Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I hope some chinese princeling wins the bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

There are already game devs pulling support over this

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

the talent deficit posted:

how is it not cheaper and more effective to hire early and fire early?

Because this is a terrible experience for everyone involved? The employee who likely gave up a position to join the company who now has to figure out how to pay rent/a mortgage on unemployment and the employer who has to go back through the hire process and watch their unemployment tax burden jump (unless they say it's for cause in which case it's a double gently caress-you to the employee)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Good job yahoo, noticing that data breach from two years ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Femtosecond posted:

Good, IMO.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is stretching out longer than Francisco Franco's death.

He's still dead right? SNL stopped giving status updates decades ago.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Femtosecond posted:

Which ones, and why?

The founder of a piece of tech has opinions you dislike. How is that an issue?

And I dislike his opinions.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Racism shouldn't be an acceptable opinion.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

Which ones, and why?

Maybe they believe in social responsibility as a guiding concept and don't want to reward someone who hold lovely opinions

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rscott posted:

Maybe they believe in social responsibility as a guiding concept and don't want to reward someone who hold lovely opinions

Palmer is rewarded more by changes in $FB than by dev support for the Rift, but I still applaud the gesture.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kobayashi posted:

But political correctness!
Freedom of speech!
Gamer gate!
Mra!
Pua!
Fat acceptance

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

Which ones, and why?

https://twitter.com/polytron/status/779392568425455616

I think I heard there's more.

Presumably people don't want to have any part in enriching Luckey or they just want to send a message to Luckeys bosses.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Palmer's bosses better not do anything in response to his political speech or they'll be coughing up big lawsuit bucks. Off-duty political activity is protected in California (thankfully).

The ~~free market~~ can of course react as it deems appropriate, which will be nice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Can they react to losing customers though?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Probably not, given that devs aren't the customers and they'd have a hard time showing a link.

Also, given the amount of "boycott" noise that the FB acquisition generated, I think it would be a tricky case to make.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 23, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Twitter said to be in sales negotiations. An offer is expected "by year-end", and Google and Salesforce are said to be the frontrunners.

This is stretching out longer than Francisco Franco's death.

In other news, Generalissima Marissa Mayer is still fired...

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

fordan posted:

Because this is a terrible experience for everyone involved? The employee who likely gave up a position to join the company who now has to figure out how to pay rent/a mortgage on unemployment and the employer who has to go back through the hire process and watch their unemployment tax burden jump (unless they say it's for cause in which case it's a double gently caress-you to the employee)

Also, future people are less likely to take a job offer if they know there's a reputation for early firings.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Liquid Communism posted:

H1B reform isn't because there's a lack of candidates.

It's because there's a lack of candidates willing to work for sub-$40k in SV.

LOL, no. I think you underestimate the average H1B salary.

http://h1bwage.com/

Edit: 2016 info
http://www.h1bdata.info/

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

hobbesmaster posted:

Can they react to losing customers though?

HTC's Vive was already outselling the Rift.

Game devs dropping support for the Rift is just going to widen the gap.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pixelboy posted:

LOL, no. I think you underestimate the average H1B salary.

http://h1bwage.com/

Edit: 2016 info
http://www.h1bdata.info/

wait doesnt that proove his point? they want to reform it to increase supply, driving down those prices

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

It's a legal one to have though. Not to mention that nothing on that link says he's a racist.

Of course, you can say every Trump supporter is a racist, including the (granted, few) poc that are part of it, of course, but then you're just coming off as a bit of an rear end.

"I don't like the opinions that he holds in private, and which have no bearing on this piece of tech or the company producing it" is a really idiotic reason to boycott. The fact is that every CEO of every company has opinions that may are may not be repulsive to you, but as long as that doesn't play a role in the company's business, you shouldn't care.

Also, the Daily Beast article repeats that pro Gawker mantra of Peter Thiel being eeeeeevil, as if the fact that he bankrolled legitimate suit somehow takes legitimacy away from it.

gently caress Trump, though.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Non Serviam posted:

Which ones, and why?

Using your wealth to create megaphone for hate speech is just an opinion, maaaaan.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Forgall posted:

Using your wealth to create megaphone for hate speech is just an opinion, maaaaan.

Actually, it is. I'm sorry you don't understand what the word "opinion" means.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Non Serviam posted:

Actually, it is. I'm sorry you don't understand what the word "opinion" means.

Your really owning that red text ain't ya?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Your really owning that red text ain't ya?

Because I said what the meaning of "opinion" is? You do realize I don't need to agree with him to say that, right?

I like the thread, this will just lead to a derail. Move along.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think people know what an opinion is. But just because you have one doesn't mean that spouting that poo poo off can't or won't have consequences and people choose who they fraternize with all the time based on opinions

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I think people know what an opinion is. But just because you have one doesn't mean that spouting that poo poo off can't or won't have consequences and people choose who they fraternize with all the time based on opinions

I think it's legitimate to not hang out with the guy if you think his opinions are poo poo. It's also legitimate not to do business with him if you don't want, I just think, in the case of something like a piece of tech that has no ideological bias (as opposed to a restaurant that doesn't cater to gays, for example) is pointless, since his opinions are not touching the tech.

Edit. To be clear, I'm not questioning whether it's legal or legitimate to not do business with the company. Of course it is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're basically giving him money to spend on "shitposting" by buying a Rift, so I think not wanting to do that is fairly uncontroversial.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

You're basically giving him money to spend on "shitposting" by buying a Rift, so I think not wanting to do that is fairly uncontroversial.
Do you believe none of the share holders of the other VR brands (or most company you spend money on in fact) don't give money to the Trump campaign? Realistically a small amount of the money you spend is going to end up on both campaign accounts.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Toplowtech posted:

Do you believe none of the share holders of the other VR brands (or most company you spend money on in fact) don't give money to the Trump campaign? Realistically a small amount of the money you spend is going to end up on both campaign accounts.
Giving money to campaign is a bit more abstract that giving it directly to abusive creeps I see on the internet daily. Both are evil of course, but latter is more personal.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Forgall posted:

Giving money to campaign is a bit more abstract that giving it directly to abusive creeps I see on the internet daily. Both are evil of course, but latter is more personal.
I don't think getting him fired of Occulus for a 10 000$ donation to some "troll group" will do anything but encourage him to spend more money trolling people. The guy personal fortune is still 700 million according to Forbes, i don't think going after him will make it less personal and will reduce the amount of creeps trolling around you. But if you feel like you must do something, please it's free country.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

I don't think getting him fired of Occulus for a 10 000$ donation to some "troll group" will do anything but encourage him to spend more money trolling people. The guy personal fortune is still 700 million according to Forbes, i don't think going after him will make it less personal and will reduce the amount of creeps trolling around you. But if you feel like you must do something, please it's free country.

But wasn't he bought out by Facebook? Even in the Daily Beast story they weren't sure about where he supposedly works

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think employment gets hazy once your net worth closes in on that ninth zero.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

I think it's legitimate to not hang out with the guy if you think his opinions are poo poo. It's also legitimate not to do business with him if you don't want, I just think, in the case of something like a piece of tech that has no ideological bias (as opposed to a restaurant that doesn't cater to gays, for example) is pointless, since his opinions are not touching the tech.

Edit. To be clear, I'm not questioning whether it's legal or legitimate to not do business with the company. Of course it is.

It's pointless to you because you don't give a poo poo about racism and bigotry clearly

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Non Serviam posted:

It's a legal one to have though. Not to mention that nothing on that link says he's a racist.

Of course, you can say every Trump supporter is a racist, including the (granted, few) poc that are part of it, of course, but then you're just coming off as a bit of an rear end.

"I don't like the opinions that he holds in private, and which have no bearing on this piece of tech or the company producing it" is a really idiotic reason to boycott. The fact is that every CEO of every company has opinions that may are may not be repulsive to you, but as long as that doesn't play a role in the company's business, you shouldn't care.

Also, the Daily Beast article repeats that pro Gawker mantra of Peter Thiel being eeeeeevil, as if the fact that he bankrolled legitimate suit somehow takes legitimacy away from it.

gently caress Trump, though.

Your'e wrong.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

^^^
K.

rscott posted:

It's pointless to you because you don't give a poo poo about racism and bigotry clearly

I'm sure you can vouch for all the executives that participate in every company whose products you use.
Of course, you only buy products from companies with the Right Opinions®. Can you share a list with us, so that we can all demonstrate how much we care about racism and bigotry?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Non Serviam posted:

I'm sure you can vouch for all the executives that participate in every company whose products you use.

I can certainly vouch for one, and make very public decisions based on that information.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Non Serviam posted:

Of course, you only buy products from companies with the Right Opinions®. Can you share a list with us, so that we can all demonstrate how much we care about racism and bigotry?
There's nothing inconsistent about reacting to information you have, while not actively seeking out information you don't have. The very fact I didn't need to seek out this information means their opinions are more public than private, which in itself can be a factor in my analysis.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Non Serviam posted:

^^^
K.

Oh no, you're right, some people might be racists, now we're incapable of action against those who definitely are. :confused:

Unless you're saying that boycott is weak-sauce bougie bullshit, and we should be punishing this guy more directly. In which case, right on, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

I doubt that the execs of the Korean, Taiwanese or Japanese companies making the competing VR headsets are donating to the Trump campaign.