Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

There Bias Two posted:

But also, why? It's mostly empty space. Can't they do all their science stuff basically anywhere?

I don't understand the motivation at all.

:shrug:

I assume the seed bismuth must be central to whatever the ultimate goal of the court is, but they’re both incredibly vague and unknown at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IUG posted:

And pages later we see the city as just rocks. The humans weren’t even there yet.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics/comic.php?c=Coyote&p=32

I’m guessing the humans moved in at some point, and since Coyote was already there, the humans are betting that Coyote won’t care if they leave. They’re probably wrong though.
You're missing some metaphors. Those ants aren't ants.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Snake Maze posted:

:shrug:

I assume the seed bismuth must be central to whatever the ultimate goal of the court is, but they’re both incredibly vague and unknown at the moment.

That's what I was thinking. The court grows itself, the humans don't build it. If they're going to build a new court, one they can control completely, they'll need to create their own seed bismuth, which must require a lot of etheric energy. But they want to be able to control that ether, without etheric beings manipulating it, potentially against their goals, so they can't have non-humans who could (intentionally or not) interfere with their aims. Aata using his powers would be bad because it would draw on the ether in a way the court can't control, so the only way he can stay in the court is by not using his powers. They're trying to create a new seed bismuth and lock down the ether for themselves.

Now to see where the clearly etheric-influencing humans figure into this.

OlaOst
Oct 17, 2012

So the court needs a power source, maybe they made a deal with Zimmy? Maybe Annie didn't get merged?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's why they were keeping Reynard around I suppose.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm an outlier and I hope we get more Shadowmen and Adults and Shell.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Donkringel posted:

What

What the gently caress are these?

Are these fan comi- no it's on the site...

Have there been side comics all these years I've never read?

Holy poo poo I've got a lot of reading to do.

Thank you.

They were also available as physical comics when they first came out. They're nice, much larger than any other comic book issues I've purchased (so much so that they're larger than any comic book protector I've found), and Coyote's was one of my favorites. Traveller will rip out your heart.

Also, I took the ants to be pre-historic man, not modern day man. Somewhere between cavemen and dark ages. And whatever the Seed Bismuth was at this point, it sure wasn't the city that humans inhabit today. And the point stands that Coyote wasn't interested in the "ants" until he saw how Rey was.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

IUG posted:

They were also available as physical comics when they first came out. They're nice, much larger than any other comic book issues I've purchased (so much so that they're larger than any comic book protector I've found), and Coyote's was one of my favorites. Traveller will rip out your heart.

Also, I took the ants to be pre-historic man, not modern day man. Somewhere between cavemen and dark ages. And whatever the Seed Bismuth was at this point, it sure wasn't the city that humans inhabit today. And the point stands that Coyote wasn't interested in the "ants" until he saw how Rey was.

The dividing part happened when the Court existed. See here:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=650

Which would correlate here:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics/comic.php?c=Coyote&p=31

So it was long enough to happen in Jeanne's lifetime, but that's an unknown amount of time, and likely before Jones joined the Court.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IUG posted:

Nah you've definitely forgotten some details from the comic itself. The formation of the court happened sometime in the 1700s-1800s and pre-dates Coyote's arrival.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Regy Rusty posted:

Nah you've definitely forgotten some details from the comic itself. The formation of the court happened sometime in the 1700s-1800s and pre-dates Coyote's arrival.

It's entirely possible within this setting that Coyote was also there before he arrived.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In addition to what Cavatica posted here are some other refreshers:

Jones tells Annie the story of the court's founding:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=371

Coyote tells Annie an abbreviated version of the Coyote extra comic, with the second page containing his description of creating the Annan waters to solve the conflict between the two sides:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=488
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=489

And we've even seen remnants of the Court's buildings that grew from the Seed Bismuth still on the far side of the river:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1241

Very much not prehistoric.

Note also that the termite mound from the Coyote extra comic has bismuth crystals in it. It's very much intended to be the Court full grown and thriving now that Coyote has cut them off from the forest.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I guess at least the extra comic lets us know who will be waiting on the other side of the ocean: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics/comic.php?c=Coyote&p=5

It's Coyote!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah sorry, I guess I misremembered some details and had the Coyote comic more fresh in mind. But I got someone else to read all the bonus comics for the first time, so there’s that at least.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Oh snap, the move across the ocean was orchestrated by Paz!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
If the comic ends with the court moved, everyone breathing a sigh of relief to have left the forest, and then Coyote with a groucho marx mustache saying “hi new neighbour” I will forgive everything.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

coolusername posted:

If the comic ends with the court moved, everyone breathing a sigh of relief to have left the forest, and then Coyote with a groucho marx mustache saying “hi new neighbour” I will forgive everything.
Nah, they'll escape Coyote, only to have to deal with Raven at the new site.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

This is assault

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh look! It's Zim Zams! Hi Zim Zams!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She seems to be doing...... well

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Regy Rusty posted:

She seems to be doing...... well

:hmmyes: Yes, I see. :frogon:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I get the feeling Zimmy

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I wonder what the fairies are seeing.

also:

hell.., same

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Love this page. Both fairies and Zimmy have such a strong vibe. Seeing those moods bounce off each other is great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yup, that just about sums up the human condition. Nicely done Zimmy!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
What the hell.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrErig6oBno

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

After how much we remember that chapter for being a bit of a damp squib I'd forgotten the first half of it with Anya and Brinnie was actually pretty fun.

I think in the end there's not really anything wrong with the chapter in isolation, it had just been too long since the tic-tocs had ever been relevant. There wasn't any emotional weight left in the mystery so bringing them up again just to answer that question wasn't very satisfying. Probably didn't help that Kat's emotional arc through this period had been pretty poorly communicated for big a part it played.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
My problem with that chapter is there were all kinds of cool theories about how the tic tocs worked and what actually happened didn't measure up to that for me. The way it was resolved didn't feel particularly earned, and the resolution didn't feel like it had a payoff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, other characters were acting like Kat had accomplished something rather than just having the answer handed to her without ever actually gaining any power over time herself.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The TicToc thing may not be over. The Robots have legends of it stretching back much further than she went in that chapter.

I could see Kat reverse engineering time travel from the readings she took and using it in a time of need.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 22, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The TikTok thing may not be over. The Robots have legends of it stretching back much further than she went in that chapter.

I could see Kat reverse engineering time travel from the readings she took and using it in a time of need.

The thig that makes the Tic Tocs feel "over" is that Tom specifically showed in that chapter that every single previous depiction of Tic Tocs in the comic was accounted for. No incidental background appearances were glossed over, no appearances were added here that weren't previously depicted -- the chapter went through an efficient-and-thorough tour of their entire catalogue of cameos.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ditocoaf posted:

The thig that makes the Tic Tocs feel "over" is that Tom specifically showed in that chapter that every single previous depiction of Tic Tocs in the comic was accounted for. No incidental background appearances were glossed over, no appearances were added here that weren't previously depicted -- the chapter went through an efficient-and-thorough tour of their entire catalogue of cameos.
Yup, exactly. It was the start of cool stuff being wrapped up real pat in a nice bow in ways that make no sense and removes what made it cool. The tictocs as one single bird Kat made that exists simultaneously in multiple points in the time stream? Coolcool. All of those times being within the past 20 years coming to like 10 tictoc sightings total? Which clashes pretty hard with previous hard fact statements within the comic? And the whole "it grew into a weird thing" being completely unaddressed? What the christ Tom, that's 90s marvel/dc level writing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Splicer posted:

Yup, exactly. It was the start of cool stuff being wrapped up real pat in a nice bow in ways that make no sense and removes what made it cool. The tictocs as one single bird Kat made that exists simultaneously in multiple points in the time stream? Coolcool. All of those times being within the past 20 years coming to like 10 tictoc sightings total? Which clashes pretty hard with previous hard fact statements within the comic? And the whole "it grew into a weird thing" being completely unaddressed? What the christ Tom, that's 90s marvel/dc level writing.

even if kat was responsible for the tictocs appearances, the fact that she had literally nothing to do with the time travel part is just ridiculous. like this was a literal deus ex machina.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Squidward?!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I see Tom somehow found an image of me in the morning.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

"It's this guy!"

Who the hell is that?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This guy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the dover demon!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

"It's this guy!"

Who the hell is that?

Man Eglamore has really let himself go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU