Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So wait, is starving out the enemy now possible?

I kinda wanna take my custom Human Remnant militaristic/xenophobic empire and use it to just starve planets to death instead of invading because I never really "got" ground combat in Stellaris.

dog so i don't get probated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Drone posted:

so are blorg officially hivemind in the canon now or what

not when I go to New Game, says they're a "plutocratic oligarchy"

pictured: a fanatic xenophile syncretically evolved race

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

axeil posted:

So wait, is starving out the enemy now possible?

Yes and no. Yes you can starve them, but it just affects growth and ratchets up unrest. To the best of my knowledge, it has no direct affect on a war via weariness or anything of the sort.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
can't be a hivemind if you want the blorg's trademark fanatic xenophile ethics

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
The leaders of the Blorg aren't​ hive minds, just the ones with the most friends. Some of them even have friends lists approaching double digits.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Crazycryodude posted:

So maybe I just got really lucky with the Infinity Machine giving me Sentient AI early on, but it seems like you can tear through the research tree now. My fanatic materialist space parrots with the Technological Ascendancy perk are at like +70% research speed. It's only 30 years in and I'm drawing tier 4 cards (antimatter power, synths, etc.)
I think Sentient AI is one of those worse outcomes of the event chain.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 6, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

bigmandan posted:

Speaking of music, I wonder if we will be able to buy the new tracks. While I'm at work I like throw the soundtrack to block out other distractions in the office.

Go to Steam\steamapps\common\Stellaris\dlc\dlc014_utopia and unpack the zip. Enjoy!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
It took me 15 minutes to roll up the old Mith-Fell Mandate science directorate and I feel I made a blunder. I decided, I always roll wormholes, so I wanted to try something new. I hate the artificial limitations of hyperlanes, so that left warp. Never tried it before but I thought it couldn't be too bad right? Well, I had the temerity to hop across into another spiral arm and what should be waiting for me but 3 angry groups of crystalline entities... Pop goes my fleet. I'm gonna stick with it for the challenge, but I'm thinking never again. Wormhole supremacy.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Lordshmee posted:

It took me 15 minutes to roll up the old Mith-Fell Mandate science directorate and I feel I made a blunder. I decided, I always roll wormholes, so I wanted to try something new. I hate the artificial limitations of hyperlanes, so that left warp. Never tried it before but I thought it couldn't be too bad right? Well, I had the temerity to hop across into another spiral arm and what should be waiting for me but 3 angry groups of crystalline entities... Pop goes my fleet. I'm gonna stick with it for the challenge, but I'm thinking never again. Wormhole supremacy.

wouldn't the same thing have happened with wormholes?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Perhaps I'm misremembering but I thought they don't have a wind-down. I don't recall ever not being able to get away from hostile before.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

Perhaps I'm misremembering but I thought they don't have a wind-down. I don't recall ever not being able to get away from hostile before.

they definitely have at least one of a wind-down and a jump time, otherwise wormhole travel be infinitely fast regardless of the number of hops

usually you can get away from hostile non-empire ships (except leviathans?) regardless of drive type because most of the time you'll arrive far enough away to avoid aggroing them

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't wait to play tomorrow and serve the hive, on a platter. :yum:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Did the way uplift works get changed? I got the tech, I found a presentient race, I built an outpost so the world is in my territory but the button on the species screen stays greyed out.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

King Doom posted:

Did the way uplift works get changed? I got the tech, I found a presentient race, I built an outpost so the world is in my territory but the button on the species screen stays greyed out.

You have to colonize the planet first.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Oddball question, I went in try and edit a save to turn off ironman (boxed in by super powers with fleets 1.5 to 2x times stronger than me despite having equivalent fleet support and better tech, need to figure out why is stronger than desire to get achievements) and I noticed some planet resourceshave three values instead of one, such as minerals= 1.000 1.000 1.000 instead of just minerals = 1.000. Anyone know why that is?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wait did I seriously just pick up a new game on the eve of an expansion release

well, time to do the tutorial again!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Swedish Horror posted:

Oh, what the gently caress, really? that's a terrible idea that basically strips away one of the most useful reasons to go for early uplifting. Has there been any osrt of explanation why they made the change?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

of COURSE I bought this game two days before literally the "Paradox Publisher Weekend" and it's half price :thumbsup:

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

King Doom posted:

Oh, what the gently caress, really? that's a terrible idea that basically strips away one of the most useful reasons to go for early uplifting. Has there been any osrt of explanation why they made the change?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it was like that before Banks.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

AndrewP posted:

of COURSE I bought this game two days before literally the "Paradox Publisher Weekend" and it's half price :thumbsup:

If it makes you feel better you're supporting a good cause.

Its been about 5 weeks since I last played this so I can't wait to get home and pick up Utopia.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

El Disco posted:

It's $6.69 at the Paradox store for the next 8 hours. Not quite $5 but better than $10, and they email you a Steam key.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris-leviathan-story-pack

I picked it up! I'm glad I did, the few unique things I've found so far were all crazy cool. The HR Giger looking monster sticking half way out of a black hole was legit unsettling. (It was also two jumps away from Earth and blocked my entire Southern expansion, so I noped out of that game.)

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

they definitely have at least one of a wind-down and a jump time, otherwise wormhole travel be infinitely fast regardless of the number of hops

usually you can get away from hostile non-empire ships (except leviathans?) regardless of drive type because most of the time you'll arrive far enough away to avoid aggroing them

Just did some reading to be sure and yeah they have a wind-UP that varies with size, but no cool down. I'd rather eat the cost up front where I know what's happening then to be stranded in a potentially fatal situation on the other end.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

Just did some reading to be sure and yeah they have a wind-UP that varies with size, but no cool down. I'd rather eat the cost up front where I know what's happening then to be stranded in a potentially fatal situation on the other end.

but you're still stuck on the other end, because you need to go through the wind-up phase again to escape

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Technically this is true but for small and extremely vulnerable fleets like those you start with the time is practically nill. I've *never* lost a wormhole fleet in the first few years like I did that warp fleet.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Wiz, if you see this, I maybe found a bug? I got the science faction that wants research agreements very early on, then later I got the event that sends pictures to the home world and builds a xenophile faction. The latter replaced the former, as in my first faction disappeared. Dunno if that should've happened :shrug:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

Wiz, if you see this, I maybe found a bug? I got the science faction that wants research agreements very early on, then later I got the event that sends pictures to the home world and builds a xenophile faction. The latter replaced the former, as in my first faction disappeared. Dunno if that should've happened :shrug:

I've seen that faction disappear and reappear before (without being replaced at the same time), I guess it could be a bug but I assumed it was just that the conditions for the faction to exist stopped holding

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Found a typo here, this should say Dictatorial, not Imperial. The logic is fine, it just says the wrong thing. Selecting Dictatorial allows it to be selected, selecting Imperial does not. Makes sense as Imperial does not have elections, and Dictatorships do on ruler death.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I also decided to finally register my Paradox account to enable Ironman to get achievements but I don't seem to be getting them :(

Colonized a planet, but still "So close..."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Swedish Horror posted:

So, uh. Is it impossible to uplift tomb world roaches without robots, then?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

How is the sector AI? Did they fix it?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Nothing quite like stacking all the unity modifiers for +92% and getting +1 unity from farms, modified to +1.92 unity from every farm you make.

I wonder if there's any other modifiers you can get close to 100% now, like building cost or something.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Have to go to sleep now but a couple things, the latter of which has probably been mentioned repeatedly already:
1. The finisher effect in traditions seems to be counted as a tradition for increasing tradition costs? Seems like a bug.
2. Planetary survey corps is the most broken thing that has ever been in the game, holy poo poo. Nothing at launch came close to being this broken, unless I've forgotten something. It's really easy to survey more than three planets a month, and then you're getting science stored up faster than you can use it. It literally doubles your science! And the AI probably misses out because it thinks trading star charts is a good idea. I've got almost six years worth of stored up science, and I've just got three orbitals built up with 7 lab complexes each so it was probably closer to 8 years before my science output increased suddenly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is terraforming different now? I've researched all the tile blocker techs and I'm just grinding away at bio techs hoping for that sweet sweet terraforming drop. Is it locked behind a national idea or what ever?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Staltran posted:

Have to go to sleep now but a couple things, the latter of which has probably been mentioned repeatedly already:
1. The finisher effect in traditions seems to be counted as a tradition for increasing tradition costs? Seems like a bug.
2. Planetary survey corps is the most broken thing that has ever been in the game, holy poo poo. Nothing at launch came close to being this broken, unless I've forgotten something. It's really easy to survey more than three planets a month, and then you're getting science stored up faster than you can use it. It literally doubles your science! And the AI probably misses out because it thinks trading star charts is a good idea. I've got almost six years worth of stored up science, and I've just got three orbitals built up with 7 lab complexes each so it was probably closer to 8 years before my science output increased suddenly.

Regarding point 2, it's insanely good early on as well, considering it lets you literally blitz through the tech tree using 3 science ships.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I like the way space creature generation has changed. I think. I have like 5 systems near my empire just SWARMING with mining drones. I'm pretty sure my local precursor must have made them in bulk.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've only had a couple of factions emerge so far, but given that the faction happiness equates to the member pops's base happiness, I've found myself giving far more attention than I used to to their opinions. I've had slaves since I started because of that Syncretic Evolution trait, and suddenly a third of my empire decides xenos are cool, good, and I'm seriously thinking about abolishing slavery to undo the massive malus.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I noticed the patch notes mentioned a bunch of missile changes. Are missiles not awful now? It would be nice to have another option.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I have to say, because I know some of the devs frequent here like Wiz, good lord this game is order of magnitudes better now.

I mean, I know Paradox has a reputation for releasing bare bones stuff and adding a lot during expansions, but goddamn it's like a completely different game.

All we need is trade and religion now *hint hint*.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A Tartan Tory posted:

I have to say, because I know some of the devs frequent here like Wiz, good lord this game is order of magnitudes better now.

I mean, I know Paradox has a reputation for releasing bare bones stuff and adding a lot during expansions, but goddamn it's like a completely different game.

All we need is trade and religion now *hint hint*.

I mean I was up to 439 hours before Utopia dropped so it's not like I didn't like the game, but changes this good suggest they are going to achieve their goal of making the only space 4x anyone ever needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Is terraforming different now? I've researched all the tile blocker techs and I'm just grinding away at bio techs hoping for that sweet sweet terraforming drop. Is it locked behind a national idea or what ever?

Got it literally my first card pull so you've just had garbage luck. Get those hot +1 research alt techs and hope for the best I guess, also new worlds scientist in charge to skew.

• Locked thread