Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I guess. Also there's some quest in the questbook that gives a ridiculously beefy node so technically you don't have to jar one. Unless that's locked behind something you need a jarred node for? I dunno.

Yeah, after you beat the T7 planet dungeon you can get a free 1000 Instrumentum node. Because of this, I will generally limp along with primal shrooms until then. You never need to tap a node to refill your wand in GTNH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does it tell you that in advance? Like is there a bit in some quest that points out you can power through and get a free node later, or choose to set up the infrastructure to make one in the meantime?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

midnight77 posted:

i wish more modpacks would take a page out of GTNH book and have a decent questbook.

Heh, I got tired of playing through packs where the progression is 'get a quest to make a thing, make it, turn in the quest, get a quest to make the next thing along', which informed how I did quests in my pack.

That said I have toyed with the idea of making two different quest chapters: one for the 'I can figure it out myself' type and one for the 'I'd like to be guided please' type. That might be an interesting project.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Does it tell you that in advance? Like is there a bit in some quest that points out you can power through and get a free node later, or choose to set up the infrastructure to make one in the meantime?

No, it does not. I only know this because I've progressed to that point. The quest is even hidden, so you can't see it via any means until you hit the prereqs.

To be honest, it's kind of a min-maxing grognard decision. Most folks won't make it to UV tier when you can actually complete the quest; dangling that in front of them might be counterproductive.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

UV takes such an absurdly long time to get to for a new player that it's really not even worth discussing. Vib, your one single bugbear is not at all a thing a new player should worry about, either. for reference that's after the "final goal" threefold set out for his current playthrough, and he's only on t3 planets. you don't need TC or TF at all to get your first EBF, or to build your first rocket, both good challenging achievable goals for a new player. I'm in early LuV and have hardly touched magic mods, and then only for fun, really. and a couple qol things like boots of the traveler, moss balls, and a translocation focus. i have some primal shrooms and that's it. serves me just fine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You don't need to open the Twilight Forest for that stuff, but you should. However, no TF setpiece progression is required; for the main tech progression, it's only used as a mining dimension for silver, nickel, and gems.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

tinkers tables set up, and a little test cactus farm that doesnt seem to ever grow for some reason

my abode

added a bit more farm

quest progress!

edit: i raided my nearby village and stole all their tinkers patterns, am i a bad person

edit: gently caress yeah first tinkers tools done

god the efficiency jump being able to just repair a tool with a single flint, mygod

queeb fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 2, 2024

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

While the TF is not required, per se, I found it nice to be able to just take a break from machine stuff and go exploring. I was also unlocking a fair bit of TC4 stuff just to do so, so I did have to go for harder bosses eventually

queeb posted:

tinkers tables set up, and a little test cactus farm that doesnt seem to ever grow for some reason

Nice little setup you have here. I dunno why the cacti aren't growing but just letting you know they don't need water flowing besides them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

FPzero posted:

While the TF is not required, per se, I found it nice to be able to just take a break from machine stuff and go exploring. I was also unlocking a fair bit of TC4 stuff just to do so, so I did have to go for harder bosses eventually

Nice little setup you have here. I dunno why the cacti aren't growing but just letting you know they don't need water flowing besides them.

yeah that was just to collect the stuff popping off, was going to try the string and block of sand automation thing

edit: also yay got this guy going

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

queeb posted:

yeah that was just to collect the stuff popping off, was going to try the string and block of sand automation thing

In that case, I wonder if the cacti blocks were deleting themselves as they pop off, since they can destroy themselves when packed together tightly. I don't recall ever needing that much cacti as I progressed, so you could probably get away with handling them manually and still get about the same if not more cacti than if this string method is accidentally voiding the drops.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

FPzero posted:

In that case, I wonder if the cacti blocks were deleting themselves as they pop off, since they can destroy themselves when packed together tightly. I don't recall ever needing that much cacti as I progressed, so you could probably get away with handling them manually and still get about the same if not more cacti than if this string method is accidentally voiding the drops.

oh yeah that is definitely what happened, i broke them all and only got 2 cactus out of it, the others must have been destroyed lol, i'll space them out more.

i saw that you can replace 8 cactus with 1 water in some recipes but its actually not hard at all to get water where i am so i probably dont need it at all

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

oh yeah that is definitely what happened, i broke them all and only got 2 cactus out of it, the others must have been destroyed lol, i'll space them out more.

i saw that you can replace 8 cactus with 1 water in some recipes but its actually not hard at all to get water where i am so i probably dont need it at all

yeah, cactus for water is a tactic of last resort for people who spawn in a desert and won't move for some reason, if you've got a medium-sized body of water nearby you can just not bother with cactus at all

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

AceClown posted:

I think if I was going to recommend an onboarding to mods pack it would probably be Stoneblock 3 tbh, it's got a solid quest book, it's short enough that makes the pack "winnable" and the quest book is pretty solid.

The hilarious loot tables from the quest rewards are also fun.

I really didn't like stoneblock's questbook. A large percentage of the quest tabs were "and here are an unordered list of things in this mod!"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is it normal to think "drat this coke oven is slow" and instantly start to build more

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

queeb posted:

is it normal to think "drat this coke oven is slow" and instantly start to build more

perfectly normal. i had 14 by the time i retired them. eventually you'll probably want to fully automate them which will require GT pump and conveyor covers. not something you have to worry about just yet, though.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hooplah posted:

perfectly normal. i had 14 by the time i retired them. eventually you'll probably want to fully automate them which will require GT pump and conveyor covers. not something you have to worry about just yet, though.

i feel like im gonna be able to watch a ton of shows while i grind away. current GTNH status: enjoying greatly

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Coke oven tips: coke ovens will accumulate lots of creosote oil, and eventually clog the oven so it can't work any more. Do not be shy about wasting or voiding it, you will have a ton. Creosote oil buckets smelt 32 items in a furnace, so they are excellent furnace fuel. If you want to empty the coke oven and delete the creosote oil, mine out the bottom center block. (Then place it back down to re-form the coke oven.)

Also, make a rainforest oak sapling. You can craft it. It makes a bonkers huge tree and drops more saplings. You only need to craft one.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Coke oven tips: coke ovens will accumulate lots of creosote oil, and eventually clog the oven so it can't work any more. Do not be shy about wasting or voiding it, you will have a ton. Creosote oil buckets smelt 32 items in a furnace, so they are excellent furnace fuel. If you want to empty the coke oven and delete the creosote oil, mine out the bottom center block. (Then place it back down to re-form the coke oven.)

Also, make a rainforest oak sapling. You can craft it. It makes a bonkers huge tree and drops more saplings. You only need to craft one.

is there a fast way to cut that down, im already raging at these loving cherry trees with logs stuck up in the leaves

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

queeb posted:

is there a fast way to cut that down, im already raging at these loving cherry trees with logs stuck up in the leaves

Unbreakable tinker lumber axe

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

queeb posted:

The classic: TiC lumber axe.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

queeb posted:

If you've made it into the nether, you can make a netherrack lumberaxe, use it repeatedly until it has 10 upgrade slots, and then add Reinforced X to it to make it indestructable.

Netherrack is useful because it levels quickly.

edit: beaten like ore in a macerator

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The lumber axe is gated behind steel and at a minimum a steam compressor/macerator, unfortunately, so for a Stone Age guy it's gonna be the hard way. If you don't want to deal with cutting down huge trees, just plant birch, they never grow tall no matter how you cluster their saplings.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Hooplah posted:

UV takes such an absurdly long time to get to for a new player that it's really not even worth discussing. Vib, your one single bugbear is not at all a thing a new player should worry about, either.
Sorry my obvious joke insulted your sacred cow modpack but just for the record I am also in the middle of and enjoying a GT:NH playthrough so I'm not actually trying to tear it down

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I got through my early wood needs planting 2x2 spruce, cutting a tight spiral stairway to the top and then grabbing the rest on my way down.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh, finding ores, is going to the centre of each ore chunk and digging a spiral down the best way? its working ok so far, found a copper and some other stuff, no tin or iron yet

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

oh, finding ores, is going to the centre of each ore chunk and digging a spiral down the best way? its working ok so far, found a copper and some other stuff, no tin or iron yet

Until you get the ore finding wand, yeah, that's how you do it. Once you find gold and redstone and get some hand tools, you can make the ore finder wand. Load it up with a sample and walk around, and it'll eventually make a horrible noise and populate your visual prospecting. Make sure to press F9 three times so you can get a blue wireframe drawn through the exact center of a 3x3 ore chunk.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry my obvious joke insulted your sacred cow modpack but just for the record I am also in the middle of and enjoying a GT:NH playthrough so I'm not actually trying to tear it down

apologies, updating GTNH_enjoyers.xlsx now

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I should get back to GTNH at some point. It'd probably be less frustrating than trying to close the distance between creative RF and creative vending in Nomifactory. :v: Trying to parallelize draconic fusion crafting makes me crave death.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kyrosiris posted:

I should get back to GTNH at some point. It'd probably be less frustrating than trying to close the distance between creative RF and creative vending in Nomifactory. :v: Trying to parallelize draconic fusion crafting makes me crave death.

name items so they don't stack :ssh:

(this is part of how you automate the assline in gtnh, which works surprisingly similarly)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

name items so they don't stack :ssh:

(this is part of how you automate the assline in gtnh, which works surprisingly similarly)

Oh, you mean so that you can do things in stack mode? I've just been making GBS threads out more rings of injectors and duplicating the pattern on another ME interface->AA interface->item laser relay setup.

It's just establishing a proper ring of injectors that is the worst.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arrath posted:

I got through my early wood needs planting 2x2 spruce, cutting a tight spiral stairway to the top and then grabbing the rest on my way down.
I did this for way too long. There's a good reason the lumber axe was one of my first goals in that tier.

queeb posted:

Honestly, the random dice roll of finding good ores is both time consuming and not very enjoyable, so maybe just cheat yourself in one of those digital prospectors and fill the map in. Endless nerdholes across the landscape don't add much to the experience, I find.

Hooplah posted:

apologies, updating GTNH_enjoyers.xlsx now
My point was that the joke was just a joke, and was not intending to actually denigrate this pack that's so clearly a labor of love, not that you should have known in advance that I play it

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hmm, so the quest book wants me to turn in ore blocks, but when i mine ore i only get the dusts, is there a way to get the actual blocks for the questbook?

edit: oh seems like its material dependent, mined some iron and thats giving me the blocks

queeb fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 3, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

queeb posted:

hmm, so the quest book wants me to turn in ore blocks, but when i mine ore i only get the dusts, is there a way to get the actual blocks for the questbook?

edit: oh seems like its material dependent, mined some iron and thats giving me the blocks

You may be thinking of small ores, which can spawn at basically any elevation and drop dusts when broken. Actual ore blocks primarily occur in a vein of like 6-10 thick at an elevation within the range quoted in NEI's Ore Vein Info tab, and drop blocks when mined.

You probably just need to go deeper.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 3, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Arrath posted:

You may be thinking of small ores, which can spawn at basically any elevation and drop dusts when broken. Actual ore blocks primarily occur in a vein of like 6-10 thick at an elevation within the range quoted in NEI's Ore Vein Info tab, and drop blocks when mined.

You probably just need to go deeper.

ok yeah that makes perfect sense, the small ancillery ores will drop dusts, but the main ores of that node will come as blocks

edit: drat ive found 3 diamond veins, no tin yet

queeb fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 3, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

last page or two makes me wish i hadn't lost my UHV GTNH game to a hard drive crash

queeb posted:

edit: drat ive found 3 diamond veins, no tin yet

Have you found any "garnettin" veins yet? Those have cassiterite sand, which despite the name is a tin-bearing ore, not a sand. Mica veins also have cassiterite ore (and if you have one, you lucky bastard, this one is a bitch to find.) Actual "tin" veins only spawn in mountainous terrain and are ludicrously rare.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

last page or two makes me wish i hadn't lost my UHV GTNH game to a hard drive crash

Have you found any "garnettin" veins yet? Those have cassiterite sand, which despite the name is a tin-bearing ore, not a sand. Mica veins also have cassiterite ore (and if you have one, you lucky bastard, this one is a bitch to find.) Actual "tin" veins only spawn in mountainous terrain and are ludicrously rare.

complaining works, just after i read this

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Kyrosiris posted:

I recently solved this problem with brute force and just created massive duplicate arrays under redstone control to passive everything. The first 40 draconic crafters were rough. After that, the sets spin up fast.

I just got T8s fully automated and… I think I’m seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. I’ve been at this run for a hair over 14 months now, off and on.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lordshmee posted:

I recently solved this problem with brute force and just created massive duplicate arrays under redstone control to passive everything. The first 40 draconic crafters were rough. After that, the sets spin up fast.

I just got T8s fully automated and… I think I’m seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. I’ve been at this run for a hair over 14 months now, off and on.

Yeah, that's what Threefold did in his playthrough too and the idea has me mimicking :negative: IRL.

It's funny that I've got nigh-infinite resources but the one thing I'm lacking is patience for fiddly bullshit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Cassiterite sand is actually really nice because for some reason it produces 2x tin products when smelted or processed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm away from the game for a year or two and I have to be reminded that spiders can climb walls if you don't build them right. During a blood moon.