edit: As a side note, change management in general. Where I work, they have implemented a lot of ITIL processes. It seems to work really well for the applications team. Changes are requested, reviewed by a team and the larger team to assess risks, and applied to a test environment, and eventually all those changes are bundled into a release for production. Does that really work from a systems engineering perspective? The changes I make, no one else would understand or really approve or disapprove. Like putting in a new SIP - T1 VOIP gateway for faxing to replace an older model that is having issues. I install it following the manual, test it, then put it in production. Or, I did a bunch of AIX hardware migrations. Migrated the test system first, then production systems. I have no peers to bounce these things off of. Our team is under fire for not following the larger organizations' processes. But they don't seem to make sense for our team. Our changes are a lot less wide reaching, they affect single systems, and are more or less vendor supplied. There's nothing to bundle or release, most changes are standalone. The only thing that probably is important is that we track dates for when changes are made, if something does break we can tie it back to a change.

ITIL CM can work well in systems engineering. It's a risk management process. The point of the exercise is to demonstrate that you've thought about the process and are prepared for likely problems and are prepared to mitigate the impact to business. The board doesn't have to be your equivalents; it's better if there are different viewpoints. You should be able to describe those processes so that a Windows sysadmin and a developer can understand it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Edit: As a side note, change management in general. Where I work, they have implemented a lot of ITIL processes. It seems to work really well for the applications team. Changes are requested, reviewed by a team and the larger team to assess risks, and applied to a test environment, and eventually all those changes are bundled into a release for production. Does that really work from a systems engineering perspective? The changes I make, no one else would understand or really approve or disapprove. Like putting in a new SIP - T1 VOIP gateway for faxing to replace an older model that is having issues. I install it following the manual, test it, then put it in production. Or, I did a bunch of AIX hardware migrations. Migrated the test system first, then production systems. I have no peers to bounce these things off of. Our team is under fire for not following the larger organizations' processes. But they don't seem to make sense for our team. Our changes are a lot less wide reaching, they affect single systems, and are more or less vendor supplied. There's nothing to bundle or release, most changes are standalone. The only thing that probably is important is that we track dates for when changes are made, if something does break we can tie it back to a change.
I hate most ITIL implementations with a burning fury, but devil's advocate:

What does "test it" mean? Are the test scope and acceptance criteria defined ahead of time? Has anyone else reviewed your list of the things that need to be tested (better yet, were they involved in its creation in the first place)? Has anyone else vetted and verified key functions with you on the test system before you cut it over? Do people properly understand the impact if the cutover goes south? Is there a rollback plan if the upgrade cannot be completed as specified? If not, why not? These are the key questions CM should be asking. If you're focused on twiddly bits and changelogs instead of how this impacts the business, you're doing change management 100% incorrectly.

Good change management processes are about building trust, not removing trust, and it sounds like your team is loving up Rule #1.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 23, 2015

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mayodreams posted:

the user is always an idiot and lying

The current thread title is too good. But next time it reboots, this is a contender.

(Before anyone jumps down my throat, I firmly believe that IT is a customer service role and you should not be an adversarial dick, it's just a joke).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Docjowles posted:

(Before anyone jumps down my throat, I firmly believe that IT is a customer service role and you should not be an adversarial dick, it's just a joke).

I can be nice to a lying idiot, they're not mutually exclusive.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
The recruiter is always an idiot and lying

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

Man, I've had some interesting conversations / cold calls since updating my resume and putting it out there. I recently asked a guy that called me, "Did you actually look at my resume at all?" the other day. Not trying to be a jerk or have an attitude either, but honestly with the questions he was asking me you could tell he didn't give the resume a single look-over. He actually told me, "Sorry I'm not too familiar with these IT type roles, it's all kind of new to me."

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

myron cope posted:

I don't know what's involved in transitioning to office 365 but it's so far been pretty painful for us. About 10 or so mailboxes move a (week)night and then they spend the entire next day getting the peoples phones and computers actually working again. It's totally in sysadmin hands though, I have nothing to do with it.

A lot of times when a person is switched they don't get certain emails because a lot of reports and whatnot are hardcoded go to an @exchange.company address and need to go to @company and it takes a while to even find them all.

I've been on 365 for a while now and it's cool. They just got Lync working a little bit ago and it's neat but mine hangs a bunch. Checking event viewer shows sidebyside errors so I don't know what's happening. It's pretty cool though, as far as messaging goes.

Depending on your current config, the migration can take a number of different paths. For our Exchange 2003 project, I did a staged migration where you do users in batches. After the batch migrates the mailbox to o365, it adds attributes to the on prem AD account to forward all mail to O365. Since I had a relatively small number of users and mailboxes, I had our biggest data using accounts dump to a PST so we could make the staged migration happen with certainty over a weekend. Overall, it went really well aside from a mail loop that got created between the SMTP Relay/ Spam Filter and the Exchange server due to a 3rd SMTP server that I didn't know about from a vendor supported application.

The Groupwise migration was done primarily through a 3rd party that built a tool to migrate GW mailboxes to exchange ones, and then inject that data into O365. We did daily deltas until cut, when we stopped user access, did the final delta, and then cut the DNS records to point fully to 365 in the course of a weekend.

Both cases users had to clear their local address books and frequent contacts because of bad address (ie your @exchange) and for the case of groupwise, the user@postoffice notation the system uses internally.

I am really happy with O365 and much more so that we don't have to worry about the infrastructure outside of our adfs/dirsync servers.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Dark Helmut posted:

"I just got a clarification and.." No. No you didn't.

I thought of you today Helmut, I had a recruiter pull a 180 on a job description after I politely explained why I'd never, ever be interested. A typical BA requirements-gathering job (with a provided full job description) suddenly has ~coding~ in it! But she's not sure what percentage of my time would be spent coding! :rolleyes:

On the "meanie is learning about boundaries at work" front, my boss told me to put a sticky note on my computer that says "Can this wait until tomorrow?" She's totally backing me on working more sane hours and agreed that I can bail on Friday if nothing's on fire, and in her words "nothing should be on fire".

She also told me to pad my time when I give estimates for how long any work will take. I've been doing that, but not to the extent she suggested -- and it's a good point. I'd rather people be pleasantly surprised than me working the unplanned night shift because I opened my big mouth and set a date that didn't have enough contingency.

Fingers crossed over here.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
^^^^ Awesome! It's important in any field to be able to prioritize (and delegate if applicable), otherwise you end up overworked and burned out.

Did my resume advice help out? There wasn't much to change, it was pretty solid to begin with, but with a couple tweaks it would be awesome. DB devs are in demand and probably always will be, so you have that going for you. Wouldn't bother with the cert until you can get someone else to pay for it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Man, I've had some interesting conversations / cold calls since updating my resume and putting it out there. I recently asked a guy that called me, "Did you actually look at my resume at all?" the other day. Not trying to be a jerk or have an attitude either, but honestly with the questions he was asking me you could tell he didn't give the resume a single look-over. He actually told me, "Sorry I'm not too familiar with these IT type roles, it's all kind of new to me."

These are the guys everyone hates universally. The kid right out of school that the big agencies hire and stick on the phone to see if they can make it work. It's a model that works for them, hire 10 recruiters fresh out of school and the top 2 or 3 will make it. Meanwhile the rest make us all look like shitheads.

/rant

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 23, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SVhg6ZENw

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

These are the guys everyone hates universally. The kid right out of school that the big agencies hire and stick on the phone to see if they can make it work. It's a model that works for them, hire 10 recruiters fresh out of school and the top 2 or 3 will make it. Meanwhile the rest make us all look like shitheads.

/rant

I had an odd recruiter experience recently and I wonder if you can shed some light on it. I'd interviewed at a large-ish company for a contractor role on a new team. I come out of the interview with a positive feeling and receive good feedback from the recruiter. Couple days later I am told they actually want to hire me full-time rather than contractor. This is where it gets odd. Suddenly the recruiter starts being evasive and I can't get any details. Every conversation is "They definitely want you but their process takes time". After a week of this I (truthfully) let them know that I have other interview processes wrapping up and expect to have some offers by the end of the week.

This is where they let slip that there's a small problem. Their client has a policy where for contractor positions the hiring manager can use any staffing firm they wish. For full-time positions however, like they now wanted to offer me, the client is required to work through another firm (Randstad). I was told that this was "Making things tricky" so it "might take some more time to work things out". Sure enough the week came and went without any more movement, so I took another offer.

My assumption is that these recruiters were stalling my process until they could figure out how they were getting paid, since my hiring was going to have to go to Randstad. Does that sound about right?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Docjowles posted:

The current thread title is too good. But next time it reboots, this is a contender.

I present a pleasant demeanor until I start getting attitude or foul language. We have a very poor historical relationship with the business folks where they feel that they can yell, scream, belittle, and go over our heads at any minute to get what they want. We are slowly changing that, but generally, if you aren't conducting yourself in a professional manner, don't expect me to smiles and sunshine as a senior level engineer.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

MagnumOpus posted:

I had an odd recruiter experience recently and I wonder if you can shed some light on it. I'd interviewed at a large-ish company for a contractor role on a new team. I come out of the interview with a positive feeling and receive good feedback from the recruiter. Couple days later I am told they actually want to hire me full-time rather than contractor. This is where it gets odd. Suddenly the recruiter starts being evasive and I can't get any details. Every conversation is "They definitely want you but their process takes time". After a week of this I (truthfully) let them know that I have other interview processes wrapping up and expect to have some offers by the end of the week.

This is where they let slip that there's a small problem. Their client has a policy where for contractor positions the hiring manager can use any staffing firm they wish. For full-time positions however, like they now wanted to offer me, the client is required to work through another firm (Randstad). I was told that this was "Making things tricky" so it "might take some more time to work things out". Sure enough the week came and went without any more movement, so I took another offer.

My assumption is that these recruiters were stalling my process until they could figure out how they were getting paid, since my hiring was going to have to go to Randstad. Does that sound about right?

Yeah, that sounds absolutely right. It's lovely on the client side for having the agency do all that work only to yank the rug out from under them and want to hire you full time. The agency (and your recruiter) are right to expect compensation for that and having a policy where they can just go "Oops, I want to hire this person directly so F you I'm going through Randstad" would pretty much ensure that I would only let this happen one time before not working with the client again.

With that said, this is an example of when you can tell if the recruiter has your best interests in mind. Stalling a bit or taking some time to see if they can get things worked out, maybe cut a deal with Randstad, etc, would all be pretty normal, but taking a week when you are actively looking and interviewing seems a bit much from what you are telling me. No one likes to leave money on the table, especially after doing all the work behind getting a good candidate lined up for a good job, but at the end of the day I will always try not to stand between someone and a job they are a good fit for. I may lose in the short term, but I'll gain the candidate's trust and hopefully referrals as well as future business. Not to mention, assuming this isn't a regular practice for the client, this is an opportunity for that agency to show them they have the client's interests in mind and if it's a good client they will realize they screwed the agency and will throw them a bone in the near future in the form of an exclusive opportunity or lead time on a few positions before they are released to others.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or pay someone else like £2.50 a month per mailbox to host it all for you.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Docjowles posted:

Important rule of email troubleshooting: the chance that the root cause is "user typed the wrong loving email address" is directly proportional to how loudly they declare that they definitely typed the right email address.

I screamed in silence reading this.
We have a regular occurring problem where newly signed client contracts come in with misspelled E-mail addresses way too often because the dumbass selling it didn't double check or just has the hand writing of a child, on the flip side it's nice to know the automated welcome message system I made works great with bounce backs.

meanieface posted:

She also told me to pad my time when I give estimates for how long any work will take. I've been doing that, but not to the extent she suggested -- and it's a good point. I'd rather people be pleasantly surprised than me working the unplanned night shift because I opened my big mouth and set a date that didn't have enough contingency.

Yep, I try to cut down on the magical "Oh it's only a 5 minute job!" which inevitably turns into an hours work; because when does anything ever go to plan?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I don't know if this thread is the right place to ask, but there are like 3 IT threads so here goes.

I have a project at work to help cull some of the decade plus data sitting on our Windows file servers that hasn't been accessed in a decent amount of time. Googling has indicated that a Powershell script would probably be best. The problem is that I know next to nothing about Powershell. It is on my to-learn list, but I'm currently enrolled in WGU, so my brain's in depth learning bandwidth is maxed by my current courses.

I found a script that works pretty well:

Function Get-NeglectedFiles

code:
{

Param([string[]]$path,

[int]$numberDays)

$cutOffDate = (Get-Date).AddDays(-$numberDays)

Get-ChildItem -recurse -Path $path |

Where-Object {$_.LastAccessTime -le $cutOffDate}

}
The problem is that there is so much data that is nested in subdirectories upon subdirectories, that it is hitting the 248 character pathtoolong issue. Is there a better way to do this, or a non-complicated way around the path limit, or am I just hosed?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CapMoron posted:

I don't know if this thread is the right place to ask, but there are like 3 IT threads so here goes.

I have a project at work to help cull some of the decade plus data sitting on our Windows file servers that hasn't been accessed in a decent amount of time. Googling has indicated that a Powershell script would probably be best. The problem is that I know next to nothing about Powershell. It is on my to-learn list, but I'm currently enrolled in WGU, so my brain's in depth learning bandwidth is maxed by my current courses.

I found a script that works pretty well:

Function Get-NeglectedFiles

code:
{

Param([string[]]$path,

[int]$numberDays)

$cutOffDate = (Get-Date).AddDays(-$numberDays)

Get-ChildItem -recurse -Path $path |

Where-Object {$_.LastAccessTime -le $cutOffDate}

}
The problem is that there is so much data that is nested in subdirectories upon subdirectories, that it is hitting the 248 character pathtoolong issue. Is there a better way to do this, or a non-complicated way around the path limit, or am I just hosed?

This is an ok place to get some ideas for a non-powershell solution, but I'd you really want it to work, try here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Powershell doesn't use the file APIs in the way that allows up to 32k character paths? Really?

If the built-in cmdlets don't support long paths, I don't think you'll be getting around it easily, without writing some code in a "real" language. There is some documentation on the programming patterns required to support long file paths here: Maximum Path Length Limitation

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

You can't just copy/paste?

If you need preserve permissions just use robocopy.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is an ok place to get some ideas for a non-powershell solution, but I'd you really want it to work, try here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

Thanks! Didn't realize there was a Powershell thread, I'll post there later!

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Yeah, that sounds absolutely right. It's lovely on the client side for having the agency do all that work only to yank the rug out from under them and want to hire you full time. The agency (and your recruiter) are right to expect compensation for that and having a policy where they can just go "Oops, I want to hire this person directly so F you I'm going through Randstad" would pretty much ensure that I would only let this happen one time before not working with the client again.

With that said, this is an example of when you can tell if the recruiter has your best interests in mind. Stalling a bit or taking some time to see if they can get things worked out, maybe cut a deal with Randstad, etc, would all be pretty normal, but taking a week when you are actively looking and interviewing seems a bit much from what you are telling me. No one likes to leave money on the table, especially after doing all the work behind getting a good candidate lined up for a good job, but at the end of the day I will always try not to stand between someone and a job they are a good fit for. I may lose in the short term, but I'll gain the candidate's trust and hopefully referrals as well as future business. Not to mention, assuming this isn't a regular practice for the client, this is an opportunity for that agency to show them they have the client's interests in mind and if it's a good client they will realize they screwed the agency and will throw them a bone in the near future in the form of an exclusive opportunity or lead time on a few positions before they are released to others.

That's good to know, thanks. All of this sounds perfectly reasonable, and if they'd just been up front with me I bet we could have all worked something out.

How common are these exclusive contracts for placing full-time employers? When I've had hire/fire roles in the past there have been preferred staffing firms suggested, but I've never seen or heard of such a contractual obligation.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MagnumOpus posted:

How common are these exclusive contracts for placing full-time employers? When I've had hire/fire roles in the past there have been preferred staffing firms suggested, but I've never seen or heard of such a contractual obligation.

I'm a little unsure of what you're referring too but it's pretty common to have anti-ratholing policies in place. If you're hired for a contract-gig you can't bounce to become an FTE in X amount of years or go directly work for a customer, etc

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

I'm a little unsure of what you're referring too but it's pretty common to have anti-ratholing policies in place. If you're hired for a contract-gig you can't bounce to become an FTE in X amount of years or go directly work for a customer, etc

He's referring to some companies having preferred vendors. It's common in finance and some other industries to say "we'll only work with these contracting companies, and if your contract isn't coming from one of them, we're not gonna hire you no matter how good you look".

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

MagnumOpus posted:

That's good to know, thanks. All of this sounds perfectly reasonable, and if they'd just been up front with me I bet we could have all worked something out.

My viewpoint is only my small market, but my company is nationwide so I do hear about a lot more. It's common for companies to have preferred vendors, but half of what my sales people do is work and schmooze to get on these lists, and to profile great candidates to open jobs even when we aren't on a list.

It is fairly rare for a company to be doing what MagnumOpus referred to, having a separate exclusive relationship for perm only.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm currently enrolled in a master's program and am in my first class this semester. If I take one course per term, it'll take me around 3.5 years to complete. The program will only wind up costing me a minimal amount of money out of pocket due to tuition reimbursement and the money I get from the VA, and the university has a pedigree that commands international respect. On the flip side, my new employer has a state of the art CCIE lab for each of the specialties, from R&S to wireless. I believe if I dedicated the same amount of energy that's currently being required by my MS to the CCIE, I could have it within 18 months. Additionally, my employer will cover the costs of two exam failures and one lab failure. That is to say, I can take the written exam 3 times and the lab two times without incurring any cost of my own (they'll also pay for travel and lodging to RTP). Because of this, I'm seriously wondering if it's worth it to continue with the MS program or to just focus on the CCIE instead. Having a CCIE at this company will almost guarantee you a solutions architect position, and I plan on starting my own business in a few years anyway. Would it be a good idea to abandon, or at least postpone, the MS for the time being to focus on the CCIE?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I’ve been looking for a solution to take the place of a cloud hosted firewall and VPN solution through our ISP for several months now. Made a post a while back. The main factor was simply getting away from this ISP since we’re paying entirely way too much (~6500/mo) for the service we receive, however other factors like the how long it took to do routine tasks on the hosted Palo Alto as well as the clunky VPN client were factors as well.

Main office is in Seattle, second office in Portland. 200 employees and roughly 125 actual computer users. Roughly 50/20 desks at SEA/PDX. Exchange is hosted internally, but our website is externally hosted. We don’t have high throughput at this point (20Mb SEA & 12Mb PDX), but I’m looking to improve on that with either changes to our main connection, implementation of additional, cheaper, higher bandwidth connections, as well as potentially a dedicated fiber connection between our two offices. Main goal is to improve the end user experience working in and more importantly outside of the office. Paired with new firewalls, I’m working on a new RDS server, and will be testing Egnyte as a “dropbox” like service to tie into our existing file servers.
The main things I’m looking for are:

• Good performance – or… good enough that it isn’t a bottleneck. End result is that I want to be able to more effectively improve end-user perception of “speed”.
• Good enough security for our needs, which aren’t super high
• Site-to-site VPN – ideally cost effective.
• Client VPN with no per user licensing
• Ability to have 1+ connections for failover as well as active/active.
• Traffic Shaping/QoS so that I can divert high bandwidth traffic that doesn’t need to be on the primary connection such as web traffic and backup replications over those.

I’ve looked at Juniper SRX240 and 220, Fortinet 200D and 100D, Barracuda NG380 and NG280, and Sophos SG230 and SG210. After comparing costs, specs, pro’s and cons specific to my specific one-man operation working for a construction company, it looks like Sophos is the clear winner. The price is right in line with everyone else, the performance numbers blow everything else out of the water, the hardware appears to be better (ie. Bigger ssd, 8gb ram) to back up those numbers, the reporting out of the box looks much better, and lots of other things like being able to embed a how-to video on the VPN portal page. The biggest single advantage for me over what my initial bias was for – Fortinet – was that the Sophos site-to-site VPN option is insanely easy. The Red 10 setup takes a few minutes – punch in the serial, give it a subnet and a few other things, hand it to someone to take out to a site, and it will set itself up and create a tunnel back home. Not having to travel to sites alone is probably worth it.

I should add that I tested the Fortinet and Sophos options in-house. I preferred the Fortinet GUI as it seemed more logical to me, but perhaps it’s just because that’s the one I tested first and got used to it. On that subject, we used Sonicwalls in the past and I always disliked their GUI. That’s why I didn't mention them.

Anyway, my main questions are… is there anything I haven’t mentioned that I should be taking into account? Does anyone have experience with Sophos? Any reason not to pull the trigger?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'd ask in the Cisco short questions thread. Don't let the title mislead you, it's general networking too.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

psydude posted:

Would it be a good idea to abandon, or at least postpone, the MS for the time being to focus on the CCIE?
You're already a senior guy; I know some government contractors have a requirement that people have to have a MS before they'll bid them for certain spots on a project, but I don't think it translates directly into pay quite like a CCIE does.

But then again, CCIE is super specialist, no one's going to want you to do anything except 100% networking once you've got one.

I have no idea about how much a MS would help the business side of contracting.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Richard Noggin posted:

I'd ask in the Cisco short questions thread. Don't let the title mislead you, it's general networking too.
Thanks, had no idea where to post networking poo poo.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Last year I was promoted to a team lead role on a trial basis. It became de facto official but never "HR official", and I brought that up with my boss today. He said I'm welcome to pick whatever title I want. I'm currently just System Administrator.

I know titles are largely irrelevant but I'd still like to come up with something reasonable (ie, not Level 10 Linux Wizard). And also not oversell the scope of what I'm doing like that "IT Director" in Ask/Tell the other day who was the only IT guy in a small business. Basically I lead/manage a small team of sysadmins and network engineers while also doing individual contributor sysadmin stuff. It's 100% Operations on our public applications, no internal IT or support.

Systems and Network Manager (this was the previous lead's title)
Lead System Administrator
Systems Lead
Systems Manager (leaning toward this one)

I dunno. It's kind of a niche role and I'm having trouble finding the right term for it.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Would infrastructure manager not be a better as a catch all title?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I think it depends on where you want to go next. If you want to continue down the management track, systems manager or infrastructure manager work well. If you want to move towards architecture, I might go the "lead" route which implies you're more hands on. It's just assumed sometimes that an "IT manager" has stepped away from the day to day screw-turning a bit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fluppet posted:

Would infrastructure manager not be a better as a catch all title?

I think this is my favorite option. Thanks! It does perhaps downplay the individual contributor/technical side but I see myself moving further into management eventually (:smithicide:) so I'm OK with that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's with HR/Recruiter goons randomly friending me on LinkedIn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

What's with HR/Recruiter goons randomly friending me on LinkedIn?

Probably so they can have access to your network of contacts.