Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TheMostFrench posted:

Eunuchs coming back into fashion.

Minus the socks, I see people dress their children in this style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Am a millennial and want to weigh in the outfit debate. Also a woman. For an interview I feel like the only tights allowed should be pantyhose. They just seem more professional than others even plain black. Andi wouldn't have chosen a black red color scheme. It feels goth and immature. Blues/browns work very well. Like you can do either or, but both black and red as main color schemes and you just seem basic bitch :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TheMostFrench posted:

Eunuchs coming back into fashion.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
"Morally condemning"

http://time.com/money/3828649/job-interview-tips-college-grads/

quote:

1. Plan Your Outfit Carefully ...
2. Be On Time ...
3. Stay Off Social Media
Its OK to post in celebration of landing a new gig. But ranting about a rejection or unfairness could lead you to make a career-destroying blunder as these social media users did.

Hiring someone, especially someone who's going to be responsible for a great deal of your code base, is a serious undertaking for a business, and so the employee-to-be showing that they can demonstrate the utmost readiness at the simple deadline of the interview time (it's not like they might be late because they have to depart from their job to get there) is vital to their employment. If she told them she's going to be late, that means she didn't plan to get there early. If she knew well in advance she couldn't get there, she could have rescheduled, instead of agreeing to an interview time and then discovering that she didn't leave early enough in an era where Our Lord Google's maps tell you how bad the traffic will be on a given time and day. I don't know much about women's fashion, but that ensemble does seem like if I wore a T-shirt and jeans to an interview which I would never do.

withak posted:

Guys it is also possible that the internet person is not being 100% truthful in her retelling of the interview story.
This too.

jpg or die:

Beard koozie.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stinky_Pete posted:

"Morally condemning"

http://time.com/money/3828649/job-interview-tips-college-grads/

Hiring someone, especially someone who's going to be responsible for a great deal of your code base, is a serious undertaking for a business, and so the employee-to-be showing that they can demonstrate the utmost readiness at the simple deadline of the interview time (it's not like they might be late because they have to depart from their job to get there) is vital to their employment. If she told them she's going to be late, that means she didn't plan to get there early. If she knew well in advance she couldn't get there, she could have rescheduled, instead of agreeing to an interview time and then discovering that she didn't leave early enough in an era where Our Lord Google's maps tell you how bad the traffic will be on a given time and day. I don't know much about women's fashion, but that ensemble does seem like if I wore a T-shirt and jeans to an interview which
jpg or die:

Beard koozie.

Ok that beard thing is millenial as gently caress. .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mr. mephistopheles posted:

wheel lady for sure

overalls boy is just trying to hide his blackhole of a personality

mentally ill people defy social norms because they don't understand them or don't care, non mentally ill people defy social norms because they are terrified someone will realize how uninteresting they are as people

millentlyill.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Millentally Ill

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Am a millennial and want to weigh in the outfit debate. Also a woman. For an interview I feel like the only tights allowed should be pantyhose. They just seem more professional than others even plain black. Andi wouldn't have chosen a black red color scheme. It feels goth and immature. Blues/browns work very well. Like you can do either or, but both black and red as main color schemes and you just seem basic bitch :colbert:

Post your millenial interview fit.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

thanks for undermining legitimate social issues because you don't know how to loving dress professionally for an interview

yeah i'm sure you got turned down because you were wearing something too sexual and not because you look like you stumbled through a hot topic

Actually, what looks unprofessional about this clown is her face. Her face is why I wouldn't hire her. Also her fatness.

naem
May 29, 2011

She's one of those dumpy Midwestern girls who insist they are cute and get mad if you aren't into them

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She doesn't have that vacant look of the empty and soulless that I look for in a good programmer

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 21, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

naem posted:

She's one of those dumpy Midwestern girls who insist they are cute and get mad if you aren't into them
you basically described college freshman

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

Why do midwest girls seem to have the box shape?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dexys Midnight Tweeters

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
It truly is a golden era of making lots of money selling the most retarded thing you can come up with. It's like the 50s only instead of weight loss machines and dangerous chemicals you have novelty fashion and artisinal food poo poo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i wouldnt hold that outfit against an interviewee. im p neautral on it.

I'm p easy going tho, my co-interviewers may have judged more harshly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I interview people but HR sends me like one guy and if I don't say yes then I have to do the job plus mine. Fun!

The second to last one got in a fist fight with a mail man. Millennials, am i rite

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
lol if you get a job through interviews rather than connections I guess???

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

symbolic posted:

look at these millennials being comfortable and relaxing on the job

how dare they

hell yeah playing video games on the job is cool and not obviously a desperate replacement for having real friends

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

I'm actually over 50, and work for a multinational defense contractor. But in the civilian IT services side. Does that make my opinion more or less valid?

you work in it and youre trying to define what clothing looks professional?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Rule of thumb for interviews is one level above what the daily dress code would be. If you do not know, then wear business-professional to be safe. Suit and tie or graytone/subtle blouse, skirt or dress - imagine what a bank teller would be wearing, as they generally wear Business Professional attire.
Overdressing is far less likely to hurt you then underdressing. You are at an interview to make your best professional impression. You never know if your competition is so close that the only deciding difference is what you each decided to wear to the interview.

Bright red and black, gothic frills is not business professional. It isn't even business casual. She should learn her lesson and move on, and not cry discrimination.

Also, they have the right to not hire you, or fire you, for any reason as long as it is not for being in a protected class. Bright red skirts is not a protected class. They could even say "we didn't like her dyed hair" and that is 100% legit. Tattoos, piercings, tobacco smokers, even facial hair? All 100% legal reasons to not hire someone as well. You might get away with those, but don't get upset if you don't. That is why it is a rule of thumb to cover tats, remove piercings, don't smoke before an interview, and shave.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

thanks for undermining legitimate social issues because you don't know how to loving dress professionally for an interview

yeah i'm sure you got turned down because you were wearing something too sexual and not because you look like you stumbled through a hot topic

What the hell. That's the North Quad at Oberlin. Looks like, poo poo I forget the name of the dorm, Noah, maybe? God drat the current batch of Obies suck!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

abigserve posted:

hell yeah playing video games on the job is cool and not obviously a desperate replacement for having real friends

Word.

It seems like Silicon Valley wants its employees to show unswerving dedication. It's not a job, it's a cause. On site 16 hrs. a day. Why not go all Foxconn and make it 24 hrs? Actually it seems pretty wasteful for productivity. Why have someone do a job in eight hours when you can spread all that "disruption" out in sixteen?

Call it big capitalism or cultishness, it's reeks of exploitation.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That outfit sucks. The skirt doesn't fit her and the black cardigan looks awful and disheveled. Going to the club would be a nice way to say you look like you just walked home after passing out in th back of your friend's jeep Cherokee. At an interview where you are supposed to show an inkling of self confidence, that outfit says "I have none"

Also lol at the horrible blue purse

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

EugeneJ posted:

Dexys Midnight Tweeters

Poor old Johnny Ray
Sounded sad upon the radio
He moved a million hearts in mono

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

EugeneJ posted:

Dexys Midnight Tweeters

A neck bandana would almost be an improvement.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Strange Aeon posted:

Poor old Johnny Ray
Sounded sad upon the radio
He moved a million hearts in mono

Poor old Sugar Ray
Sounded sad upon the Internet
He moved a million songs on iTunes

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Yeah no, sorry but as a manager who does interviews for my company I would be :catstare: if someone came to an interview dressed like this. And I am a female. Would I turn her down soley on appearance alone? No, but it would make a lovely first impression (which is a big deal considering when getting an entry-level position interview, you're going up against so many other candidates it's like winning a lottery). That is not professional. That's something you wear to a casual place after you've been there for a while. Ditto with the hair, again it wouldn't bother me but styles like that are a great way to turn off managers. Especially if you're being interviewed by an older person. The fact that she's throwing a whiny tantrum over it just proves that the company dodged a bullet.

How to be interview ready as a girl: go to a department store, buy a Worthington's blouse (or any brand that is a polyester blend) and business slacks. It's the laziest goon outfit in the world, that material is cheap and doesn't even need ironing but it looks professional. You can literally pick it out of a pile of wrinkly laundry and wear it just fine. Toss on a blazer on top if the outfit shows too much shoulder or it's cold out.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Sure is cold outside, wish I had a scarf. Ah, I'll just grab the hallway rug.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It just doesn't have the same welcoming atmosphere like a goons Columbia ski jacket from 1999

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
its cool that its the posters more than the posts itt

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pandemonium posted:

What the hell. That's the North Quad at Oberlin. Looks like, poo poo I forget the name of the dorm, Noah, maybe? God drat the current batch of Obies suck!

When did it start getting bat poo poo insane?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Cuckoo posted:

And I am a female

of course you are

Cuckoo posted:

Especially if you're being interviewed by an older person

is rping an older person a requirement for working in hr or it jsut shows dedication

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sorry but interview girl is fine. When you grow up and get into a real company outside of the industry of burgers and fries, you will see.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
She got rejected and acted like one of those creeps on OKC who turn hostile as soon as they are spurned.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best part is when she cussed out the company at the end of her long rant for not hiring a true genius.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: ^^^ OnShift did nothing wrong.

No. 6 posted:

Sorry but interview girl is fine. When you grow up and get into a real company outside of the industry of burgers and fries, you will see.

Depends on where you are in the country. Where I'm living now, it'd be fine. Where I grew up, she'd be rejected for dressing like teenager.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

abigserve posted:

are you still stuck in 1995? you can play video games and have friends now. hell, you can even make friends through video games!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

symbolic posted:

are you still stuck in 1995? you can play video games and have friends now. hell, you can even make friends through video games!

:lol: get a job and a haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

symbolic posted:

Go eat your gogurt and watch a fuckin reality TV show you fuckin child :old:

• Locked thread