Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
New patch for MMod just dropped that fixes a ton of bugs and makes switching between each HL2 game much easier. Some people are still reporting bugs but I'm about a 3rd through HL2's campaign and haven't run into any showstoppers, and I already played through Ep 1 and 2 without problems. Anyone interested in playing through HL2 again, now is the perfect time. This fucken mod slaps.

Shoehead posted:

Happy new year old fps thread have a bouncing Cacodemon

Happy New Year to you too Bouncing Cacofriend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
bouncing happy caco is the energy to take into 2019

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

New patch for MMod just dropped that fixes a ton of bugs and makes switching between each HL2 game much easier. Some people are still reporting bugs but I'm about a 3rd through HL2's campaign and haven't run into any showstoppers, and I already played through Ep 1 and 2 without problems. Anyone interested in playing through HL2 again, now is the perfect time. This fucken mod slaps.

Happy New Year to you too Bouncing Cacofriend!

And now ModDB's servers are down, and people are throwing a tantrum in the download comments. This mod just can't catch a break. If you could throw v1.1.2 up on google drive, it'd make a lot of people very happy.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

treat posted:

And now ModDB's servers are down, and people are throwing a tantrum in the download comments. This mod just can't catch a break. If you could throw v1.1.2 up on google drive, it'd make a lot of people very happy.

The devs already did, here's the link!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sRH4FOiTcHY7Pc5KdB1NFJY5_FsKgHPr/view This one looks like it has a few extra fixes too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The devs already did, here's the link!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sRH4FOiTcHY7Pc5KdB1NFJY5_FsKgHPr/view This one looks like it has a few extra fixes too.

Thank you! There are entirely too many different versions/fixes for this update already floating around. I'm going to bet it all on this one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This is the very latest release of MMod, as of 42 minutes ago.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sRH4FOiTcHY7Pc5KdB1NFJY5_FsKgHPr/view
E: OK, sure enough, same as above.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m replaying thru the entire Half Life series. Man, to me these games really hold up. The sense of forward momentum and progression and environment story telling is still top notch. I’m only maybe halfway thru HL1 but it’s such a fun game. How are the Metro games? I just bought them on sale and heard they are pretty good and sort of similar to Half-life.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

chaosapiant posted:

So I’m replaying thru the entire Half Life series. Man, to me these games really hold up. The sense of forward momentum and progression and environment story telling is still top notch. I’m only maybe halfway thru HL1 but it’s such a fun game. How are the Metro games? I just bought them on sale and heard they are pretty good and sort of similar to Half-life.

Good. Solid push forward. A bit less diversity in setting and set pieces than HL/2, but fits strongly into the mold of climax of scene followed by cool off in game visit to a metro stop to world build.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chaosapiant posted:

How are the Metro games? I just bought them on sale and heard they are pretty good and sort of similar to Half-life.

I love the Metro games. Nowadays with Redux and all of the integrated content, the weapon selection is great, and a lot of the guns feel very novel (like a pneumatic "rifle" that fires ball bearings and needs to be manually pumped periodically to keep its PSI up--which also allows you to overcharge it for extra damage); the way the game insists on everything happening in first person--whether it's breaking out a charger to prime your night vision or wiping gunk off of your goggles--makes the game feel a lot more immersive. At the same time, the game is packed full of tight, crumbling metro tunnels...and even when you do get into larger exterior spaces, your reliance on gas masks helps maintain this distinct sort of claustrophobia that a lot of games can't replicate. Seriously, the gasping sound your character makes when their filter starts going bad remains this oppressive sensation throughout both games--especially when you're low on filters and far from safety.

I've actually never considered the potential similarities between Half-Life and Metro. They're both relatively linear story-drive FPS games, but Metro involves a lot more interaction and cooperation with "friendly" NPCs (at least until you hit Half-Life 2). Metro also has an economy and allows you to buy/trade equipment at hubs, as well as modify weapons. I suppose if somebody enjoys the Half-Life series, there's a good chance they'd also enjoy Metro, but I can't say they're too close to one another. They're both awesome series that I'd recommend to FPS fans, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

I haven't played the second one, but I think the first one does kinda scratch the same itch. Just remember to listen to the pipes.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really loved the first Metro (and the redux ver) but I never could get into the second one. I may just have to go with combat difficulty and armor just to have some more fun because playing the first metro like a survival horror was what really drew me in. Played and beat the first one on whatever the immersive "No HUD, everything dies quickly and you have no resources" difficulty mode. Y'ever tried to complete nearly half of a surface section with a nearly broken mask and a minute or two of filter time?

THOSE LIBRARIANS AH LEAVE ME ALONE

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ETPC posted:

bouncing happy caco is the energy to take into 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not a wimpy teen anymore, so Ravenholm is no longer that frightening, but the sounds the various zombies make is still creepy as hell. Especially when you light them on fire.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mordja posted:

Especially when you light them on fire.

You mean this sound? :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CP30zgAw2o

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Huh, I think the mod actually plays those sounds forward, I forgot they were reversed in the first place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MMOD's greatest sin is reversing the zombie sounds so that they play forward instead of backward. I don't really mind it though, it's creepy either way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yabba my icing is a national treasure

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Metro games are probably the most atmospheric shooters I've played. The second game trips in spots, but I usually replay them once a year.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Having not played Metro yet, is it worth getting the Redux version if I already own the original?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I found Redux ran much, much better than the original 2033 on my old computer. I imagine if you have a better computer than I had (not hard at all) that won't be as much of an issue though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Definitely get Metro Redux. It backports a lot of really good and useful mechanics from Last Light to 2033 along with the general graphics and engine improvements. It unifies the two games so that they have the same controls etc, and eliminates much of the first-installment clunkiness 2033 had.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Now we need a Cacodemon space hopper.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shoehead posted:

:3:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I want a cacodemon bouncy ball or a squeeze ball now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How’s Wolfenstein 2009? Is it worth it to get if I wanna complete my collection, or do the new games + RTCW make it superfluous?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

How’s Wolfenstein 2009? Is it worth it to get if I wanna complete my collection, or do the new games + RTCW make it superfluous?

It's "$20 or less" good. The campaign's pretty fun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

chaosapiant posted:

Plan Z posted:

It's "$20 or less" good. The campaign's pretty fun.

It's a solid campaign and worth a playthrough I feel

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

chaosapiant posted:

If you get it and find it's not challenging enough you might be interested in: https://www.moddb.com/mods/retrostein

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

I want a cacodemon bouncy ball or a squeeze ball now.

Surprised nobody's made a Cacodemon stress ball.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein 2009 is the best FPS single player campaign released in the last decade, which isn't hard when its competition was slow war cover shooter or slow sci-fi shooter.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shoehead posted:

When I was daydreaming about a Space Harrier TC for Doom I fantasized about this exact enemy

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Angry_Ed posted:

Surprised nobody's made a Cacodemon stress ball.

hasn't the Hissy family suffered enough!?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I really liked it but some people really didn't like it.
Has lots of interesting things going for it like proper levels connected by a hub you can explore and find (useful) secrets in, magic energy that makes enemies float, pretty solid shooting. It's a quality Raven fps through and through.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

GUI posted:

Wolfenstein 2009 is the best FPS single player campaign released in the last decade, which isn't hard when its competition was slow war cover shooter or slow sci-fi shooter.

:colbert: Plenty of competition in that field, chief (I mean, depending on your definition of slow I guess):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72S2aAxtZOs&t=798s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1SfLvx7sKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5EYVwpP7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5lu4Gyb1KM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoRbNs9bDk

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dishonored is not an FPS. :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I suppose by "last decade", GUI meant "previous decade", 2001-2010.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

You know if I can say Dishonered did something unique, it's one of the few first-person games that make you feel as badass or even moreso than actions done by people with similar powers in cutscenes. I just watched that video and there's a part where an enemy shoots a bullet, the player possesses the enemy, then walks him in front of that bullet in slow-mo to kill him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm the only person on earth that didn't like new doom and i feel bad about it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I suppose by "last decade", GUI meant "previous decade", 2001-2010.

I'm not sure I'd give it "best FPS of 2001-2010", but it's at least a contender.

chaosapiant posted:

It's better than The New Order, and while I don't think I can meaningfully compare it to RTCW it's definitely aged a lot better than RTCW did. IMO it's Raven's best game, and I could listen to the particle cannon vaporizing Nazis for hours. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

It's pretty fun once you get far enough to start plowing through all the Nazis. It doesn't do anything interesting with the hub level, unfortunately, which makes it kind of a pain in the rear end to get through on your way to whatever mission you're playing.