Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Subjunctive posted:

man, I keep getting into situations in Cogmind where I can’t run away effectively, so it turns into a shootout and then a race between me finding the stairs and reinforcements arriving. couldn’t make recalls land on the level 2 terminals, either

I don’t really want to go to wheels because I’m still just in the first few levels and really need to carry a lot of poo poo

Wheels are actually pretty decent early on, especially for going overweight! Of all the propulsion types, their overweight penalty is actually super tiny, so you can go 2x-3x over your max and still be trundling along faster than treads. The trouble is that a) wheels never really upgrade, so they eventually fall off (also literally, they have no hp), and much more importantly b) being overweight has a few subtle penalties, such as traps having a 100% chance to trigger on you - beware.

Very early on the Materials levels are tiny and so you don't really have any ways of walking around the patrols, so it's kind of a first-world problem in that you tend to encounter everything on the level whether you want to or not. Identifying where the stairs are and running perpendicular to the reinforcements might cut you some slack? Hacks like recall are like winning a scratchy - nice, but I wouldn't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How many classes are there in Rabbit & Steel, by the way?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serephina posted:

Wheels are actually pretty decent early on, especially for going overweight! Of all the propulsion types, their overweight penalty is actually super tiny, so you can go 2x-3x over your max and still be trundling along faster than treads. The trouble is that a) wheels never really upgrade, so they eventually fall off (also literally, they have no hp), and much more importantly b) being overweight has a few subtle penalties, such as traps having a 100% chance to trigger on you - beware.

Oh, I thought treads had the small overweight penalty! I might do treads for the first level or two because they look more robust for the inevitable fights, and try mining laser to make my own paths. I keep having the engineers rebuild the walls right under me, and if I shoot them to make them go away then other ones flood in.

Also I hate heat for the first few levels because there is just no room for a heat sink and so many good weapons generate a ton. Something I’m missing there!

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

goferchan posted:

Oh you joke but those guys absolutely exist, and you should try telling one your favorite shmup is Tyrian 2000

That and the Fallout demo were top tier shareware in the mid 90s :dukedog:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Azran posted:

How many classes are there in Rabbit & Steel, by the way?

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Important Dredmor update:

https://twitter.com/GaslampGames/status/1789899689338265792

We finally fixed the wand repair achievement bug.

(also, you know, THE PROCESS continues and you should really get on the mailing list! https://gaslampgames.com/mailing/)

nvining fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 13, 2024

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Welcome back and all the best on the mad endeavoring underway and still to come.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

absolutely massive update to mortal sin, basically reworked level gen across the whole game

been a lot of other qol updates as well, the dev is really plugged in to their community

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1494810/view/4211505869010190270?l=english

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

nvining posted:

(also, you know, THE PROCESS continues and you should really get on the mailing list! https://gaslampgames.com/mailing/)

I remember the blog entries from David doing a postmortem of the company and the games and all that happened.
https://www.dgbaumgart.com/blog.html

I wonder what changed after all these years...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
499 wands to go :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gatekeeper is out in EA, kinda isometric risk of rain 2 vibes: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2106670/Gatekeeper/

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
does Achra have any meta progression or unlocks? been in the mood for a solid roguelike but wanna make sure it’s an authentic one

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

Gatekeeper is out in EA, kinda isometric risk of rain 2 vibes: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2106670/Gatekeeper/

That art style is very reminiscent of RoR2 yeah, and it's also a coop action roguelike like RoR; although it doesn't seem to me it has the time mechanic of RoR which is central to the game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Radia posted:

does Achra have any meta progression or unlocks? been in the mood for a solid roguelike but wanna make sure it’s an authentic one

The ambiguity of whether or not metaprog is authentic to roguelikes or not is excellent here.

It does. You unlock new character options over several plays.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SettingSun posted:

The ambiguity of whether or not metaprog is authentic to roguelikes or not is excellent here.

also cackling at the timing of that with a game called gatekeeper coming out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SettingSun posted:

It does. You unlock new character options over several plays.

You also unlock things faster than you can use them. There is escalating difficulty as you keep winning, if want to use it. None of the unlocks are deliberately stronger than anything else.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

nvining posted:

Very cool. Looking forward to playing some more Dredmor in the future.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

victrix posted:

absolutely massive update to mortal sin, basically reworked level gen across the whole game

been a lot of other qol updates as well, the dev is really plugged in to their community

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1494810/view/4211505869010190270?l=english

This is one I've been eyeing for awhile, seems a real good time to pick it up. Thanks for letting us know about the update

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Astral Ascent also just got a giant update, pushing destiny up to level 100, which includes fights against two zodiacs at once and zodiacs and elites during the final fight :catstare:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1280930/view/4174351172250488640

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I had a lot of fun with Mortal Sin. The different classes have gimmicks that make them feel different to play, there are cool builds you can get with your armor perks that make you feel like a God (until your hubris runs you into a saw trap), and it's just a really unique game.

The combat feels weighty and was what kept me coming back for more runs. I'm working on beating the harder difficulty and true to it's name it's quite difficult. I would highly recommend it. The only turn off for some people is going to be the graphics. That being said, once you play for a bit you start to appreciate the unique look of everything.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'd absolutely be down with a modern update to Dredmore to let it take advantage of higher UI scaling/etc. It's a solid game with good bones.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i never really got into dredmor since the inventory management was absolutely atrocious but if they fixed that i would be interested to try it again

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

victrix posted:

That looks really good, gonna pick it up this weekend and report back

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Radia posted:

Yes, but it's very light. The only unlocks are new starting options, and I'm pretty sure that's just to avoid overwhelming the player - all the in-game content like abilities are available from the get-go and that's a lot to process already. You never had to grind to unlock anything either, it just gives you a new option or two every run. You could maybe argue that makes it not "authentic" but the way I see it, a RL like DCSS gives you all the class options at the start and slowly offers you spells and abilities over time, and Achra is simply going for the opposite approach. Heck, in a way it's more freeing than traditional RLs because those starting options aren't subject to RNG.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 13, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I thought treads had the small overweight penalty! I might do treads for the first level or two because they look more robust for the inevitable fights, and try mining laser to make my own paths. I keep having the engineers rebuild the walls right under me, and if I shoot them to make them go away then other ones flood in.

Also I hate heat for the first few levels because there is just no room for a heat sink and so many good weapons generate a ton. Something I’m missing there!

the dev has a great video about the early game: https://youtu.be/Ml0to9JTQqw

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m really struggling with achra c24 monofire, i got all the other monos at c24 but haven’t found something that works yet. I’ve tried variations on newtform and beastmaster and chanting…

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I never got anywhere close to a Dredmor win, I think my best was floor 7?

But I loved it. So many wacky options and builds, and the humor hit right on for me. Excellent game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've only won on easy, using the completely busted steampunk knight skill line.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Last time I played ages ago I secured victory for the workers with the Communist tree. IIRC, the communist power armor was slightly better than the other power armors and gave you resist against the frost aura you could proc as a communist (naturally). I think the tree had a decent heal, too, and it had synergy with a later skill that let you maybe shuffle or nullify the random debuff in case you got the one that drained your coffers. So you could always wait until unlocking it to help manage your debuffs. I'm not a filthy revisionist though and just unloaded the unfettered might of ML thought against the diggles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't think I ever got a win after they buffed the final boss, but I had several from before then. Dredmor was a lot of fun back in the day!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I still think about the Banker skill tree from Dredmor sometimes. Make money out of nowhere! Push the negative consequences onto other people, most of the time! Absolutely delightful both as concept and satire.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anyone played The Land Beneath Us? It's out in consoles and looks interesting

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i played the demo. it was kind of neat but i dunno how deep it is. i added it to my wishlist but im waiting for a good sale

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

I can't find the post now, but I saw someone mentioning having trouble with the Angra victory for Path of Achra. I'm not usually able to add anything to roguelike discussions, but I did just get a victory with an Arba Secutor:

They spawn a vine every time they stand still, so you can use Angra's self destructing allies gimmick to trigger 'on ally death' effects constantly. I went with Death Knight, but there's a Fire and Death prestige class that might work too.
I had a first attempt at the build as a Warrior, but died before I unlocked any prestige classes. The Gladiator's healing every game turn keeps you alive until then. I left Grave Chant as the very last skill to unlock since you don't want self damage before you have reliable healing. After that stack Necrokinesis to attack every time you heal, which is every time an ally dies, which is now happening on every action you take.

No idea how this does beyond the First Cycle, especially as it gets difficult to recharge the prayers since you're killing enemies at range. Still seemed better that way though, so far it's felt like stand still builds are much stronger, since closest enemy attacks will cross the screen if that's where the last enemy is.

neon flame fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 13, 2024

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dredmor was honestly a pretty cool game, and I think it mostly still holds up. It's got some issues (inventory management, skill tree balance, and dredmor being kinda a lovely boss) but the core gameplay and character customization are still really fun.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Awesome! posted:

i played the demo. it was kind of neat but i dunno how deep it is. i added it to my wishlist but im waiting for a good sale

It's 20% off on Switch

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Building your character up out of a selection of skill lines was such a good idea.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Chaotic Flame posted:

It's 20% off on Switch

yeah same on steam. i was thinking more like 50%. the demo definitely didnt make me say "i need to play this right now" even though it wasnt bad.

realistically it wouldnt surprise me at all if it just sits on my wishlist for 2 years and i purge it without buying.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just noticed that Star Crawlers: Chimera reached full release status a few days ago. I haven't played it since shortly after EA launch back in 2021 and I liked what I saw of it, but it sold almost nothing and then I legitimately thought it was abandoned in 2022 because it didn't receive a single update between February and November. Has anyone played it since development picked back up in 2023?

It was essentially Star Crawlers: Dungeons of Dredmor edition from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

neon flame posted:

I can't find the post now, but I saw someone mentioning having trouble with the Angra victory for Path of Achra. I'm not usually able to add anything to roguelike discussions, but I did just get a victory with an Arba Secutor:

They spawn a vine every time they stand still, so you can use Angra's self destructing allies gimmick to trigger 'on ally death' effects constantly. I went with Death Knight, but there's a Fire and Death prestige class that might work too.
I had a first attempt at the build as a Warrior, but died before I unlocked any prestige classes. The Gladiator's healing every game turn keeps you alive until then. I left Grave Chant as the very last skill to unlock since you don't want self damage before you have reliable healing. After that stack Necrokinesis to attack every time you heal, which is every time an ally dies, which is now happening on every action you take.

No idea how this does beyond the First Cycle, especially as it gets difficult to recharge the prayers since you're killing enemies at range. Still seemed better that way though, so far it's felt like stand still builds are much stronger, since closest enemy attacks will cross the screen if that's where the last enemy is.

I don’t think kinesis stacking works very well on high cycles but this seems like a really solid build