Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

Top 8: 6 Grixis Shadow, Eldrazi Tron and Living End
Uhhh, correction, it's TWO Eldrazi Tron, Dredge, Living End and 4 GDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Bonus posted:

Uhhh, correction, it's TWO Eldrazi Tron, Dredge, Living End and 4 GDS

blame the chat for giving me wrong info on the fly

ha ha

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

After having one especially Death's Shadow heavy top 8, I predict a Street Wraith ban in the future and it will be Very Dumb (TM).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a feeling that people would try Gut Shot in its place.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

Or go back to Mutagenic Growth or Apostles Blessing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Eldrazi Tron vs Living End, game 1(so, no sideboarding yet). Tron goes T1 Chalice for 0 Relic on the play and T2 Expedition Map...except he never finds a second land and dies to faerie macabre street wraith etc beatdown

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

Eldrazi Tron vs Living End, game 1(so, no sideboarding yet). Tron goes T1 Chalice for 0 Relic on the play and T2 Expedition Map...except he never finds a second land and dies to faerie macabre street wraith etc beatdown

Yeah, that was a thing that happened. Woof.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

A lot of Phyrexian mana cards are going to bite the dust before they finally ban Death's Shadow because of the "enablers only" ban policy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
clearly the correct thing to do is to unban mental misstep

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mandatory lesbian posted:

clearly the correct thing to do is to unban mental misstep

loling because a guy at FNM legit suggested this with no thought on what the consequences would be

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember when that was a miserable three months of Legacy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

unban summer bloom

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ban Empty the Warrens.

Ban Grapeshot.

Unban Green Sun's Zenith.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Unban everything in Modern, then reban Hypergenesis, Git Probe, and Misstep.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Unban everything in Modern, then reban Hypergenesis, Git Probe, and Misstep.

Also Skullclamp.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

instantrunoffvote posted:

Also Skullclamp.

but..but...elves...

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's me, the guy casting Glimpse with Skullclamp out, drawing my whole deck in one turn.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unban all Magic cards. Ban all Magic players.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's me, the guy casting Glimpse with Skullclamp out, drawing my whole deck in one turn.

see this is where unironically i say unban mental misstep i know this just means elves plays it to counter other ones, mental misstep is such a lol card

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

The whole point is the cycling though, with the benefit of a creature in the yard for goyf. Not that you claimed it was equivalent.

Architects of Will is a very bad replacement I guess.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All that matters to me today is that Andrew Jessup and his fat loving head isn't in the finals. I don't care what deck he's playing.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Star Man posted:

All that matters to me today is that Andrew Jessup and his fat loving head isn't in the finals. I don't care what deck he's playing.

:agreed:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dehtraen posted:

Nice work. I'd be down to see the list, definitely is a deck that when your draws cooperate you can just clean up. I've been playing it lately because I really like pull from tomorrow

Deck: UR Control

//Permenents
4 Torrential Gearhulk

//Instant
3 Censor
1 Commit // Memory
1 Disallow
3 Void Shatter
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Harnessed Lightning
3 Magma Spray
3 Hieroglyphic Illumination
2 Essence Scatter
3 Negate
1 Pull from Tomorrow
1 Summary Dismissal

//Sorcery
2 Sweltering Suns
1 Incendiary Flow

//Lands
5 Mountain
8 Island
3 Spirebluff Canal
4 Aether Hub
4 Wandering Fumarole

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 By Force
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Dynavolt Tower
1 Trophy Mage
1 Sphinx of the Final Word
3 Thing in the Ice
1 Sweltering Suns
1 Overwhelming Denial
1 Commit // Memory

Display deck statistics

I think I benefitted from Vehicles and UW Flash being no where near the top tables. There is very little I can do about a few Resolved Gideons or Selfless Spirits. Two landers without a cycler are also a recipe for disaster. Void Shatter over Disallow was just a price issue, but it actually worked very well in the Zombies and GB matchups because they have no much recursion. The MVPs were Thing and Sphinx. Everyone boards out their removal even when they know you're going to the Thing sideboard plan because most of it is dead or will be countered.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

This finals matchup at SCG feels like it's going to be one of the fastest finals ever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Rough draft of a shirt that I would like to wear if I was ever on camera for a feature match:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Likin' all the vitriol, disappointing semi-finals & finals today

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

myDad posted:

Likin' all the vitriol, disappointing semi-finals & finals today

Todd finally winning one is pretty deece.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

Hear! Hear!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sickening posted:

Todd finally winning one is pretty deece.

True there's a silver lining

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

YggdrasilTM posted:

The same thing that happens after a while a more or less static format is intensively played: the "best deck" (or his more common cousin, the "best deck except for a couple of othrer decks that are MUCH worse against the rest of the field") is discovered, and suddenly you have a 3-4 deck metagame.

The only reason legacy is not like this is that it's a dying format and pro are not so interested in breaking it.

Honestly the problem is with Stubborn Denial being the best counter in the format and it's almost always activated with a DS out. Plus having a 4 toughness death's shadow is super easy, i've seen them on turn 3 pretty consistently. Storm can also be a turn 3 kill but you can at least interact with the combo, either in aggressive GY hate - killing the reducer or countering a key piece of the combo. With DS there is no way to interact with their health loss unless you mainboard Sanctity Leylines, which literally no one does.

DS is supposed to be a glass cannon, but is a howitzer instead.

All the other decks have very specific hate options, Grixis DS just has too many outs at the moment.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Death's shadow might be better than the rest of the format, but it did a really good job of throwing the boring interactive deck > aggro-combo > big mana rock-paper-scissors situation out the window.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
For everyone who;s thinking of getting one of those fast erase LCD writing tablets to keep life totals on, make sure you get one that has a changeable battery...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

For everyone who;s thinking of getting one of those fast erase LCD writing tablets to keep life totals on, make sure you get one that has a changeable battery...

Those boogie boards have lasted me for almost 2 years now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The clear button on mine broke a few weeks ago after like 2.5 years, and that's probably only because I usually use the tip of the stylus to push it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

gently caress that, the "disposable" one I have has lasted almost two years and was $10 plus tax. The only advice I have is to get a small one, because space is sometimes at a premium and you can score even a complicated game on one that can fit in your pocket.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Those boogie boards have lasted me for almost 2 years now.

Mine just brickd after a year and 10 months. Not horrible.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

so in a new article, SPBKASO wrote about how we should open up the hall of fame to those who don't play on the pro tour, in order to acknowledge people who contribute in other ways like, say, having a popular youtube channel in which you play janky decks on MODO.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Retromancer posted:

so in a new article, SPBKASO wrote about how we should open up the hall of fame to those who don't play on the pro tour, in order to acknowledge people who contribute in other ways like, say, having a popular youtube channel in which you play janky decks on MODO.
But the main thing about the hall of fame is it lets 'lifetime achievement' players play on the PT without having to grind out slots/points.
He just wants to add more slots to recognize all sorts of people because ???

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ein Sexmonster posted:

But the main thing about the hall of fame is it lets 'lifetime achievement' players play on the PT without having to grind out slots/points.
He just wants to add more slots to recognize all sorts of people because ???

So that Seth can somehow get recognized int he Magic Hall of Fame one day.

Seriously, that's all it is underneath all that writing. It's Seth screaming: "NOTICE ME, SENPAI!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i do find it kind of weird to have the creator of the game not be in the hall of fame as an honorary thing but eh, it doesn't matter