Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Lockback posted:

I don't like take home coding tests, I don't like whiteboarding, but I don't always have the best alternatives. For newer engineers, my favorite is "Show me a project you have from school or your own personal project or whatever and let's walk through it", the prep time for most people should be quick and you understand a lot from people on where their skills are. But for more senior people they may not have a project like that they can show. So far that I am not sure what the best route is.

I've never interviewed someone, but for jobs I've interviewed for a more experienced engineer positions they just had me describe some projects I've worked on and what challenges came up. I'm sure a good enough bullshitter could get around it, but if the interviewer has experience in the field they should be able to tell if the person knows what they're talking about in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dxt posted:

I've never interviewed someone, but for jobs I've interviewed for a more experienced engineer positions they just had me describe some projects I've worked on and what challenges came up. I'm sure a good enough bullshitter could get around it, but if the interviewer has experience in the field they should be able to tell if the person knows what they're talking about in most cases.

That is basically what we do and I feel like it has somewhat mixed results, enough so that I can understand why people would want to do tests/takehome. Some people are bad at talking at the right level, you sometimes have to really dig to get to "You are describing someone elses work", etc.That said, it's probably the best solution if you can't pull up someone's git and walk through a senior-year website-radio project someone put together.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
In the interviews I've been in and done there are multiple components: one that would include technical questions, another will be soft skills and done by asking about past projects and conflicts, a design problem, and a code type interview.

While take homes have equity issues, so do remote interviews for the same reason and along with remote work itself requiring internet access, quiet space, etc as well. In person interviews in another area require a person to be able to leave their home for a couple days (which might require child care or pet care). And that's to say nothing about requiring someone to set aside multiple hours during the business day to interview.

Talking about your previous projects can also create equity issues over language barriers that could be reduced by text based interviews. They also can be BSed. There's a reason manager screening still let's through a lot of very underqualified people. Nevermind the gap between being able to talk about things in the abstract and actually being able to use those concepts to write good code.

In the end it's a balancing act and you gotta pick the least bad. In my opinion a fairly small take home is less bad than in person coding interviews while still providing an important signal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Since I'm typically hiring manufacturing engineers in some form or another, I do the skills-assessment in one of two ways (or sometimes both). Either I do the "tell me about your past work and projects, particularly one where...", or I do a sort-of / kind-of whiteboard project in person. I'm going to quote-paraphrase it below.

Sundae's paraphrased in-person example project posted:

Okay, so we're going to work through a technical problem at work next. Please understand, I know that you likely don't have the answer for this. I don't expect you to. I'm interested in your thought process here.

You've just received a call from the manufacturing floor. The end-of-batch inspection is finding tablets with black specks in them. They're going to fail AQL and need a path forward. They've called QA and now they're calling you to troubleshoot what's going on. I know you're new here, so if you need to ask any other functional groups for help or info, go ahead and tell me. Pretend I'm whoever you need to talk to and just let me know. Here's the equipment flow-chart on the whiteboard for how this process works. The senior engineer gave you this when you started, so you have a reference to learn from.

I'd like to see your thought process on how you figure out what's wrong with the tablets.

From there, I just watch and interact, provide information on the scenario, etc. I don't bother with any bullshit like "oh, the operator was wrong" or anything like that because it feels too much like a trap to me. I look mostly for what kinds of questions they ask, how they go through the process and check piece by piece/operation by operation, what functions they call for help, etc etc.

Occasionally they land on the right answer, but more often they land somewhere in the vicinity and then don't have the experience or extra system knowledge to dig any deeper. As long as they then refer those details on to someone who's been there longer or who has extra experience to come help them dig, that's still a solid answer to me. What I hate to see is someone who doesn't know how to structure a problem or who can't lay out a process in a way that makes (to them) logical sense. That's my big takeaway from that one, plus if they say anything particularly awful in the post-project discussion. Example of particularly awful, from an interview at J&J: Q: "Can I ask why you didn't talk to the operators during the troubleshooting process?" A: "If they knew anything, they wouldn't be operators." :wtc:

I honestly have no idea how I'd evaluate coding ability in a fair way, but thankfully I never have to do that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sundae posted:

Since I'm typically hiring manufacturing engineers in some form or another, I do the skills-assessment in one of two ways (or sometimes both). Either I do the "tell me about your past work and projects, particularly one where...", or I do a sort-of / kind-of whiteboard project in person. I'm going to quote-paraphrase it below.

I do similar but for coding that only gets you so far since most of the time you need to implement too. I do like the "You won't get the answer but let's walk through how you'd get as close as you reasonably can". I generally feel confident about determining "Is this person generally smart" but the "Does this person possess the base skills needed for this role" is a lot harder without making it feel very hoop-jumpy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

I do similar but for coding that only gets you so far since most of the time you need to implement too. I do like the "You won't get the answer but let's walk through how you'd get as close as you reasonably can". I generally feel confident about determining "Is this person generally smart" but the "Does this person possess the base skills needed for this role" is a lot harder without making it feel very hoop-jumpy.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea how to do it for coding and am happy I don't have to figure that out.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I may bag on some of our operators, sure there are lazy ones just like any other class of job. But the absolute worst engineers are the ones that never talk to operators, you dumb mother fuckers they’re the ones actually doing the job.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tnuctip posted:

I may bag on some of our operators, sure there are lazy ones just like any other class of job. But the absolute worst engineers are the ones that never talk to operators, you dumb mother fuckers they’re the ones actually doing the job.

For real. A good operator is worth his weight in gold, and there's something to be said for sheer experience. I've had operators at places I've worked who could tell you something was hosed up with the equipment or process just from hearing a little clicking sound, for example. "That click! That right there! That's new. Stop the machine." The click ended up being a loose track on a rotary turret that hadn't been torqued down correctly. Running a full batch like that probably would've worked it loose and caused $10K+ in damage, plus downtime costs. He didn't know what was wrong, but he knew the machine didn't click and stopped it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

It doesn't sound like my team but is there something I can take an unofficial comment too for you?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Roundboy posted:

It doesn't sound like my team but is there something I can take an unofficial comment too for you?

I've made my comment very loudly to the team already. :) Veeva has no parent/child relationships, meaning that a complicated change record with lots of moving parts becomes much harder to track, and requires that we create the lineages in the "Comments" field of the initiation or in the execution summary calling out all the linked records. However, because they're not really linked, there's nothing to ensure that gating / order of execution / closure requirements are met on a system level. It falls to the Change QC rep, the QA rep, or the CR owner to make sure that they've hit all the gating in the right order.

E: Also, goddamn, how many of us GNEs post here?!?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The most I’ve seen a candidate crash and burn is when I asked him how he’d go about moving a wheel loader from Wyoming to Ottawa, quickly and cheaply.

Dude went on and on about renting a flatbed. No matter how much I prompted him, he never once mentioned customs, or anything related to importation. Despite having ten years of logistics experience on his resume.

There was also the guy who blew up at my intern in class because she’d obviously been hired as a diversity hire and he was more deserving of the job but we didn’t interview him. That’s how you get blacklisted from a company who’d never otherwise heard of you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FrozenVent posted:

There was also the guy who blew up at my intern in class because she’d obviously been hired as a diversity hire and he was more deserving of the job but we didn’t interview him. That’s how you get blacklisted from a company who’d never otherwise heard of you.

lmao

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Corp is definitely taking advantage of the recent shift in power and rolling out a new set of Return to Office guidelines. I'm not affected as I'm 100% remote, but they're hellbent on dragging people back into the office no matter what.

What I don't get is we have hard, concrete, irrefutable data that people are more productive working at home, but they still insist on dragging people back in. I also find it interesting that it's different for every department. I'm in IT and they aren't asking us to return to the office at all, because we already have trouble hiring and keeping top IT talent and they don't want to lose more people than we already have. The front line workers, customer service, and some various back office teams though where folks maybe have less options right now, they're requiring at least 3 days a week in the office.

My wife works at the same place I do, and they've been doing 1 day a week for a while which isn't terrible, but it was a joke. Everyone shows up around 8 and then leaves at lunch time. We live a little farther away so to beat traffic she gets there at 6am and leaves by 1. All this does is waste 4 to 6 hours of her life sitting in traffic every week. I would understand if her job required any sort of collaboration, but she interacts with no one at all. She gets her cases assigned, she does her work, she uploads the results. She can go an entire week without talking to anyone else at work sometimes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
todays' my scheduled in-office day so I got my tired rear end out of bed at 3:30 in the loving morning so I could be in the office by 5. I live an hour away with no traffic.

Get to the office and...oh my god I left my laptop at home. Got back home at 6:30 and just worked from home.

So far nobody's noticed, or cared.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Local university is insisting all staff come to work 3/5 days. Have a few friends there. Admins are dug in and holding fast to antiquity, hiring yes men to replace the higher ups who dipped. I imagine COVID exposed some serious bloat. Boggles the mind to think of all the useful things that could be done with buildings other than office space, but that would require more than marketing. I guess it’s on me for thinking cynicism toward higher ed might scare em up a bit, if the conservatives taking power didn’t make em budge.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
my department was spared by this, but the company used WFH as an excuse to cut down on a lot of office space, then replaced it with a hoteling suite in a singular location in case anyone wanted to come in. Then they mandated people come back in.

The hoteling area isn't actually equipped with anything so all you get is a single monitor that IT was able to scrounge up. So now you have engineers working off of a laptop touchpad and laptop keyboard with nothing but a tiny 19" monitor, not being allowed to use their good setups at home. All in the name of collaboration (in a shared environment surrounded by strangers)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Sundae posted:

I've made my comment very loudly to the team already. :) Veeva has no parent/child relationships, meaning that a complicated change record with lots of moving parts becomes much harder to track, and requires that we create the lineages in the "Comments" field of the initiation or in the execution summary calling out all the linked records. However, because they're not really linked, there's nothing to ensure that gating / order of execution / closure requirements are met on a system level. It falls to the Change QC rep, the QA rep, or the CR owner to make sure that they've hit all the gating in the right order.

E: Also, goddamn, how many of us GNEs post here?!?

Understood, and to clarify, Im on the Veeva side :). Just not in that particular thing

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Understood, and to clarify, Im on the Veeva side :). Just not in that particular thing

Ahh, gotcha! Yeah, this is purely a user-side thing.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My Wife's company was proposing a 1 day a week RTO. Your team would each have individual assigned days, so if there was an outbreak it wouldn't take out your whole team. You would only see people from other teams.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I've been permanently remote for what's approaching a half decade, but my wife is being "forced" to go into the office one day a week for her job where was hired on as a remote employee.

Except she has refused and told them they can let her go if it's an issue, which apparently they didn't expect. So a month later they reiterated that coming in once a week was an expectation of the job, and she reiterated that she didn't agree to that. She hasn't heard anything since that last meeting, and I suspect she won't until February.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I know that the US way of writing dates is an annoying thing to deal with. It's true and I get that.

However

When our India-based guys use lakh and crore formatting in Excel? Now that's a surefire way to break brains. It's like a reality glitch, a digital SCP. If you're not used to seeing that number format, your eyes simply refuse to parse it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tibalt posted:

I've been permanently remote for what's approaching a half decade, but my wife is being "forced" to go into the office one day a week for her job where was hired on as a remote employee.

Except she has refused and told them they can let her go if it's an issue, which apparently they didn't expect. So a month later they reiterated that coming in once a week was an expectation of the job, and she reiterated that she didn't agree to that. She hasn't heard anything since that last meeting, and I suspect she won't until February.
I love this, especially if she was hired as a remote employee then she is doing the right thing and her employer can get hosed if they are going to try to force her to come in.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae, about his best intern ever posted:

I wish I could've brought my intern from J&J over too, but my former manager burned him out on the pharma industry and he went to work at a bleach factory in upstate NY as a process engineer when his internship ended. I tried to convince him to apply to a role like 5 yrs ago and he doesn't believe me that there are non-poo poo pharma companies. :(

That dude's worth a post of his own. He gave the single best engineering intern interview I've ever had, and after it, I legitimately went out to my boss (once the candidate was gone, I mean) and told her that if she didn't extend an offer to him, I'd never forgive her.

When I worked at J&J in Pennsylvania, I had a kid from upstate NY come in for an interview. He'd been referred in by one of the career-fair outreach folks who was advertising interns, and they'd met him at a fair in Pittsburgh. He starts out as an average, mild-mannered candidate. He's a college junior at a middling school in upstate New York, he's studying mechanical engineering, and he really doesn't know too much about what he wants to do. He's taken some bio courses and some process engineering courses (that surprised me - most universities don't offer anything like that) and he wanted to try the pharma industry. We had an opening for a process engineer / techops intern, and he wanted to learn more. IMO, that's a pretty danged good reason to do an internship - you learn about the field, we learn about you, and it's a paid position (pretty well-paid in pharma usually too). Win win.

With undergrad applicants, you definitely don't have a lot of work experience to ask them about. So, you start out by asking them about academic projects. This is paraphrased because it's been like seven years now, but this is how his project interview question went.

Sundae: "So, can you tell me about a time you had challenges with a project, what happened, and how you worked them out? This can be academic, group work, another internship, whatever you have to work with from your experience."
Candidate: "My best friend and I started our own skateboard company. We design our own custom decks, get them manufactured in China with kinda-sorta print-on-demand with small, limited runs, and then handle shipping out to our customers in the US."
At this point, he pulls out a binder from his backpack and starts showing me pictures of skateboards, pictures of him and his friend standing next to chinese workers on a manufacturing line holding up a board, etc etc.
Candidate: "We had a series of customer complaints come back that our prints were peeling off the boards in like six weeks, which is way too soon. Something's wrong with the process for that to happen so quickly."
Sundae: "So, what did you do?"
Candidate: "We contacted the factory through our product manager over there and arranged for a visit to come see the line and figure out what was wrong. We arranged passports and flights, got a short visa [I think?], and went over to inspect the process and see what happened. It was (whatever he said - something with a bake step for the final coat over the paint job)."

At this point, he asks if he can use our whiteboard, and he draws out a rough schematic of the board-making process on the board, with where the problem was. He's basically answered my next question (the problem-solving pharma study) in skateboard form before I've even asked it.

Sundae: "So you literally found the problem, went to the source and fixed it?"
Candidate: "Well, then we had to figure out what to do about all the defective boards. We couldn't really do a recall or anything because we didn't keep that good of records, but we sent out replacements to everyone who contacted us."

Sundae: :aaa:

We chat a little longer, and then I decide that to be fair, I have to still ask him the pharma problem-solving question. I asked everyone else the question, I shouldn't deviate from that aspect of the script. I explain that I'll be playing the role of his various resources/personnel, explain that he has black spots in the finished product, and then I sketch out the manufacturing process on the whiteboard and hand control to him.

The kid proceeds to call in the operators and ask them questions about what they saw, asks who he should talk to so he can see the defect in person, asks what he should see instead of this defect (Is / Is Not). He goes to the beginning of the process and starts dissecting it, kinda like this...

Candidate: "Okay, so just raw materials here, unprocessed?"
Sundae: "Yep."
Candidate: "Can we check them for black specks?"
Sundae: "Yep. Operators saw nothing during pre-check, and now that you're looking, it still looks good."
Candidate: "What does 'looks good' mean?" (This is a fabulous question.)
Sundae: "White powder, matching specification. No black specks."

He continues all the way down the process until he finds the first appearance of black specks, then stops and starts digging in on that step. (The source is a mechanical vibrator to keep powder flowing, which is causing metal-on-metal rubbing in a hopper and dropping little black specks of steel into the powder in the press hopper, then compacting them into the tablets.) He's not able to catch that particular aspect, but ID's where in the process it is and then says he'd need help from someone with experience or to see the actual machine to go further from there. About the only thing he didn't do (and may not have realized he could; it's an internship after all) was ask for composition of the black specks (which would've told him elemental breakdown / ID as stainless steel in his version of the question).

So basically, insanely advanced for an intern who doesn't even know if he wants to be in the field. He's a legit problem-solving guy, has dealt with third party manufacturers in China on his passion-project side gig, and was both thoughtful and methodical in how he dug into a problem he didn't have the background to solve. I spent the entire second half of the interview trying not to do a happy-dance, basically.

Hell yes, we hired him. And then my boss scared him out of the industry entirely by the time his internship was done. :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sundae posted:

And then my boss scared him out of the industry entirely by the time his internship was done. :(

an unfortunately successful internship then, probably.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lockback posted:

He even knows ‘fail fast’

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sundae posted:

And then my boss scared him out of the industry entirely by the time his internship was done. :(

Wish someone had done me that favour in semiconductors back in 2000...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

Yep. He learned what he didn't like and ran for it. Kudos to him. He is currently working in either Rochester or Buffalo NY as a process engineer on a bleach manufacturing line.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Guy Axlerod posted:

My Wife's company was proposing a 1 day a week RTO. Your team would each have individual assigned days, so if there was an outbreak it wouldn't take out your whole team. You would only see people from other teams.

Did anybody stop to think that if you're not even in proximity with your team, then even the entire pretense that working in the office is better because of collaboration falls apart? Because that poo poo's hilarious.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Did anybody stop to think that if you're not even in proximity with your team, then even the entire pretense that working in the office is better because of collaboration falls apart? Because that poo poo's hilarious.

They just want worker asses in seats in the building. Whose asses exactly doesn't matter at all.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

It's trying to get a government job but worse as you don't get the government job perks. I knew I hated this.

My company somehow lost 10 skids.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Che Delilas posted:

My fiancée’s product development team is now in the office Tuesday and Wednesday every week so they can collaborate. Except they also cancelled all of the in person meetings those days because they have to use their conference rooms as office spaces because there’s too many people and no one has assigned desks. It’s loving amazing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I go in two days a week but it's variable which ones and most scheduled around going for drinks so it works out quite well.

Any way in an excellent parody of "good news everyone!" after a load of spiel about what management expect for next year and blah blah "there's no do nothing option" (except management did nothing for 10 years which is why we're in this mess), the budget guy took over and basically said "it's hosed, it's all hosed and it's actually going to get more hosed. And it looks like it will stay hosed next year as well, so I wouldn't assume that you can even fill spots we have open because people have left". Cool. Cool.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
We've been told 40% time in the office going forward, which is hilarious as I'm literally the only person from my team based in this city. If you expand out there's one other person from my directorate and maybe one more from another directorate that I have any dealings with. Thankfully my boss is content to pay little attention to where I am so I won't be spending an hour a day travelling to sit on Teams calls.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, see, this is how it starts.

‘This is not an employee choice’: The CEO of Morgan Stanley gets real and says employees can’t simply choose to work remotely (archive link)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The choice is to not work for Morgan Stanley.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm surprised to hear so many places mandating returning. At our company we're looking at using some carrots to get a day a week for people who want (like snacks/lunch that day, planning all-hands on those days, etc). So far our C-leader has been insisted for us it remains optional (and myself and others have been re-enforcing that if it changes there will be retention issues where we least want them).

Some other teams are pushing harder, but like for 1 day a week or so. I think our London sales guys have to come in regularly now but I don't pretend to understand what motivates what sales people do.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

smackfu posted:

The choice is to not work for Morgan Stanley.

Yeah, it's this. There's still jobs at most levels where remote work is fine; I guess mostly at companies that don't have massive property holdings.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

My CEO is a germaphobe :smugbert:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I understand it’s traumatizing to see a floor of empty desks when you just paid the real estate bill but at some point that’s just mismanagement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

smackfu posted:

I understand it’s traumatizing to see a floor of empty desks when you just paid the real estate bill but at some point that’s just mismanagement.
Yeah but C-levels are masters of the sunk-cost fallacy so here we are.