Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

NumberLast posted:

Well, gently caress

Luckily we only need to fix a few of them to turn things around and thats definitely one of the must haves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Nice.

Heh.

:smith:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/798281831359463424

Is this guy good y/n

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

it's either incredibly sad or amazingly uplifting that the left is going to regain control of the democratic party with only very minor resistance. If you went back in time and told yourself that progressives would take control of the DNC with the support of chuck schumer would you believe yourself.

"That kind of factional unity only comes on the back of a major catastrophe, like 9/11 or... wait... no, it can't be... let me see that paper!" *wrestles newspaper from future self and reads headline* "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i was all hyped and fired to go, ready to use my 2008 organizing chops to fight for the dnc chair, but all of the opponents have no one who will come out and support them lol

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Venom Snake posted:

it's either incredibly sad or amazingly uplifting that the left is going to regain control of the democratic party with only very minor resistance. If you went back in time and told yourself that progressives would take control of the DNC with the support of chuck schumer would you believe yourself.

I will only be sad if we don't overcome our illiberal opposition to anyone who disagrees with us. (WE being the left. I've never been a democrat.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

Something crazy would have to happen before I believed that, like Hillary losing to Trump or something....

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

loquacius posted:

"That kind of factional unity only comes on the back of a major catastrophe, like 9/11 or... wait... no, it can't be... let me see that paper!" *wrestles newspaper from future self and reads headline* "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

The reaction to "Donald Trump Elected President" is very different, depending on what past year you find out.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Zikan posted:

i was all hyped and fired to go, ready to use my 2008 organizing chops to fight for the dnc chair, but all of the opponents have no one who will come out and support them lol

still worth pushing as hard as possible so the message is as loud as possible

also I'm going to a college dems meeting this evening somehow I never went to one when I was a student

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah i mean its nice but have they seen the light, is this not actually as good as it seems, or are they really this spineless?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Enormous pressure on him right now. The entire party is watching.

Zikan posted:

Your making history friend.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

it's a result of lousianna dumbass jungle election system. it's an extreme longshot that he wins unless the anger over a trump presidency can cause a good campaign and a ton of money to come in and pull a 20 point upset

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah i mean its nice but have they seen the light, is this not actually as good as it seems, or are they really this spineless?

I suspect a lot of centrists are actually sympathetic with more left positions. They only take up that position because they felt that those harder-left positions were unelectable or electoral poison. I mean, it's in the name. Incrementalism. So now that it turns out centrism isn't more electable, well then.

And the rest of them are probably either:
1. Spineless;
2. Rich people who realize that the New Deal was called that because the rich made the deal of giving money and support to the poor so they wouldn't get lynched by the poor (the same reason Bismarck supported social security and welfare!)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Venom Snake posted:

Enormous pressure on him right now. The entire party is watching.

Your making history friend.

what is this, msnbc?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

NumberLast posted:

It's not about purity it's about having a comprehensive and consistent platform that you stick to. :v:

Though like not doing anything remotely close to corruption would be nice.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Zikan posted:

keith ellison update: civil war looks more like a palace coup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnP6OM5NBH0

a mostly-bloodless palace coup with the populists as the winners is best for everyone at this point imo

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lastgirl posted:

what is this, msnbc?

Chris Hays will be interviewing Keith on MSNBC yeah

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

MrCussMustard posted:

I will only be sad if we don't overcome our illiberal opposition to anyone who disagrees with us. (WE being the left. I've never been a democrat.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnEAH5wCzo

got yer rural outreach right here, city boys :bahgawd:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

platzapS posted:

Tim Faust, who made the "Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer" t-shirt and promotes the arts, says:

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/796972512269705216

"I've been very upset about this for the past few days—though I'm often very upset—specifically with the revelation that Dem efforts often 'activated Trump voters.

• We are seeing the most savage consequence of data-determinism in campaigns; the turgid insistence that, because a voter's expected vote can be generally predicted by demographic or historical data, persuasion must exclusively be microtargeted

• The outsourcing of critical thought to a third-party Model (itself built by former party officials, purchased by a campaign by their friends), with nobody adequately incentivized to poke, test, or destroy it.

• increasing belief that, because of the success of OFA's efficient organizing structure, campaigns can be Taylorized—which results in little to no low-level data which might question the Model flowing upstream. Activating a bunch of Trump voters in North Carolina is dismissed as a 'fluke'—and there's nobody with the permission, space, or data to figure out when those 'flukes', in aggregate, indicate a hidden confounding variable.

• Criminally negligent software. The private sector would never tolerate models with the long-ranging inaccuracies as the Civis b2b product—I know, because I've seen that process happen three or four times. Nor would anyone—not even those Facebook spam sites that try to sell you shirts with your last name on them—ever tolerate for a minute NGPVAN's garbageware."

You know this article is hilariously wrong because it implies that data comes from NGPVAN.

Edit: I can't actually think of a better overreaction than making GBS threads all over data as a way of explaining the election. Data isn't perfect, but a lot of failures can be explained by poor application f data rather than data inaccuracies. Moreover, data is getting more accurate all the time as models get new information. We can't throw out one of our best advantages as a party.

Democrazy has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Nov 14, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well What Now posted:

a mostly-bloodless palace coup with the populists as the winners is best for everyone at this point imo

Assuming it isn't followed by 4 years of bitter Clintonites claiming Keith is an illegitimate pretender to the throne.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

MJ12 posted:

2. Rich people who realize that the New Deal was called that because the rich made the deal of giving money and support to the poor so they wouldn't get lynched by the poor (the same reason Bismarck supported social security and welfare!)

Theil will have his tea with the Czar in hell

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MJ12 posted:

I suspect a lot of centrists are actually sympathetic with more left positions. They only take up that position because they felt that those harder-left positions were unelectable or electoral poison. I mean, it's in the name. Incrementalism. So now that it turns out centrism isn't more electable, well then.
People don't join the Democrats to line their pockets and suppress people when there is a perfectly good fygm party right there. Democrats all have the same goal they are working towards, there was just a disagreement on how to achieve that. Why would you expect a long drawn out and ultimately self serving fight if the self is not what these people want to serve?

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Freemason Rush Week posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnEAH5wCzo

got yer rural outreach right here, city boys :bahgawd:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/11/14/trump-liberal-college-campuses-michigan-yale-glenn-reynolds-column/93765568/

Might I suggest N Korea if you want to hold a monopoly on democracy?

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
:laffo:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/798293779232919552

Note: Sanders is criticizing the out going President and is going to have control over said presidents party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAIoAjiDVf0

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/willystaley/status/798293058718613504

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

People don't join the Democrats to line their pockets and suppress people when there is a perfectly good fygm party right there. Democrats all have the same goal they are working towards, there was just a disagreement on how to achieve that. Why would you expect a long drawn out and ultimately self serving fight if the self is not what these people want to serve?

oh god please Fulchrum do not bring this poo poo here

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

oh god please Fulchrum do not bring this poo poo here

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Fulchrum posted:

People don't join the Democrats to line their pockets and suppress people when there is a perfectly good fygm party right there.

I don't believe you on that one

quote:

At the Goldman Sachs Builders and Innovators Summit, Clinton responded to a question from chief executive Lloyd Blankfein, who quipped that you “go to Washington” to “make a small fortune.” Clinton agreed with the comment and complained about ethics rules that require officials. to divest from certain assets before entering government. “There is such a bias against people who have led successful and/or complicated lives,” Clinton said.

At a speech for Morgan Stanley on April 18, 2013, Clinton praised the Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction plan — which would reduce corporate tax rates while raising the Social Security age

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

Assuming it isn't followed by 4 years of bitter Clintonites claiming Keith is an illegitimate pretender to the throne.

If he can deliver in 2018 and turn the tide back against the Republicans absolutely no-one in the party is going to say poo poo to or about the guy.

If.

Getting him in is all well and good, but he still must prove himself.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

just poo poo posting

False alarm, guys.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fulchrum posted:

If he can deliver in 2018 and turn the tide back against the Republicans absolutely no-one in the party is going to say poo poo to or about the guy.

If.

Getting him in is all well and good, but he still must prove himself.

God how can you be so awful in one post then actually make a coherent point the very next one. Even though I am currently plunging a knife into my chest in shame I do agree there will be a lot of pressure to preform.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

that dastardly dunham is at it again!!!! We here at hbo are excited to see what she will do next to confound, conflict and confuzzle those progressive millenial boys!!!!

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/798293779232919552

Note: Sanders is criticizing the out going President and is going to have control over said presidents party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAIoAjiDVf0

It should embolden the rest of us that you've regained your faith in the past week.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

LinYutang posted:

lol at the democrats thinking that Minority Group would save their hide just because

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/798285238644469761

This is why Dems who are betting Texas will become blue soon are kidding themselves. Most Mexicans in the state identify as Conservative. Significantly more than any other state in the country.

temple posted:

That was my point to a degree in response to the tweets about dems being a failed group or consultancy. Dems actually have to lead and legislate, so its harder than what reps have to do. Republicans just have to destroy, obstruct, or stall. They don't have to come up with solutions. They don't represent anything which is why an orange con-man could take over their party in one election. Dems often fail or get bought out but that's due for the course of living in a capitalistic world. The country actually supports most of the progressive stuff, has historically supported those policies, created a working democracy for most people, and dems have to figure out how to make it better. Its dumb to bash the dems as an whole (Clintons excluded because they are hack frauds) or praise republicans because the two parties serve fundamentally different roles in our politics.

None of this excuses the Dems complete lack of effort for catching the legislation branch for almost a decade, lacking a coherent vision, and idiotic "demographics is destiny" type strategies . They brought this on themselves and should be blamed as much as possible. This cataclysmic gently caress up has been decades in the making.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Nov 14, 2016

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

Even though I am currently plunging a knife into my chest in shame

One must imagine Sisyphus happy. :unsmith:

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

None of this excuses the Dems complete lack of effort for catching the legislation branch for almost a decade, lacking a coherent vision, and idiotic "demographics is destiny" type strategies . They brought this on themselves and should be blamed as much as possible. This cataclysmic gently caress up has been decades in the making.

He says Clintons excluded. You say decades in the making. I see common ground.

E: To be fair, I mean more so any dem who thought the presidency came with a throne and scepter. I don't know how much any one person should be blamed for the "coronation" philosophy that poisoned this cycle.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Nov 15, 2016

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Zikan posted:

it's a result of lousianna dumbass jungle election system. it's an extreme longshot that he wins unless the anger over a trump presidency can cause a good campaign and a ton of money to come in and pull a 20 point upset

The jungle system is a drat sight better than FPTP

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Venom Snake posted:

My god man. We've found the original monkey paw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Where should I direct friends who would like to join their local parties but have never been involved in politics before?

• Locked thread