Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Honest question where are you getting your sources half of what you post comes from entirely questionable sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Honest question where are you getting your sources half of what you post comes from entirely questionable sources.

It's called Twitter and it sucks so bad that they might put Elon Musk in charge of the entire thing soon.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Vox Nihili posted:

It's called Twitter and it sucks so bad that they might put Elon Musk in charge of the entire thing soon.

Did you hear that if Elon Musk gets Twitter he's giving back Trump his account

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

socialsecurity posted:

I have an OSINT aggregator aggregator. It aggregates the OSINT aggregators and gives me the fullest picture of all the allcaps breaking news.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://ria.ru/20220511/naemniki-1787815795.html

Russia is probably going to execute foreign fighters from Azov (or just any battalion). Cossack Gundi is doomed prob

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Willo567 posted:

Wonder what the whole "imma buy twitter for freedom of speech" will amount to when people start accounts tracking Elon's every movement.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MassiveSky posted:

Wonder what the whole "imma buy twitter for freedom of speech" will amount to when people start accounts tracking Elon's every movement.

You don't have to wait, he specifically bought Twitter because he was mad Twitter wasn't cracking down on those accounts enough.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Yep, I follow all of this idiotic stuff way too closely. Although it remains to be seen whether the whole take-private deal actually happens. Buying a large public company is a huge undertaking and the words that dribble out of Elon's mouth often bear little resemblance to the reality on the ground.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

the holy poopacy posted:

I assume that the logic is that the West would automatically escalate to full scale nuclear war in response to tactical nukes that Russia would use in that scenario

May I ask why you think NATO is automatically going to escalate to WW3 in that scenario, considering they're hell bent on avoiding it and that the Biden administration is worried about the possibility already?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

You don't have to wait, he specifically bought Twitter because he was mad Twitter wasn't cracking down on those accounts enough.

He literally offered the kid running the account that automatically tweeted out the flight plan destinations of his private jet $44k to shut down the account. When the kid told him to get hosed, he then offered Twitter $44 billion to just buy the whole platform.

(Also this is apparently a rebound rage buy because he’s mad that Grimes left him for Chelsea Manning)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

May I ask why you think NATO is automatically going to escalate to WW3 in that scenario, considering they're hell bent on avoiding it and that the Biden administration is worried about the possibility already?

You could but it would be useless because I don't think that, I was just trying to extrapolate from the crazy nuke guy's posts (because it seems like a more generous assumption than assuming he means that the instant Russia sees the faintest shadow of a potential military threat they will immediately launch every missile in their arsenal.)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ISW Baybeee
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1524179979919048709?s=20&t=Ld4hlQ55mHecKiKXnjT1fQ
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-10
Selections

quote:

Key Takeaways
  • The Ukrainian counteroffensive in northern Kharkiv took further ground and have possibly closed to within 10km of the Russian border.
  • Belarusian authorities are escalating rhetoric accusing NATO and the US of threatening Belarusian borders, but Belarus remains unlikely to join the war.
  • Russian operations around Izyum remain stalled.
  • DNR and Russian forces are advancing efforts to consolidate their control of the ruins of Mariupol, including reportedly attempting to reopen steel plants to produce military equipment.
  • Russian forces in eastern Ukraine continued attempts to encircle the Severodonetsk area and reportedly reached the Donetsk-Luhansk administrative border from Popasna.
  • Russian and Ukrainian forces did not conduct any significant attacks on the southern axis.
Russian forces did not make any confirmed advances in any direction from Izyum on May 10. The Ukrainian General Staff stated that Russian forces around Izyum are focusing on regrouping, replenishing equipment, and conducting reconnaissance to create conditions for renewed offensives east towards Lyman and Slovyansk.[8]

Russian forces continued ground attacks and shelling along the line of contact in Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts and made marginal westward advances on May 10. The Russian Ministry of Defense claimed that Russian forces moved west from Popasna and reached the administrative border of Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts, though ISW cannot independently confirm this claim.
The Borivka Village Council reported that Russian forces are withdrawing en masse from Borova and Bohuslavka, southeast Kharkiv Oblast, and moving north in the direction of Kupyansk.[23] Russian forces are likely prioritizing reinforcing their grouping northeast of Kharkiv to prevent further Ukrainian counteroffensives in the direction of the international border at the expense of offensive operations to the southeast.

Also some background from one of the ISW writer people, including items that were *not* included in the update. Spoilers for tomorrow perhaps
https://twitter.com/georgewbarros/status/1524188298985365504?s=20&t=Ld4hlQ55mHecKiKXnjT1fQ
https://twitter.com/georgewbarros/status/1524189895320903680?s=20&t=Ld4hlQ55mHecKiKXnjT1fQ
There's more in his thread, big recommend

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Double post for more maaaaaps
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1524177743084142592?s=20&t=Ld4hlQ55mHecKiKXnjT1fQ
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1524177762721931264?s=20&t=Ld4hlQ55mHecKiKXnjT1fQ
Also list of goodies from the US that are now in Ukraine
https://twitter.com/adegrandpre/status/1524186797625982976?s=20&t=Ld4hlQ55mHecKiKXnjT1fQ
Tag Urself Im Hundreds of Armored High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I would doubt Vovchansk 'cause river and because it's huge as its on rail. Probably gonna have way more stuff guarding it than random villages.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

OddObserver posted:

I would doubt Vovchansk 'cause river and because it's huge as its on rail. Probably gonna have way more stuff guarding it than random villages.

That would also mean that they were literally behind Russia's main force pushing south from Izyum. If that happened Russia would be done.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

KitConstantine posted:

Double post for more maaaaaps

Also list of goodies from the US that are now in Ukraine
https://twitter.com/adegrandpre/status/1524186797625982976?s=20&t=Ld4hlQ55mHecKiKXnjT1fQ
Tag Urself Im Hundreds of Armored High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles

Thank you for your service maps man.

Mods please rename me to ‘Phoenix Ghost Tactiloool’

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

Ukraine is not winning, they are fighting a bitter war against Russia. They are not losing either, but every day more people die. .... You have the brainworms if you think that this war will end by any other means than negotiations.

Every week that goes by on this war, a lot of people feel compelled to carve out a new niche of revised definitions that can be deployed to claim that what russia is doing can be called "not losing, per se"

The upper conceivable boundary of what land russia can hold in the medium to long term dwindles, their large scale operational intent (like sweeping across the coast) bank down from improbability to impossibility, and their operational cohesion shows that they're losing their window of opportunity to do more than just squat on the separatist districts and be bled by an opponent with deeper resolve than they ever had

Why we gotta look at this like that it's impossible that russia is in a situation where time and attrition disfavors it, and that Ukraine needs to jump onto the negotiation train and beseech russia to offer favorable terms

How many weeks ago was it "Ukraine needs to surrender, they gain nothing from pretending the sacrifice they are making will save their country"

And in how many weeks can we retire "Ukraine must give russia something ... it can't end any other way except placating them with some sacrifice to give putin an out"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If they did infact take vovchansk that is a creates a very bad situation for izyum. Encircling and destroying the izyum BTGs would be a major turning point in the war in terms of how quickly """"the collapse"""" would come after or it would be accelerated

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The military aid package has passed the House 368-57: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/10/congress-ukraine-aid-package-00031366

quote:

Under the Ukraine aid plan, the nearly $40 billion total goes beyond Biden’s request for $33 billion, a sum that was already expected to be transformative for both the Ukrainian military and NATO allies. The almost $40 billion total amounts to more than 5 percent of the United States’ entire national security budget of $782 billion, and lawmakers opted to include even more funding for military and humanitarian programs than Biden had originally requested.
The bill would authorize up to $11 billion worth of transfers of weapons and equipment to Ukraine drawn directly from U.S. military stockpiles.

The Biden administration has used the process, known as drawdown authority, to get equipment and weapons to Ukraine quickly — most notably to arm them with Javelin anti-tank and Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, drones and ammunition. The White House has warned that the current $3.5 billion in drawdown authority has nearly been exhausted.

The package also includes nearly $20 billion for the Pentagon. That includes $8.7 billion to replenish weapons inventories sent to the front lines, $3.3 billion more than the administration requested. And $6 billion would go to the Pentagon’s main account to arm Ukraine’s military, along with $3.9 billion for increased troop deployments and other military operations in Europe to bolster NATO.
For reference, Ukraine's defense spending in 2021 was $5.9 billion.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Staluigi posted:

And in how many weeks can we retire "Ukraine must give russia something ... it can't end any other way except placating them with some sacrifice to give putin an out"
I’m still surprised at how often I run across this when I suggest the war could end tomorrow if Russia pulled back to Ukraine’s internationally recognized borders. I get told “that’s not how things work” and that we can’t expect Russia to just leave Ukraine without getting something in return.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Looking at the summary of equipment the US is sending, that is a lot of artillery. 90 guns is enough to outfit 5 NATO artillery battalions, or the organic artillery of 5 light infantry brigades. 75K sets of body armor should mean that drat near every Ukrainian soldier in direct contact has body armor. That's 15 brigades worth of armor. And I don't think they started with 0.

The $3.9B in the latest appropriation for US troop deployments is enough for 4-6 brigade combat teams, assuming the Air Force and Navy are free. (They're not: I just have no frame of reference for what it costs to keep them deployed, but remember it cost ~%500M/year to keep a brigade in Kuwait in the late 90s and early 2000's). I think the US currently has 1 x Armored BCT in Poland and 1 x Light BCT in Poland. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another 2-4 get deployed as well. It takes ~30 days for ships to get from Texas to Kuwait, so maybe a bit less than that to ports in the Baltic? European rail lines are probably the limiting factor.

I'm speculating, of course.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Staluigi posted:

How many weeks ago was it "Ukraine needs to surrender, they gain nothing from pretending the sacrifice they are making will save their country"

You seem to think that I have said anything to that effect when I have never said or thought that Ukraine should surrender, nor do I think that Ukraine should give Russia 'something'. Why is the idea that NEGOTIATIONS FOR A PEACE OR ARMISTICE is an impossible concept for some I just don't get. It will take a while before Russia starts making concessions, so I'm not expecting any quick results though.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
If and hopefully when us sends more ABCTs to call Putins nuke bluff they wont ship their tanks. The ABCT that last rolled in used European preposotion Stocks. That means deployment time of days If everything goes to plan, not weeks.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If they did infact take vovchansk that is a creates a very bad situation for izyum. Encircling and destroying the izyum BTGs would be a major turning point in the war in terms of how quickly """"the collapse"""" would come after or it would be accelerated
It seems to me, prudent and rational, to wait until the Russian feint is completed, before anticipating this so called "collapse".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the popes toes posted:

It seems to me, prudent and rational, to wait until the Russian feint is completed, before anticipating this so called "collapse".

I mean the collapse of the offensive. I put this in scare quotes for a reason.

Russia has been pulling out of the Kharkiv offensive for a few weeks and it looks like it's close to completion. So this was an organized retreat.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Why is the idea that NEGOTIATIONS FOR A PEACE OR ARMISTICE is an impossible concept for some I just don't get. It will take a while before Russia starts making concessions, so I'm not expecting any quick results though.
Yeah. All wars end by negotiation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I mean the collapse of the offensive. I put this in scare quotes for a reason.

Russia has been pulling out of the Kharkiv offensive for a few weeks and it looks like it's close to completion. So this was an organized retreat.
I was taking the piss. I'm sure somewhere there's someone claiming it's all a feint, we can't even see the noose, it's hidden so well. On the other hand, reversals are not out of the question, for either side.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Valtonen posted:

If and hopefully when us sends more ABCTs to call Putins nuke bluff they wont ship their tanks. The ABCT that last rolled in used European preposotion Stocks. That means deployment time of days If everything goes to plan, not weeks.

Good point. I'm unsure how much the US has pre-positioned in Europe these days.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

drat, being in the US now, this feels weird as gently caress to see at like midnight.

Also I think we should change these posts to "Moscow is still Russian"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Another dawn breaks. 26 days remaining.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It remains baffling to me that people here, even moderators, want Ukraine to surrender because that is just their place. UKRAINE WILL WIN. They will gently caress Russia's mother and Putin's too. loving tankies

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

Why is the idea that NEGOTIATIONS FOR A PEACE OR ARMISTICE is an impossible concept for some I just don't get.

Nobody actually thinks this.

Staluigi posted:

I mean, I think it's quite safe for Ukraine to give Russia the finger. Maybe even two.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HonorableTB posted:

It remains baffling to me that people here, even moderators, want Ukraine to surrender because that is just their place. UKRAINE WILL WIN. They will gently caress Russia's mother and Putin's too. loving tankies

are u ok

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

I don't think this is fair. Everyone here, along with everyone in the Western world in the last 40 years or so, grew up thinking that Russia were a superpower who had (at least) the second most effective military in the world and a much higher willingness to push the nuke button than anyone in the civilized West.

It's not that people think Ukraine should know their place. It's because people have, at the back of their minds, the thought that this surely can't be it. That Russia must have something up their sleeve. That the great demon surely can't have been slain this easily.

It's honestly a really difficult thing to get your head around.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

sebmojo posted:

are u ok

I'm perfectly fine. My opinions are based on the day to day intelligence and information we have. Why do you feel like you can poo poo on me?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I don't think this is fair. Everyone here, along with everyone in the Western world in the last 40 years or so, grew up thinking that Russia were a superpower who had (at least) the second most effective military in the world and a much higher willingness to push the nuke button than anyone in the civilized West.

It's not that people think Ukraine should know their place. It's because people have, at the back of their minds, the thought that this surely can't be it. That Russia must have something up their sleeve. That the great demon surely can't have been slain this easily.

It's honestly a really difficult thing to get your head around.

I lived in Russia for two years. My opinions are based off of living there combined with current events. Russia's military is poo poo. Their government is poo poo. They cannot win this war.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Nenonen posted:

You seem to think that I have said anything to that effect when I have never said or thought that Ukraine should surrender, nor do I think that Ukraine should give Russia 'something'. Why is the idea that NEGOTIATIONS FOR A PEACE OR ARMISTICE is an impossible concept for some I just don't get. It will take a while before Russia starts making concessions, so I'm not expecting any quick results though.

It's obvious that both Ukraine and Russia would like to negotiate an immediate end to the war but so far simply have incompatible demands for a peace agreement. Eventually that will change one way or the other.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

I lived in Russia for two years. My opinions are based off of living there combined with current events. Russia's military is poo poo. Their government is poo poo. They cannot win this war.

We know, but we spent decades thinking the exact opposite and it's hard to break those connections in your brain. Most experts thought Ukraine had a week at best at the start of this war. European leaders were offering to host a government in exile.

It's unfair to call people tankies or get mad at them for not fully accepting Russia can't be *this* bad. It's like waking up one morning and realizing the sky is pink and thinking it was blue all this time was a misapprehension.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

It's like waking up one morning and realizing the forums are full of pinkos and thinking they were arguing in good faith all this time was a misapprehension.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

We know, but we spent decades thinking the exact opposite and it's hard to break those connections in your brain. Most experts thought Ukraine had a week at best at the start of this war. European leaders were offering to host a government in exile.

It's unfair to call people tankies or get mad at them for not fully accepting Russia can't be *this* bad. It's like waking up one morning and realizing the sky is pink and thinking it was blue all this time was a misapprehension.

I understand your point and I agree that it can be hard to wrap your objective mind around that if you don't have the experience. I'm calling out sebmojo for trying to roast me without anything to back it up. Your point is valid based off of Cold War history