Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Marinara is a hell to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hugh Malone posted:

im sorry im going to be nice to ketchup now

ty

Bluedeanie

al sorry for your loss bud thata real sad

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Abugadu posted:

also found this old pic of my last cat from a few years back, we used it as a xmas card - picture was taken in the 4/10 of a second in between getting part of the cat into a child's santa outfit and the cat sprinting out of the room with half a child's santa outfit dragging along behind.

i was wondering how the hell you got a cat to pose and wear anything, nice timing on that

also: imho ketchup is excellent on french fries and onion rings but otherwise i don't care for it, how ironic that a tasty condiment is what finally tears byob apart and leads to our inevitable decent into civil war, chaos and anarchy

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
ketchup... is a soup?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
tea is plant beer

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I remember the day byob crumbled. It all started when mama tomato, papa tomato, and baby tomato were in a rush. Baby tomato started lagging behind and... *begins sobbing*

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
yogurt is just a slow milk

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
maple syrup is tree snot

Robot Made of Meat

TOOT BOOT posted:

I had no idea there were people that dislike ketchup, maybe ketchup on a specific food item, but not in general.

Ketchup is pretty gross. In my house, its only use is as an ingredient in meatloaf.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

roomforthetuna posted:

I wasn't trying to gotcha, more trying to understand what the hate is about. Like if you like marinara then it's not tomato-flavor, and if you like A1 sauce then it's not the vinegar or the texture or the sugar that's the problem. Is it the combination of tomato and sugar? A lot of marinara-in-a-jar is that too. Is it the combination of tomato and sugar and not being hot? Is it the single-consistency red-ness?

Edit: I don't really like ketchup either, so I could ask myself these questions, and the answer is "I don't know, I guess it's kind of bland compared to the comparable sauces, so why would I want a bland sauce when I could have a mustard?" Also I don't like mayonnaise for the same reason.

foods are more than just the individual ingredients in them. for an extreme example borrowed from Full House, i like chocolate pudding, i like cheese ,a nd i like onions, but i wouldn't like the 3 of them together

for a more realistic example: I really dislike sauerkraut. Its sole ingredients are cabbage and salt (you don't even add water, it comes out of the cabbage). If you mix cabbage and salt and immediately cook it, I love it, hell put some butter on it mmmm yeah cabbage owns. If you mix cabbage and salt and age it, I hate it. Despite them being the same ingredients. I challenge you to find anyone who would eat a bite of cooked cabbage, and a bite of fermented sauerkraut, and claim that they are the same food.

the preparation and proportions of ingredients in ketchup are miles away from that of marinara, but even if they were close it wouldn't matte rbecause even a small change in proportion and preparation can wildly change the flavor of a food. they are completely different foods. If you want to claim that marinara and ketchup are similar, try to envision serving someone spaghetti with ketchup on it and when they complain pedantically telling them that it's basically the same as marinara, how do you think that would go over?

there is also a fun mental game related to this: try to find 3 foods where every pair of them is (or could be) good, but all 3 together would be gross. I still haven't found an answer but apparently there are only a handful of "established" answers floating around the internet, it's hard

sorry i don't mean to single you out roomforthetuna i know you're not being a jerk about it, this is me reacting to a whole lifetime of people reacting to me hating ketchup by being absolutely incredulous, pedantic, and condescending, rather than just saying "oh okay" and accepting that not everyone likes all foods

ty manifisto

alnilam

ketchup dislikers are probably the most oppressed minority in the country right now :qq:

ty manifisto

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
#notmycondiment

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

At least we can all agree on one thing:

Mayo and miracle whip are the exact same thing and anytime our friend's mom made us a sandwich with miracle whip it was fine and not at all unpleasant and shocking.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Luvcow posted:

#notmycondiment

lol

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

#notmycondiment

ty manifisto

City of Glompton

Jolo posted:

At least we can all agree on one thing:

Mayo and miracle whip are the exact same thing and anytime our friend's mom made us a sandwich with miracle whip it was fine and not at all unpleasant and shocking.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Benstonium/stat...r%3D420%23pti33

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

alnilam posted:

the preparation and proportions of ingredients in ketchup are miles away from that of marinara, but even if they were close it wouldn't matte rbecause even a small change in proportion and preparation can wildly change the flavor of a food. they are completely different foods. If you want to claim that marinara and ketchup are similar, try to envision serving someone spaghetti with ketchup on it and when they complain pedantically telling them that it's basically the same as marinara, how do you think that would go over?
Funny you should say that, because someone once dumped a shitload of ketchup into some spaghetti that was short of sauce, and it was pretty much inedible. They were ready to throw it out. I said give me a minute to try to rescue it (because there wasn't any other food around at the time, this was poor student days). I added a bunch of cumin, some coriander, and a few other things, and somehow managed to make it taste as if the ketchup had never been added at all.

Unfortunately I don't remember what the total mix was, so I can't provide you ketchup-haters with the magical anti-ketchup formula. :(

alnilam

roomforthetuna posted:

Funny you should say that, because someone once dumped a shitload of ketchup into some spaghetti that was short of sauce, and it was pretty much inedible. They were ready to throw it out. I said give me a minute to try to rescue it (because there wasn't any other food around at the time, this was poor student days). I added a bunch of cumin, some coriander, and a few other things, and somehow managed to make it taste as if the ketchup had never been added at all.

Unfortunately I don't remember what the total mix was, so I can't provide you ketchup-haters with the magical anti-ketchup formula. :(

carefully adding a single drop of anti-ketchup to the tainted french fry

huge explosion happens that blows all the walls of the restaurant down

i'm left sitting there with my hair blown back and black soot all over me like a cartoon character and i eat the fry and smile

ty manifisto

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i really dont care for catsup tbh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
ajvar is clearly a superior condiment

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam, hide

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hot condiment take: uh have you tried dipping your fries in spicy brown mustard because it's good

eta: also i don't like mayonnaise OR miracle whip, for different reasons. one is eggy wet and the other is oily wet sharp and i don't like either.

MockingQuantum

I like ketchup, but I also like marmite so I recognize I'm a terrible barometer for food things. also is weird foodshaming a thing that exists elsewhere in the country? growing up in the midwest I feel like people get no end of poo poo that translates nearly into really weird bullying for not liking "common" foods, I don't eat a lot of local fish (because stuff like trout and walleye literally tastes rotten to me) and every once in a while I'll meet someone who is inexplicably awful to me about it. never been sure if that's just a weird midwestern thing or not though, since we apparently have a lot of weird behavioral oddities that don't exist elsewhere in the country.

or on the subject of mayo, two of my friends don't like mayo and servers at restaurants will occasionally try to get in verbal debates about how they're wrong, 'tis bizzare

all that said, if I had only one condiment it'd be spicy brown mustard hands-down, v. versatile and lasts for a long time and isn't mostly sugar like a lot of sneaky condiments

thank you luvcow for the sig

Farecoal

There he go

hamjobs posted:

eggy wet

mods!!??

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

MockingQuantum posted:

I like ketchup, but I also like marmite so I recognize I'm a terrible barometer for food things. also is weird foodshaming a thing that exists elsewhere in the country? growing up in the midwest I feel like people get no end of poo poo that translates nearly into really weird bullying for not liking "common" foods, I don't eat a lot of local fish (because stuff like trout and walleye literally tastes rotten to me) and every once in a while I'll meet someone who is inexplicably awful to me about it. never been sure if that's just a weird midwestern thing or not though, since we apparently have a lot of weird behavioral oddities that don't exist elsewhere in the country.

or on the subject of mayo, two of my friends don't like mayo and servers at restaurants will occasionally try to get in verbal debates about how they're wrong, 'tis bizzare

all that said, if I had only one condiment it'd be spicy brown mustard hands-down, v. versatile and lasts for a long time and isn't mostly sugar like a lot of sneaky condiments

i know it happens everywhere but really moreso since i moved back to the midwest. like i have flat out had people yell at me over not wanting aioli (not true aioli--garlic ground in a mortar and pestle with olive oil added, the americanised version that is garlic mayo essentially) or ranch or ketchup. i like to appreciate foods as they're prepared and also bitch i love mustard and hot sauce, let me live.

the best places to not get yelled at over condiments are the syrian place and like, the bosnian place we go a lot and the korean place by my house. nobody yells at me for hating most condiments.

Nosfereefer

people tend to get aggressive over foodpinions in general. i suspect it's a fundamental psychological thing tbh

Nosfereefer

i remember a pretty good analysis of religious/cultural dietary restrictions, boiling it down to essentially a mean to distinguish the Other. for instance, abiding by kosher laws would essentially make sharing a food table with non-practicing neighbours impossible in a stone-age scenario

Nosfereefer

pretty sure it's related to how a lot of people will get really angry about vegans existing

MockingQuantum

yeah I've never understood that either. my wife is vegetarian and used to get tons of poo poo for it, thankfully that's mostly gone to the wayside. she also still gets people who assume all vegetarians eat fish, which is very strange to me but apparently not that unusual? but yeah I've never understood being morally outraged at the existence of vegans. I do have one friend who is vegan and morally outraged that any other human exists, though, so maybe it's the universe's way of balancing him out

alnilam

namechange queued :thumbsup:

ty manifisto

alnilam

MockingQuantum posted:

she also still gets people who assume all vegetarians eat fish, which is very strange to me but apparently not that unusual?

lol yeah vegetarian acceptance has gotten better but this one still happens sometimse esp when I'm not in the city, it always makes me lol i have no idea wherre it comes from

ty manifisto

Nosfereefer

what you eat is going to be a pretty central identity marker, and something a lot of people will unreflectivly react to

Nosfereefer

people will randomly freak out about muslims and jews not eating pork, and extrapolate to the point where they think it's like w/ vampires and garlic (see: pig fat covered bullets)

alnilam

yeah that is a combination of being-defensive-about-dietary-choices and good ol fashioned bigotry

ty manifisto

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

"biscuit eater" was an epithet commonly slung at me during childhood. because i brought cold biscuits and peanut butter in my lunch because i liked them and i didn't know we were poor or that being "mixed" was seen as bad.

MockingQuantum

I suppose it's easy to underestimate how much a person's diet and food preferences are tied up into cultural identity, especially if you're not from a family or culture where specific foods have a contextual meaning beyond just being fuel

but hey, to turn this conversational frown upside-down, anybody have any super-specific foods that you always have around holiday/wintertimes? My family has a bunch and I have no idea where any of them come from. My Czech grandmother always insisted that Christmas dinner required knoephla (which is not, strictly speaking, Czech) and lefse (which is not remotely Czech), and the other side of my family always has Tom & Jerry's, which are at least sort of analogous to egg nog, and oyster stew, which is one I can't come close to explaining.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i make a lot of cocoa grahams from scratch and cover them in peppermint bark; i make pumpkin pecan bread for sides/breakfast/dessert/purposely staled bread for pumpkin french toast emergencies. sometimes i make peanut butter cake too because peanut butter is delicious and i know it's not very holiday-like, but peanut butter is shelf stable and winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie

i have not seen a chocolate orange in the store during the holidays in a dogs age