Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Basebf555 posted:

Complaining about the historical accuracy of potatoes is just as dumb as complaining about race.

Complaining about race is dumb because potatoes. Gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Complaining about race is dumb because potatoes. Gotcha.

You seem to have a reading comprehension issue.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Well, you seem to have a retardation issue, as that is essentially the point you are making.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Well, you seem to have a retardation issue, as that is essentially the point you are making.

Absolutely. Race is a non-issue because of potatoes. Makes total sense.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm just glad you cleared up the tricky issue of race exclusion in fantasy settings, by pointing out that unrelated elements are arbitrary. Funny.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
I kind of think that this sort of discussion excludes two things:

1) the possibility of feedback being incorporated by the developers. The Witcher series in three games in, but has only recently become so successful that this is a significant issue. The developers can say "well, this is why we didn't include these elements previously, but that doesn't mean we can't in the future." Fans can simply rehash the same arguments ad nauseam.

2) xenomorphs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I'm just glad you cleared up the tricky issue of race exclusion in fantasy settings, by pointing out that unrelated elements are arbitrary. Funny.

My man, I really think you need to go back and re-read his posts on this subject....

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Absolutely. Race is a non-issue because of potatoes. Makes total sense.

are you saying that the argument of defending race exclusion in a fantasy video game because of "historical accuracy" is dumb? I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean too, but I agree if that's what you're trying to say.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The discussion was about race inclusion, and the idiots who will complain about it on the basis of historical accuracy. . Using historical accuracy as an excuse is just a cover for racism and is extremely transparent. Does that clear anything up for you?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Witcher 3 got rid of their rape trading card minigame and actually have a few female characters that don't have huge boobs leaking out of ridiculously sexualized outfits, that's massive levels of progress for them. Baby steps.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Basebf555 posted:

The discussion was about race inclusion, and the idiots who will complain about it on the basis of historical accuracy. . Using historical accuracy as an excuse is just a cover for racism and is extremely transparent. Does that clear anything up for you?

I totally agree with you on that. Fair enough. I missed one of your posts.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 9, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I have a very strong bias against white south africans and rank them lower than even australians, so that clouds my judgement of their robot movies.

After going there on vacation and seeing how they treat dark Africans on average, I'm developing this bias as well.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Witcher 3 got rid of their rape trading card minigame and actually have a few female characters that don't have huge boobs leaking out of ridiculously sexualized outfits, that's massive levels of progress for them. Baby steps.

Who got raped?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Baronjutter posted:

It makes for a better and more inclusive game, and certainly one more likely to do well financially and critically, but I enjoyed the juvenile fantasy fan-fiction that is the first Witcher game. Peasants commenting that the mill is being haunted again because the witcher is pleasuring a bona-fide tavern wench in it is prime-grade shlock. They have managed to hang on to some of that levity in the later games while making the Witcher a game series you can enjoy unironically, but considering that the source material is godawful trash I doubt it's going to win any awards for being progressive. Also, were there really any rapes among the romance subplots? As far as I remember they were all sort of ridiculous examples of tired (and mostly sexist) fantasy tropes such as the witcher being rewarded with sex for saving someone, having some mystical allure thanks to his reputation or as part of being manipulated by feminine wiles.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Darko posted:

After going there on vacation and seeing how they treat dark Africans on average, I'm developing this bias as well.

How would you rate the way Blomkamp treats black Africans in his movies? I don't recall there being any significant protagonists that were in the movies I've seen (a total of 3), with them mostly consisting of violent heavies.

Am I wrong?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Biomute posted:

It makes for a better and more inclusive game, and certainly one more likely to do well financially and critically, but I enjoyed the juvenile fantasy fan-fiction that is the first Witcher game. Peasants commenting that the mill is being haunted again because the witcher is pleasuring a bona-fide tavern wench in it is prime-grade shlock. They have managed to hang on to some of that levity in the later games while making the Witcher a game series you can enjoy unironically, but considering that the source material is godawful trash I doubt it's going to win any awards for being progressive. Also, were there really any rapes among the romance subplots? As far as I remember they were all sort of ridiculous examples of tired (and mostly sexist) fantasy tropes such as the witcher being rewarded with sex for saving someone, having some mystical allure thanks to his reputation or as part of being manipulated by feminine wiles.

I think hey may be conflating too different alterations across two different Witcher games.

They never got rid of the sexual content or storylines in Witcher 1 and they're campy as hell and sometimes genuinely funny. They just removed the nude trading card images you'd get of each female character after you had sex with them because it was stupid. Witcher 2 has nudity and plenty of sexual content too that's fine, the only change they made during production was to clothe and slightly change some dialogue from this one woman you rescue to imply more that "poo poo being in prison and getting tortured sucks rear end" and less "yup I sure am walking around topless because I was raped a lot isn't that just awful?" It was a change made months before the game was even released though but there were still stupidly flabbergasted fans angry that their storytelling masterpiece they pre-ordered was censored by evil feminazis.

The series has taken an interesting progression, Witcher 2 and 3 are waaaaaaay cooler to experience than any of the books. I like Witcher 1 a lot too but some people find it too junky to play today.

Shageletic posted:

How would you rate the way Blomkamp treats black Africans in his movies? I don't recall there being any significant protagonists that were in the movies I've seen (a total of 3), with them mostly consisting of violent heavies.

Am I wrong?

"Historically accurate" future South Africa.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darko posted:

Ninja seemed to be nice to the black people in Chappie, I'm sure other south african's act the same way.

Neo Rasa posted:

I like Witcher 1 a lot too but some people find it too junky to play today.

In the witcher 1, all you have to do for gameplay is use the "right" sword then press the aoe button or the single target button. Real hard bro.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

"Historically accurate" future South Africa.

Haha

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Biomute posted:

As I recall, Witchers are super-alluring to womenfolk as part of their superpowers.

This may or may not be because they're infertile and generally pretty sexy wanderers who kill monsters for a living :shrug:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

As I recall, Witchers are super-alluring to womenfolk as part of their superpowers.

This may or may not be because they're infertile and generally pretty sexy wanderers who kill monsters for a living :shrug:

Witchers also don't get STDs.

I remember that the butt naked swamp dryads in the first game refused to sleep with Geralt because they will only have sex for reproductive reasons and Geralt is sterile. He only managed to convince one after introducing them to the concept of sex as a method of stress release (and collecting 10 wolf pelts).

Anyway, the great graphics card war heats up in the future:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I totally misread that as "Created to survive."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man that reminds me of all the cool promo stuff for David from prometheus. great marketing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if there's anything hidden in the reflection of his eye. I guess the internet would have figured that out by now though.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, David and Walter are production models, right? Like there are hundreds of copies of them running around?

Do you think that all the Davids turned into sociopaths or just the one?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

If they have fathers who treat them like property and act like they are inherently lesser than other people, yea probably.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SimonCat posted:

So, David and Walter are production models, right? Like there are hundreds of copies of them running around?

I figured that David was a halo beta model (very expensive and therefore rare, possibly unique) and they didn't have all the programming quite figured out yet. In real life, training a neural network is incredibly difficult because you don't know what patterns it's seeing in the data you feed it. My own theory is that the rules they programmed him with were too simple, which made him more human than his creators intended. Ash is a much later model and he still had serious issues, probably due to feeding him contradictory rules (crew expendable? But I'm not supposed to hurt people!). Can you imagine Bishop acting like David in Prometheus? I would guess the Company at some point realized that trying to make an android that is both super-safe and capable of duplicitous actions that could harm people was way too complicated to pull off, so they gave up and made Bishop's programming a straight-forward version of Asimov's Three Laws.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
"I cannot harm or, by omission of action, allow to be harmed, a human being. "

The bolded part definitely seems to be missing with David. He is able to lead humans into scenarios that he knows will end in their death but he does nothing to prevent them from going forward the way Bishop almost certainly would have.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Am I wrong?

Hmmm, from what I remember of his movies, they don't seem to be a huge part of them all except being violent in general. It could be a reflection of the general South African viewpoint that I saw, which basically viewed black Africans as servants to them (at worst) or just ignored them (ie. purposefully not even looking at them) at best.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

David was also "smart" enough to work around his programming, which was played subtly. He actually *asks permission* before infecting the guy in Prometheus. It was obviously not actual permission, but just enough to get around any programming that wouldn't allow him to do otherwise.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Darko posted:

David was also "smart" enough to work around his programming, which was played subtly. He actually *asks permission* before infecting the guy in Prometheus. It was obviously not actual permission, but just enough to get around any programming that wouldn't allow him to do otherwise.
Yes, exactly. He's obviously programmed with some stuff to help humans, but he's clever enough (and self-aware enough) to work around them and eventually even break them (judging by Covenant). I think the Company realized this model was too dangerous - making a superior, uncontrollable being with its own motivations that is smart enough to resent your attempts at control is not particularly wise. With Ash they tried to fix it by jamming even more rules in there but that overloaded the things and made them "twitchy" (I can't help but think of RoboCop 2 and the hundreds of directives they give him). With Bishop, they realized it was a losing battle and made a much simpler benevolent servant. I'm sure an android is still super useful without also being a master super-spy agent.

david_a fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 10, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

man that reminds me of all the cool promo stuff for David from prometheus. great marketing

Speaking of, we've got something similar for Covenant now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Cmf4BuNgg

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Yes, exactly. He's obviously programmed with some stuff to help humans, but he's clever enough (and self-aware enough) to work around them and eventually even break them (judging by Covenant). I think the Company realized this model was too dangerous - making a superior, uncontrollable being with its own motivations that is smart enough to resent your attempts at control is not particularly wise. With Ash they tried to fix it by jamming even more rules in there but that overloaded the things and made them "twitchy" (I can't help but think of RoboCop 2 and the hundreds of directives they give him). With Bishop, they realized it was a losing battle and made a much simpler benevolent servant. I'm sure an android is still super useful without also being a master super-spy agent.

It all fits it pretty nicely with the themes of creation and parenthood that Scott has going on in Blade Runner and Prometheus. Tyrell and Weyland both create life that is (at least) on the same level as humanity, and then in the case of Tyrell he decides that he'd made a mistake and that his creations needed to be restricted to a very limited lifespan because they were too dangerous. The Alien films seem to indicate that Weyland's company ended up having similar regrets that led to the more stringent programming that we see in Bishop. The Engineers appear to have those same kind of regrets.

In all three cases, the creators have a choice. To treat their creations as sentient beings with real lives and all of the rights that would go along with that, or property to be altered or destroyed whenever they so desire. I see it as Scott making a comment on the act of creation itself, that to create life only to attempt to control it is folly, it never works out well for those that attempt it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

david_a posted:

Yeah personally I'm keeping a close eye on my kids, if they seem like they're gonna turn out smarter and bigger than me I'll nip that in the bud before it gets out of control

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I got the impression that David was a one-off prototype considering that Weyland thought of him as a son. It seems that Walter is the final version that goes into mass production following some refinements.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I always got the impression that while androids would become commonplace that David was Weyland's pet project and not meant for mass consumption.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Didnt they have ads showing off the David model before prometheus came out?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Didnt they have ads showing off the David model before prometheus came out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7E7Qp-s-8

e: David was the 8th iteration of the androids if I have the ending right. The video kind of implies to me that the emotional programming is the leap forward since the advert emphasizes it.

Welyand's TED talk as an extra:
https://vimeo.com/50383392

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 11, 2017

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
My favourite promo bit was Weyland's emails where he sneers at Tyrell's abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Black Bones posted:

My favourite promo bit was Weyland's emails where he sneers at Tyrell's abominations.

I really enjoy the marketing stuff for Prometheus and the new stuff for Alien Covenant is pretty cool as well.