Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So I'm getting a bit over Black Knights Greatsword now and I won't be able to go with Black Knights Ultra Greatsword for a while because I'm trying to stay below 70% weight and that fucker is heavy.

I'm looking at investing in either: Hollowslayers Great Sword for preparation in NG+, same with Wolf Knight Great Sword, I've read the Carthus Curved Sword at +10 Refined is great as a general purpose weapon too. Other consideration: Astoria Ultra Great Sword at +10 Refined.

Any thoughts I could take more experienced goons?

Edit: Ultra death option Corvian Scythe :metal101: but I was thinking of saving that for my Pyromancer build to look flashy as gently caress. (That and Fridie's scytches)

Edit 2: Oh I guess I can use the Black Knight Ultra Great Sword if I down Grade from Morns Helmet/Morns Chest/Exlie Gloves/Exile Pants to Morns Helmet/Morns Chest/Wolf Knight Gloves/Dark Knight Pants.

Is that a really significant downgrade though and is the sword REALLY worth it compared to the others?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Gridlocked posted:

So I'm getting a bit over Black Knights Greatsword now and I won't be able to go with Black Knights Ultra Greatsword for a while because I'm trying to stay below 70% weight and that fucker is heavy.

I'm looking at investing in either: Hollowslayers Great Sword for preparation in NG+, same with Wolf Knight Great Sword, I've read the Carthus Curved Sword at +10 Refined is great as a general purpose weapon too. Other consideration: Astoria Ultra Great Sword at +10 Refined.

Edit: Ultra death option Corvian Scythe :metal101: but I was thinking of saving that for my Pyromancer build to look flashy as gently caress. (That and Fridie's scytches)

The Wolf Knight GS isn't that great. Hollowslayer, Astora and Corvian Scythe are, though slightly better on a Sharp/Dex build than Quality/Refined, which you seem to be shooting for?

For a complete change, the Pontiff Knight Curved Sword is a superb Quality weapon, if you can spare a level in Int. Very fast, no HA though (except on the WA, iIrc?)

Other good options are any of the Ringed Knight weapons, if you have DLC2. Lorian's UGS can also be fun, though it's not top-tier, and only saves you 2 weight.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

kilinrax posted:

The Wolf Knight GS isn't that great. Hollowslayer, Astora and Corvian Scythe are, though slightly better on a Sharp/Dex build than Quality/Refined, which you seem to be shooting for?

For a complete change, the Pontiff Knight Curved Sword is a superb Quality weapon, if you can spare a level in Int. Very fast, no HA though (except on the WA, iIrc?)

Other good options are any of the Ringed Knight weapons, if you have DLC2. Lorian's UGS can also be fun, though it's not top-tier, and only saves you 2 weight.

I'm on a 40/40 Quality build for reference

Edit: Oh also I'm basically only focused on PvE because I like boss rushing

Did some more reading someone is claiming the Profaned Great Sword is one of the best Quality Build UGS's but one of the things turning me off my unique Black Knight Sword is the fact that I can't apply Elements to it for bosses and Profaned has the same issue. Is this something I should be worried about?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 23, 2018

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I hold the (possibly unpopular) opinion that Ashes of Ariandel is much cooler than Ringed City.

For one thing, pretty much all the environments in it are spectacular - the snowfield with that lone abandoned tower, the church on the cliff (hiding a rot-filled cave beneath), the nightmarish corvian village and its lingering inhabitants, the tree leading down to the frozen glaciers and the oddly serene warrior's grave... all of it is dreamlike and great. As much as I hate the wolves, the way it simulates fighting a hunting pack is brilliant. And on top of that it has a somewhat coherent, tight story that really evolves as you go through it, leading to a spectacular finish against one of the hardest yet coolest boss fights in the game.

Ringed City is bigger, has the better final boss encounter and the mandatory giant dragon fight, but the overall package doesn't feel as tight and overall is all a lot less memorable to me.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Soul Reaver posted:

I hold the (possibly unpopular) opinion that Ashes of Ariandel is much cooler than Ringed City.

For one thing, pretty much all the environments in it are spectacular - the snowfield with that lone abandoned tower, the church on the cliff (hiding a rot-filled cave beneath), the nightmarish corvian village and its lingering inhabitants, the tree leading down to the frozen glaciers and the oddly serene warrior's grave... all of it is dreamlike and great. As much as I hate the wolves, the way it simulates fighting a hunting pack is brilliant. And on top of that it has a somewhat coherent, tight story that really evolves as you go through it, leading to a spectacular finish against one of the hardest yet coolest boss fights in the game.

Ringed City is bigger, has the better final boss encounter and the mandatory giant dragon fight, but the overall package doesn't feel as tight and overall is all a lot less memorable to me.

I honestly thought the start of Ringed City was a continuation of the Ashes considering I killed the boss and ended up in a pit of ash.

Edit: Also I think the discord link is dead

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 23, 2018

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Gridlocked posted:

I'm on a 40/40 Quality build for reference

Edit: Oh also I'm basically only focused on PvE because I like boss rushing

Did some more reading someone is claiming the Profaned Great Sword is one of the best Quality Build UGS's but one of the things turning me off my unique Black Knight Sword is the fact that I can't apply Elements to it for bosses and Profaned has the same issue. Is this something I should be worried about?

Profaned is also fun, though I think BKUGS and Lorian's are both better, personally. I had a Quality character that took all of those, Gael's GS and a bunch of other Quality weapons to +4/+9 before deciding which to use a slab on. Any of those weapons can beat all the base game bosses even at +4/+8. Nameless King might give you some poo poo though.

There's a few bosses which are notably weaker to a certain element, or bleed. If you hit a big enough wall that you want to use resins/bundles to give you an edge, you may as well retool entirely for the fight (shields, rings, bug pellets et c.) - for instance, even on a Quality build, Warden Twinblades with Carthus Rouge will apply bleed much quicker than any GS/UGS.

Also, Hollowslayer and Black Knight weapons do bonus damage against some enemies, so using them is better than using buffs, against the right bosses.

Basically: yeah, it's a factor, but it shouldn't dictate your choice of primary weapon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It disappoints me how many levels in the game thought it necessary to have a swamp.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ringed City should have dropped the Dreg Heap and really doubled down the Ringed City itself. That was such a fantastic setting for the final area in the franchise but the exploration was disappointingly limited even including the ... *sigh* swamp, if it had even been the size of DS2's frozen city it'd have felt alot more impressive.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

kilinrax posted:

Profaned is also fun, though I think BKUGS and Lorian's are both better, personally. I had a Quality character that took all of those, Gael's GS and a bunch of other Quality weapons to +4/+9 before deciding which to use a slab on. Any of those weapons can beat all the base game bosses even at +4/+8. Nameless King might give you some poo poo though.

There's a few bosses which are notably weaker to a certain element, or bleed. If you hit a big enough wall that you want to use resins/bundles to give you an edge, you may as well retool entirely for the fight (shields, rings, bug pellets et c.) - for instance, even on a Quality build, Warden Twinblades with Carthus Rouge will apply bleed much quicker than any GS/UGS.

Also, Hollowslayer and Black Knight weapons do bonus damage against some enemies, so using them is better than using buffs, against the right bosses.

Basically: yeah, it's a factor, but it shouldn't dictate your choice of primary weapon.

Thanks I'll try out putting a few of them up and seeing how I like them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the priestess talisman fine for miracles to 40 faith or so

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Which starting class ends up with more saved stat points in the long run for a sorcery/pyromancy build?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from what i understand knight is the strongest class for minmaxers because luck is lowest?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

miyazaki's vision is that the players only get fragments of the story, so no

He and Kojima with his overexplanations should co-create the next soulsborne game.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I call it....Nanosouls!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Moonlight...GEAR?!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also the ringed city swamp should have applied corrosion and ds1 curse rather than nothing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

Also the ringed city swamp should have applied corrosion and ds1 curse rather than nothing

no for a really good Lore Reference it should have applied the framerate slowdown debuff from the original ds1 swamp area

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always thought it was odd how the tutorial level for Demon's Souls has this unique aesthetic and environmental assets that aren't seen anywhere else in the game. It would have helped break up the whole brown-and-grey vibe the rest of the game had.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Gridlocked posted:

Thanks muchly guys :)

I was thinking of getting a Raw claw weapon of some kind for style points but I may save that for my Dex run

My Pyro is using a Deep Longsword for backup against fire-resistant enemies and long stretches between bonfires, but it's pretty unnecessary, Chaos Bed Vestiges is melting everything bosses included. I'm going to upgrade to a Deep Astora Greatsword eventually once I can spare the SLs.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Digirat posted:

ugh, I never knew this. I was hoping I could at least do some extra work with pyromancies on this character without spreading it even more thin and having to level int too.

Everything about this game's treatment of faith feels like revenge for dark souls 2.

I think you need to rock down to Electric Avenue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA7cWs9nodE

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

My Pyro is using a Deep Longsword for backup against fire-resistant enemies and long stretches between bonfires, but it's pretty unnecessary, Chaos Bed Vestiges is melting everything bosses included. I'm going to upgrade to a Deep Astora Greatsword eventually once I can spare the SLs.

I'm on a Raw Astoria Straight Sword at the moment. Not sure when the right time to switch to Deep and Fire enchanted weapons. I'm guessing I don't swap to Fire ever and just rock Carthus Flame Arc.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Gridlocked posted:

I'm looking at investing in either: Hollowslayers Great Sword for preparation in NG+, same with Wolf Knight Great Sword, I've read the Carthus Curved Sword at +10 Refined is great as a general purpose weapon too. Other consideration: Astoria Ultrasound Great Sword at +10 Refined.

Edit 2: Oh I guess I can use the Black Knight Ultra Great Sword if I down Grade from Morns Helmet/Morns Chest/Exlie Gloves/Exile Pants to Morns Helmet/Morns Chest/Wolf Knight Gloves/Dark Knight Pants.

Is that a really significant downgrade though and is the sword REALLY worth it compared to the others?

I'd upgrade the astora ultra great just because it lets you buff and is lightweight. I found it an easy entry into learning how to use ultra greats. Lothric knight ultra great sword is another good buffable big weapon (plus they have almost the same moveset apart from some rolling attacks and the WA).

Before taking the carthus curved to +10 try out the followers sabre from ashes of ariandel. It's a curved sword you can buff and infuse too, might be a touch shorter, I just think the WA is sexier.

Play with the wolf knight swords if you want, they're both fun to use in PvE and really solid on my quality sl140 character (They are actually good in pvp too it just takes a bit to figure out when to pull out a weapon art). If you stack the pontiff rings with the curved sword you will see benefits in PVE.

Black knight weapons are super cool tho and it's also super cool that they do so much damage you don't need to buff. Defintely level into them for more fun. Also dlc2 has the +3 havels and +3 fap ring so I'd hold off on vitality until after you've picked them up just in case they save you the effort.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thanks man! I found the FAP3 ring and that was a pleasant surprise to be sure. Now I'm rocking some solid armour and able to use all but my Exiles sword. Really liking Loren's Sword.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
My personal mountain is trying to counter crossbow spam cheese in PVP. I can reaction roll exploding bolts fine, but if I ever run into an opponent who actually understands how roll catching works I'm toast.

Caestus perseverance is only ok for the first few bolts as I still lose hp. However I can use the buff to move around into either a BS (because it's habit to immediately reload a crossbow) or a better position to catch their roll. On my faith build I had a slightly better time using the saints bident because it has a deceptive reach and I shamelessly stack regen on that character. I was thinking the black knight shield because of the high fire resistance. However it still takes chip and stability (stamina) damage, and I'm losing stamina by having to roll anyway, so I might as well just roll so I only lose stamina and not hp.

Running into that build made me give every character I have a back-up meta set up (saints bident is my "meta" back up for the crow quills for e.g.). Apart from running every character into another NG+ cycle just to complete greirats quest to have exploding crossbow cheese of my own, is there any reliable counter to this? (Getting BS priority on exploding bolts and rope firebombs is pretty dope but not consistent)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There is no real counter to a good player with a crossbow, crossbows are just extremely loving good in pvp in this game because the shoot animation is so fast and you reload at will instead of right afterwards like in previous games. They have great range(obviously) and are fast enough to be nigh unpunishable if the crossbow user is being careful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Amppelix posted:

You can just crystal out of those of you really want to send the message.

I mean yeah now I just leave as soon as it's clear they're just wasting my time, but it's still dumb

my favorite is the people who go grab the summon signs of level 15 people outside vordt's door and then try to drag them to the dancer, where basically any attack will just instakill them

buddy, the sign was where it was for a reason, have fun with that though https://i.imgur.com/dzLFtZD.gifv

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Gridlocked posted:

Edit: Also I think the discord link is dead

I haven't been in the Discord that much lately but here's a permalink! https://discord.gg/rcP4rnW

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

There is no real counter to a good player with a crossbow, crossbows are just extremely loving good in pvp in this game because the shoot animation is so fast and you reload at will instead of right afterwards like in previous games. They have great range(obviously) and are fast enough to be nigh unpunishable if the crossbow user is being careful.

Splintering Bolts are great at knocking off that 1 Tears HP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

that's ok netcode I didn't want to help anyway

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That has a 12%-25% chance for me at Dragonslayer and Demon Prince. I wish I had a chalkboard to find the actual rate of staring at a fog wall as the host dies to a boss with a huge HP buff.

E: One of those huge not-vikings with an axe followed me through the entire maggot church and up the stairs to the chapel bonfire. It wouldn't be noteworthy since Ariandel is so small you can get chased across the map, but he almost instantly regenerates all damage. Somewhere between the cave entrance and crossing the wooden planks his scripting must've bugged out. I noticed it when I used poison mist when he was briefly stuck in a doorway and the damage tick just flickered the first pixel. Whacked him a few times and ran, turned back around and full HP.
E2: Maybe that's just their quirk, they regen 8HP/sec

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 24, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hey how do I access Ashes of Ariandel? I'm level 90 and going through Irithyll dungeon, just got to some scary chillin' giant, and want some better weapons. Also weird lack of bonfires in ID

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Go to the main bonfire in cathedral of the deep.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

go back to the cathedral.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've decided to rename my graduate thesis Why I Hate Giant Wolves: An Analysis of the Epiphenomal Effects of Being Thrown Off Cliffs

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Frog Act posted:

I've decided to rename my graduate thesis Why I Hate Giant Wolves: An Analysis of the Epiphenomal Effects of Being Thrown Off Cliffs
Just don't bother, that area is awful after the first "huh, that's kinda neat but unfun in practice" impression. I honestly prefer Frozen Outskirts because it's more unapologetically player-hating.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Lance McDonald released a Dark Souls III alpha video.
Unfortunately, most of the content seems missing and the video is largely just wandering around Untended/Cemetary. Looks like the Bell Tower was a lot more important though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-Ax9nW0Vg

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Just don't bother, that area is awful after the first "huh, that's kinda neat but unfun in practice" impression. I honestly prefer Frozen Outskirts because it's more unapologetically player-hating.

You have to unlearn some Dark Souls enemy AI mechanics, but I think the wolf zone is actually pretty fun and not too laborious if you get used to it. Their pack AI makes them behave very passively most of the time, and they approach you in clearly defined waves. Then you just need to play a game of bait and punish with them. The problem might be that for 99% of enemies in DS3, being aggressive is infinitely better than being passive.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Amppelix posted:

You have to unlearn some Dark Souls enemy AI mechanics, but I think the wolf zone is actually pretty fun and not too laborious if you get used to it. Their pack AI makes them behave very passively most of the time, and they approach you in clearly defined waves. Then you just need to play a game of bait and punish with them. The problem might be that for 99% of enemies in DS3, being aggressive is infinitely better than being passive.
I can do it no problem, but I don't want to. It's always going to have to be slow and careful or you're getting swarmed and die or you just run through it. If you take out the smaller packs one by one, making sure not to aggro too many at once, until the area is clear, then you die to the big wolf or the Milwood Knight (who is a HUGE jump in individual enemy difficulty compared to anything before but the big wolf) and your last 5 solid minutes or so were completely wasted. gently caress this, I am always running past after the first time showed me that there is absolutely nothing to be gained by going slow and steady. It admittedly doesn't help that I am completely awful at fighting Milwood Knights, but it also doesn't help that your first opportunity to practice against one is after the snowfield in a remote corner of the level with no shortcuts to it or a Bonfire. You can't even go a back way or anything because of the drop at the end. It's just not fun.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Simply Simon posted:

I can do it no problem, but I don't want to. It's always going to have to be slow and careful or you're getting swarmed and die or you just run through it. If you take out the smaller packs one by one, making sure not to aggro too many at once, until the area is clear, then you die to the big wolf or the Milwood Knight (who is a HUGE jump in individual enemy difficulty compared to anything before but the big wolf) and your last 5 solid minutes or so were completely wasted. gently caress this, I am always running past after the first time showed me that there is absolutely nothing to be gained by going slow and steady. It admittedly doesn't help that I am completely awful at fighting Milwood Knights, but it also doesn't help that your first opportunity to practice against one is after the snowfield in a remote corner of the level with no shortcuts to it or a Bonfire. You can't even go a back way or anything because of the drop at the end. It's just not fun.
I had the exact same experience with the wolves/milwood and absolutely HATED that entire DLC. Just go on suicide runs to grab the items in the area and forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Simply Simon posted:

and your last 5 solid minutes or so were completely wasted.
oh nooo