Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Alhazred posted:

But they have tried everything else too. By that logic they should try custard cream pies because everything else have failed.

Lactose intolerance. The noisy killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dacascos also has him dead to rights in JW3, but John manages to get a hand on the Continental steps at the last moment. Which shouldn't have even mattered(he was excommunicado) if not for the fact that he was good friends with the concierge. He also would've been dead towards the end of JW3 if the two head goons didn't respect him based on reputation, they basically just wanted to have a fight but didn't really want him dead. He would've been dead yet again if one of the Bowery guys hadn't scooped him off the pavement and brought him underground.

A core part of the John Wick character is that he actually has a lot of friends and depends on them to survive. Not only that but he seems to have made a lot of these friends because of his choice not to kill, like in the case of the Bowery King or the bodyguard played by Kevin Nash. So he's the most prolific assassin ever in part because of who he doesn't kill, not just who he does kill.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

One thing with John Wick that maybe makes that slightly better is that all of the professionals wear those bullet proof suits. So the guys going after Wick probably have extra reason to try to get up close and personal for a perfect point blank shot, they would know that just shooting him a few times in the torso isn't gonna do anything.

That's also why he goes for headshots 99% of the time. When he assembled the pistol in JW2 he domed the guy at the door, then stabbed a lot of the other guys in the head. I thought it was kinda odd at first but then I remembered the bullet proof clothing. Not only do headshots end the fight quick, it's sometimes the only real vulnerable part that's an instakill. He has shot people in the legs before though, and then ran up to headshot then. Dude is very thorough if anything else.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

800peepee51doodoo posted:

In the first John Wick, he murders a thousand guys because of a dog. Yes, we all love dogs, they are the best but come on.

The dog given to him by his late wife which was his last connection to her.

The person he had given up his life of violence for and who had made him a better person and who he was still grieving for.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's also why he goes for headshots 99% of the time. When he assembled the pistol in JW2 he domed the guy at the door, then stabbed a lot of the other guys in the head. I thought it was kinda odd at first but then I remembered the bullet proof clothing. Not only do headshots end the fight quick, it's sometimes the only real vulnerable part that's an instakill. He has shot people in the legs before though, and then ran up to headshot then. Dude is very thorough if anything else.

That one guy hiding behind a pillar that he shoots in the foot in the first movie is a pretty fun bit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fil5000 posted:

That one guy hiding behind a pillar that he shoots in the foot in the first movie is a pretty fun bit.

The same sequence has him empty half a clip into the head of a big bearded dude. John likes to make sure.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah I love that one

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The dog given to him by his late wife which was his last connection to her.

The person he had given up his life of violence for and who had made him a better person and who he was still grieving for.

Honestly that character wise makes a lot of sense. Still think it would of been a better movie considering it's tone -probably more considering the tone of the later films as well- if there hadn't been a wife and no he just really loved that dog.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Grendels Dad posted:

The same sequence has him empty half a clip into the head of a big bearded dude. John likes to make sure.

The big beardy dude shows up in the final sequence of The Equalizer too, where Denzel murders him with a shard of mirror but he lasts a bit longer than he does in JW.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah Tait Fletcher, he was suddenly a goon who gets killed in a whole bunch of big movies. The Accountant as well

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My girlfriend's iimm is people who don't make sure the person they're trying to kill is actually dead, so she's a huge fan of John Wick.

In Pacific Rim there's a scene where a Jager appears to kill a monster and then goes to walk past its prone body, at which point my gf said "for gently caress's sake make sure it's dead before walking past it", and then it did, capping the monster right in the dome, and she literally stood up and cheered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breetai posted:

My girlfriend's iimm is people who don't make sure the person they're trying to kill is actually dead, so she's a huge fan of John Wick.

In Pacific Rim there's a scene where a Jager appears to kill a monster and then goes to walk past its prone body, at which point my gf said "for gently caress's sake make sure it's dead before walking past it", and then it did, capping the monster right in the dome, and she literally stood up and cheered.

Also fits too because the Kaiju are established as both being incredibly hard to kill and having all kinds of nasty surprises. Like the one that's pregnant.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not to mention that rear end in a top hat one that stole Ron perlman's shoe.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Breetai posted:

Movies love to tell us that being shot is pretty chill if you have a bridge to fall off. The nice refreshing plunge into a river heals people right up.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

nesamdoom posted:

Movies love to tell us that being shot is pretty chill if you have a bridge to fall off. The nice refreshing plunge into a river heals people right up.

Like in the Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge!

e: well, I guess he wasn't shot per se

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Breetai posted:

Barry had a scene where Sally is being strangled and at the point where it looks like she gives up, she stabs a guy through the neck out of nowhere. While he's shocked and still standing she goes and beats him to death with a bat. The whole series of events was pretty unexpected and quite gruesome, though not the first time they've depicted some very unpleasant violence despite the show being pretty comedic

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah Tait Fletcher, he was suddenly a goon who gets killed in a whole bunch of big movies. The Accountant as well

He actually gets to act a little bit in The Accountant because he has a scene with Affleck where he plays like that dawning realization of "oh poo poo wait a minute, this guy might be out of my league".

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Basebf555 posted:

Dacascos also has him dead to rights in JW3, but John manages to get a hand on the Continental steps at the last moment.

He got home and yelled 'Home base!!' so the fighting had to stop

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
God do I love Noho Hank.

I gotta watch this new season.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Marcade posted:

Lactose intolerance. The noisy killer.

Misfits used lactose intolerance as a plot device in the dumbest (best) possible way imo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s in lots of movies but I noticed in John Wick 2 when he’s down in the subway station fighting Cassian after taking care of other assassins, the station is relatively clean and not covered in piss and feces as all subway stations are.

It’s a Common mistake.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

oldpainless posted:

It’s in lots of movies but I noticed in John Wick 2 when he’s down in the subway station fighting Cassian after taking care of other assassins, the station is relatively clean and not covered in piss and feces as all subway stations are.

It’s a Common mistake.

It's Assassin City, pissing in public probably gets you excommunicado.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

oldpainless posted:

It’s a Common mistake.

More like old get your head right and get up on this conscious dick less

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

More like old get your head right and get up on this conscious dick less

:captainpop: fuckin' lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oldpainless posted:

It’s a Common mistake.

That’s the fairly new WTC station so it really is that white and clean. Give it another decade.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Mummy (the good one): When the gang discovers Imhotep's corpse, Evie explains that scarabs eat bodies slowly over a long period of time, thus prolonging his suffering, allowing him to scratch at the inside of the sarcophagus, and such. However, every other time more than one of them are on screen - including when they're poured over Imhotep's body in the intro! - they're shown devouring the unfortunate victim in like three seconds flat.

The movie overall is still a really fun watch, but that did jump out to me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

The Mummy (the good one): When the gang discovers Imhotep's corpse, Evie explains that scarabs eat bodies slowly over a long period of time, thus prolonging his suffering, allowing him to scratch at the inside of the sarcophagus, and such. However, every other time more than one of them are on screen - including when they're poured over Imhotep's body in the intro! - they're shown devouring the unfortunate victim in like three seconds flat.

The movie overall is still a really fun watch, but that did jump out to me.

It was a specific and deeply feared punishment they did to him right? I think the implication was there was something special with the shroud they wrapped him in and the lock they put on the coffin that meant he was basically stuck in the being devoured state rather than actually dying. It's a magic punishment basically.

Now, I do always find it irrationally irritating when a "punishment" keeps someone alive and in such a state where if they do get out, they will be an unstoppable, immortal, killing machine. Seems like an error, just make it so if the seal is ever broken, they get killed even harder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The scarabs that slowly ate Imotep were real bugs, the scarabs that show up during the events of the movie are Imotep's Evil Magic Bugs.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Now, I do always find it irrationally irritating when a "punishment" keeps someone alive and in such a state where if they do get out, they will be an unstoppable, immortal, killing machine. Seems like an error, just make it so if the seal is ever broken, they get killed even harder.

I rather like that, it's very cosmic horror. Everything about the situation is hosed up, so we are going to invoke unknowable awful poo poo and if things go wrong, they go wrong HARD to reflect that the situation is hosed up.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Goontube recently had the Mummy Trilogy on. the 3rd movie is actually pretty okay and fine.

my tiniest IIMM is i hate the token romance adult Alex has with his 5000 yearold girlfriend. I just hate the concept of a mayfly December romance.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The first Mummy was just so much fun. Everyone knew the kind of movie they were making and knew exactly what to do. I watched it again recently and realized it still puts a big stupid grin on my face the entire time.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

nesamdoom posted:

I'm thinking of Skyfall, where Bond gets shot through the torso (which alone would be enough to kill you) then falls like two hundred feet from a bridge (which alone would be enough to kill you) then goes over a waterfall (which alone would be enough to kill you) then sinks completely unresponsive (which alone would be enough to kill you). And in his very next scene he's fine and they never even try to explain it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
HEY RICK! LOOKS LIKE IM GOT ALL THE HORSES!

Hey Benny! It looks like you're on the wrong side of the river!

such a fun exchange.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The first Mummy was just so much fun. Everyone knew the kind of movie they were making and knew exactly what to do. I watched it again recently and realized it still puts a big stupid grin on my face the entire time.

Brenden Fraser was such a charming actor

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stonehouse Beach posted:

I'm thinking of Skyfall, where Bond gets shot through the torso (which alone would be enough to kill you) then falls like two hundred feet from a bridge (which alone would be enough to kill you) then goes over a waterfall (which alone would be enough to kill you) then sinks completely unresponsive (which alone would be enough to kill you). And in his very next scene he's fine and they never even try to explain it.

So mortal injuries work like basic maths, when you do the equation all the moral injuries here actually just cancel each other out. They obviously did their homework on this one.

This is why surgery works, if someones about to die of some organ or other being garbage or what not, you just stab the patient a lot with a scalpel for an hour or two.

Trust me I'm a doctor, most modern medicine works on this principle.

and yeah Benny's great. On paper he seems like he should be hugely annoying, but O'conner plays he just so well.

Big fan of Sommers earlier film, Deep rising as well. Not as good but found it to be a greaty trashy horror film, but it seems pretty forgotten now days.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

After 4 movies the most unbelievable thing is that anyone hosed with a stranger in the first place. A third of the population is part of the secret assassins club. You don't mess with a guy with a cool car because of course he is connected.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Pretty much this. You watch something like The mummy and it looks like every single person there is having a great time doing what they're doing.

I remember an interview where the guy that played Imhotep said he was waiting for the scene where you see his lover in all gold, and instead Brandon Fraser was there in her costume and covered in gold paint.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

dr_rat posted:

Big fan of Sommers earlier film, Deep rising as well. Not as good but found it to be a greaty trashy horror film, but it seems pretty forgotten now days.

I remember that film! Half Digested Billy will occasionally give me nightmares to this day. Also, the ending of "NOW WHAT!!?!?" was perfect.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CaptainCrunch posted:

the ending of "NOW WHAT!!?!?" was perfect.

You're thinking of Finding Nemo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Improbable Lobster posted:

Brenden Fraser was such a charming actor

Is such a charming actor.