Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

Cars are going to be so much cooler and better once there's an energy storage solution that's at least an order of magnitude more energy dense and/or faster to recharge than current battery technology, too bad we'll all be either dead or just plain old as poo poo by then

I'm doubtful we'll make huge strides in energy denisty (Altho I do think ten years time it'll be a fair bit better than now) but I suspect charging speed will change get a lot faster just simply due to the time and effort people are going to be putting into it. There's money to be made after all and clearly the five minute recharge is the big target.

Oft repeated but in 2010 we had not a clue what EV's would be in 2020 and you would have been laughed out of the forum for suggesting Tesla would even be alive after the Top Gear debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

EVOs, GTOs/3000GTs, and 2G DSMs are all good though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

All y'all seem hell-bent on passing judgment on my driving skills from a few misunderstood sentences.

You're specifically complaining that the car won't accelerate though. It will, you just need to actually get it into the power band to do so. Then again, I don't own any cars with less than 350ftlbs and I floor it everywhere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

Then again, I don't own any cars with more than 250ftlbs and I floor it everywhere.

:hmmyes:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oft repeated but in 2010 we had not a clue what EV's would be in 2020 and you would have been laughed out of the forum for suggesting Tesla would even be alive after the Top Gear debacle.
Whatever we think about Bill Gates he was spot on in that we tend to overestimate what will happen in 3 years and underestimate what will happen in 10

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Bandire posted:

This. Top gear in cars is generally for fuel efficient highway cruising, not accelerating out of a school zone. Even at 400+ horsepower, my Mustang struggles to accelerate under 45mph in 6th.
That my coyote recollection too. But coyote, even having a good amount of torque, doesn't have it at a particularly low RPM.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
If you treat the coyote like I do and pretend it's a Honda with Vtech it's a good time lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Any car sold today should be able to reach Interstate speeds in the length of an typical on-ramp. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Though I suppose that's more "30 to 75" performance than "0 to 60"

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BrownieVK posted:

If you treat the coyote like I do and pretend it's a Honda with Vtech it's a good time lol

Yup. It ain't a pushrod V8, you gotta wind it out to have fun. Which is fine.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

FuturePastNow posted:

Any car sold today should be able to reach Interstate speeds in the length of an typical on-ramp. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Though I suppose that's more "30 to 75" performance than "0 to 60"

I think it was Jason Cammisa that said 5-60 times are way more relevant than 0-60. I think car and driver are the ones that test 5-60, but there might be others.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I agree with that opinion absolutely. The extra power derived by revving the engine and dumping the clutch isn't relevant to other tests of performance, but starting from a locked clutch gives you a good sense of how the engine builds power across the band.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I loved my 160hp Focus. Got to mash the pedal down daily.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
RPMs are good, you should make the engine do lots of them, and if you disagree then you're wrong and bad.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Modus Man posted:

I think it was Jason Cammisa that said 5-60 times are way more relevant than 0-60. I think car and driver are the ones that test 5-60, but there might be others.
5-60 absolutely, as well as a 30-70 type of test.

BrownieVK posted:

Yup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hell throw in 0-25 for urban driving and prius epeen

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

30-70 is the all important two lane road passing confidence metric. I don't need my car to be fast, I just need to know that at any reasonable speed I can drop a gear and pass a truck with a camper on a dotted yellow line without it taking too long.

This is why I want a fairly powerful car, not to race stoplight to stoplight, but for the comfort that knowing I can get out of situations that need a dab of speed easily.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 28, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Really like this bit by Cammisa about 0-60 times and why they are bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igqKJymzv90

Skip to 48:10 if that link doesn’t take you there for whatever reason

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Modus Man posted:

I started caring way more about 5-60 vs 0-60 as I not clutch dumping or doing loving launch control each time I drive.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Gangringo posted:

30-70 is the all important two lane road passing confidence metric. I don't need my car to be fast, I just need to know that at any reasonable speed I can drop a gear and pass a truck with a camper on a dotted yellow line without it taking too long.

This is why I want a fairly powerful car, not to race stoplight to stoplight, but for the comfort that knowing I can get out of situations that need a dab of speed easily.

I always remember Clarkson's review of one of the AMG 65 Mercs that had like 700+ lbs/ft of torque. The whole thing was mostly "lol this might be excessive" but it was the sheer overtaking ability that really sold him on it. He'd be cruising along a two-lane road at 40 and then pass three cars in front of him in as many seconds.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gangringo posted:

It's interesting how little top-end HP matters for this as well compared to transmission performance, the engine's ability to rev quickly, and the car's weight. Difference between fast and quick I guess.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got some wheel spin passing someone in 3rd a couple weeks back. I think that hurts my 50-90 time

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

From noted hive of scum, villainy, and boomers, CorvetteForum, RE: 2021 Corvette changes -

quote:

Finally, the Buckle to Drive feature, which won’t let the driver shift out of park until they’ve had their seat belt buckled for at least 20 seconds, is also standard.

:raise:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MrYenko posted:

From noted hive of scum, villainy, and boomers, CorvetteForum, RE: 2021 Corvette changes -

*scratches C8 off the list of potential getaway vehicles.*

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

20 seconds? What's the value of that delay?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrYenko posted:

Well thats gonna piss a few people off

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Most boomers can't even fit in the C8 already

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zorak of Michigan posted:

20 seconds? What's the value of that delay?

That's my question. Seems like an eternity if you count it out. I probably am at least that long before I start to move the car because I like to check the radio, mirrors, etc, but seems like a while. I do hate it when people immediately go into reverse without any thought at all. 5-10 seconds seems better? I've noticed Euro taxi drivers often plug it in and unplug it immediately to silence the chime. Maybe boomers do that too.

edit: Isn't Buckle to Drive an opt-in thing for parents of teenagers? That's what Chevy does for other cars.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Seems about right for how long I let me car warm up before I set out. Honestly booting the god drat infotainment seems to take ages more so than idle rpms coming down.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

TheBacon posted:

Seems about right for how long I let me car warm up before I set out.

TheBacon posted:

how long I let me car warm up

TheBacon posted:

I let me car warm up

Ayyy, matey, 'tis a powerful machine, scupper the bilges me hearty!

Arrr.

(I buckle my belt as I'm reversing out of my driveway, so I'm gonna go ahead and rate this "feature" a solid fuckyou out of 10).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Ayyy, matey, 'tis a powerful machine, scupper the bilges me hearty!

Arrr.

(I buckle my belt as I'm reversing out of my driveway, so I'm gonna go ahead and rate this "feature" a solid fuckyou out of 10).

I understand it hasn't been needed since fuel injection, but it still makes me feel better and it makes me make sure to always check extra careful for children and pedestrians before starting to back out. I like the routine and rhythm of it alright!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

On one hand I think 20 seconds is a bit much, but on the other hand it angers and hurts old racist fucks on corvetteforum.com

Toss up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Charles posted:

edit: Isn't Buckle to Drive an opt-in thing for parents of teenagers? That's what Chevy does for other cars.

I at least hope you can turn it off, or it's just part of some "give it to your teenaged kid" restricted mode.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Neo_Crimson posted:

I at least hope you can turn it off, or it's just part of some "give it to your teenaged kid" restricted mode.

Yes it's like Ford MyTouch where you can set restrictions for certain keys, at least on other Chevys.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/chevy-buckle-to-drive-seatbelt-shifter-teen-drivers/

Edit: I mean read the description, it's not even that bad, geez.

quote:

If the car starts without the seatbelt buckled, the shifter is locked out for up to 20 seconds or until the driver buckles the seatbelt, whichever comes first. The lock-out only lasts for a maximum of 20 seconds, though, whether the seatbelt was fastened or not. When asked why the 20-second time frame, a representative from Chevy said that "over 70% of drivers try to shift out of park within 20 seconds of turning the vehicle ON, so we feel that the 20 second timing will capture the most natural habits and encourage teens to buckle up before they head out on the road."

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Just timed it in the 340, it takes about 20 seconds for the engine to get to operating idle. It’s really not that long, but it doesn’t lock you out.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Lol if you aren’t doing 6,000 rpm clutch dumps immediately after starting your car in -40 degree weather just lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Lol if you aren’t doing 6,000 rpm clutch dumps immediately after starting your car in -40 degree weather just lol

In a car with a 5500 RPM redline.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Camry 0-60 pull dot youtube

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ughhh Doug's RS6 review is up today. I need this thing in my life :( Looks so good in red...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

China appear to be getting better at design. I kinda dig this retro smoovboy.

https://twitter.com/salvadorhdzmtz/status/1310923110246424576?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Speaking of better at design, here's the patent images for the next gen Civic.

Overall, I like it. Toned down from the previous gen's styling. Though the headlights look awkward from the front, but hopefully that looks better in person.