Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

when bart cut the head of jebediah springfield i had to have a talk with my parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hope everyone in the cord is doing well!

We wish you the best!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

A satirical cartoon written for adults mind you.

I remember the cartoon bit of things being really important. Like people didn't really get the Flintstones.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

What's funny is, I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but when the show came out it was roundly attacked by like everyone in the media for being dumb schlock that was anti-family and set a bad example for kids.

A satirical cartoon written for adults mind you.

Oh I remember. That and Murphy Brown attacking the institution of marriage.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember realizing how far the show had fallen when I rewatched a season one episode a few weeks ago

Marge does a line where she is like "Always smile Lisa even if you are unhappy so you can be normal and popular and get invited to parties" and it was such a biting joke, a great deconstruction of Marge as a character, and edgy as hell. They haven't done anything that biting in a decade at least.
Then there's character development on the very same topic when Marge finds a designer dress and is invited to the fancy country club.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
George HW Bush straight up said during his presidency that we needed more families like The Waltons and less like The Simpsons.

That and Dan Quayle decided to pick a fight with a fictional character. The 80s were a weird time. But at least our institutions were smart enough then to realize Jeff Sessions was too racist to hold any sort of meaningful power.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 18, 2017

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Marge is the best character in the Simpsons.

She keeps the family together and deals with all the poo poo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The scene that stuck with me during the rewatch was when Bart fails the history test and genuinely breaks down crying because he really tried, and yet still failed. Mrs Krabappel then sympathizes with him and gives him an extra point to pass.

Like, it was such a real, powerful scene that showed sides we had never seen before of two characters and had them connect in a special way.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The reaction to Lena Dunham is basically identical to the reaction to Rosie O'Donnell in the late 90's / early 2000's or Roseanne Barr in the 80's / early 90's.

They're the easiest punching bag for conservative media to go after because they're just the easiest red meat to sad white dudes.

----

A lot of the moral panic stuff about the Simpsons was spillover from the rest of Fox. Fox in its infancy decided to go with smutty to build an audience, and Married With Children basically brought it a ton of moral outrage that spilled over onto stuff like the Simpsons corrupting your children.

seiferguy posted:

But at least our institutions were smart enough then to realize Jeff Sessions was too racist to hold any sort of meaningful power.

Now Scalia on the other hand, there's a supreme court justice.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
"Antonin Scalia retire bitch" is the greatest thing Danny DeVito ever said

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
to be fair the simpsons literally had the father physically abusing the son on the reg so lets not act like there were no valid critiques

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The best Marge joke is from the one where they move to the new town under witness protection and Homer's working for the Bond villain guy, Scorpio. They're in a smart house that takes care of all the chores so Marge starts drinking wine and the camera zooms in and makes a big "Dun dun DUN" sting like she's going to develop a drinking problem.

Then later in the episode she's complaining about it to Homer and says "I'm so bored I've taken to drinking a glass of wine a day! I know doctors say you should have one and a half but I can't drink that much!"

E: VVV They killed off Maude, you loving drunk.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 18, 2017

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol when they killed Ned Flanders off.

The most humble, nice guy on the show.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

WampaLord posted:

The best Marge joke is from the one where they move to the new town under witness protection and Homer's working for the Bond villain guy, Scorpio. They're in a smart house that takes care of all the chores so Marge starts drinking wine and the camera zooms in and makes a big "Dun dun DUN" sting like she's going to develop a drinking problem.

The witness protection episode was when Sideshow Bob tries to kill Bart, aka the best Sideshow Bob episode. Homer just got offered a ton of money to work for Mr. Scorpio.

Edit: there's a theory that every Simpsons character is much smarter than they appear (except Lisa, who accepts that she's a genius), but choose to be / appear dumb because being smartness leads to unhappiness. Homer does this by shoving a crayon up his brain, Marge does this by not partaking in her creative hobbies, and Bart does this by acting out in school (despite being incredibly clever). Lisa on the other hand, is depressed all the time. Them wanting to move back to Springfield shows they'd rather live with idiots and be happy than be in a great town and be miserable.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 18, 2017

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Then later in the episode she's complaining about it to Homer and says "I'm so bored I've taken to drinking a glass of wine a day! I know doctors say you should have one and a half but I can't drink that much!"
You Only Move Twice is my favorite Simpsons episode.

Nov 6, 2002

A Man and his dog posted:

Lol when they killed Ned Flanders off.

The most humble, nice guy on the show.

They killed off his wife because the voice actor wanted more money.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The Scorpio episode also had the best ending to any Simpsons episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOY4u8hL_E

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

seiferguy posted:

The witness protection episode was when Sideshow Bob tries to kill Bart, aka the best Sideshow Bob episode. Homer just got offered a ton of money to work for Mr. Scorpio.

Oh yea, I mixed up the two a bit there cause I'm high af.

That one's really good too.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

You Only Move Twice is my favorite Simpsons episode.

I actually knew the title but described it that way just to be more clear.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Spoeank posted:

to be fair the simpsons literally had the father physically abusing the son on the reg so lets not act like there were no valid critiques

Well, the father is Angry Dad so it kinda comes with the territory...

The Simpsons owned. I haven't watched it in years because I just can't bring myself to, there is no way it could be as good as I remember it. My wife's parents wouldn't allow them to watch it growing up, so naturally as soon as we started dating I forced her to watch it, she fell in love, and we watched the 5:00 and 10:00 episodes every night for years and still reference the one liners to this day. We were at the pool on Sunday and my son wanted to race my wife and she said "I can't run, I'm wearin' flip flops" and it just filled my heart with feels.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Oh sure, but the answer to that was always turn on loving PBS you prude.

Soap operas were also just a giant pile of sex, violence and abuse, but they were aimed at bored housewives and retirees. Hell, cartoons aimed at kids at that point were all either toy ads or bugs bunny in blackface singing Mammy.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
poo poo that's right it was Ned's wife.

Whoops!

90s Simpson with my dad was the best.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

Soap operas were also just a giant pile of sex, violence and abuse, but they were aimed at bored housewives and retirees. Hell, cartoons aimed at kids at that point were all either toy ads or bugs bunny in blackface singing Mammy.

I was babysitting a couple weeks ago and they had Looney Toons on DVD. We watched a few of the classics, but man there was some really really racist poo poo in there. Apparently Warner Brothers said they weren't going to edit anything, that we need to recognize the history and its a good framing device to teach children lessons about stereotypes and racism.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I've been watching a lot of PG 80's movies with my kids and its amazing what they were able to get away with then. So much swearing and skin.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

They killed off his wife because the voice actor wanted more money.

I heard it was a mixture of that and the fact that the writers didn't want two of the same exact characters on the show. Gossipy church lady was already taken by Helen Lovejoy, so they figured they'd give Ned Flanders some real issues to deal with by killing his wife. The voice actress came back to work the show in later seasons too.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

swickles posted:

The Scorpio episode also had the best ending to any Simpsons episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOY4u8hL_E
"Awwwwww the Denver Broncos?!!?"

Nov 6, 2002

I don't think gossipy church wife was Maud's defining character trait. She was the neighbor's physically attractive, prudish wife that Homer lusted after. I mean she barely had a personality at all and existed mostly as a sounding board for Ned to demonstrate just how religious and dorky he was.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Best Simpsons episodes:

You Only Move Twice
Cape Feare
Monorail
Homer at the Bat
Last Exit to Springfield

I've been watching a lot of PG 80's movies with my kids and its amazing what they were able to get away with then. So much swearing and skin.

My dad made me watch Temple of Doom with him when I was like 5.

gently caress you dad. The others were good and all kids should watch them because you gotta drill good life lessons into kids like murder every nazi you can find.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't think gossipy church wife was Maud's defining character trait. She was the neighbor's physically attractive, prudish wife that Homer lusted after. I mean she barely had a personality at all.

Yea she was more moralizing church wife, she probably would view gossip as a sin. She's there to be the perfect wife foil for Marge to compare herself to, as well. While Bart and Lisa are constantly fighting, the Flanders live in total peace.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

WampaLord posted:

Yea she was more moralizing church wife, she probably would view gossip as a sin. She's there to be the perfect wife foil for Marge to compare herself to, as well. While Bart and Lisa are constantly fighting, the Flanders live in total peace.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand queue the song "I have joy joy joy joy down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart! Where?" in Rod and Todd voices. Also I love that they were named Rod and Todd.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kalli posted:

Best Simpsons episodes:

You Only Move Twice
Cape Feare
Monorail
Homer at the Bat
Last Exit to Springfield

My dad made me watch Temple of Doom with him when I was like 5.

gently caress you dad. The others were good and all kids should watch them because you gotta drill good life lessons into kids like murder every nazi you can find.

That movie was crazy as a kid.

Is that the one where the dude rips the guys heart out and eats it?

As a kid you were like " Holy poo poo!"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

A Man and his dog posted:

Is that the one where the dude rips the guys heart out and eats it?
Mola Ram holds his still-beating heart as they lower him into the fire. The heart ends up on fire as well.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

PG 13 was introduced in 84 for this very reason.

... This, is God.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As a little kid I refused to watch Indiana Jones because the only scene I saw was the Ark opening scene

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Related

It was up last night but someone fixed it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

No Irish Need Imply posted:

PG 13 was introduced in 84 for this very reason.

... This, is God.

As I recall, wasn't gremlins the movie that finally pushed them over the ede

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
It was Gremlins but mostly Temple of Doom. Spielberg pushed his luck.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BTW, I unironically consider gremlins 2 one of the best movies ever. I once got trashed at a party and went on like an hour monologue about it.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For some reason this has me thinking of "The Breakfast Club" when homeboy smokes pot and goes loving insane.

Like doing flips and going nuts in the library. The gently caress was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, I unironically consider gremlins 2 one of the best movies ever. I once got trashed at a party and went on like an hour monologue about it.
Explain.

• Locked thread