Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

World Famous W posted:

I hear Crawl stone soup is a good one.

blaster casters rule

crawl stone soup was awesome until I got tired of holding down tab or playing an idiot firestorm vehumet blaster DE

now that WJC has showed me that melee doesn't have to be boring as poo poo, I want a roguelike that'll let me do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I need something to do while waiting for more dev review on Cyno (or whatever new name it is going to be: likely Gnoll from the looks of it). Since Charms is kind of empty after all the cuts and buff spells sound like a good place to mix up combat between Tab and Blaster Mage, it sounds like a good spot for some new content.

Post your ideas for new Charms spells: both simple ideas or complex breakdowns welcome. For simple ideas, suggest something that either not all players want or that players do not want on all the time. If you want to do a complex breakdown, follow the previous sentence as well as:
-Effect should scale with spellpower, not designed as a bare minimum XP requirement
-Effect should have a downside to prevent being used all the time. Being a high enough spell level for the effect counts as a downside, a la Deflect Missiles.
-Should not be optimal to cast outside of combat

I'll be working on ripping off random MOBA buffs (current idea is a reactive armor charm that stuns attackers) until someone suggests something cool enough.

Superterranean posted:

crawl stone soup was awesome until I got tired of holding down tab or playing an idiot firestorm vehumet blaster DE

now that WJC has showed me that melee doesn't have to be boring as poo poo, I want a roguelike that'll let me do that

Try Sil if you haven't already.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

Superterranean posted:

My main inspiration for WJC was crypt of the necrodancer, give it a try if you enjoy roguelites too and don't mind the twitch/reflexes part.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would like a charm that makes your weapon create a splash damage explosion like Devastator. Unlike Devastator, the damage should probably be based on base weapon damage(anywhere from 50 to 75%, I think) and perhaps also spellpower like spectral weapon. Perhaps should not affect the an enemy who is also hit by the weapon itself, or it could be too strong as a damage buff vs. single targets when I mean it primarily for use vs. crowds. Charms/Earth?

Obvious downside is large sound created. Not sure what an appropriate level would be, probably around 5?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 3, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Charms 5: Haste Other: Buff another being with haste. Gives yourself contamination like old haste did. Duration and range based on spellpower.

Charms / Poison 7: Ring of Farts: randomly generate miasma, poison, and mephitic clouds in a 5*5 box around you while you have the spell active. Duration based on spellpower, not immune to your own clouds.

Charms 8: Deep Impact: next time you hit an enemy in melee, deal your remaining mp bar as additional damage and do knockback like Force Lance. Like a super-Infusion. If the spell times out before you hit someone, it discharges the mp anyway.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 3, 2017

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Speleothing posted:

Charms 5: Haste Other: Buff another being with haste. Gives yourself contamination like old haste did. Duration and range based on spellpower.

Charms / Poison 7: Ring of Farts: randomly generate miasma, poison, and mephitic clouds in a 5*5 box around you while you have the spell active. Duration based on spellpower, not immune to your own clouds.

Charms 8: Deep Impact: next time you hit an enemy in melee, deal your remaining mp bar as additional damage and do knockback like Force Lance. Like a super-Infusion. If the spell times out before you hit someone, it discharges the mp anyway.

The last one is a really cool idea but make it a more attainable level and don't have it empty your mana

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm just throwing things out to see what sticks. Exact balance is beyond my pay grade.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Anything like +20ish damage(or more) every melee would be completely insane if it didn't also consume MP on hit.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IronicDongz posted:

Anything like +20ish damage(or more) every melee would be completely insane if it didn't also consume MP on hit.

Infuse does that with only a single mana per hit adn its not op
Just the knockback would also be cool, maybe a little extra damage if they hit a wall, doesn't force lance do that too?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Goon project : let's make our own (good) dcss branch. DC:SS good frogger edition

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How about a high-level version of Beastly Appendage that gives you things like tail+constrict, mana-absorbing fangs, spines, etc.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It does impact damage when they hit walls or eachother, yes. And 1mp per 1 damage is not even very efficient compared to conjurations, it's just a starting point for a conversation. Edit: if Deep Impact is going to be a high level spell, then you should be able to use it to punch people into lava.

I was also serious about my other two suggestions, and like the devastator spell that was suggested.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 3, 2017

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
A charm that makes your next spell or next few spells do extra damage, but increases cast time based on the spell's level.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
A channeled spell that slowly saps an enemy's damage and temporarily transfers it to you. It would temporarily lower your attack after it expires or whatever.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Summon Bubbles: exactly the same as Summon Butterflies, except bubbles.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Trunko posted:

Goon project : let's make our own (good) dcss branch. DC:SS good frogger edition

I'll make the wiki

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
A spell that causes ranged attacks to split and hit multiple targets, or to bounce between targets. It'd have lowered base damage or something.

A magical berserk where you can't melee, only cast but faster/stronger. Or make it for hybrids and it increases attack damage and speed each time you cast while the buff is up. You get slowed after and sometimes pass out like with regular berserk.

A spell that makes your next melee attack add a 3 aut timer to the enemy, which causes an aoe poison/slow effect when it expires. The aoe affects you too though.

Make harm into a spell, or bring back haste but make the target take extra damage while hasted.

A spell that immobilizes and makes the target susceptible to magic damage, but immune to physical and gives regen++++++ for a few turns.

A high damage nuke that also gives the target heavy regen.

A necro-charm that gives you heavy lifesteal and maybe damage against living things, but anything damaged during the buff will rise as a hostile undead when they die.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Change Orb of Zot to Red Bike

Change dungeon to basement of the Alamo

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Whips that can reach out and drag enemies up to the player

Maces sometimes causing knock back or loving shattering armor.

Slashing attacks that hit multiple tiles at once

'dazed' effect from certain weapons, like a very short paralysis effect.

Charge attack where you bulldoze into enemies from a couple spaces away

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Add a real money auction-house.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Just lost a very promising VSBE in Wucad Mu's monastery (draconian monk shadow things are rly loving scary apparently). The Monastery is a very unique area and I regret not reading the wiki page on it first. Wiz labs are some of the coolest areas in the game and I wish I was guaranteed to see one every time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I demand the ability to cast Animate Skeleton on myself.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Decrepus posted:

Add a real money auction-house.

Yeah, link this bitch up to steam marketplace, I want to buy a fedora and a duster for my adventurers.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

I need something to do while waiting for more dev review on Cyno (or whatever new name it is going to be: likely Gnoll from the looks of it). Since Charms is kind of empty after all the cuts and buff spells sound like a good place to mix up combat between Tab and Blaster Mage, it sounds like a good spot for some new content.

Post your ideas for new Charms spells: both simple ideas or complex breakdowns welcome. For simple ideas, suggest something that either not all players want or that players do not want on all the time.

Double Shot - L7 Charms
While active, ranged weapons fire twice per attack (Percent chance scales with spellpower?) but all ammo is mulched. Also prevents you from unwielding until effect ends?

Venomous Grip - L4 Charms/Poison
Applies poison with effect scaling to spellpower on successful unarmed combat attack to both the target and player. Not resistable for player?

Royal Sheen L6 Charms/Poison
Applies corrosion to enemies when they successfully​ hit the player (similar to jellies). While active, the player gets *corrode.

Pakellas' Prism - L6 Charms
While active, expends 3 wand charges per evoke. Wands perform upgraded action with effect based on spellpower and evocations. For instance flame->bolt of fire or confusion->mass confusion or bolt of acid->acid cloud.

Pearly Vestment - L8 Charms
Releases holy clouds randomly in a 2 tile radius when an attack is dodged, blocked or reduced to 0 damage. rHellfire?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Gods should have themed challenge dungeons available at Max piety for sweet rewards

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
How about being able to use wands of flame to set flammable items on the floor of fire.? Use all those surplus scrolls of id by dropping them on the floor in front of badguys and them making a wall of fire!

Same note: what about dropable explosives?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Okawaru gift is now an ability at max piety, costs ** to use. Creates a temporary 3x3 arena around you that no other hostile may enter and spawns a hostile divine champion with an acquirement weapon and armor two spaces away. Okawaru disallows Heroism/Finesse during this duel. If you win, you get loot. If you die, you die. If you teleport/dig out, you get put into penance.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Fire wands creating clouds of steam on water and lightning wands causing a loud enough sound to break the player out of a trance are both very "nethacky" and should be removed asap. Also, at the same time, make avatars and sirens twice as likely to use their songs

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The second effect (lightning, and noise in general, breaking mesmerisation) is already gone.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Superterranean posted:

Come this way, down this alley, to the dark side, we call it Sil...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Floodkiller posted:

Post your ideas for new Charms spells: both simple ideas or complex breakdowns welcome. For simple ideas, suggest something that either not all players want or that players do not want on all the time. If you want to do a complex breakdown, follow the previous sentence as well as:
-Effect should scale with spellpower, not designed as a bare minimum XP requirement
-Effect should have a downside to prevent being used all the time. Being a high enough spell level for the effect counts as a downside, a la Deflect Missiles.

I'll be working on ripping off random MOBA buffs (current idea is a reactive armor charm that stuns attackers) until someone suggests something cool enough.

Try Sil if you haven't already.

Crab Form

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Floodkiller posted:

Damage amplification - You both give and receive more damage, a la lovely amulet. Both the effect and the duration increase with spellpower. Low level spell.
Alacrity - Your next non-movement action takes 0 aut. Examples including casting passwall, attacking with the dark maul, Formicid shafting, and swapping heavy armours midcombat. It creates a buff that rapidly expires, but scales generously with spellpower, allowing for leeway ("I don't know if I want to shaft myself yet, but I might in 7 turns time"). Mid level spell to make the mana cost onerous.
Touch mind - The forbidden divinations school returns! High level spell, reveals all monsters in a large, spellpower-dependant AoE around you, but they are alerted to your presence also. Instant effect only.

That took about 5 minutes to think of and write.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darth Windu posted:

Infuse does that with only a single mana per hit adn its not op
Just the knockback would also be cool, maybe a little extra damage if they hit a wall, doesn't force lance do that too?
Infusion does not do that. It adds 2+(spellpower/25) damage with a spellpower cap of 25, so 1d3 extra damage at most(which is reduced by AC separately from the rest of your attack). It becomes completely useless as soon as anything with AC starts showing up, and is only good for not keeling over and dying to hobgoblins and early adders.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

taqueso posted:

Yeah, link this bitch up to steam marketplace, I want to buy a fedora and a duster for my adventurers.

Going upstairs for Hot Pockets isn't actually an adventure.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IronicDongz posted:

Infusion does not do that. It adds 2+(spellpower/25) damage with a spellpower cap of 25, so 1d3 extra damage at most(which is reduced by AC separately from the rest of your attack). It becomes completely useless as soon as anything with AC starts showing up, and is only good for not keeling over and dying to hobgoblins and early adders.

Use a similar formula for a big brother infusion then

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Darth Windu posted:

Use a similar formula for a big brother infusion then

Or rather, don't. Every time another 1d(foo) gets added to crawl code base, a pixie dies

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Serephina posted:

Or rather, don't. Every time another 1d(foo) gets added to crawl code base, a pixie dies

D-d-d-die rolls!!! In my roguelike?!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I demand the ability to cast Animate Skeleton on myself.

The true reason Felid is OP

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Monkey posted:

D-d-d-die rolls!!! In my roguelike?!

Specifically 1d() die rolls, since they have huge variance for no good reason, and crawl code is rife with nested 1d() rolls, which is the most convoluted way possible to create weighted distribution. It's actually really easy to have Rng that's transparent, but crawl is well down the rabbit hole. I pour out a liter of Malt every thing I think of those poor devs who dived, yet never came back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Specifically 1d() die rolls, since they have huge variance for no good reason, and crawl code is rife with nested 1d() rolls, which is the most convoluted way possible to create weighted distribution. It's actually really easy to have Rng that's transparent, but crawl is well down the rabbit hole. I pour out a liter of Malt every thing I think of those poor devs who dived, yet never came back up.

While on one of my deep dives into Mantis, I found an interesting note in the margin of a bug report by a dev who claimed to have come to an understanding of spell failure. His only response to my inquiry was a skype username, voice only. A transcript of our conversation follows:
"Hello"
"Hi, I'm here to talk spell failure?"
"I have nurgle..no comment on that. "
"Then why did you send your Skype name"
"To tell you to stop looking. There are surgle things man was not meant to nurgle."
"Are you okay?"
"I'm fine. Furgle. No comment. Nurgle."
"Is this a joke? Is there something you're not telling me?"
"No comment. Gurgle."
"Has solving spell failure opened your brain to other planes of being and left you helpless prey to a host of Lovecraftian entities?"
"No commurgle. Nurgleurglegurlge. Will you be checking any bags today?"

At that point my eyes misted and the screen took on a 3D feel, almost as though I was looking down into the Skype window. I ended the call.

seriously, it's that bad

• Locked thread