Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So there's an air/oil heat exchanger on the GEnx which sits just behind the fan on the interior surface of the inlet. It's a curved sheet of many many quite sharp exposed cooling fins maybe 1cm high. It makes a mean pulled bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I feel certain there's been at least one experiment with putting chicken wire in front of a jet engine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FuturePastNow posted:

I feel certain there's been at least one experiment with putting chicken wire in front of a jet engine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FuturePastNow posted:

IIRC, some soviet/russian jets have intake doors but that is more for runway FOD and I don't think they'd be closed on takeoff :haw:

Mig 29 had em I believe, with louvers on top to suck in air when taxiing.

e: yep

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So that's what those things on the mig 29 are about. That's neat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Do you think this balloon is racist?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FuturePastNow posted:

I believe the technical term is "first stage fan."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSafRuLB0c0

Even if the bird is big enough to cause a stall, usually there's no damage beyond the fan. If some bird manages to go through the hot section, then that can be bad, but normally they just do the birdstrike inspection: hose out the bypass duct and blend out the dents/scrapes in the blade (and the one opposite) and call it a day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It's Australia so.. yes

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sydney Morning Herald posted:

The decision was made to ban the Black Magic balloon, also known as "Golly", after an Events ACT staff member raised concerns about its name, the department's director, Jo Verden, said.

The owner and pilot of the hot air balloon, Kay Turnbull, said on Wednesday evening that her family and friends only ever refer to it by its official registered name, Black Magic. The term Golly more refers to its design.

"Progressing reconciliation between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the broader Canberra community is a key priority for the ACT government," Ms Verden said.

"The use of words and/or visual depictions that may be considered racist and offensive by many in our community ... is not supported."

Ms Turnbull has been a participant in the event for 20 years. She has accepted ACT Events' offer to fly the balloon with a new facade this year, but is disappointed by the decision, she says.

Ms Turnbull is lobbying the ACT government to cover some of the cost of the new facade, or "envelope", which she has been asked to hire using her own money. It will be coloured blue, red and yellow, and will have no real distinguishing features, she said.

"My philosophy is that I'm incredibly disappointed rather than anything else. In 20 years of flying the design of the balloon all over Australia, we haven't had one single complaint," Ms Turnbull said.

"We've caused so much fun for people and we have a huge following with children and, I must say, some Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people too.

"It is not our intention ever to offend anybody. The fact that it has a smiling face – it's not directed at Aboriginals or anyone that might be a different colour."

The name of the hot air balloon, Golly, refers to the black fictional character golliwog that appeared in children's books in the 19th century and in the 1970s had great popularity when reproduced as a rag doll.

In 2019 they are often considered a symbol of Australia's racist past. The word magic in Black Magic appears in the names of Ms Turnbull's other hot air balloons, she said, and the name Golly is insignificant.

"The name of the balloon is just the name. Most balloon pilots are hard pressed to name their hot air balloons ... I hope that people could perhaps think about the smiling face instead," Ms Turnbull said.

She insists her family will continue to fly the balloon over Canberra despite the ban, as it is one of their favourite places to travel. She was unsure about participating in the Balloon Spectacular next year as she did not expect the ruling to change.

"It is [Events ACT's] opinion that the public feeling is changing. They are a government organisation and they need to be aware of changing perceptions towards our Indigenous people," Ms Turnbull said.

Both the ACT government's Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs and the Chair of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elected Body were consulted in making the decision, Ms Verden said.

If she owns the balloon why the hell does she want the government to pay for altering it. Also very interesting surname although I could not find out if she's related to the previous PM.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

The owner and pilot of the hot air balloon, Kay Turnbull, said on Wednesday evening that her family and friends only ever refer to it by its official registered name, Black Magic. The term Golly more refers to its design.

I’m really interested in how this logic works exactly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The balloon can’t be racist—it has black friends!

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

A seasprite

Seasprite by Marc, on Flickr

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That's probably the coolest an SH-2 has ever looked.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I forget who asked me this ITT but to answer: amazingly, no, that's not a problem, you still can.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

I forget who asked me this ITT but to answer: amazingly, no, that's not a problem, you still can.

So if hypothetically you "require service animals" and have three ("up to three" is acceptable) miniature horses (which are acceptable "in some circumstances") which you need to travel with, do you need to pay for a seat for each of them?

How do they accommodate even a single miniature horse on an aircraft?

Or for that matter, getting back into the realms of more practical animals: if I have three regular-sized cats, where do they go? I suppose if you had a fully reclining seat you might be able to keep all three cats on top of yourself, but in economy I just don't see most people having enough level surfaces for three cats, even if the cats felt like staying where they're meant to go instead of running off and finding somewhere to hide like amongst the pedals in the cockpit (a thing that happened in our car once when someone borrowed our cat carrier for an extended period of time and then our cat needed to go to the vet).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Evidently miniature horses make excellent service animals (better memories and way longer lifespan than dogs), but *gently caress* people who'd bring something like that on board a plane as a ~emotional support animal~. It might be a miniature horse, but it's still a horse, and is very capable of loving someone up if it gets pissed off enough.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://i.imgur.com/JSDQLWZ.mp4

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Probably better behaved than some children i've shared a flight with

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I would love to see how an emotional support Alpaca is supposed to exit an emergency slide.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Probably better behaved than some children i've shared a flight with

While it might be in the aisle, it's not running up or down the aisle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I would love to see how an emotional support Alpaca is supposed to exit an emergency slide.

The air marshal shoots it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Remember when that person was denied boarding with her emotional support gerbil so she flushed it in the airport bathroom to catch her flight?

Needed a bigger animal I reckon.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I wonder if they would let Wally the emotional support alligator on a plane

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I wonder if they would let Wally the emotional support alligator on a plane

United will, as professional courtesy.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Not many details yet but an Ethiopian 737 Max went down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47513508

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
This is throwing me for a loop. According to flightradar it barely climbed for the three minutes it was airborne but steadily accelerated to nearly 400 knots :psyduck: As far as I can tell this was during daylight hours in good visibility as well. Knowing the 737 and assuming nothing is wrong with the aircraft this is impossible to do by accident in an aircraft trimmed for takeoff and pretty difficult to do on purpose. I'm reluctant to call a repeat of Lionair but looking at this it's hard to discount the possibility of more automatic pitch trim shenanigans.... Poor guys.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tsuru posted:

This is throwing me for a loop. According to flightradar it barely climbed for the three minutes it was airborne but steadily accelerated to nearly 400 knots :psyduck: As far as I can tell this was during daylight hours in good visibility as well. Knowing the 737 and assuming nothing is wrong with the aircraft this is impossible to do by accident in an aircraft trimmed for takeoff and pretty difficult to do on purpose. I'm reluctant to call a repeat of Lionair but looking at this it's hard to discount the possibility of more automatic pitch trim shenanigans.... Poor guys.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1104668693613764609

This graph says it starts at 0 ft, the airport is at 7657 ft elevation. I wondered if calibrated altitude was AGL, but this raw data shows that curve is probably smoothed out:

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1104676048317362177

It goes from 0 to +/- local elevation very fast, as is to expected, then has very unstable vertical speed without gaining much altitude. Thoughts and prayers from Boeing...

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 10, 2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hmm. Left the tape over the static ports after a wash maybe.
Atlas, Ethiopian, who's gonna be number 3? (or was that Lion?)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

A DC-3 has also crashed in Colombia:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c52f8b2&opt=0

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47513508

Photo here shows basically a massive crater where it went in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't think I'd fly on a max any time soon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fknlo posted:

I don't think I'd fly on a max any time soon.

If this turns out to be another technical issue, Boeing is a bit hosed, to be honest. I've flown on a MAX a few times now and it seemed really nice, but the record is against them right now. The executives must be making GBS threads bricks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think Boeing are too powerful and Ethiopian not powerful enough, I'm afraid. They can probably lawyer the consequences away.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

I think Boeing are too powerful and Ethiopian not powerful enough, I'm afraid. They can probably lawyer the consequences away.

I’m sure Ethiopia will invite the NTSB to assist, and if it ends up being a MCAS issue the FAA will take action. I’m not sure what Boeing’s lawyers are going to do here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m sure Ethiopia will invite the NTSB to assist, and if it ends up being a MCAS issue the FAA will take action. I’m not sure what Boeing’s lawyers are going to do here.

“CEO Dennis Boeing can just call someone at the White House to forestall any consequence since Boeing is an American jobs creator and it was mostly brown people who died” is what I anticipate here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lawyers can't fix bad publicity.

If I were in charge of an airline, I wouldn't be buying 737 Max after this.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This investigation might leak heavily, Boeing would prefer it be down to pilot error.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ethiopian is a big Boeing customer with a lot of money and a lot of support contracts and Boeing has a history of bending over backwards to make them happy. Y'all are presuming a lot. It's not going to be a case of "American Exceptionalism" stomping over the poor blighted brown folk, especially not when said folk are well paying customers in good standing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Ethiopian is a big Boeing customer with a lot of money and a lot of support contracts and Boeing has a history of bending over backwards to make them happy. Y'all are presuming a lot. It's not going to be a case of "American Exceptionalism" stomping over the poor blighted brown folk, especially not when said folk are well paying customers in good standing.

No, we're expecting Boeing to behave like it did the last time a pair of 737s went down due to a mechanical problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

No, we're expecting Boeing to behave like it did the last time a pair of 737s went down due to a mechanical problem.

TBH even in a case of "we're gonna sue you for egregious incompetence", and let's assume this suit produced undischargeable debt for Boeing, isn't the move to pull a GM?