Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I hit the mono button on my preamp the other day and the sound almost completely cut out (but seems to work fine on other records), is this related to what you described or is my mono button just broken (like I previously thought).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Summing the channel on stereo records with phase effects, even subtle ones will do very strange things.

This all comes into play when making the records too. A recording engineer for records has to make sure that stereo effects on tracks don't cause the groove to actually become so shallow and narrow that it pinches the stylus out. Another reason why you can't usually just cut a CD master.

This page, although quite limited in English capacity does well to explain some of the limitations of records with animations. There is more information on the site too.
Stereo Signals
Signals that make grooves disappear.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 11, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

eggsovereasy posted:

I hit the mono button on my preamp the other day and the sound almost completely cut out (but seems to work fine on other records), is this related to what you described or is my mono button just broken (like I previously thought).

It really depends on the record and what they did. If it works fine on other records, then yeah, it could be the record. Which record was it?

Even today though, a lot of people will still check to see how their mix sounds in mono to make sure there aren't any issues. There's still a lot of places where you only output in mono, and if it sounds bad there, it's just gonna be egg on your face. A perfect example would be a store or restaurant's PA system.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

I just received the new My Bloody Valentine album and it actually arrived in perfect condition. The one thing I found weird was that it didn't have any plastic wrapping. I stood in the doorway holding it for a few minutes still in a state of disbelief that it exists.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Still haven't received my copy of mbv. Getting kind of worried since other people I know in Seattle have theirs.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
In case anyone here are massive blink-182 fans (like me), this goes up today at 12 PM EST: http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Blink-182-%252d-Take-Off-Your-Pants-and-Jacket-LP-%26-3x7%22.html

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 12, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Eight Is Legend posted:

In case anyone here are massive blink-182 fans (like me), this goes up today at 12 PM EST: http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Blink-182---Take-Off-Your-Pants-and-Jacket-LP-&-3x7%22.html

:stare:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Eight Is Legend posted:

In case anyone here are massive blink-182 fans (like me), this goes up today at 12 PM EST: http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Blink-182---Take-Off-Your-Pants-and-Jacket-LP-&-3x7%22.html

That's not something you should admit in public.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Going back to that Nick Drake (I almost typed Nick Cave drat it all) conversation, is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Moon-Vinyl-Nick-Drake/dp/B001AGNRYO/

the new pressing being talked about? I think it is, but I wanted to be sure I was looking at the right thing before I went scrambling for my wallet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Going back to that Nick Drake (I almost typed Nick Cave drat it all) conversation, is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Moon-Vinyl-Nick-Drake/dp/B001AGNRYO/

the new pressing being talked about? I think it is, but I wanted to be sure I was looking at the right thing before I went scrambling for my wallet.

That's the one.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Blink-182-%252d-Take-Off-Your-Pants-and-Jacket-LP-%26-3x7%22.html - updated link, "only" 49.99 now :)

CPL593H posted:

That's not something you should admit in public.

You seem to "really know a lot about music".

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

That one doesn't have the "add to cart" option though. The $10k one does.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

david puddy posted:

You get what you pay for.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

david puddy posted:

That's because the pre order opens at 12 PM EST today :) the 9,999.99 one was just a "dummy" for people who had previously ordered the vinyl from another site that hosed up. ShopRadioCast took over and gave those people the possibility to order it in advance before the public pre order.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I can't decide if I care about that Blink182 album or not.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Me in Reverse posted:

It was the first one I bought and is probably still my favorite record by them, so it's an easy buy for me, especially because of the sweet packaging and 7"-s.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Me in Reverse posted:

If it's limited edition, then I'd be interested in it but only to flip. Blink-182 remind me of being in late primary school/early middle school and thinking it was "pretty hardcore punk" since it drove my mum crazy.

Then I started listening to Metalcore and Hardcore in secondary and man did I feel silly.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Eight Is Legend posted:

It was the first one I bought and is probably still my favorite record by them, so it's an easy buy for me, especially because of the sweet packaging and 7"-s.

Yeah that's what tipping me over. I like it a bunch, but not in the frenzied way the rest of the internet has been about this release for however many years now.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Squarepusher's younger brother Ceephax Acid Crew has a 3xLP up for pre-order on limited red vinyl (black version to come). Sounds very nice.

Cro Magnox

Pre-order:
http://www.mewelesite.be/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=55&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

Samples:
https://clone.nl/item26662.html

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
http://i.imgur.com/v1lgYEM.jpg

Somehow seeing this sticker on a new 12" actually makes me happy to still be buying vinyl, despite the gently caress-up here, this just made me a little bit nostalgic. The scratch adds character anyway.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I have music and shoe-licking dog

Song Islands and The Glow, Pt. 2 are some of the best records that I have as far as packing goes. Song Islands is almost impossible to fit into a sleeve though.
Talking Heads and Yes I got for under $10 at this punk record store I keep getting awesome non-punk finds at.
BBDLP1 is on some pretty sky-blue marble and took a lot to track down online. m b v is kind of crappy, but I like the music.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Is your BBDLP1 thin as hell? I got the pink one, and it is one of the flimsiest records I own. Maybe I'm just too used to 180 gram, but it was still surprising how cheap it felt. Sounds okay, though.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The blue pressing seems alright. Not like mass-produced 60's-70's records thin, but kind of thin.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Amazon UK has copies of Sigur Ros' Agaetis Byrjun and ( ) on vinyl:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sigur+ros+vinyl

Been waiting to pick up ( ) for an age so this is good news :)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

david puddy posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sigur+ros+vinyl

I love you very very much right now.
As an aside, I'm kind of amazed that 2 LPs from co.uk was slightly less than $60USD shipped.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

david puddy posted:

Huh these look like brand new reissues on PIAS.

Fat Cat just reissued them a few years ago and I think copies are still available.

Edit: I think you can buy them from fat cat's hard to navigate webstore, I can't figure it out on my phone.

Bliggers- fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 13, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Bliggers- posted:

Huh these look like brand new reissues on PIAS.

Fat Cat just reissued them a few years ago and I think copies are still available.

Edit: I think you can buy them from fat cat's hard to navigate webstore, I can't figure it out on my phone.

I think the 2009 reissues are out everywhere, they sell on ebay for close to $100 each now so this is welcome.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You can buy them on LP from FatCat's site.

Not sure what versions they are.

25.99 pounds each

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

WASDF posted:

I have music and shoe-licking dog

Song Islands and The Glow, Pt. 2 are some of the best records that I have as far as packing goes. Song Islands is almost impossible to fit into a sleeve though.
Talking Heads and Yes I got for under $10 at this punk record store I keep getting awesome non-punk finds at.
BBDLP1 is on some pretty sky-blue marble and took a lot to track down online. m b v is kind of crappy, but I like the music.

I picked up the same BBD LP when he opened for M83 last year. Good show!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Me in Reverse posted:

You can buy them on LP from FatCat's site.

Not sure what versions they are.

25.99 pounds each

Their pricing is wonky.

25.99 GBP = 38.77USD, 29.96EUR
33.00 EUR = 42.69USD, 28.62GBP
42.90 USD = 28.76GBP, 33.15EUR

Same thing with shipping. Cheaper in GBP.

Maybe they're charging extra because they have to pay to convert to GBP?

Weird.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I didn't know they still had them, everywhere I'd looked they were significantly more expensive. Either way, I'm happy with the price.

As a complete noob to the RSD scene, is there any point or need in us trying to coordinate purchases for each other? There are a couple that I'd really like to get an I wouldn't mind snatching something up for someone else.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Me in Reverse posted:

Their pricing is wonky.

25.99 GBP = 38.77USD, 29.96EUR
33.00 EUR = 42.69USD, 28.62GBP
42.90 USD = 28.76GBP, 33.15EUR

Same thing with shipping. Cheaper in GBP.

Maybe they're charging extra because they have to pay to convert to GBP?

Weird.

I could have sworn they also reissued Von and Takk. The £25-30 price point sounds right and Fat Cat did say they were Limited Editions.

$100 on ebay for the DMM represses is bullshit though, you can maybe pick up an original pressing for that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

iostream.h posted:

I didn't know they still had them, everywhere I'd looked they were significantly more expensive. Either way, I'm happy with the price.

As a complete noob to the RSD scene, is there any point or need in us trying to coordinate purchases for each other? There are a couple that I'd really like to get an I wouldn't mind snatching something up for someone else.

If this is a thing, I'd be happy to participate. I will be fiending for that Steven Wilson 12" with the demo tracks from his new album.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

david puddy posted:

Sweet, thanks for this, ordered them both. Just over £5 postage to Japan, and no VAT so worked out pretty cheap for both.

Plus for some reason they had one copy of "Person Pitch" on vinyl which was on my must-have list so that should be on its way soon too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Remember when everyone made fun of the RSD reissue of Rumors? Well get a load of this.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Give me a 180gm deluxe reissue of Whipped Cream & Other Delights already dammit.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

Give me a 180gm deluxe reissue of Whipped Cream & Other Delights already dammit.

Whoa, I'm not interested in any of that obscure poo poo. A 2 LP 45rpm reissue of Supertramp's Breakfast in America is just fine for me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

And it had better be 200 gram, or it's just worthless.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

Remember when everyone made fun of the RSD reissue of Rumors? Well get a load of this.

Read that earlier today and I can't completely agree with it. It makes a few salient points but it gets too wrapped up in the author's experience and reads more like reasoning as to why he no longer collects records. I do get annoyed by vinyl feitishists but I assume that the ones he's talking about are the ones that I hate - casual followers who make poorly informed purchases and are overly enthusiastic to the point of annoyance. On the other hand, these collectors could eventually become serious about the hobby and become the sort of people who intelligently discuss records on the internet...

I guess most hobbies have annoying people around the fringe but for communities such as the AV Club - which I'm a part of - they might seem more present. It's like getting annoyed with bronies; if you spend a lot of time online, they'll seem like a more annoying and present fandom than they really are.

:words: version: Yeah, it's a problem but it's inescapable. We should be glad it's still a hobby that gets new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Coming soon to a record store near you! 200gm 55th anniversary edition.