Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

It's been ages since I've played this game.
I fired up a new world and went to work building a fort, remembering some stuff I used to do along the way. I recall I was once able to build underground Trade Depots and have tried to create such a thing in my current fort but the traders don't have access. I've made a path and ramps which are 3x? wide and there should be access. I have a few rows of traps along the path. Could they be blocking access for traders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bobthedinosaur posted:

I fired up a new world and went to work building a fort, remembering some stuff I used to do along the way. I recall I was once able to build underground Trade Depots and have tried to create such a thing in my current fort but the traders don't have access. I've made a path and ramps which are 3x? wide and there should be access. I have a few rows of traps along the path. Could they be blocking access for traders?

yes. trapped tiles block wagon travel.

e: note that RETRACTED upright spears/spikes do not.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Excelzior posted:

yes. trapped tiles block wagon travel.

e: note that RETRACTED upright spears/spikes do not.

Thanks, that seems to have done it. When did it change to block travel?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else having an issue with garbage dumps not properly generating dump jobs? I have multiple boulders designated for dumping, and a nearby active garbage dump zone. For some reason it's not generating jobs. I can't find a bug on the tracker, and only one reference on the Bay12 forums which received no replies.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Aethernet posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with garbage dumps not properly generating dump jobs? I have multiple boulders designated for dumping, and a nearby active garbage dump zone. For some reason it's not generating jobs. I can't find a bug on the tracker, and only one reference on the Bay12 forums which received no replies.

Are the boulders outside?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

bobthedinosaur posted:

Thanks, that seems to have done it. When did it change to block travel?

Couple years ago maybe? With a good airlock system, all you have to worry about is the caravan getting ambushed along the way.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Aethernet posted:

There is a chance if the boulders are outside you might have "dwarves ignore outside refuse" turned on. It is on by default.

This is the simplest possibility I could think of which might be causing your problem.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

bobthedinosaur posted:

For any future trade depot pathing problems, there's a screen - I believe it's shift D - that shows the path to your trade depot and what squares are or are not passable. The path originates from the trade depot and fills out to the edge of the map, with the path showing a different color if there's no accessible route.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately they're not outside. It's very odd; I've never seen this behaviour before.

Edit: Resolved. Apparently dump zones need to be on stone rather than soil/sand, even if said soil/sand is inside. Odd.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 21, 2014

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

so it turns out all those strange mood dwarves I had that wanted "metal bars" actually wanted "metal bars that are right next to the workshop" instead of ones that are in a stockpile in some other part of my fort

loving rear end in a top hat dwarves.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Dreggon posted:

so it turns out all those strange mood dwarves I had that wanted "metal bars" actually wanted "metal bars that are right next to the workshop" instead of ones that are in a stockpile in some other part of my fort

Yeah, I've noticed that more in this version, or maybe it's because my forts are more sprawl-y than ever before: dwarfs don't seem to recognise materials unless they're within a certain (fairly generous mind you) distance of the workshop.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

are there any updated tools that let me edit my dwarves' stats? want to make my smelter never get tired so he GETS ON WITH HIS loving JOB

reading
Jul 27, 2013
A Minotaur approached my fort and I was worried because I haven't fought one before. And my drawbridge had been destroyed by a tantruming dwarf.

The Minotaur entered, dodged a single trap, and then the battle was over before it began:

That was the entire battle. I wish I could have posted the head as a trophy in my barracks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

reading posted:

A Minotaur approached my fort and I was worried because I haven't fought one before. And my drawbridge had been destroyed by a tantruming dwarf.

The Minotaur entered, dodged a single trap, and then the battle was over before it began:

That was the entire battle. I wish I could have posted the head as a trophy in my barracks.

I like to imagine it's like when you stub your toe and freeze up for a moment before you start swearing, except worse.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's a well known fact that a minotaur's third toe, right foot is its weak point

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reading posted:

Minotaurs and giants show up naked, so they are usually less trouble than a single squad of properly armored goblins. Bit of a disappointment.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

What the hell was that artifact that cracked his skull in? Also, devlog:

Toady One posted:

Last few days have reminded me why I put this thought rewrite off until after the big release... but the thought to circumstance+emotion conversion is going well. I have some new text and so on to write up, and I'll also have to hit the happiness code, so we'll see how fortress-wide meltdowns are affected.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

are there any updated tools that let me edit my dwarves' stats? want to make my smelter never get tired so he GETS ON WITH HIS loving JOB

I don't know of any. Smelter is an unskilled job though, being good at it just makes them a little faster. I usually build several smelters give most of my unimportant dwarfs smelter duty, stuff gets done fast.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dreggon posted:

Do you mean physical attributes?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1339319/df_scripts/40.08/elevate_physical.lua

More info at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/User:Vjek#Comments_for_DF_.26_DFHack_0.40.x

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
RE: Devlog
I 'm super hyped for the dwarf thought rewrite which we probably won't see for another 10 months. Honestly I'm just looking forward to the new bugs.

We've already established that adventurers are locked into a "I have no mouth and I must scream" situation, so I'm anxious to see what sort of horrors are accidentally unleashed onto our dwarves' collective psyches by the rewrite.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Well, if morale-affecting events will have an effect on dwarf happiness, then expect your bonecrafters to lose their poo poo often. Maybe the constant emotional trauma from turning dead things into random jewelry will establish a new meta where bonecrafters make the best hard-as-gently caress militia.

Maybe jewelry made from dead things will still be flagged as scary, so you'll see people running around terrified of the ¤dog bone amulet¤ around their neck.

It'd be neat if the integration between morale and happiness could have an effect on strange moods, so that traumatized dwarves are more likely to say "gently caress it, I'm turning one of these dead goblins lying around into a snazzy chair". I can't remember the last time I saw a Macabre or Fell mood, if ever.

I'm really excited for when the conversation system will make it into dwarf mode, just so I can listen in on dwarven parties and hear them talking about the nearby beasts and the news from the mountainhome (:iit:). Eventually they might have dwarf mode-specific things they can talk about, like what they think of the new mayor, or seeing two dwarves have an argument over which kind of cheese is the best, leading to a brawl that eventually engulfs the whole fortress into an extended slapfight. AKA, a successful dwarven party.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elth posted:

Maybe jewelry made from dead things will still be flagged as scary, so you'll see people running around terrified of the ¤dog bone amulet¤ around their neck.

I was pretty disappointed, back when I started playing this game, to find that totems didn't do this. I mean it's literally just a skull, why can't I set that poo poo up to strike fear in the hearts of my enemies?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

reading posted:

I like that the Minotaur and the recruit are in a tense contest of strength and skill, the Minotaur having briefly seized her opponent's shield, when an axedwarf just dives in and rips off a toe with their teeth and then a hammer lord wanders over and starts the curb stomp. It's nice that they let the rookie have a little fun before getting serious.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

I like that the Minotaur and the recruit are in a tense contest of strength and skill, the Minotaur having briefly seized her opponent's shield, when an axedwarf just dives in and rips off a toe with their teeth and then a hammer lord wanders over and starts the curb stomp. It's nice that they let the rookie have a little fun before getting serious.

Yeah that rookie got lucky.

When a soldier gives a name to a weapon and causes it to show up in the artifacts list, does that mean it now has the insane damage modifier that a regular artifact has?

Also, I played this game for a long time before noticing that if you check out an engraved and installed slab using [t][enter], you can read a really touching procedurally generated epitaph. "Here lies Urist Forumsuser / Friend of many / Killed by the Forgotten Beast Pageerrors the Forumsmaintenance in 208 / Lover of cranberry wine"

reading
Jul 27, 2013
In other news: my "notice" screen ([a]) has a buffer that has gotten smaller as my fort has become older. Now it only saves the last couple lines of announcements. Is there a way to expand this? Same thing with the combat logs, it seems to ditch the combat log of specific fights after the most recent couple.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

reading posted:

Yeah that rookie got lucky.

When a soldier gives a name to a weapon and causes it to show up in the artifacts list, does that mean it now has the insane damage modifier that a regular artifact has?

Artifacts don't have a damage modifier after the material rewrite, now I believe they have a skill bonus. Wiki says artifact armor has a deflection bonus. Don't know whether either applies to items that get named.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

reading posted:

In other news: my "notice" screen ([a]) has a buffer that has gotten smaller as my fort has become older. Now it only saves the last couple lines of announcements. Is there a way to expand this? Same thing with the combat logs, it seems to ditch the combat log of specific fights after the most recent couple.

While it's not ideal, everything should be saved to the gamelog.txt in the folder with "Dwarf Fortress.exe". No timestamps are saved with it so have fun making it useful!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

reading posted:

Also, I played this game for a long time before noticing that if you check out an engraved and installed slab using [t][enter], you can read a really touching procedurally generated epitaph. "Here lies Urist Forumsuser / Friend of many / Killed by the Forgotten Beast Pageerrors the Forumsmaintenance in 208 / Lover of cranberry wine"

If you check the pointless [R]ooms listing and press Enter to view the details on any sort of building that was overseen by an architect, you see who designed it, who built it and how well they did their jobs.

The executable has unique description lines just for this screen.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

scamtank posted:

If you check the pointless [R]ooms listing and press Enter to view the details on any sort of building that was overseen by an architect, you see who designed it, who built it and how well they did their jobs.

The executable has unique description lines just for this screen.

How very Toady of Toady to do that.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

TWBT in support of version .13!

This is a pretty weird release, too. The basic and nextgen branches are now this one package and the plugin must be activated by using a special PRINT_MODE in the inits: TWBT or TWBT_LEGACY.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I managed to corral the undead horse head into a seldom-used hallway and seal it off. It's now safely in a cage in the basement, but I'm worried if it gets out again that it will bother disciplined dwarves to death once more. (It apparently has no "parts" which can be exploited to deal it a death blow.)

I'm tempted to have a few dwarves fight it in a room with some ready cage traps. Before their deaths from a combination of exhaustion, sleep deprivation, and thirst, the dwarves occupied with fighting the somehow animate horse skull developed excellent combat skills. The downside was that it obsessed them so much I had no means of stopping them from trying to kill it. They refused to call a draw. I don't know if being in a cage would even affect their compulsion to defeat the skull.

I suppose maybe being confined in a cage and then thrown into lava might remove their "kill horse" job? The undead skull, I mean. Of course if the dwarves were thrown into lava they'd finally stop fighting.

Of course, my current plans are to just store the skull cage until I have an "invaders only" hallway to place it in. Let those jerks become obsessed over it. :iit:

Has anyone seen vampires lately? They used to be regular migrants to a fortress and they were one of my favorite additions. (Remember the golden update where there were vampires and hospitals and soap mostly worked correctly?) I miss my shifty bloodsuckers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I just discovered that zombie giant sperm whales can be killed by a couple of dedicated axedwarves. For some reason, they have 'necks' that are fairly easy to cut off (relatively speaking).

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Have never seen this before - "leads crossbow demonstration" and "lead archery demonstration". Is it a new thing?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Archer training has always been hit and miss but now it seems if you give the Archers a Training Room and an Archery Room to train in they'll go to the sparring room and learn the theory before being allowed to go shoot things on the range. It's a nice change to having to get them to do it in their free time through wizardry.

Dunno when they added it, but it's a lot easier thank god.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I'm desperate to play this game but the ASCII hurts my tiny brain and the graphic packs in the lazy newbz don't seem to work with the current version. Has anyone got a recommendation for a decent graphics pack?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I'm desperate to play this game but the ASCII hurts my tiny brain and the graphic packs in the lazy newbz don't seem to work with the current version. Has anyone got a recommendation for a decent graphics pack?

I use this one. Give it a shot.

It's so delightfully square as opposed to those imperfect rectangles that come with the base game.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I have something weird happening to my current (unretired) fortress. No more migrations, but I'm getting 10-15 births a year, when I never saw more than 4-5 previously. What's up with that?

Civ's got 5000 dwarves or so, I have 118 dwarves of which 30! are babies (all born in the first 3 years) and about 15 children (ditto).

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 22, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I seem to have a weird thing with births where all animals and dwarves will give birth at the exact same time. It's a little creepy.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Penultimatum posted:

RE: Devlog
I 'm super hyped for the dwarf thought rewrite which we probably won't see for another 10 months. Honestly I'm just looking forward to the new bugs.

We've already established that adventurers are locked into a "I have no mouth and I must scream" situation, so I'm anxious to see what sort of horrors are accidentally unleashed onto our dwarves' collective psyches by the rewrite.

Future bug fix: Game AI spontaneously gains sentience. Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TheCIASentMe posted:

Future bug fix: Game AI spontaneously gains sentience. Fixed.

Dwarf Cancels taking control of NORAD : looking for baby.