Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

no they will not posted:

what da fuk lol

:D :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
Aside from the massive challenge of translating something as absurd as Jojo into live action, how on earth could you even cut down part 3 to movie length and have it feel anything like the original?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like literally any part other than stardust crusaders would do better as a live action movie

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You'd have to cut 90% of the series to fit it into a movie, I feel, and you'd still need three movies to tell that abridged version of the story either way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The whole movie is the Dio fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dias posted:

You'd have to cut 90% of the series to fit it into a movie, I feel, and you'd still need three movies to tell that abridged version of the story either way.

yeah, i'm not really sure what all they'd be able to include. a phantom blood movie would be a lot better since it's shorter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

40 minute montage of random stand user attacks and gaining Polnareff as an ally and then forty minutes of fighting DIO.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Anything with live action stands would be amazing, and I highly encourage it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, i'm not really sure what all they'd be able to include. a phantom blood movie would be a lot better since it's shorter

Phantom Blood is just SLIGHTLY too long for a 2h+ movie if you trim it down. It's a lot more plausible and it stands by itself a lot better than SDC tho.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dias posted:

Phantom Blood is just SLIGHTLY too long for a 2h+ movie if you trim it down. It's a lot more plausible and it stands by itself a lot better than SDC tho.

yeah, there'd definitely be a little trimming going on here and there. but as a contained story it flows a lot better than stardust crusaders does which kind of requires context

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
In the live Jojo movie, a group of 6 men do a coordinated dance to slowly float a rock in the air, then one man punches it towards someone

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The last time we got a Phantom Blood movie, it cut out Speedwagon so fuuuuuck that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

SDC might be able to work as two movies, if you move and cut some things around.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

SDC might be able to work as two movies, if you move and cut some things around.

You'd have to cut 90% of fights.

Movie 1 would be the standard intro up to Kakyoin, they get on the road (maybe Tower of Grey?), Polly fight, Hol Horse fight, maybe fuse Judgement, Geb and High Priestess so you can make it to Egypt?

Movie 2 would be Bastet, Hol Horse talking to DIO, D'arby 1, Vanilla Ice and then all the DIO chapters.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Moltrey posted:

The last time we got a Phantom Blood movie, it cut out Speedwagon so fuuuuuck that.

The Phantom Blood movie was so terrible that it was never released on home video at all.

The only footage that exists is from trailers. Nobody even bothered to make a bootleg of it!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dias posted:

Have the whole journey from Japan to Egypt segment summarized a la the Borat intro traveling sequence for the first 30 seconds then have the rest of the movie be a condensed form of the Egypt fights all the way through the end of DIO's World with DIO being the last 1/3 of the movie.

I'll be waiting for my royalty check in the mail.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 30, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While discussion on the topic's already subsided a bit, I'm gonna go ahead and put mild moratorium on the circular sexism arguments hereon in. It's a conversation that has it's place, but every time it crops up in Jojo the discussion tends to follow the same circular route with very little variation. Even reading through the backlog, I was able to guess the content of several different users' posts (on both sides), and was never once surprised or proven incorrect.

Jojo was, and continues to be, a product of its time and genre. There are things worth bearing in mind, things worth criticizing, things worth letting go, and things worth disagreeing over and discussing, but this particular line of conversation hasn't turned up much of anything new or interesting the last three times we've had it, though it has nearly scuttled a thread or two more than once.

It's a conversation you can still have, but I'll ask you not to have it here. I value the thread not eating itself alive over the infinitesimally small chance of new insight arising.

Thanks for understanding.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Did Cream/Vanilla Ice have a tarot card associated with them like the other DIO minions? I'm not finding anything on the JoJo wikia.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no. vanilla ice and kenny g don't have any sort of naming scheme other than the music refs that the rest of the series is known for.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Araki ran out of tarot cards.

They're both just named after musicians and albums.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Did Nukesaku's stand have a name? Did Nukesaku even have a stand? Was he just some guy with a woman's face on the back of his head that DIO turned into a vampire?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's just a vampire

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nukesaku was a weird vampire w/ weird poo poo going on along the lines of the weird hybrid things in phantom blood

also his name just means 'dumbass'. honestly his presence is kind of baffling in general

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nukesaku is the final form of Dio's mancats.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
there's a lot of nuance and meaning in the word "nukesaku" that we foreigners simply can't understand

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

DIO came up with a lot of new ideas for new weird hybrid bodies while he was in his coffin, but then he made Nukesaku and immediately decided against having anymore vampire minions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To VIZ's credit, they translated it as "Idiot," which fits well enough.

Nukesaku is just what sticks in my head due to reading the scans too much while waiting for the last few volumes to arrive.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bad Seafood posted:

Araki ran out of tarot cards.

They're both just named after musicians and albums.

Weirdly enough, Kenny G's Stand isn't even named after an album or a song; it's named after an instrument (Tenor Sax).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Johnny Joestar posted:

nukesaku was a weird vampire w/ weird poo poo going on along the lines of the weird hybrid things in phantom blood

also his name just means 'dumbass'. honestly his presence is kind of baffling in general

I think Nukesaku's whole point is to be a throw-away word pun gag (i.e. Jotaro 'guesses' his name because he called him a dumbass, haha what a funny coincidence) and as a quisling traitor leading the Crusaders to DIO's lair, later sacrificed for the story as a show of DIO's immense power.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dias posted:

Best I could figure how to do that would be:

* Begin the movie with a montage of how Dio gets taken in by the Joestars.
* Some brief stuff in their childhood, maybe somewhat abridged but lengthy enough to show Dio is a dick and Erina exists.
* Dio poisons George, so Jonathan goes to get the poison examined and meets Speedwagon.
* Dio turns into a vamp and gets temporarily burned up in the house fire, and Jonathan is injured.
* Zeppeli, (as well as Straizo, Dire, and Tompetty?) show up and trains Jonathan in the art of mystical sunlight kung-fu.
* The group all teams up to fight Dio's army of zombies or something. Zeppeli and Dire die in the process, and Speedwagon does something awesome because his name is Speedwagon.
* Jonathan goes on his honeymoon, only for Dio to show up and ruin everything, because that's kind of his thing.
* End the movie with Joseph's Coca Cola scene. Product placement!

Even then, though, that still feels a bit too bloated for a movie, yet too sparse to develop properly.

Butt Ox posted:

Did Nukesaku's stand have a name? Did Nukesaku even have a stand? Was he just some guy with a woman's face on the back of his head that DIO turned into a vampire?

Nukesaku was just a weirdo vampire. D'arby, Kenny G, and Vanilla Ice even bully him for not having a Stand.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think Nukesaku's whole point is to be a throw-away word pun gag (i.e. Jotaro 'guesses' his name because he called him a dumbass, haha what a funny coincidence) and as a quisling traitor leading the Crusaders to DIO's lair, later sacrificed for the story as a show of DIO's immense power.

It's always important to have incompetent henchmen so that not only do they make your others look good by comparison, but they can also be executed for fear and intimidation at a moment's notice.

Why else do you think Dio got Nukesaku to shoot at him and The World with a gun instead of Hol Horse? :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 30, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He probably had 100% Horse try shoot him, he just messed it up and broke some poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best movie adaptations are always the ones who don't care about slavish adherence to the text and just do whatever is necessary to fit the new medium. So a SDC movie is perfectly doable: it will be very different and that's alright! Whether it's good or not is a completely separate matter than if it's faithful or not.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best movie adaptations are always the ones who don't care about slavish adherence to the text and just do whatever is necessary to fit the new medium. So a SDC movie is perfectly doable: it will be very different and that's alright! Whether it's good or not is a completely separate matter than if it's faithful or not.

Rebuild of JoJo, where Kaykoin survives and Jotaro dies. Also Holly gets Star Platinum.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

lol have you guys ever seen a live action anime adaptation before. It'll be silly and campy and cheap and have the barest relation to the source material and it will be fine. And we will forget about it like 2 weeks after it airs.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Would you guys rather have a real dog for Iggy or this dude

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Just watched the episode. I liked the episode.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I would honestly split Phantom Blood into two movies.

You know how the Rambo movies go "First Blood", then "Rambo: First Blood part 2"? I'd market the first half as "Phantom Blood", a Victorian Gothic Horror movie. You've got Dio and Jonathan growing up together, the rising tension of the mask and what exactly is the deal with it, it all leads up to Dio rejecting his humanity and a climactic showdown within the burning mansion. Jonathan prevails, reunites with Erina, Speedwagon withdraws coolly, seems like everything's over...

Then Zeppeli shows up, jumps around, punches a frog, punches Jonathan in the stomach, then drops the bombshell "Dio ain't loving dead yo" and we get a big

TO BE CONTINUED

IN

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE: PHANTOM BLOOD PART 2

*cue opening riff to Sono Chi No Sadame*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

W.T. Fits posted:

Weirdly enough, Kenny G's Stand isn't even named after an album or a song; it's named after an instrument (Tenor Sax).

Which is dumb because Kenny G plays the soprano sax. :spergin:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

lol have you guys ever seen a live action anime adaptation before. It'll be silly and campy and cheap and have the barest relation to the source material and it will be fine. And we will forget about it like 2 weeks after it airs.

The live action Sailor Moon was glorious in its cheapness, every scene with 2000-era CG Luna was unforgettable. I'm down for a SDC live action series as long as you can promise me it will look like poo poo, in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

scarlett johanssson for jotaro

• Locked thread