Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Last Celebration posted:

Hey question. Is the Switch port of Witcher 3 passable? Cause normally my assumption would be “lol gently caress no, look at how it runs on lastgen hardware” but I kinda assume it would be mercilessly lambasted if it actually were that bad, like the GTA Definitive Trilogy. Or, you know, certain other CD Project games. :v:

I have not played it, but the graphical experience does seems to be very reduced. I had a friend that picked it up as the switch was their only console and they did not have a gaming pc of any kind, and they had fun, but if you have another option i would take that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve already beaten the main story, I just figured if the downsides are mainly graphical then being able to play in bed would be pretty sweet for a replay if that’s the only problem. But like I mentioned, Witcher 3 gave me more problems than I’m used to wrt performance for a game so I wasn’t sure if it would be remotely stable on something weaker than a PS4.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's Fine for a switch port, just yeah graphically a lot lower quality

it also supports steam/gog crosssaves so if you want to double dip you can just jump back and forth

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
iirc from what others have said, it's a good experience when docked, but absolutely chews through the battery in handheld mode.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I played a hundred plus hours on Witcher 3 on switch and it was fine (fair warning tho, about 10 of those hours were spent staring at loading screens, so don't pick a difficulty where you'd expect to die a lot)

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Switch version is fine. I’ve done 4 plays on pc and doing one on switch now. The graphics are way worse but not that bad, and loading times aren’t great but that is usually only a problem starting the game.

Other than ability to use mods, I don’t think your losing anything on the switch version.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can use some mods if you have the ability to mod your switch, just nothing that uses mod scripting or changing textures.
Which admittedly cuts out quite a large amount of mods. but i used the weight limit mod on my switch playthrough to great effect, for example.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Last Celebration posted:

Hey question. Is the Switch port of Witcher 3 passable? Cause normally my assumption would be “lol gently caress no, look at how it runs on lastgen hardware” but I kinda assume it would be mercilessly lambasted if it actually were that bad, like the GTA Definitive Trilogy. Or, you know, certain other CD Project games. :v:
Considering the hardware it's running on, the Switch version of Witcher 3 is absolutely incredible. The graphics obviously take a hit, but it doesn't really run any worse than the other console versions and even with the visual cuts it still looks like Witcher 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLKOLverlr0

Patch 3.6 a few months after launch added Steam and GOG cross-saves and a graphics settings menu, so you can adjust a bunch of stuff and disable the overblown anti-aliasing that makes the world look like you're staring at it through beer goggles.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFD68Q_bwN8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERGXLY_OHhw

I think the new composer for Season 2 is a fan of the games. It sounds like a blend of the Kaer Morhen theme, The Vagabond and the Netflix Season 1 theme.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I’m replaying the this on pc for the first time since it came out and boy does the hacking, wheezing, spitting and coughing from random townsfolk hit MUCH different while living through a pandemic.

Weird how something that I pretty much ignored the first time around REALLY skeeves me out because of real world circumstance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwngBL6E_0

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bangfucker 69 posted:

I’m replaying the this on pc for the first time since it came out and boy does the hacking, wheezing, spitting and coughing from random townsfolk hit MUCH different while living through a pandemic.

Weird how something that I pretty much ignored the first time around REALLY skeeves me out because of real world circumstance.

Well in the Witcher the North is freshly recovering from bubonic plague so actually you are, ahem, appreciating some ludonarrative consonance good sir.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Doing another playthrough and found a small thing I hadn’t seen before in the Towerful of Mice quest I’d always gone through the tower with a torch or the cat potion but had neither this time and had to keep the magic lamp on the whole time. Turns out Annabel’s ghost is visible on each level running up to escape the peasants, it’s not part of any ghost vignette scene thingy so I’d never seen that before! I’m sure lots of people’ve seen that but I somehow missed it in every playthrough so far

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Need some technical help. The new season has encouraged me to pick my current playthrough (5th one at that!) of Witcher 3 back up. I'm noticing a very slight "stutter" when turning the camera. It goes away when I disable hairworks. This is a system that can run Witcher 3 on ultimate with mods and the HD Reworked mod at over 100fps, so it's not a matter of not having the hardware, and it's never happened before. I have an FPS counter that's showing my FPS as being pegged at 144 so the stuttering doesn't appear to be the game dropping frames. It's hard to explain other than the slight stutter. Anyone else run into this and know what I can do to fix it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Do you have a freesync/gsync monitor? Might be a conflict between two different syncs occurring.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Do you have a freesync/gsync monitor? Might be a conflict between two different syncs occurring.

I have a free sync monitor, but it’s “not compatible” with my RTX 3070, so I keep it disabled and just use regular vsync.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chaosapiant posted:

I have a free sync monitor, but it’s “not compatible” with my RTX 3070, so I keep it disabled and just use regular vsync.

You should be able to use FreeSync with a 3070. You'll need to connect your monitor via DisplayPort, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rinkles posted:

You should be able to use FreeSync with a 3070. You'll need to connect your monitor via DisplayPort, though.

I know. I had vsync working earlier in the year but at some point a new driver package made it not work. I can enable it just fine but I started noticing page tearing again. A lot. Then I downloaded Nvidia’s Gsync demo, and I can’t even select the gsync option, it just bounces right back to either vsync on or vsync off. Not sure which was the last driver my monitor worked with, but research has taught me that even though my monitor is incompatible, it’s still a possibility but no guarantee it’ll actually work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chaosapiant posted:

I know. I had vsync working earlier in the year but at some point a new driver package made it not work. I can enable it just fine but I started noticing page tearing again. A lot. Then I downloaded Nvidia’s Gsync demo, and I can’t even select the gsync option, it just bounces right back to either vsync on or vsync off. Not sure which was the last driver my monitor worked with, but research has taught me that even though my monitor is incompatible, it’s still a possibility but no guarantee it’ll actually work.

Hmm, you could ask the monitor thread for advice. I have a Freesync monitor but unfortunately not a card that supports it, so don't have any first hand experience.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jumping in for more wotcher and I'm wondering if I should update my mod list, what with the OP being four years old and me not recalling if I used anything out of the ordinary the last time around. I'm thinking map/quest stuff, auto-oils, durability/weight fixes, fall damage/shallow jumping, dyes everywhere.

What am I missing, you reckon? I'm aiming for a playthrough with minimal management (hence no durability and peak weight limit), just a fun romp where I still get the satisfaction of collecting stuff and crafting poo poo.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Black Griffon posted:

Jumping in for more wotcher and I'm wondering if I should update my mod list, what with the OP being four years old and me not recalling if I used anything out of the ordinary the last time around. I'm thinking map/quest stuff, auto-oils, durability/weight fixes, fall damage/shallow jumping, dyes everywhere.

What am I missing, you reckon? I'm aiming for a playthrough with minimal management (hence no durability and peak weight limit), just a fun romp where I still get the satisfaction of collecting stuff and crafting poo poo.

I would also recommend Indestructible Boats, to help navigate Skellige without worrying about getting sunk by the many random flying monsters. And considering how many underwater question marks are in Skellige...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never had a boat sink or have more than one piece of wood torn off. Just keep sailing and sirens and such don’t catch up with you.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Don't forget you can "sprint" in boats. That way nothing should catch up with you.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Finished season 2 of the show, its good and better than season 1, that is my review.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 2 was cool and mostly good. Didn't care much for Gaunter O'Crone though. Give me master mirror if you're going to use a sadistic wish maker.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

Season 2 was cool and mostly good. Didn't care much for Gaunter O'Crone though. Give me master mirror if you're going to use a sadistic wish maker.

I’m waffling on her a lot. I think the idea was “we need a unifying force/threat in the show to motivate characters to get where they need to be when the Thanned Coup goes off.”

Also, TV show prediction: The elves and other non-humans likely won’t form the Scoi’Tael. They’ll likely be there own separate faction vying for power and control of Ciri.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think we'll still get the squirrels in some capacity. The show has established Filevandrel as a moral compass for Francesca and if the coup plays out like in the books they'll gently caress off to Dol Blathanna while the more vengeful elves will form the squirrels. Filevandrel is rightfully pissed their kid is dead but he also knows firsthand how lovely things are living like bandits. The season's theme was already about moving past hatred and starting anew. The Elves going all Old Testament smite the firstborn on the people of Redania will likely set off another pogrom and push the more desperate nonhumans into the squirrel units.

Istredd informing Francesca that Ciri is of the Elder Blood is likely there to motivate the elven delegation to attend the Thanedd conference to try and snatch Ciri and maneuver themselves into a position to gain a homeland.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 20, 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i dont mind when adaptations change poo poo if they maintain the tone, themes, and are respectful of the source material

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i dont mind when adaptations change poo poo if they maintain the tone, themes, and are respectful of the source material

I’m in the same boat. I think “respectful of the source material” is gonna be subjective. But the show was always gonna be different and so far I love both seasons. I feel like they’re getting the tone just right. Also, house with chicken legs was a very nice touch.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i laughed outloud multiple times, and one specific moment got me and my entire watch party ogo "OH GOD" all at once it owns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Finished season 2 of the show, its good and better than season 1, that is my review.

Is it just my imagination or is the show leaning really, really heavily on the game for visual design, not just costumes but even sets

Also are people watching witcher season 2 also watching wheel of time and if so do you have opinions

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I've enjoyed Witcher S2 so much that I'm already rewatching it on the side. Joey Batey continues to be my favorite.

On the other hand, I checked out of Wheel of Time after episode 3. I like a lot of the cast (esp. Tam and Thom), but overall it isn't giving me anything significant that The Witcher isn't. I'll probably revisit it later, maybe when all the first season's episodes are available.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

As someone posted in the other thread, every time Dijkstra is off screen I'm asking 'where's Dijkstra?'

Which is the correct approach given his job title professor of very recent history

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Oh yes, I love that Graham McTavish is in that role. Excellent casting

Also, I did a double take at the voice of the dockworker who "chats" with Jaskier. Turns out he's the VA for a few characters in The Witcher III, such as Cleaver

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Foltest's voice actor is the Nilfgaardian general.

Plus Myanna Buring plays both Tissaia and voices Annarietta in Witcher 3.

What if they got Doug Cockle to play Leo Bonhart?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

What if they got Doug Cockle to play Leo Bonhart?

Please no, that would really gently caress me up. Though thinking of it, who would play a good Bonhart?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

danny trejo

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cowcaster posted:

danny trejo

Hmmm. Danny seems far more personable and amiable than Old Leo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

Please no, that would really gently caress me up. Though thinking of it, who would play a good Bonhart?

What what are you doing?

Killing witchers.