Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Statewide stay at home order and i still hear single engines tooling around every few minutes.
I know flying is awesome, but how about we be safe?
I don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

vessbot posted:

According to the latest NOTOF, (notice to Facebook) it's largely open again.

drat....

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Statewide stay at home order and i still hear single engines tooling around every few minutes.
I don't get it

5500 feet is a pretty good social distance tbh

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

:hai:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, if I had my own plane I'd totally be flying right now, by myself. It's basically the perfect solo activity IMHO.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't get it

You can live in a plane but can your house fly?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sagebrush posted:

Should be the title of the AI thread

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

:hmmyes:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Here in Compton we had maybe 5 people in the pattern. Maybe 1/3 of the normal traffic. Social distancing is a thing, people waving and saying hi but no one really dropping into hangars to see what’s being worked on.

Driving through Santa Monica today I saw hundreds of people having picnics at palisades park...weird times.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Here in Compton we had maybe 5 people in the pattern. Maybe 1/3 of the normal traffic. Social distancing is a thing, people waving and saying hi but no one really dropping into hangars to see what’s being worked on.

Driving through Santa Monica today I saw hundreds of people having picnics at palisades park...weird times.

Honestly I wouldn't mind my last experience before the apocalypse being a picnic at palisades park.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

I don't get it

????

People I come into contact with flying my airplane for 3 hours: 0.

????

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’m a little concerned about renting (if I wasn’t on hurt knee timeout), but bringing some disinfecting wipes and giving the controls a once over would probably be fine?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

dupersaurus posted:

I’m a little concerned about renting (if I wasn’t on hurt knee timeout), but bringing some disinfecting wipes and giving the controls a once over would probably be fine?

Would not recommend.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Captain Apollo posted:

????

People I come into contact with flying my airplane for 3 hours: 0.

????

If it's your personal plane and no one else uses it or is on your way to get to the plane, sure, I guess.

But as noted above, this thing can apparently live on surfaces longer than we initially think. So unless you disinfect literally the whole rented plane, I wouldn't trust it.
Plus, if you have to go through a clubhouse or something, that increases your exposure.

I know this sucks, I wanna fly too, but uh. We can wait a few weeks.

E: so long as said above post is not about flying with a bum knee.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:laugh:

I agree though. If I had a plane I'd be out there every day, the weather is getting gorgeous here. No thanks on getting a rental (that's flying right now because our dumb state has not gone full lockdown and the school is still flying).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I should suggest to my employer that we essentially lease our aircraft to renters for their exclusive use until the lockdown is over. That’d be a way to get at least some money rather than none, with minimal infection risk.

EDIT: I've just been notified that we're starting rentals next week again, with a discount and social distancing/disinfection procedures. I might get to fly by myself for once, god willing!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 22, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just got put on a charter to central WA at the end of the month for like 10 days into April.

Taking bets on if it happens.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I’d be really curious as to what those procedures are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Wipe everything down with Clorox wipes before and after every flight (so far, that’s what we doing before we closed.)

Yeah, it ain’t perfect, but given what we know about how the virus spreads it’s probably less risky than going to the grocery store.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Wouldn’t recommend Clorox or Lysol wipes, because the chemicals in them may potentially react to certain metals and cause corrosion.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Airplane prices coming down yet? I saw someone put their M20F up for sale today. Maybe a coincidence?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Captain Apollo posted:

I've been running a sani-com wipe over all the commonly used flight controls, then doing my preflight while holding one in my hand so that it's the contact point for all the buttons and switches. Finally I use one to sanitize the parts of the O2 mask that touch my face. I'll then gather all three and wipe down the areas where my phone/efb/coffee/ect. usually end up.

Apparently someone comes in and cleans them at night. They're actually doing because we keep finding switches that never get touched in non-normal positions. I'm just waiting until one of the cleaners hits an IDG DISC switch or drops the pax o2 masks.

Edit: Just got my 3rd first class seat in a row on my commute. I guess there's a silver lining to all this.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 23, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man someone at my 91/135 just left a month ago for Jet B and was let go today.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Man someone at my 91/135 just left a month ago for Jet B and was let go today.

Do you know how far back they furloughed?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I got my PPL a year ago. Sometimes 2 or 3 months will pass between me flying, due to my work (on a ship) and northern European winter weather. I often see people on the flying subreddit talk about getting rusty after not flying for a couple of months.

My worry is that I don't feel like that at all. It goes great when I finally do get up. I think there are 2 options.
1: I am some kind of flying savant.
2: (Far more likely) I don't know what I don't know. Maybe I am messing up in small ways that can potentially make the swiss cheese slices align?

Or maybe my PPL training is still so recent that I haven't developed bad habits yet?

I don't know. Any thoughts?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Do you know how far back they furloughed?

I’m looking into it, I’m not seeing much about furlough info on APC but they did apparently cancel classes 5 days before they started. That’s 2 whole days better than UAL. I don’t want to call my guy and bug him when he’s out of a job but he may have still been finishing class when let go.

This post was kind of an oof:

quote:

Just to give my 2 cents. I Was scheduled for the March 18th class, and although I was informed of the two day postponement early last week. I was never called or sent an email saying anything about cancelling of the class or postponing UFN. Even after numerous attempts on Friday 13th, No one from JB responded to my requests for information about my class, email or phone. So I’m not sure about anyone else in the March 18th class, but I was never contacted. If I didn’t have friends already at JB that leaked me information, I’d still getting ready to go to school this week.

Here’s my hot take: if your employer can cancel your start date 3 days out and leave you jobless, the courtesy period when quitting should shift from 2 weeks to 2 days notice.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That’s harsh as gently caress. Jet Blue? More like Jet Screw :anime:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
In other news, my charter trip to WA is still on and after calling charter sales the plan is for us to find a hotel and hunker down for 9 nights.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Per posted:

My worry is that I don't feel like that at all. It goes great when I finally do get up. I think there are 2 options.
2: (Far more likely) I don't know what I don't know. Maybe I am messing up in small ways that can potentially make the swiss cheese slices align?

3: hypoxia

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Per posted:

I got my PPL a year ago. Sometimes 2 or 3 months will pass between me flying, due to my work (on a ship) and northern European winter weather. I often see people on the flying subreddit talk about getting rusty after not flying for a couple of months.

Or maybe my PPL training is still so recent that I haven't developed bad habits yet?

I don't know. Any thoughts?

It varies from person to person. I've had people take a few months off without losing a step, others get rusty after a week. I've seen people who haven't flown in over two years and can meet flight test standard on most exercises.

My thought is that regardless of how you feel and what the legal requirements are, try to fly with a flight instructor on a somewhat regular basis, doing the sort of flights you would normally do alone instead of normal training lesson plans, and have them observe your technique and offer suggestions. It's possible an instructor will see things that you might not think about or notice, and be able to offer advice to improve your flying even if you're safe and proficient as it is. For example, I like having my students fly periodically with other instructors, because other instructors will often pick up something that I've missed, or be able to explain something in a slightly different way than I typically do. That doesn't mean I'm a bad instructor, it just means that having another set of eyes on your work can be really helpful.

If you choose to fly with an instructor, look at it as an opportunity to perfect your skills rather than a pass/fail thing or some kind of imposition. I love flying with licensed pilots who are already proficient because it gives me the chance to dig down and address the finer points of flying rather than correcting large mistakes or teaching new skills from the beginning.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Flew through New Orleans Class B tonight and it was DEAD. Only other traffic I heard on frequency besides company was a single Fed Ex aircraft landing.

Hit up Mobile later too and saw a ton of AA jets parking up 18/36 at Mobile Downtown. Didn’t hear a single airliner on frequency either. So weird.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If we get rentals going again I’m going to take advantage of the rare opportunity and do a stop and go at YYC, I think :v:

At least an approach, if I can’t convince them to waive the landing fee.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

If we get rentals going again I’m going to take advantage of the rare opportunity and do a stop and go at YYC, I think :v:

At least an approach, if I can’t convince them to waive the landing fee.

LaGuardia traffic Cessna 42069 making left traffic runway... the long one whatever student pilot LaGuardia.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

LaGuardia traffic Cessna 42069 making left traffic runway... the long one whatever student pilot LaGuardia.

But they would still get yelled at a little just to keep the NYC spirit alive

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

But they would still get yelled at a little just to keep the NYC spirit alive

Real poo poo

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

I've been running a sani-com wipe over all the commonly used flight controls, then doing my preflight while holding one in my hand so that it's the contact point for all the buttons and switches.

Just FYI. Sani-coms do NOT kill Covid-19.

My airline is was supplying Chlorox wipes to wipe down the flight deck along with mx cleaning it at night with alcohol.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I figured this was probably the best thread to ask this.

At what altitude does the sky at zenith become black during daytime? My experience from airliners at cruise altitude- from cabin seating- is that although the sky directly overhead is a dark blue, it’s still blue. At what point does that become black, and at what point are the stars visible during the daytime?

I’d guess that’s probably around 60,000 feet so I expect the number of people with personal experience is very limited, but I’m curious if anyone knows or has heard around what altitude this occurs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

More like 70k ft based on the James May flight footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PmYItnlY5M

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Here's external gopro from 55k, jump to 10:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3berbDxzFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

A sharp contrast to the release a few days ago that they were only going to cut 200 flights a day and park 30 jets.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...navirus-crisis/