Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'

Safety Factor posted:

Anyways, I had a ham dream last night. A package came in from Forge World with a loving warhound in it. I was sure I hadn't ordered one, but all the shipping/billing details checked out. I was confused and angry and wondering how this could have happened, knowing I can't really afford something like that right now. Then I opened up the box and saw that it had come with a broken, bent turbo laser and a mega bolter. I distinctly thought, "I wouldn't order a loving mega bolter, this couldn't have been me." I was trying to figure out how to send it back for a refund and to replace it with a glaive when I woke up.
:shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Why are there such disparity between the quality of terrain on some of the tables? Are different groups in charge of running different events and set up the boards for them. Can't imagine traveling halfway across the country to have to play on some of those stinkers when the people across the room are playing on amazing tables.

Also when are you going to do a battle report?

I liked the board near the beginning where they're playing on a giant brown lump of felt or other cloth that immediately stops all dice from rolling once they hit it. I would rather play on a plain table marked off 4x6 with masking tape.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 13, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Why are there such disparity between the quality of terrain on some of the tables? Are different groups in charge of running different events and set up the boards for them. Can't imagine traveling halfway across the country to have to play on some of those stinkers when the people across the room are playing on amazing tables.

Different people in charge of organizing different events like you thought.

Most of the narrative stuff seems to suck up the better terrain, while more competitive events are stuck with bare bones, which can be a huge drag. I think this is the primary reason I won't be doing Combat Patrol again. Maybe ShadowWar will have some kickass stuff.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I haven't been able to play any Shadow War yet but it has given me an excuse to work on some the random models and bits I've had laying around for years.

I ordered some Sons of Horus Reavers to make a Chaos warband later.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I'm gonna let SRM do the links this time, but maybe you guys go check itunes or whatever and see if there are any new 40k podcasts today...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I had to drive to another city for an all-day work thing, but a FLGS in the town had 2 copies of SWA, so I picked one up.

Goddamn, the terrain looks completely rad and makes me want to gather lots of industrial bulkheads and such for an underground map.

It also makes me want to build some Tyranid Warriors :shepicide: However, I've promised myself not to buy any more models until 8th edition and a Tyranid re-write, beyond all the :cthulhu:-faced ones just for thematic purposes.

The other side is that I have a set of Ork Boyz and Space Marine Scouts up for sale/trade, if anybody wants.

Any traders yet?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Played a game of 40k for the first time in months today! 1k points, my Imperial Guard against a friend's Tyranids. I took all infantry, he took hordes of hormagaunts with a fully guarded hive tyrant and some warriors. Good fun, I lost most of my soldiers but basically wiped him in the end. Anything over 1k would just get exhausting though - even as it is we binned using mysterious objectives or warlord traits.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Genghis Cohen posted:

a friend's Tyranids

Please tell him I feel so horribly sorry for him and he has my condolences

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

LingcodKilla posted:

Any traders yet?

You're the first.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Genghis Cohen posted:

Played a game of 40k for the first time in months today! 1k points, my Imperial Guard against a friend's Tyranids. I took all infantry, he took hordes of hormagaunts with a fully guarded hive tyrant and some warriors. Good fun, I lost most of my soldiers but basically wiped him in the end. Anything over 1k would just get exhausting though - even as it is we binned using mysterious objectives or warlord traits.

Mysterious Objectives is definitely one of the rules they need to get rid of because in my experience it is a rule that everyone immediately either forgets or purposely ignores

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If I had a penny for every time I've heard "Skyfire Nexus... so nothing then". Ditto "Harness the Warp... well I'm playing Tau/Necrons so dump..." etc.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Listening to badcast now. The lovingly detailed account of Wolfshirt Guy is fantastic.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You're the first.

Email me at azutler at the gee male toot comb.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Also, my group is planning a weird DM'd SWA campaign, imperium vs chaos, each of the four of us gets 250 points to spend on a character for a kill team together from any imperium list.

Right now we have a scout sniper with a shitload of wargear, a guardsman sgt with a power sword and some other poo poo, some kind of heavy weapons guy, and I've got a skitarii with a plasma culverin, arc pistol, and omnispex. Haven't decided how progression works, and if we'll add on with new recruits or not.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I painted another filthy ork.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chance II posted:

I painted another filthy ork.

Orks is best!

Nice camo pants. Also nice checkerboard work.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Orks are best because it's appropriate when I use garish clashing colors and paint sloppy checks and dags on everything!

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
The 40k badcast is great. Listened to it while traveling and it's good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Finally listened to the Badcast drunk and assembling Necrons. As soon as the cooler-sounding guy started talking about his retro Ultras I was like "oh gently caress it's SRM!"

That's so not the voice I read your posts in, and I'm sorry.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

goose willis posted:

Please tell him I feel so horribly sorry for him and he has my condolences

Yeah, my Imperial Guard are nothing great competitively - I was fielding heavy weapon squads etc - but even so I probably had the better list against his hormagaunt horde. Guardsmen with a priest are quite able to put up a good fight with bayonets, and you still get shooting etc to gain the upper hand.

We still both had a good time - he enjoyed wiping out one squad with hormagaunts, and decimating a couple with his Tyrant's devourers; I enjoyed repelling his last hormagaunts in the final, bloody assault after my flamers had countered his success.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am going to my first tournament ever (yay) and I seriously need your guys advice.

It's a tourney a guy from my local gaming group is putting on at my GW store. Rules aren't fully finalized yet but it's going to be 1000 points using the Allied Detatchment CAD (with exceptions for things like Harlequins that can't use that) and it has the restriction of no Lords of War. Games are 2v2 with randomly selected teammates.

I was fiddling around with lists last night, and here's where I need your advice. How strong should I be with my list? On one hand, I don't want to hold my teammate back, but on the other, I don't want to be "that guy" if everyone is bringing less beatstick lists.

For reference, the one list I made consisted of a Tau commander and strike squad to fit the CAD requirements, then the rest of the army consisted of a Ghostkeel and both variants of the Forgeworld Riptide. (Forgeworld is allowed) Part of me feels that people might not be too happy having to face two powered up Riptides and a Ghost suit though.

What is your guys advice? I'm mainly playing for fun and to hit things with mech suits.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Discuss it with the tournament organizer first, but typically tournaments are meant to be competitive. Honestly fielding a Ghostkeel and not just a third Roptide could be seen in some circles as softening your list already.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My impression of 40k tournaments from things like the badcast coverage of adepticon is that everyone is going into it looking to smash heads. Don't weaken your list. Even the "friendly" events are a nightmare if lists aren't vetted.

also, as PierreTheMime said you're already soft to a lot of players because you're not autoincluding the latest nightmare formation.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The problem with the idea of "don't be a dick" is it becomes a game of chicken where nobody wants to soften their list TOO much because they don't want to be trounced by someone who plays all hardcore.
And everyone is thinking the same exact thing. The only person who softens their list is the one who hasn't been through this cycle before.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

RagnarokAngel posted:

The problem with the idea of "don't be a dick" is it becomes a game of chicken where nobody wants to soften their list TOO much because they don't want to be trounced by someone who plays all hardcore.
And everyone is thinking the same exact thing. The only person who softens their list is the one who hasn't been through this cycle before.

This. I went to my LGS a while back for a "Beginners 7th ed tournament". Brought a pretty silly Ork list with some Killa Kans, a few trukks, keeping it easy.

One fucker rolled in with a leafblower Imp guard list and ended every game by turn 2. At least the games were short.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Closing in on finishing this guy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That is very pretty my dude.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Uroboros posted:

Closing in on finishing this guy.

That is looking awesome. I like this model a lot, your paint job makes it look brilliant.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I've finally started selling small chunks of my Ork army. The terrible irony is, I'm doing it to fund acquiring some few planned Tyranid purchases so as to soften up my GSC lists, so I don't just roflstomp my buddies.

Because I apparently hate myself so much that I would play two armies that Robin Cruddace ruined with his petty malice and poor understanding of game design.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

I've finally started selling small chunks of my Ork army. The terrible irony is, I'm doing it to fund acquiring some few planned Tyranid purchases so as to soften up my GSC lists, so I don't just roflstomp my buddies.

Because I apparently hate myself so much that I would play two armies that Robin Cruddace ruined with his petty malice and poor understanding of game design.

How are your gsc lists doing that?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

muggins posted:

How are your gsc lists doing that?

Rolling 6s and running their decurion. I played a hardball list by accident replete with summoning and Cult Ambush and cultists making GBS threads mining explosives and lasers out of every orifice, and the target saturation is usually just too much for anything but an all-Knights or 3+ invulnerable-spam list.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I am assembling some of the FW Eldar Corsairs today - bought them ages ago, using the jump packs as intended on Eldar Guardian torsos, but with legs from DE Scourges. I really need to look more closely at what kits are made of and think about the practical elements before I embark on a project. These cool looking wings on the jump packs? Separate, thin, flimsy resin pieces. The lasblasters which they come to be armed with are also super thin and fragile resin. So my assembly process is:

-assemble 2-part scourge legs, fit into slotta bases
-assemble 2-part guardian torsos
-glue together
-glue jump pack backpack onto torso
-cut shuriken catapult off of guardian arm
-wrangle lasblaster into position between guardian arms, glue onto torso
-glue 2 individual loving wings onto the jump pack, waiting ages for superglue to set in tiny connection points
-add heads, bits.

GOD loving drat IT. This is not counting trimming mold lines (of which there are LOADS) and washing + de-warping the resin. I have 20 of these things.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Get some zap a gap, I've found it tends to set fairly quickly so you're not holding bits together for ages

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
SWA gave me the excuse to make something I've wanted to do forever, an enforcers/arbites kill team!

Not sure if I want to do Orks or Genestealers next. I also have a few old Orlock metals and enough bitz to scatch build a whole Orlock gang, and I'm kinda thinking they could be proxied as genestealer cult...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arven posted:

SWA gave me the excuse to make something I've wanted to do forever, an enforcers/arbites kill team!

Not sure if I want to do Orks or Genestealers next. I also have a few old Orlock metals and enough bitz to scatch build a whole Orlock gang, and I'm kinda thinking they could be proxied as genestealer cult...

Those look terrific! You run them as a guard squad under the new SWA rules?

Zark the Damned posted:

Get some zap a gap, I've found it tends to set fairly quickly so you're not holding bits together for ages

Cheers, will look into it next time I buy glue. To a certain extent its just a poor design for a resin kit, nothing to be done but stick with it (no pun intended).

After I played last night my other mates played 1k Orks vs Necrons. The Ork player had 2 big squads in battlewagons, the battlewagons blew up, he lost about half of each squad. Basically the game was over from then. But he killed quite a few of his own boys on top of that, doing those stupid instead-of-morale-checks. I'd be pissed off if I was an Ork player.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Strongly agree. Any attempt to gentleman's agreement or tone down the ridiculous imbalance in this game just falls flat beyond 2 players (and sometimes even then). It just moves the goalpost into a passive-agressive contest of trying to take the nastiest stuff within certain arbitrary guidelines, or avoid the obvious, well known unfun units but still have a crushingly good army to face your opponents' stuff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Tables are built by different clubs and people. For instance, all the tables in the Gentleman's 40k are by the same guy, and the dude loves building terrain so it's pretty high quality. Honestly I don't remember seeing many tables where I thought they were bad though, at least for 40k.

I'll do a battle report when I have a good camera setup for one. I want a camera looking down on the board in addition to one at the side so I can get varying angles. Plus the lighting in my apartment sucks.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm gonna let SRM do the links this time, but maybe you guys go check itunes or whatever and see if there are any new 40k podcasts today...

Yay I get to be helpful
:siren:YO LISTEN UP MOTHERFUCKERS:siren:
the new badcast is out
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/04/14/40k-badcast-07-a-discussion-regarding-parasitic-dipterans/

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Have you considered uploading the Badcast to your youtube account as well? I've seen other podcasts do it and it's sometimes more convenient to listen to. It might also might get a few more views on your other stuff.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm planning on picking up a Skyhammer Tactical Insertion Force, and was thinking of painting up the marines in this style.

They're an offshoot of the Steel Confessors. Specifically, a small group of them that were hidden and never joined up with the rest of their battle brothers. Their iconography will be the AdMech stuff.

Colors are silver and red with blue eyes. Soft body armor is admech grey. The drop pods will be mostly silver with red doors.

How does this work? Not too busy or too bland?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Have you considered uploading the Badcast to your youtube account as well? I've seen other podcasts do it and it's sometimes more convenient to listen to. It might also might get a few more views on your other stuff.

I've thought about it, but it's tonally very different from the stuff on my Camhammer channel. I'd be open to doing it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SRM posted:

I've thought about it, but it's tonally very different from the stuff on my Camhammer channel. I'd be open to doing it though.

You could create a Badcast-only channel.

• Locked thread