Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
suck up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 13, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This morning at a park, my kid put himself in a jail then said "oh no daddy the police are coming, dead them dead them I want you to make them dead."

So proud

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

vvv just you wait, he's going to grow up to be a PD.

If HHD Jr. end's up a lawyer then he has failed as a father.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Josie Lawrence and Richard Vranch can improvise Sondheim. Which is why they are the best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

While impressive, Ryan Stiles trying to quickly ditch his stash when the guy says he's a cop is the funniest part of the video.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Imagine Cats, but everyone onstage has a British accent and is quasi-ironically wearing monacles, pith helmets and bonnets. Simultaneously.

Imagine a lace boot, stomping ona stagehand’s face, with an outdated reference to the White Star Line, forever.

Imagine an annual showing of Rocky Horror Show, but the entire prior year is taken up with rehearsals and preparation-and fewer people show up to watch.

I don't want to imagine any of those things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I don't want to imagine any of those things.

I like to imagine shows where people just talk to each other rather than sing about the mundane minutia of life.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
Hanging out with summer associates makes me feel 50 years old. These kids follow you around like a fly looking for a honeypot even though we junior associates are just as much powerless, overpaid drones as they are.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I had a big oral argument yesterday. The state let me spend up to 15k to hire a consultant (big law partner) to prep me for the hearing.

I told them I'm likely to lose no matter what, and we're just going to have to appeal. Nevertheless, we went forward.

I don't know the result, but I've never felt more confident in court. It was pretty neat. You big law guys have some nice digs. It was like a dad telling me how to shave.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I had a big oral argument yesterday. The state let me spend up to 15k to hire a consultant (big law partner) to prep me for the hearing.

I told them I'm likely to lose no matter what, and we're just going to have to appeal. Nevertheless, we went forward.

I don't know the result, but I've never felt more confident in court. It was pretty neat. You big law guys have some nice digs. It was like a dad telling me how to shave.

And you didn't even have to blow the guy? Sweet. Man, I would have loved any goddamned guidance at all for any loving thing at any point. Figuring out litigation on your own is herculean bullshit.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I have a lot of guidance but my normal work dad was busy so we hired an outside new work dad. Any Texas attorneys willing to be a consultant in the future? It was actually really helpful.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I like to imagine shows where people just talk to each other rather than sing about the mundane minutia of life.

I haven't quite worked out the format of the rejoinder, but I know it involves The Iceman Cometh.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I have no adult supervision. It rocks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've got my first court appearance tuesday. Every couple of months they hold a veteran's treatment court here in town to adjudicate criminal cases where the veteran meets certain qualifications. The vast majority of these cases are people who have had licenses suspended (your license can be suspended for nearly anything in FL) and have had fines/tickets/warrants rack up. The local judge will cut the fines in half and assign community service for the balance. I don't have my bar card yet, but I'm good to go as a certified legal intern in the state so I'll appear regardless with a few of these cases while one of the licensed attorneys present actually signs off on it.

It's not paid, but it helps people out and I get to bullshit with a judge for a minute while he goes over the rules with the veteran on their sentence. Some cases do come through the court that are legit crimes and these people have proper PDs or lawyers and have had the whole time. The judge focuses on treatment over incarceration if at all possible, though, which is really cool and good.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Working treatment courts (sorry, I'm supposed to call them "problem-solving courts") can be pretty amazing. Our drug court turned 2 years old recently, and we've seen some startling transformations from people who were bound for significant prison terms. They're now thriving members of the community, working, engaged in charity work, etc.

It's ALMOST like substance use disorder is a medical condition and not a moral failing to be criminalized. WHO KNEW?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yup. We’re dealing with people with PTSD. People whose income is only what the VA pays them if even that. People who have been rendered jobless and homeless by lovely circumstance and a couple of bad decisions, but the success rate coming out is phenomenal.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

At some point I'd be curious to compare the pro legal strategies for court persuasion, speaking and communication with the material I've covered teaching and studying practical communication and public speaking academically. Based on what I've found in medical communication training, I'd expect some real whiplash.

Arguments to Supreme Court of Texas are posted online as video and audio. I mostly watch to see “what not to do.” In fairness to the participants, Monday morning quarterbacking is very easy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jury trials are a much better source of persuasive argument in my opinion. Appellate arguments are a different animal, much more rule- and appeal-to-authority-based.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jury trials are a much better source of persuasive argument in my opinion. Appellate arguments are a different animal, much more rule- and appeal-to-authority-based.

Also often resolved more based on the standard of review than anything else.

“Abuse of discretion? Get hosed.”

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yep. I’d recommend chatting with a jury consultant if the opportunity arises - they often have a lot of influence on trial approaches. Not in which legal arguments to pursue, but in how to convey them to jurors most effectively.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You pretty much win or lose the appeal on your brief. Oral argument is just masturbation.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

You pretty much win or lose the appeal on your brief. Oral argument is just masturbation.

Hahaha, and your record! I was trying to be polite.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Agreed re: jury argument, with all posters. Still curious to know what "winning strategies" are floating around. Glancing at jury consultancies, it looks like exactly the bloated, parasitic cargo cult I was expecting.

...I need to get a cut of that action. Goons, who wants to pay me $100k to learn about (debunked) power pose research for an hour? I know One Weird Trick that makes juries convict!

Jury consultants are the ultimate snake oil salesmen. If you win the case, it just goes to show how valuable they are. If you lose its because of the lawyers performance.

Sign me up!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

You know what I love most about appeals? Minimal direct contact with the parties. Maybe I have to send a letter here or there -- your brief is late, file it or we'll dismiss your case -- but it's basically so much more peaceful than the normal glut of trial-level stuff.

(I'm waiting for The Future, when research attorneys are undisturbed by litigants and just float in tanks, like Guild Navigators in Dune or precogs in Minority Report.)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I miss appeals. Less drama. Less douche nozzles.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The only time I dealt with a jury consultant was when one helped me set up a trial simulation, with real people. It was no small logistical undertaking, putting together the appropriate venire, assisting with preparation of materials, etc. My client really wanted to do it, so I had no problem with it. It was a case with $5M in exposure, with really unique facts and lots of video deposition and other relevant media. Very interesting case. I found the simulation useful in several areas, but I’ve never dealt with one during trial. My senior partner is a master jury picker, he would never think he needed one (but he may just never have had the right case for one).

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

When exposure is big and your client has infinite funds, always hire consultants.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Oh hello, performance review given by two partners I work less with and not with the one partner that literally 2/3 of my work comes from this afternoon. How are you, performance review given by two partners I work less with and not with the one partner that literally 2/3 of my work comes from this afternoon?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Whelp. There it is. The dumbest loving argument I’ve ever heard.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The only time I dealt with a jury consultant was when one helped me set up a trial simulation, with real people. It was no small logistical undertaking, putting together the appropriate venire, assisting with preparation of materials, etc. My client really wanted to do it, so I had no problem with it. It was a case with $5M in exposure, with really unique facts and lots of video deposition and other relevant media. Very interesting case. I found the simulation useful in several areas, but I’ve never dealt with one during trial. My senior partner is a master jury picker, he would never think he needed one (but he may just never have had the right case for one).

Yep. And the good ones not only set up the mock for you (and do the work of making sure your mock jury pool is relatively similar to your real jury pool) but can provide some thought on how to effectively communicate to those jurors. Mostly they're just a second check (without a law degree or expertise in the particular case area) on whether what you're saying is going to make any goddamn sense to a juror with an 8th grade education, and in making sure that you fit aspects of the argument to the jury pool.

If a jury consultant had ever used the words "power pose research" we'd have fired them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

My desk. I weep for our profession.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Long and short of it, kidnapping at common law was any restraint on movement. CT adopted another statute unlawful restraint. Legislative intent is that kidnapping requires more than restraint incidental to the offense. Example: moving someone from couch to floor in a sexual assault = unlawful restraint. Moving them to a different room and leaving them bound and gagged afterward = kidnapping. Juries are supposed to be instructed. Case saying that applied retroactively. So under some fact patterns a kidnapping conviction (but not the other convictions) can get kicked if a jury could reasonably find the restraint was merely incidental.

Apparently forcing someone into the trunk of a car at gunpoint, driving them to a second car. Putting them in the trunk again. Driving to a building. Marching them across a parking lot, and forcing them up 2 flights of stairs is merely incidental to raping them. (He did this multiple times btw)

Shouldn’t be surprised. Same lawyer who claimed ineffective assistance because trial counsel didn’t get his mentally competent but complete douchebag client to refrain from pissing in the courtroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

ActusRhesus posted:

Apparently forcing someone into the trunk of a car at gunpoint, driving them to a second car. Putting them in the trunk again. Driving to a building. Marching them across a parking lot, and forcing them up 2 flights of stairs is merely incidental to raping them. (He did this multiple times btw)

That's the "dumbest loving argument you've ever heard?" Do you even sovcit bro?