Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone who doesn't shake down Sildar for more money when he tries to get you to do unpaid overtime is a sucker and a class enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone who doesn't shake down Sildar for more money when he tries to get you to do unpaid overtime is a sucker and a class enemy.

Also true

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Conspiratiorist posted:

PHB Ranger is bad except for Gloom Stalker. Revised Ranger Gloom Stalker is actually really good.

PHB Beastmaster is dogshit. RR Beast Conclave is less bad but still meh.

I strongly advice against playing BM, especially for new players. Having a combat pet is simply not a well-supported gameplay mechanic in this system.

Good, it shouldn't be. Combat pets are a horrible idea both in universe as well as due to action economy

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Good, it shouldn't be. Combat pets are a horrible idea both in universe as well as due to action economy

It’s almost like requiring the ranger to use their action to have only their pet attack until they got the Extra Attack feature was purpose-built for this situation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That said my CoS character activated the Shield Guardian and now he's my new best friend (after the rest of the party went evil power tripping on dark gifts).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Last night in my Out of the Abyss campaign I whiffed a pile of charisma saves after touching the angel offering something in the gallery of angels and almost killed my party before they were able to hit me enough for me to make my save. Then we found the Orderer and now my wizard has 24 int, so that was a hell of a session.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Elysiume posted:

Last night in my Out of the Abyss campaign I whiffed a pile of charisma saves after touching the angel offering something in the gallery of angels and almost killed my party before they were able to hit me enough for me to make my save. Then we found the Orderer and now my wizard has 24 int, so that was a hell of a session.

now just get a staff of power and a wand of the war mage, picking up warcaster along the way somewhere. never miss or have something without legendary resistance beat your DC again!

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Conspiratiorist posted:

PHB Ranger is bad except for Gloom Stalker. Revised Ranger Gloom Stalker is actually really good.

PHB Beastmaster is dogshit. RR Beast Conclave is less bad but still meh.

I strongly advice against playing BM, especially for new players. Having a combat pet is simply not a well-supported gameplay mechanic in this system.

Hm this player has not played before but from our character creation session it seems like she will be much more interested in the role playing aspects than combat strategy and mechanics, so I'm not really concerned if she is slightly underpowered. OTOH if RR is super overpowered that might be bad since some of my other players are definitely excited about wrecking poo poo with their spells and might be miffed if a new player joins and immediately outshines them (they are all first time players too, we have 5 sessions under our belt, currently level 4).

Is power level the main reason you suggest not having a new player play as a BM ranger? At this point I'm stuck with it because I'm not going to have her first D&D experience be rolling a character and then immediately be told to roll a different character, but wondering what other problems I could anticipate. The party is currently following up on some leads in town (that will probably include combat) so I was thinking when they meet up with her this session I could have her have left her Panther outside the town gates since, y'know, it's a panther. That way first session she can focus on her own character's actions.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Revised pet ranger isn't going to break anything unless you're trying to. A player who just wants an animal friend will be fine

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eggnogium posted:

Hm this player has not played before but from our character creation session it seems like she will be much more interested in the role playing aspects than combat strategy and mechanics, so I'm not really concerned if she is slightly underpowered. OTOH if RR is super overpowered that might be bad since some of my other players are definitely excited about wrecking poo poo with their spells and might be miffed if a new player joins and immediately outshines them (they are all first time players too, we have 5 sessions under our belt, currently level 4).

Is power level the main reason you suggest not having a new player play as a BM ranger? At this point I'm stuck with it because I'm not going to have her first D&D experience be rolling a character and then immediately be told to roll a different character, but wondering what other problems I could anticipate. The party is currently following up on some leads in town (that will probably include combat) so I was thinking when they meet up with her this session I could have her have left her Panther outside the town gates since, y'know, it's a panther. That way first session she can focus on her own character's actions.

Revised Ranger isn't overpowered, but it's frontloaded in a similar way Barbarian is, and competently (not even fully optimized) built can seem overpowered when playing at low levels with players not very familiar with the system.

RE power level, I posted not long after:

Conspiratiorist posted:

The problem isn't effectiveness, but that copying MM statblocks is strong in the lamest, most boring way possible, that also happens to be highly time-consuming unless both the player and DM have a great and agile handle on things.

And then comes Beast Master, who on top of the above mentioned problems commits the crimes of adding half a dozen fiddly mechanics to your pokemon and being weak despite the added effort.

The problem with BM is not just that it's underpowered, but that it's fiddly and time consuming, and also you have to take one more thing into consideration: pets are weak and they loving die. I'm not sure if you want to deal with your player's panther taking two hits and just loving dying the first time you go into combat, because that's very likely to happen and will only get worse as you level up and raise encounter difficulty.

Addendum: they can play a no fuzz Hunter Ranger and you can just give them an animal as an ally, no need to handle special archetype mechanics or anything, and they can gently caress off during combat so they don't die.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 14, 2018

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Mendrian posted:

Okay I warned you.

Theme is simple: Warlock made a pact with a blood demon. Some wording is still unclear and there are a couple of spots that are rough or could use duration. Let me know what yall think.

Gift of Blood
Starting at level 1, you gain immunity to poison damage and disease. Additionally, whenever you take damage, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

This seems fine, perhaps even thematic. Only question is do you have to take damage to your real hit points, or would taking damage to your temporary hit points trigger the gaining Cha modifier temp hp? For comparison the Immortal Mystic, from the Mystic UA v3, gets Int modifier temp hp at the start of each of their turns.

quote:

Armor of Blood
Starting at level 1, whenever you have temporary hit points, you gain a +2 magical bonus to your armor class. This bonus persists as long as you have temporary hit points.

Interesting, on the one hand a +2 bonus to AC is pretty good, on the other hand Warlock AC is generally kind of bad so they could use the help.

quote:

My Blood Speaks
Beginning at level 6, you may expend this feature after rolling damage to convert all damage to Poison or Necrotic damage. You may not use this feature again until you have taken a short or long rest.

Bad. Bad. Bad. In the hands of a Wizard being able to change the damage type of their spells frequently might be overpowered. But converting damage to Poison, or to a lesser degree Necrotic, is hardly gamebreaking. This should be available much more frequently, personally I would make it at will. If you really want to reign it in then have it require spending a bonus action before casting your spell.

quote:

Blood Grasp
Starting at level 6, whenever you inflict Poison or Necrotic damage you may force the target to make a Constitution saving throw against your Warlock spell save difficulty. On a failure the target is Poisoned for one hour. Targets that the caster has poisoned also suffer from Blood Grasp in addition to any other effects as long as they are Poisoned.

The warlock may see and hear through the body of anyone afflicted with Blood Grasp, though in doing so the caster must close their eyes and lose track of their own surroundings. At level 10, this effect persists for one day.

Now this might be a bit much for at will. If you are going to restrict anything to 1/Rest then it would be this. Although I am not sure that even it would really need that restriction.

quote:

Sanguine Recall
Starting at level 10, as long as you have temporary hit points, you may spend your reaction when you are damaged by a character within melee range to deal poison damage to that character equal to your warlock level.

In addition, your Blood Grasp feature now prevents the target from healing or lying to the caster.

Interesting, and thematic for what you seem to be going for.

quote:

Master of Blood
Starting at level 14, characters suffering from Blood Grasp have vulnerability to any damage you deal. Additionally, you may cast suggestion as a spell-like effect against any character suffering from Blood Grasp without knowing the spell or expending any spell slots.

Deliberately left out is the Warlock extended spell list; I'm still mulling it over.

And this could get out of hand if you did take my suggestions and removed restrictions on My Blood Speaks and Blood Grasp, though if My Blood Speaks is at will and Blood Grasp is limited to once a rest, maybe slightly more frequently at higher levels, it would still be reasonable.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Revised Ranger isn't overpowered, but it's frontloaded in a similar way Barbarian is, and competently (not even fully optimized) built can seem overpowered when playing at low levels with players not very familiar with the system.

RE power level, I posted not long after:

The problem with BM is not just that it's underpowered, but that it's fiddly and time consuming, and also you have to take one more thing into consideration: pets are weak and they loving die. I'm not sure if you want to deal with your player's panther taking two hits and just loving dying the first time you go into combat, because that's very likely to happen and will only get worse as you level up and raise encounter difficulty.

Addendum: they can play a no fuzz Hunter Ranger and you can just give them an animal as an ally, no need to handle special archetype mechanics or anything, and they can gently caress off during combat so they don't die.

Hm that makes sense, the HP values are pretty low for a melee combatant, even with the hit dice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mendrian posted:

Okay I warned you.

Theme is simple: Warlock made a pact with a blood demon. Some wording is still unclear and there are a couple of spots that are rough or could use duration. Let me know what yall think.

Deliberately left out is the Warlock extended spell list; I'm still mulling it over.

On Gift of Blood. I would just make it so that you take reduced damage equal to your Cha Mod. Because that is effectively what the ability does anyway.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Eggnogium posted:

She's new and probably won't care that much that she can't go crazy with the beast. Just make sure she knows that it's not a tank and is there to support her attacking, not BE the character she's playing. You wouldn't send your beloved dog into a fight just to bite some people and get kicked to death and you wouldn't send your animal companion into the middle of a melee without support.

Half the fun of RPGs is being someone different doing things you can't do. Even if your panther isn't great at fighting you're still prowling around with a panther and that's fun.

Mendrian posted:

That was the intent, yes. Too much?

I foresee thunderclapping or shattering a group of enemies and poisoning all of them, then ducking out and just blasting them with bonus damage and poisoned disadvantage while the rest of the party just wrecks. I suppose if Blood Speaks is limited to a rest then it won't be spammed constantly. I don't really know if that's OP. You might want to consider that instead of limiting to 1/rest or day Blood Grasp can only affect one creature at a time? Highly effective for the most dangerous of the group but you won't be casting a mass poison/dmg/no healing aoe spell as many times as you can. First thing that popped into my head but I could be totally off and it's not going to be op.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah it's loving insane how powerful "Poisoned" status is in 5th ed. Which is why you see a million things that deal poison damage, and hardly anything that inflicts poisoned status accessibly to the players.

Like, Ray of sickness causes poisoned until the end of your next turn. And then... I don't think any other spells let you inflict poisoned in the PHB at least? But you never know with supplements.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 14, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm gonna be in a one-shot that's probably an altered White Plume Mountain. I can make a level eight guy with any mundane gear and two non legendary magic items. I'm not looking for the strongest thing possible but what could I do that really makes things fun and interesting? Especially re the items?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm gonna be in a one-shot that's probably an altered White Plume Mountain. I can make a level eight guy with any mundane gear and two non legendary magic items. I'm not looking for the strongest thing possible but what could I do that really makes things fun and interesting? Especially re the items?

OK well you want a Paladin so you can pass the cancer saves, and because it gives you spellcasting which is FUN.
Let's add more FUN to that: take a Staff of Power, which gives you better AC and better anti-cancer saves and MORE SPELLS. Also you can add smites to your smites.

"But wait, how does a Paladin use a Staff of Power? That's an arcane caster item."

So you take a level in Warlock. Hexblade Warlock, to be precise. Now you have Shield, and can use your CHARISMA as your weapon attribute.

Go around rocking full plate, a shield, wacking things over the head with your magic stick.

Add Polearm Master and you get more attacks with your stick, add War Caster and you can cast while your hands are busy (required for Shield).

Other non-legendary item? Dunno Winged Boots are cool: fly everywhere. Or grab a Belt of Fire Giant Strength so you're rocking 25 STR.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Where do I start if I want to make an OP hexblade?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

The more the beast can be used for RP and fluff the happier they will be, that's why they chose BM in the first place. That's what I found with our BM who is also disappointed with the mechanics of the class. When combat starts get the beast the hell out of the way unless there is some awesome moment they can help in a unique way. (help action offer advantage for some killer blow can make for a cinematic moment kind of thing)

Mechanically I allowed our BM to choose a Hunter ability as well as the Beast just to help life not suck. Then I found this homebrew ranger which I liked and offered it to the BM. It offers choice and customisation (superior to UA & PHB) between playing a non casting scout / rogue type ranger or instead a spellcasting ranger, more like a druid. With a bunch of other variants besides. The main improvement I felt was the ability to choose spells each day allowed the ranger to actually use the more interesting spells for a BM. The balancing is pretty good I think.

Although, the XGE Gloom Stalker is still mechanically superior to the Deep Stalker on offer in this homebrew. Anyway, this may not be your thing so back to BM...

...Mainly the Beast is there as a cool roleplaying aspect of the class and needs a fair bit of DM investment to make work for the character. Mechanically it's terrible unless you can be creative enough. So it's reasonable to offer some mechanical compensation that doesn't overcompensate. Good luck :)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My players think taking prisoners is the cheat code to getting all the information they want. They've given me a very teachable moment that intelligence from torture is useless and they aren't Jack Bauer. I've had their last prisoner tell them the exact opposite of the truth, and that the password is "alu vith dosstan" (undercommon for "go gently caress yourself" - none of them speak that - who said languages were a bad mechanic?). When/if they try to use it on the skeletons, I'm going to describe how, somehow, this fleshless ghoul looks highly loving offended.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Novum posted:

Where do I start if I want to make an OP hexblade?

Two levels of Hexblade and the rest in Sorcerer (start Sorcerer then dip later, so you get CON save prof).

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Conspiratiorist posted:

Two levels of Hexblade and the rest in Sorcerer (start Sorcerer then dip later, so you get CON save prof).

Yup, divine soul gets you some awesome stuff by being able to twin cleric spells or shadow sorc gives good mobility and ways to get advantage. Be some kind of elf for super advantage from elven accuracy. There are some arguments for going warlock 3 for pact boons but they aren’t necessary. If you want to play an OP melee hexblade then you’re SOL because it’ll never be OP.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

A few of my friends are starting a DnD podcast and they're running a kickstarter for it. Is that something I could post to this thread, or would that be in poor taste?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A kickstarter seems like a weird choice instead of patreon but go ahead

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What's the historical batting average for "brand new podcast kickstarter"? I'm betting it's not great.

Is this a podcast they've already been doing for a while and they want to kick it up a notch? Or literally "We need to do a kickstarter to even get started doing this"?

Because podcasts are just like blogs used to be. Regular updates for three months, then increasingly infrequent as they realize no one gives a poo poo... then six months of nothing, followed by the "sorry I've been absent guys, but I'm going to start posting regularly again" post, then nothing till the heat death of the universe. I would never kickstart a podcast unless it was a good one that had been posting regularly for years.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 15, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kaysette posted:

Yup, divine soul gets you some awesome stuff by being able to twin cleric spells or shadow sorc gives good mobility and ways to get advantage. Be some kind of elf for super advantage from elven accuracy. There are some arguments for going warlock 3 for pact boons but they aren’t necessary. If you want to play an OP melee hexblade then you’re SOL because it’ll never be OP.

Dragon Sorc (fire) to 6, 1 level of Hexblade, attack with Green-Flame Blade for 2d8+CHA*2 plus splash 1d8+CHA, with medium armor + shield AC + Shield. First level in Sorcerer for Constitution save proficiency, Variant Human for War Caster (so you can cast Shield while Sword & Boarding). 10 14 16 8 8 16 attributes, ASIs go into maxing CHA.

It's a good gish, very fun. EB doesnt get absurd till CL 11 so you can put off the 2nd Hexblade level till Sorc 9, and use Fire Bolt+CHA as your standard ranged option.

If you want to go straight Hexblade there's ways to make it work, but it's not very strong.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I feel like a podcast can get away with using crappy headsets and paying the audio editor by buying them free drinks the next time you go out to a bar

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wrestlepig posted:

A kickstarter seems like a weird choice instead of patreon but go ahead

I know, right?
Anyway, I'm not responsible for any of this but a couple of the people that play in the game I run are playing also in this game so I thought i'd make a token effort to signal boost.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adreamofaztera/a-dream-of-aztera

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ignite Memories posted:

I know, right?
Anyway, I'm not responsible for any of this but a couple of the people that play in the game I run are playing also in this game so I thought i'd make a token effort to signal boost.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adreamofaztera/a-dream-of-aztera

Wait, this is tagged as Coolidge Corner in Brookline?!? I live there and play D&D at Knight Moves every week. Didn't realize y'all were so close.

That character art is pretty sweet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah several of the ppl involved work there and they record up in the offices

I myself am located in brighton somewhere. How's the knight moves dnd game?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 15, 2018

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Imagined posted:

What's the historical batting average for "brand new podcast kickstarter"? I'm betting it's not great.

Is this a podcast they've already been doing for a while and they want to kick it up a notch? Or literally "We need to do a kickstarter to even get started doing this"?

Because podcasts are just like blogs used to be. Regular updates for three months, then increasingly infrequent as they realize no one gives a poo poo... then six months of nothing, followed by the "sorry I've been absent guys, but I'm going to start posting regularly again" post, then nothing till the heat death of the universe. I would never kickstart a podcast unless it was a good one that had been posting regularly for years.

The only one I know of is the Comedy Button which has kept on going for over half a decade at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh we have a new survey.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4495590/ddsurvey?src=ddweb

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cripes am I doing a survey here or a personality test for a retail job

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
You can write in Warlord for your favorite class

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The best part is all the variations of "click here if you're that lone wolf dickhead who plays the same poo poo every time and kills npcs mid-conversation because you're bored."

Friend: "Oh god what if that gets a lot of representation and they start marketing D&D for Assholes."

"That's just Adventurer's League isn't it?"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"It's what my character would do."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So okay, I'm dead set on the hobgoblin who didn't realize "Modern Major General" was a joke.

The question is: How do I preserve the typical hobgoblin culture that's actually quite good at military things, while also putting on airs about being a pompous idiot, because that's what the hobgoblin believes the "civilized" races do?

Basically, I'm asking how to pretend to be incompetent when you're actually competent.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

edit: got it solved.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 15, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

inthesto posted:

So okay, I'm dead set on the hobgoblin who didn't realize "Modern Major General" was a joke.

The question is: How do I preserve the typical hobgoblin culture that's actually quite good at military things, while also putting on airs about being a pompous idiot, because that's what the hobgoblin believes the "civilized" races do?

Basically, I'm asking how to pretend to be incompetent when you're actually competent.

Zap Brannigan

Edit: or maybe Gaston from Beauty and the Beast.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

poorlifedecision posted:

She's new and probably won't care that much that she can't go crazy with the beast. Just make sure she knows that it's not a tank and is there to support her attacking, not BE the character she's playing. You wouldn't send your beloved dog into a fight just to bite some people and get kicked to death and you wouldn't send your animal companion into the middle of a melee without support.

Half the fun of RPGs is being someone different doing things you can't do. Even if your panther isn't great at fighting you're still prowling around with a panther and that's fun.
Survivability is considerably less of an issue with the revised BM. The pet gets an additional hit die per ranger level, they get an ASI every time you do, and they get to add proficiency to all saves, AC, and damage. The only real issue (excluding the whole two turns taking longer than one turn thing) is that the GM will need to provide some way for the pet to get magic damage at higher levels. I'd also suggest reworking the creatures' starting HP to match player rules (max one die, add half of the others) and if they have anything that calls for a save (like the panther's pounce) scale the difficulty with the standard 8 + prof + ability score formula.

Also if they die it just takes 8 hours and 25GP to resurrect them. You don't even need any bits of them.