Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I know, I just thought it was funny. Actually because it was the first thing I expected something to say :haw:

If I wasn't almost as far away as you can be from the Bay area without being on a different continent then I'd be all over this :(

Any farther and you'd be here. :(

Sounds like a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
If it's on the weekend and it isn't too far away that I can't get there by public transportation, I'd be down.

Life without a car sucks :negative:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
It would definitely be on the weekend. Most likely a Saturday Afternoon.

Transportation could be worked out too, since the location would likely be out of range of Muni.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
For what it's worth I would be driving up from San Jose area is to SF, so if you are along the peninsula I may be able to give you a ride.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
This fall, I'll be going back to school for my last year in college, earning a bachelor's in psychology. I plan on going to grad school for psychology to become a psychologist.

This summer, I'm earning money pretty much exclusively through photography -- I've booked two weddings, shot senior photos, have a contract with my local Little League that brought in over $10,000 in sales, and will be doing more with that once the state tournament begins.

For the past three years, I've worked as a photographer and then director of photographer at the university newspaper. I've just been offered a job with the Toledo Free Press as well, Toledo's weekly newspaper. I could, potentially, be working two newspaper jobs while also owning a photography business.

What exactly am I doing with my life, Dorkroom?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dakana posted:

Awesome things from the sounds of it.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

dakana posted:

Successfully paying your way through grad school?

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.

dakana posted:

This fall, I'll be going back to school for my last year in college, earning a bachelor's in psychology. I plan on going to grad school for psychology to become a psychologist.

This summer, I'm earning money pretty much exclusively through photography -- I've booked two weddings, shot senior photos, have a contract with my local Little League that brought in over $10,000 in sales, and will be doing more with that once the state tournament begins.

For the past three years, I've worked as a photographer and then director of photographer at the university newspaper. I've just been offered a job with the Toledo Free Press as well, Toledo's weekly newspaper. I could, potentially, be working two newspaper jobs while also owning a photography business.

Hiring me as your second shooter? :allears:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dakana posted:

making us feel bad for our lack of relative success :(

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

dakana posted:

Do you like doing photography for a living? Do you have a scholarship for grad school, or are you paying for it yourself? Are you going for just a masters or a doctorate?

I think it's a good idea to finish up your BS, but I'd think twice about grad school if you're just going for a masters that'll put you in debt. A BS will help you get a job in your field, a MS will only help you get a slightly better job. Having a masters will eventually pay off, but it will take several years (over 5, maybe 10+) before you see a return on investment. Instead of going into debt before you get a job, consider finding an employer that will pay your way through grad school. That way you don't rack up any debt and you make good money while you're going through school. You could also just forget about grad school and focus on your photography but that's entirely up to you.

If you're going for a doctorate, then you should probably just jump right in and get it done. Just be sure that you're positive that you want to be a psychologist for the rest of your life. Otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Do Psychology grad students not earn a stipend? Graduate school in the natural sciences and most social science departments isn't a pure you-pay-now deal, you get some money that you're supposed to live on. Whether you can actually live on your stipend depends on you and on how out-of-date your school's payroll system is; it's never a lot of money, but I think at least 1/2 the grad students I know are basically breaking even, and the rest are sinking into debt fairly slowly.

It's going to come down to what you, personally, really want to do. If you want to be a psychologist (and you didn't say psychiatrist, so I'm going to assume you know what you're talking about), a PhD is pretty much required. If you want a job from a wider range of options, that mostly include some requirements for psychology as an academic background, a Master's is probably the way to go. If you just want some decent-paying corporate job somewhere in the souless heirarchy, a BA is going to be sufficient.

You most likely won't have the spare time needed to continue making decent money as a photographer - it will have to be relegated to the status of "hobby that pays for itself" at best. Most graduate schools set restrictions on how much time a grad student can spend at another job - make no mistake, grad school is at least as much of a time requirement as a full-time job. Some departments are more lenient than others, but stipulations that you won't work more than a couple of hundred hours PER YEAR outside of school are pretty common.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I always ask pros how they got into photography and about half of them say, "So I was doing this totally unrelated thing and then I got a few jobs shooting and said 'gently caress it'."

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

brad industry posted:

I always ask pros how they got into photography and about half of them say, "So I was doing this totally unrelated thing and then I got a few jobs shooting and said 'gently caress it'."

And most that I know didn't ever study anything to do with photography at all.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
To chime in on the education/career conversation - I'm graduating in August with a degree in Economics and if I had it to do over again I'd go Finance + Photography.

Anyway, my goal is to land some kind of finance job and launch a photography business (part time, at the moment). If the photo biz goes well, as is my goal, I'd be fine doing that full time.

Also, I have my first engagement shoot booked for tomorrow. I'm so excited I could flip out! My Elan arrived today and I am excited to give it some practice during a portrait session.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Elite Taco posted:

To chime in on the education/career conversation - I'm graduating in August with a degree in Economics and if I had it to do over again I'd go Finance + Photography.

Anyway, my goal is to land some kind of finance job and launch a photography business (part time, at the moment). If the photo biz goes well, as is my goal, I'd be fine doing that full time.

Well hey there, goon-clone buddy.

My econ degree rots in a box in the attic. Should be moving into full time shooting by the end of this summer, if all continues according to plan.

So probably never.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Part of me wants to get into photography as a business, but the other part realizes that running a business ain't easy, the Bay is saturated with photographers anyway, that I'd rather keep this a hobby, and that I'm probably better off going back to school for a degree in Computer Science instead of Business.

(My Communication degree rots either way)

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

A friend of mine just got turned down for a contract from some magazine in Boston, their reason was that while they really liked his portfolio, his 4 Alien Bee B1600s aren't good enough. They said he should invest in Elinchrom and call them back. Is this common in editorial photography or is that magazine run by a bunch of snobby dicks?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love photography, but I don't think I'd be happy doing it for a living. I like to shoot things I'm interested in, and if I can't do that then I really can't be bothered :(

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Wooten posted:

A friend of mine just got turned down for a contract from some magazine in Boston, their reason was that while they really liked his portfolio, his 4 Alien Bee B1600s aren't good enough. They said he should invest in Elinchrom and call them back. Is this common in editorial photography or is that magazine run by a bunch of snobby dicks?

It's bullshit. gently caress gear.

Anti_Social posted:

Well hey there, goon-clone buddy.

My econ degree rots in a box in the attic. Should be moving into full time shooting by the end of this summer, if all continues according to plan.

So probably never.
Sup, mang! I think, if anything, my work experience and classwork in econ and finance help make the business part of photography a LOT clearer. In some respects, my desire to launch a business is entrepreneurial as must as artistic. I love photography and want to run a business, SYNERGY. :) But yeah, I can econ like a mofo and I know enough now to know that I want to have not much to do with it after I get done.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 10, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Elite Taco posted:

It's bullshit. gently caress gear.

There's no point in brand elitism or having the very latest and gratest, but a pro should be using pro gear of reasonably recent vintage. Not because it'll make their work "better", but because it has to work each and every time out. And then when it doesn't, your backup gear should also be pro gear of reasonably recent vintage. There's really just no getting around buying good stuff if you want to make a living off of it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wooten posted:

That's such stupid bullshit. I don't know anything about the professional world and how snobby it is or isn't, but all that should matter is the final product. Yeah, you probably want to look professional by not having a homemade cardboard ringflash, but any legit gear should be passable. As far as I know Elinchroms will just have better build quality and more color consistency than the ABs, but they're not going to create better light or better photos. What a load of poo poo. Tell your friend to tell them to gently caress off.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I have a double major economics and business undergrad degree. I worked for a financial planning firm for the past 5 years right out of school where I learned a vast array of things. I've been on my own full time for 10 days now and so far so good. Not making crazy money yet, but not loosing money and the work I do is so much better. I feel like I'm doing the right thing every day.

I wanted to be an IT auditor and took my GMAT, but 2 years ago. I wasn't really happy with it. I wanted to do my own thing and work with creative people. I still want an MBA.

What I learned at school that I use all the time: management skills (dealing with people), communication skills (negotiating and writing professionally), and building complex spreadsheets (omg I use spreadsheets to model everything). Plus being a well rounded person so you can talk to anybody about anything.

What I learned at a financial planning firm: Beginning steps to running a business, real world bullshit and politics, the importance of networking, and sales, sales, sales, sales, oh and sales.

Running a successful business is hard work and solid planning. It doesn't matter if I create financial plans and investments or family photography.

Don't discount any experience you have at any job or school, as long as you leverage it to make yourself better.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
What makes absolutely no sense about it is that I'm pretty sure the big name professionals rent a lot/most/all of their lighting equipment. What gear someone owns is probably the least important factor out of the entire equation.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices

McMadCow posted:

So there are a ton of Bay Area dorkroomers and there's often talk of doing a local meetup/shooting session. I've been talking to a couple of models, and I think I'm going to host a small clinic to introduce photographers to working with people subjects. This would be on location with experienced models and small groups of shooters.
Does this sound like something people would be interested in? I'll start a thread for it if so.

I'm definitely interested in this

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Wooten posted:

That's absolutely absurd. Most editorial shoots have budgets to cover lighting hire. A lot of pros hire/lease gear based on the job rather than what they own.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I have worked on hundreds of editorial shoots and the client has never talked about gear..... at all, for any reason, ever. That's why they hire a pro?

edit: and ironically, Elinchrom is one of the least common I've worked with

brad industry fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 11, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

As far as I know Elinchroms will just have better build quality and more color consistency than the ABs, but they're not going to create better light or better photos
From past discussions here, I'm pretty sure the color consistency issues on the AB heads don't really start until you drop below 1/4 or maybe even as low as 1/8 power. In any case, they're dicks.

Liquid_Table
Jun 9, 2010
I don't understand the jokes about UV filters. Are they really just worthless? Can I now laugh at my friend for spending $70 on one?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Liquid_Table posted:

I don't understand the jokes about UV filters. Are they really just worthless? Can I now laugh at my friend for spending $70 on one?

Yeah, the only thing they do for you is decrease your image quality ever so slightly. As for protection, they're really not that good. First off, there is no guarantee that the filter will save your front element if a major accident happens (like say you drop your lens onto concrete). Secondly, small scratches don't really affect image quality. Try putting putting your index finger right up against the glass when you shoot; you'll barely notice it. Also check out {url=http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches]this blog post[/url] if you don't believe me. Third, the front element is the cheapest part of the lens to replace. I've never had to do it myself, but I've heard Scott Bourne say it cost him something like $300 to replace the front element on his $8000 Sigma 300-800.

If you want good protection for your lens, I suggest picking up a lens hood. Unless you're shooting on an ultra-wide, nothing will get close to your front element.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Isn't one required for complete weathersealing of most manufacturer's "weatherproof" setups?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Martytoof posted:

Isn't one required for complete weathersealing of most manufacturer's "weatherproof" setups?

For Canon L lenses, yes. At least the ones I own.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I can't say for certain. There is no mention of this in the manual for my 70-200 2.8 IS II. My guess is that it's already sealed because there are no moving parts on the front element.

Liquid_Table
Jun 9, 2010
Weather sealing is a moot point anyway because the L lens I've bought is not weather sealed (70-200 f/4L). I guess instead of a UV filter I'll be buying a CPL and some ND filters instead.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I have heard of a few pro lenses that require a filter to be completely weather sealed.

Completely anecdotal, but I did crash a motorcycle while I had my camera with me. My camera was in a non-padded bag (aka my day to day messenger bag). As soon as I opened the bag and pulled my camera out, glass started falling everywhere, but it was only from the UV filter that I happened to have on my lens. The crash caused minor damage to the camera, but the lens, aside from the filter, was completely undamaged.

Who knows if my lens would have been ok otherwise, but it was ok this one time and that is all that matters, I guess. Do I keep UV filters on my lenses though? Not usually, unless it is dusty or rainy outside.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Do UV filters still have a legitimate use with film?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Do UV filters still have a legitimate use with film?

They were invented for film. Film responds to UV light, so you end up with what-you-see is not what-you-get. Or so I've been told.

That's the ironic thing about the surging sale of UV filters these days. Digital sensors have the same UV response as eyes do. You can come to your own conclusion about what that means for the worth of UV filters for the vast majority of buyers.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 11, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I feel like I'm doing the right thing every day.

This is awesome and really the only thing you need to say to win every goddam argument about jobs, careers, training, professionalism, or any remotely related topic.

Well done, sir.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ugh I'm thinking about getting a used DSLR to start practicing with rather than waiting until I can afford a new 60D and I was looking at the 300/350/400 EOS range. There's an EOS 400 that ends on ebay in a few hours here that's only at around $150 but the person selling it has less than 10 feedback, all positive but all as a buyer and they have no info in the listing other than it saying "camera is in perfect condition" and some photos.

Enough red flags that I think I'm going to pass on it but it's so painful to watch it go... :smith:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HookShot posted:

Ugh I'm thinking about getting a used DSLR to start practicing with rather than waiting until I can afford a new 60D and I was looking at the 300/350/400 EOS range. There's an EOS 400 that ends on ebay in a few hours here that's only at around $150 but the person selling it has less than 10 feedback, all positive but all as a buyer and they have no info in the listing other than it saying "camera is in perfect condition" and some photos.

Enough red flags that I think I'm going to pass on it but it's so painful to watch it go... :smith:
Very scammy - if you follow their purchases you'll probably find they have bought a bunch of 99cent ebooks or some such to pump their rating.

Not saying how I know this, that's £500 I won't see again in a hurry :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Very scammy - if you follow their purchases you'll probably find they have bought a bunch of 99cent ebooks or some such to pump their rating.

Not saying how I know this, that's £500 I won't see again in a hurry :mad:
Yeah, they were all <$50 items that they'd bought, I let it pass and it went up to around $400 anyways which is more than I wanted to spend on just a body (I'm probably going to end up with a 300 or 350 in my price range)

Sorry to hear about your 500 pound loss... that definitely sucks.