Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mllaneza posted:

Getting to the relevant VIP's assistant is a winning strategy. Years ago I was managing our ISP, XO Communications, and had ever so many issues. The big one that required intervention was when they rolled out their new CRM system and set my timezone for the East Coast. I'm in Cali. When I had a ticket open and they needed to call with an update, they'd call right after 8am, so I'd get woken up at 5am.

Nobody could fix it until I got an executive assistant involved, and that took less than 24 hours.

Amazon had this too, long ago. If you wrote to The Dread Lord Bezos it would result in a Jeff Letter ticket started by the relevant admin at a pretty high priority. After all, the Customer Experience is a very big deal!

Some years after I left, Jeff Letters stopped generating priority tickets. "Having this banner at the top load 0.5s after the rest of the purchase confirmation screen, moving stuff out of the way such as the "open in Kindle" button I wanted to press, meaning I click a banner ad instead, is a pretty terrible customer experience" was basically met with "ok, and?"

I think that was around the time when it was less about Amazon the store and more about Amazon the AWS Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Fast delivery company Getir is getting out of the UK, The Netherlands and a bunch of other countries. They're also closing down Gorillas which they acquired a few years back iirc

Guess they ran out of VC money to burn.

Edit: ah looks like they're only going to be in Turkey

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sagacity posted:

Fast delivery company Getir is getting out of the UK, The Netherlands and a bunch of other countries. They're also closing down Gorillas which they acquired a few years back iirc

I've never heard of Getir but in the Netherlands Albert Heijn already delivers groceries?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good riddance to bad rubbish. i think gorillas thought about about acquiring one of the popular companies around these parts as well. would probably have been better if they did and closed up shop

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sagacity posted:

Nothing screams success like going from a pan-European company to operating only in Turkey.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never heard of Getir but in the Netherlands Albert Heijn already delivers groceries?
This was flash delivery, so if you're hungover you could buy some random junky food and have it delivered within 30 minutes or so

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sagacity posted:

This was flash delivery, so if you're hungover you could buy some random junky food and have it delivered within 30 minutes or so

Every kebab place open at 2am is already listed on thuisbezorgd (grubhub) though.

Even in the US I'm not sure what the value proposition of instacart et al is when even loving Walmart deliveries groceries at-cost these days instead of a limited subset at marked up prices.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every kebab place open at 2am is already listed on thuisbezorgd (grubhub) though.

Even in the US I'm not sure what the value proposition of instacart et al is when even loving Walmart deliveries groceries at-cost these days instead of a limited subset at marked up prices.

Yeah I get the stuff like doordash and seamless for places to get takeout specifically because of the bigger delivery range and that's cool but for regular groceries nah

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I've also seen them trying to get into the market in Germany, but they've withdrawn from here as well. No wonder, several of the larger grocery chains have started offering same-day delivery because of covid, and there's at least one delivery-only grocer making headway as well. There's just hardly any need for specifically having a small amount of groceries delivered within the hour. Most people live within a reasonable distance to at least one store, so when you desperately need some cumin right loving now it's usually both quicker and cheaper to just head over there and get it yourself.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 12, 2024

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Getir is Turkish, so this is pure contraction. I think they might still have US operations though.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Getir and Gorillas literally only exist because there were venture capitalists dumb enough to invest

It's an insane idea that has no place in society and it's amusing to see all the "it was an amazing ride!" posts on linkedin from Getir marketers that are being laid off right now

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
AI matchmaking sounds like a better experience to me than the current mess of swipe apps, but probably worse than OKCupid, which (pre-enshittification) was the only dating app that ever got me results that actually worked out as relationships for any amount of time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't imagine AI matchmaking to be actually good considering how bad AI is at text, art, driving cars, etc

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it will work great, problem will be that just because my lovely AI simulacrum and your lovely AI simulacrum turn out to be deep-down soulmates doesn't mean that you will like me.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How does the AI get enough training data to even remotely represent someone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You fill out a form.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

blastron posted:

You will answer a bunch of questions to train it. Then your AI will meet the AI of a potential date, and together they will determine a match%.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

blastron posted:

The fine print has a clause relating to the installation of a neuralink.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

They let the two AIs talk at each other until they either have cybersex, or get stuck in a loop.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

I can't imagine AI matchmaking to be actually good considering how bad AI is at text, art, driving cars, etc

What are you talking about, it will be great with matching people up with their perfect advertising bot partner.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

mllaneza posted:

Getting to the relevant VIP's assistant is a winning strategy...

This is the only reason I bemoan the death of Twitter. I always found it an incredibly efficient way to avoid all the hoops of customer service, and have a real person providing real answers.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

quote:

the walgreens fridge tv died, and tvs are opaque so now it's physically impossible to tell what's inside the fridge

the employees have taken photographs of the fridge's contents, printed them on the largest paper they can get out of the photo-printer kiosk, and loving taped them to the screen

this is doubly hilarious because walgreens and the company that makes these things are currently both suing each other, over concerns such as "they don't work", "they display the wrong items and prices", "literally everyone loving hates them", and "several of them caught on fire"

this means there's zero chance they're ever getting repaired or replaced by the manufacturer, which means they're just all going to die like this. They're gonna have to pay a fortune to tear them all out and put the glass doors back, and they probably can't really do that while the lawsuits are in progress lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

blastron posted:

dating apps are pretty abysmal on privacy and data collection as it is

lots of fun bits in the report

quote:

Like romantic AI chatbots, the nature of dating apps means they probably need to collect some sensitive and personal information from you. Fine! But we learned that companies often take advantage of that and use your personal information for reasons unrelated to love. They often say they can share it, sell it, or just don’t do the bare minimum to keep that data secure. At a time when the popularity of AI integration and AI-powered deepfakes means we need better privacy protections, dating apps seem to be doubling down on their bad-for-privacy practices. Dating apps just can’t get enough of your data!

Twenty two of the 25 (88%) dating apps we reviewed come with *Privacy Not Included.

i guess the good news is that if you shared your data with one of the companies that owns like half of all dating apps, they can just let their other companies access the data free of charge

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hargrimm posted:

quote:

this means there's zero chance they're ever getting repaired or replaced by the manufacturer, which means they're just all going to die like this. They're gonna have to pay a fortune to tear them all out and put the glass doors back, and they probably can't really do that while the lawsuits are in progress lol

Oh a nice bit of dystopian sci-fi future for once! Can only hope it bites them in the rear end enough other companies take note and stay the hell away from this cursed tech.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I like the bit about them catching on fire. Definitely a feature I'm looking for in my cold box.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

It's just so loving funny to me that the window already let me see what was there and let me see the price because markets place the prices on the shelves. There's just zero value-add there. You could make the argument that they could show me advertisements, but if they're showing me an advertisement, then I don't know what's in the freezer and thus won't buy what's there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dirk the Average posted:

It's just so loving funny to me that the window already let me see what was there and let me see the price because markets place the prices on the shelves. There's just zero value-add there. You could make the argument that they could show me advertisements, but if they're showing me an advertisement, then I don't know what's in the freezer and thus won't buy what's there.

To the average person: this way we can let you know about Great* opportunities** for saving*** money! Isn't it great**** to be living in the future??

To advertisers: We've got a great new place for in store digital advertising, directly at the place where consumers make impulse purchases

To stores: We'll give you a small cut of the ad revenue, making this well worth the initial cost to install. It might even drive purchasing, allowing you a chance to upsell too

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Volmarias posted:

To the average person: this way we can let you know about Great* opportunities** for saving*** money! Isn't it great**** to be living in the future??

To advertisers: We've got a great new place for in store digital advertising, directly at the place where consumers make impulse purchases

To stores: We'll give you a small cut of the ad revenue, making this well worth the initial cost to install. It might even drive purchasing, allowing you a chance to upsell too

The average shopper: well I know the door is glass so I can just look through it and open it if and only if I see something I want… but I'm just gonna open the door and stand there with it open leaking out all the cold air as I browse.

Not a shitpost. I see people doing this all the time. It makes no sense.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

The average shopper: well I know the door is glass so I can just look through it and open it if and only if I see something I want… but I'm just gonna open the door and stand there with it open leaking out all the cold air as I browse.

Not a shitpost. I see people doing this all the time. It makes no sense.

Gotta get that cool refreshing breeze

:feelsgood:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

The idea was that it could show you advertisements for what's in the freezer, and that the companies whose products were on the shelves would pay for those advertisements. The ability to control what you see - for example, temporarily covering up half the products in a freezer with an advertisement about how good the products in the other half are - is something that marketing departments would happily pay good money for.

For example, imagine if, every time someone walked up to the cooler with Gatorades and Powerades, the Powerades started glowing and shaking slightly to draw your attention to them (and away from their competitors). Or maybe as you're walking down the aisle, the ice cream freezer starts showing animations of the hot sun beating down on people along with a big "Ben and Jerry's ICE CREAM, 30% off, perfect for those hot days!".

The stores figured that the companies whose products were in a given freezer would love the ability to advertise on the freezer door, drawing attention to their products and away from their competitors' products. I'm sure there was a starry-eyed exec who had dollar-sign dreams about every single frozen-food manufacturer getting into bidding wars for more control over their products' freezer doors.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Even if it worked, the moving ads would only be eye-catching until they became commonplace and then we'd all stop noticing them just like we stopped noticing every other drat ad.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Even if it worked, the moving ads would only be eye-catching until they became commonplace and then we'd all stop noticing them just like we stopped noticing every other drat ad.

Yeah, but that's just when you need to go back to the advertisers and get them to come up with even more annoying, impossible to escape ads.

It's all part of the system.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

If only there were an energy efficient, affordable, readily available transparent material that existed where we could just see through it and view inside of the refrigerator's contents. But alas.

Gonna have to get used to the idea of my car windshield displaying an LED rendering of the street I'm driving down.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

HopperUK posted:

what if we made the freezer advertising doors touchscreens, so if you tap on an advert for a product you like it can generate an on-the-spot discount coupon for your purchase 🤑💸

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HopperUK posted:

That doesn't stop the ad guys from wasting money to plaster every other possible surface with ads. They'll just keep coming up with more and more clever ways to squeeze ever-smaller bits of attention out of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUOrf1xUnN0

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

If only there were an energy efficient, affordable, readily available transparent material that existed where we could just see through it and view inside of the refrigerator's contents. But alas.

Gonna have to get used to the idea of my car windshield displaying an LED rendering of the street I'm driving down.

Welp, I know what I’m doing this weekend with my wall anchor magnets.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I know this a joke about "just make them glass" but even transparent LCD screens for glass fridge doors have been a thing for at least ten years now where implemented better in their pilot programs. Like you can see the drat drinks behind the ad glass!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be5PEh858HA

https://youtu.be/l419E-oIKqI?si=UTjhHcA7izoCfcwX
Have no idea why this one doesn't want to embed, but this video is from a pilot program in Korea in 2013 that is pretty much the best execution of the concept: it not only advertises a brand to you, but will occasionally highlight product on the shelves, providing customers with snappy sale information, allowing the actual store to pick up some impulse buys from the display.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That's all well and good and fine but when I'm in the beverage section at the gas station, I'm already thirsty and I'd say 95% of the time already know what I'm looking for

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Young Freud posted:

https://youtu.be/l419E-oIKqI?si=UTjhHcA7izoCfcwX
Have no idea why this one doesn't want to embed, but this video is from a pilot program in Korea in 2013 that is pretty much the best execution of the concept: it not only advertises a brand to you, but will occasionally highlight product on the shelves, providing customers with snappy sale information, allowing the actual store to pick up some impulse buys from the display.

Like, this looks better than the others, but it still seems insanely distracting to have an ad play 6 inches in front of the products you are actually trying to look at, and makes it even more likely for someone to just open the door and peruse while wasting the refrigeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm pretty sure those TV doors are also much more effort to open than normal freezer doors, which is probably just wonderful for old and/or infirm people who already have to put effort into opening regular doors at the freezer aisle of the store.