Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Faith in Despair, an odd Build Your Own Card Deckliker with some auto-battle elements now has: A Battle Log

https://muddasheep.itch.io/faith-in-despair

quote:

Faith in Despair is a roguelike deckbuilder with auto-battle elements.

🎴 Build your own cards
🧙‍♂️ Seek game-breaking synergies
😈 Obliterate Satan's army of demons

▶ Features:

3 chapters with random maps and enemies (you win a run after the 3rd boss)
~100 lacrima to customize cards
10 handcrafted boss cards
23 handcrafted blessing cards
~80 new sounds
3 music tracks
The full version will include more of everything!

▶ Quick tips:

Go to "Inventory" where you can build your own cards using so-called lacrima (triggers, actions and modifiers)
In fights, place creatures to block incoming damage
You can switch lanes of already placed creatures
Blessings are always active, they get played whenever they're triggered
▶ Shortcuts / Controls:

Quick select for cards in hand: keyboard numbers 1-9
C: End turn
Full controller support (see Pause Menu > Options > Control).

The new battle log will provide answers as to why creatures died or why a run was lost:

Added battle log (new button in upper right corner)
Improved enemy stack visuals, so it should be a bit clearer whether there are enemies left in the stack (thanks NowOnTest and Baxil)
Lacrima that are activated by chance show their value now when hovering over them in satchels (i.e. Capture 10% shows value of 5)
Broken spells no longer show a sell price in shop (thanks Auri)
Hovering over a map fragment when choosing between two fragments now shows icon infos (thanks kabukistar)
Spell costs have been halved, rounded up. I.e. spells with 1 slot cost 1 despair, spells with 5 slots cost 3 despair
Removed Flying and FirstStrike from treasure rewards
Show dots in inventory for pages below cards instead of "1 / X"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't browse Games, I just have a few threads bookmarked, so if all the roguelikes go to their own threads I'll never know what to buy :ohdear:

And no I won't change.

Hell yeah thread brother!

For content I've been eyeballing this game but haven't pulled the trigger, seems like something I'd like it's a card drafting turn based mystery dungeon. I bounced off shiren but really liked chocobo mystery dungeon so maybe this one will scratch my casual itch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1824580/Dungeon_Drafters

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Rogue Voltage is finally out in EA with a Demo---unhinged module wrangling without the financial ruin that normally accompanies such an endeavor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494560/Rogue_Voltage/

Oh hey I've had my eye on this one for awhile but then forgot about it when it went silent for several months. I'm really intrigued by this game's concept.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh hey I've had my eye on this one for awhile but then forgot about it when it went silent for several months. I'm really intrigued by this game's concept.

I’m going to get this but I’m worried I’ll refund it for being too complex since I’m not good at programming. I’m hoping the game eases you into it very gradually

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Faith in Despair, an odd Build Your Own Card Deckliker with some auto-battle elements now has: A Battle Log

https://muddasheep.itch.io/faith-in-despair

deck builder/autobattler sounds like a neat combo!

speaking of "autobattlers" i have been waiting since 1999 for someone to take the autobattling design principles present in Ogre Battle 64 and apply them to something more modern. I think a roguelike/lite with ogre battle's combat and class systems would cause me to forget about food and my family

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
On the frenetic side, Indonesia has stepped up with a demo to bring action back, with Asbak~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2932110/Asbak/

quote:

Asbak is a hack n' slash action roguelike platformer. Exorcise the demons lurking in urban Indonesia. BE FEARLESS!

Asbak is a fast-paced hack and slash platformer that blends the thrilling spontaneity of a roguelike, the engrossing depth of a character-action RPG, the gripping narrative drive of a story game, and an inviting community. You'll follow the story of Mandraguna LTD, a corporation of Exorcists operating out of urban Indonesia, after the entire country was overrun by Demons due to a world-shattering event which tore apart the veil between our physical world and the paranormal realm.

Build an Agency of Exorcists.
Foster a team of demon hunters by forming contracts with Sorcerers, humans gifted in the paranormal. You will encounter strange and enigmatic characters such as Sam, the teleporting swordsman who wields a paper katana, and Asep, the surgical oncologist who commands an army of grim reapers.

Hack and Slash through hordes of Demons.
Tasked with exorcising demonic entities, your reflexes and combat prowess will be tested as you face off against giant bear-faced Genderuwo, pyrokinetic Pocong, and many other fearsome beasts of Indonesian legend.
Recover mysterious and powerful Artifacts.
During your missions, you will unearth anomalies ranging from innocuous trinkets to reality-bending Artifacts of mass destruction. You may exploit the god-like powers sealed within, or, sell them off to the highest bidder. You are running a for-profit, after all.

Immerse yourself in Indonesian Superstition.
Encounter distinctively Indonesian themes as you go on missions all across the country's many islands. And along the way, you will uncover the secrets of the paranormal realm and a bizarre conspiracy that's been looming over the entire nation.
Compete and Cooperate in the Community.
Battle for the top times on the leaderboard, invite fellow Exorcists to go on missions, and participate in seasonal events for exclusive prizes. Asbak provides a warm community of likeminded demon-hunters, which you can opt out of if you'd rather go solo instead.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Hooplah posted:

speaking of "autobattlers" i have been waiting since 1999 for someone to take the autobattling design principles present in Ogre Battle 64 and apply them to something more modern. I think a roguelike/lite with ogre battle's combat and class systems would cause me to forget about food and my family

not a roguelike/lite but unicorn overlord's battle system is basically an expansion of ogre battles'

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

baram. posted:

not a roguelike/lite but unicorn overlord's battle system is basically an expansion of ogre battles'

Cool, that really does look like the spiritual successor to OB64 i've been waiting 20 years for. too bad i haven't had a console since my old 3ds

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unicorn Overlord is a cool as hell game but it has the problem of never getting difficult enough to incentivize engaging with most of its systems. A roguelite version of it would be one of my dream games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unicorn Overlord has an extremely loving cool combat system, but yeah, the game is way too easy and it quickly devolves into just sending one god-squad into the boss and then having a nap while you're winning.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

OB64 had a similar design problem. unfortunately this "genre" (such as it exists) doesn't seem to have cribbed enough from more dedicated tactical games. I bet it could use a fatigue/wound system similar to XCOM 2

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

drink_bleach posted:

Hell yeah thread brother!

For content I've been eyeballing this game but haven't pulled the trigger, seems like something I'd like it's a card drafting turn based mystery dungeon. I bounced off shiren but really liked chocobo mystery dungeon so maybe this one will scratch my casual itch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1824580/Dungeon_Drafters

I coincidentally just started poking at Dungeon Drafters last night. Too early for me to have any deep insights, but I love the aesthetics of it, it reminds me of the middle bits of Inscryption in a good way.

One early complaint is that it pulls the Dark Souls move of having a surprise forced death at the end of the tutorial, which felt particularly rude within the context of a roguelike.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

baram. posted:

It would be slam dunk my GOTY if it had an actual difficulty mode.

Hooplah posted:

Cool, that really does look like the spiritual successor to OB64 i've been waiting 20 years for. too bad i haven't had a console since my old 3ds

Vanillaware will never, ever release a game for the PC. That said, Unicorn Overlord runs perfectly on the Steam Deck

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Did Dungeon Drafters ever get good controller support? I wish-listed awhile ago since it looked interesting to me, but I heard the controls were janky.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Hello have they stopped removing poo poo from DCSS

I know this is from two pages back, but I got to say that for as much as they've removed they've added a lot of good changes. I was a holdout who didn't like the updates but I've had a lot of fun jumping back in

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

dcss is better without purple meat. fight me

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lakbay posted:

I’m going to get this but I’m worried I’ll refund it for being too complex since I’m not good at programming. I’m hoping the game eases you into it very gradually

when i played the demo it was just connecting colored sockets together with wires. no actual programming

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Turns out summon builds in Path of Achra are good even if it's your first run and you have no idea what you're doing!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Awesome! posted:

when i played the demo it was just connecting colored sockets together with wires. no actual programming

Yeah I downloaded the demo and liked it but I thought it would get too complex with the wiring too fast and I'd get frustrated.

I bought it and put an hour into in and turns out the game is very gradual about introducing modules and wiring combos and I just killed the 2nd boss in one action and it made me feel smart and I think this game might be good?! I don't know how much content there is (it looks like there's at least 3 bosses) but I left a positive review already

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Awesome! posted:

Yeah, it's not intended to be like programming, it's inspired by modular synths. Which have some similarities but I don't think this is going to get to, like, Zachtronics levels.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

pumpinglemma posted:

Turns out summon builds in Path of Achra are good even if it's your first run and you have no idea what you're doing!

I'm still really bad at Achra builds and splat characters all the time but whenever I want to win I just slap together some random infinite summon engine and it always works trivially easily.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

I'm still really bad at Achra builds and splat characters all the time but whenever I want to win I just slap together some random infinite summon engine and it always works trivially easily.

A lot of them fall apart at higher cycles but you can still pull off wins with the boys at 24

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
One of the (many) things I really like about Achra is that even within a basic archetype like "summoner" a lot of the prestiges that you'd think would be in the same lane still feel VERY different from each other. An oozemancer plays totally different from an Arborus, or from a character who's leaning heavily into using familiars instead of chaff, etc

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

King of Bleh posted:

I coincidentally just started poking at Dungeon Drafters last night. Too early for me to have any deep insights, but I love the aesthetics of it, it reminds me of the middle bits of Inscryption in a good way.

One early complaint is that it pulls the Dark Souls move of having a surprise forced death at the end of the tutorial, which felt particularly rude within the context of a roguelike.

Dungeon Drafters is interesting, but IMO struggles with a few things:

1. The deck building interface is...not great. I think they've iterated on it a few times, but it's just kind of clunky.
1.1. The controller makes the deckbuilder even worse unfortunately. Again, not a dealbreaker or terrible, but just kind of bad.
2. The rate at which you can get cards/etc feels pretty slow.
3. The difficulty is...odd. This one's tough because the answer is likely 'Falcon sucks at video games' but for me I found I was dying an awful lot more than I expected, which leads into the next part:
4. The way you get cards is by an 'extraction' sort of system - go into dungeon, get packs, survive and get the loot. However, this kind of means that if you bite off more than you can chew you end up walking out without much to say for it, which is frustrating to waste 30-60 minutes on.

Edit: That being said, there is a lot going for it. The art is very good and consistent, and the overall gameplay is pretty fun. I also like the gems system, which is how you pick what colors your deck has access to.

Edit 2: I played a little bit, maybe my above assessment is a little harsh.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 10, 2024

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Played more Rogue Voltage and it needs a bit more enemy variety, encounters are already getting samey after 4 runs. Cobalt Core had a similar problem with lack of enemy variety too. RV is going to be in EA for a year according to the devs so hopefully they can add more enemies.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Rift Wizard: killing a bunch of infernal towering bone shamblers, with prince of ruin, sure is a trip. Immensely long chains of the 27 bone guys exploding into piles of imps, and the imps also immediately exploding.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

Just got my first win in Rabbit & Steel with a group of random people and I think it's pretty neat from my experience playing with randos and solo.

That being said, I have no idea how appealing the game is to random people who have not played FFXIV? It's basically Shmup FFXIV Raid Simulator and it rules for me in particular.

I tried this game out and the idea has a ton of potential, and it seems fun, but I'm not used to playing hardcore bullet hells and the readability/telegraphing needs a lot of work for it to not be incomprehensible to someone like me. Especially with 4 players on the screen.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Always struggled to get into roguelikes as much as I think they fit my want for turn based versions of Diablo/Grim Dawn.

Picked up Path of Achra and hope that is can give me the fruits of the genre in a quick enough way for me to “get it”

(Also bought rogue voltage to support the devs as I think the concept is brilliant. Will report back on that one soon.)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

idrismakesgames posted:

Always struggled to get into roguelikes as much as I think they fit my want for turn based versions of Diablo/Grim Dawn.

Picked up Path of Achra and hope that is can give me the fruits of the genre in a quick enough way for me to “get it”

(Also bought rogue voltage to support the devs as I think the concept is brilliant. Will report back on that one soon.)

Path of Achra is definitely a very distilled roguelike, sort of the moonshine of traditional roguelikes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

OneDeadman posted:

Just got my first win in Rabbit & Steel with a group of random people and I think it's pretty neat from my experience playing with randos and solo.

That being said, I have no idea how appealing the game is to random people who have not played FFXIV? It's basically Shmup FFXIV Raid Simulator and it rules for me in particular.

How's singleplayer? I know a mode exists but it looked really co-op focused from the store descriptions. Looks really neat but not sure how much I'd play the MP.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

goferchan posted:

How's singleplayer? I know a mode exists but it looked really co-op focused from the store descriptions. Looks really neat but not sure how much I'd play the MP.

I've been playing exclusively singleplayer and have been having a great time with it, though I've only just beaten Normal (and Cute afterwards, just so I could see the Cleared above the levels on that difficulty). Trying Hard later today.

The co-op specific mechanics are removed or tweaked to not need other players, for obvious reasons, while the overall complexity is bumped up a little for SP in comparison to the same difficulty on MP, to compensate for not needing to coordinate with other people. It's more of a quarter-step between the different difficulty settings, though, not a full jump from Normal to Hard for example.

(The frog boss was kicking my rear end for a bit, and then while watching a streamer group get to her I was surprised at the difference in complexity. It's probably most notable for her, though, since it's designed as more of a dance fight than reaction, so differences have to be a bit bigger than the other fights.)

There is an in-game lobby browser if you want to jump in with randos, and I've yet to hear any complaints about connectivity or netcode issues with the handful of streamers I've watched play.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finally I can recreate the experience of FFXIV's PF to get my weekly extremes done, but in roguelike form.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I mean... :v:

https://twitter.com/bluecityblues/status/1788608181658148975?t=TUZFpVnT3UEtVFpbSWHbDw

(They're jokes, obviously. This next image isn't, though, that's a real mechanic for one of the fights.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The store page says it has more environments etc in this current build than the entirety of Hades 1 which...Well I dunno if I believe that but it's pretty insane if true.

After having unlocked the second exit from the Crossroads I can confirm that Hades 2 has more stages and environments than its predecessor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hades only had 4 stages, so not too difficult

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I feel left out cuz I don't know poo poo about Hades 1 let alone 2

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

verbal enema posted:

They're fun games

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

verbal enema posted:

If you get Hades 1 now you can probably full-complete the story by the time 2 hits 1.0

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Hooplah posted:

Come play Yi Xian before the async mode disappears (at the end of the season, in 4-5 days). (Actually I think they'll probably make it permanent, but there's been no such announcement yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Finally trying one of these rogue light deck builders but don't get the hype? Is this a good one to start with?

https://gewl.itch.io/rogue-light-deck-builder