Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hooplah posted:

are those levels worth an equivalent amount of xp? just wondering if i'll be putting myself behind on glory taking those given they don't have multiple stages

It's a trade-off of XP and risk for gear. They offer six items, so there is a very good chance of getting a key piece for your build with very little effort plus a number of upgrades to your existing kit. But, you have to be confident that you can already defeat out of depth enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KNR
May 3, 2009
My recommendations would be DCSS or DoomRL/Jupiter Hell depending on the desired game length, but it's really the sort of question that would benefit from a flowchart of specific preferences, especially if you've played other non-roguelike turn-based rpg/tactics games.

Besides run length, big cleaving points imo are whether you want an open world of emergent interactions or a goal-oriented challenge, whether you want to focus on turn-by-turn tactics of how to use a limited set of tools or on assembling complex character builds, whether you consider Diablo style loot to be exciting gambling or tedious sifting through trash.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's a trade-off of XP and risk for gear. They offer six items, so there is a very good chance of getting a key piece for your build with very little effort plus a number of upgrades to your existing kit. But, you have to be confident that you can already defeat out of depth enemies.

Especially important there is that loot never repeats afaik, so if that pair of gloves or hat or whatever you need to really make your build sing is in one of those dangerous branches, you have a pretty tough call to make.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The flip side is that if the forbidden place is filled with enemies you’re strong against (ice wasps with -100% fire res, for example) you can often just nuke it easily for free loot and xp

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Do forbidden places have more xp than the regular levels because the monsters are ood? I was worried I was being inefficient doing that when I didn’t need any of the items in that level

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Inadequately posted:

TOME4 (Tales of Maj'eyal)

Cons:
- lots of trash loot with very minor bonuses, most of which will be negligible to useless, may or may not be an upside depending on how much you like playing the item optimization game

This is mostly true, but there is the upside of the game having one of the best loot management loops in existence. Once you get the Transmog Chest (at the end of the first dungeon, then unlocked immediately forever), all loot you come across will automatically be placed into it until you switch floors.

This means you’re never forced to interrupt combat as you sift through and parse whether items on the ground are worth picking up. When it does come time to make loot decisions, everything is on a single list that you can easily organize based on different criteria, and all the remaining junk is automatically vendored through the act of leaving the level. It’s a system I pray every ARPG adopts someday.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Hooplah posted:

Do forbidden places have more xp than the regular levels because the monsters are ood? I was worried I was being inefficient doing that when I didn’t need any of the items in that level

I believe they have fewer XP. Sometimes there’s only one monster!

But the extra loot is great sometimes. Maybe it’s perfect for your build. They really shine for Goblin/Skeleton who want lots of loot, or for Eris builds if you can get lots of weapons to sacrifice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think I might have asked about this before but is anyone playing Quasimorph? Curious how it's evolved since release. I found the demo a little intimidating and the reviews seemed to say that the game was punishing for the sake of it and more tedious than anything for gearing up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Qud seems fascinating to me, not enough to drop $20 bones on it at the moment, but I'm eyeing it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Finally broke through cycle 24. Been struggling lately with monofire so I decided to go for something I hadn't had any wins with yet, Myrmidon. I used the base shield throughout up until I got the cosmic flail, which really shone given the use of a staff here. This was a hold-space-to-win build, but it was pretty fun overall.

e- and surtmir, didn't have a surtmir win yet

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 17, 2024

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Just got my fourth cycle win in Path of Achra. I haven't used the auto play feature yet while I'm learning the ins and outs of the game, but I'll still have moments when a turn takes over an uninterrupted minute to resolve because a bunch of things keep triggering off each other and the screen becomes a flashing strobe light of effects. It's immensely satisfying.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hey i won

this felt strong. i have learned that speed is good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think I might have asked about this before but is anyone playing Quasimorph? Curious how it's evolved since release. I found the demo a little intimidating and the reviews seemed to say that the game was punishing for the sake of it and more tedious than anything for gearing up.

I have like 25ish hours in it in the last couple months and it's okay. It's a little weird to get used to because each individual character you're deploying is fundamentally disposable/interchangeable and what you're mostly after is things that will give you permanent access to new/better stuff, like item blueprints and class chips. The closest descriptor I have for it is that it's sort of like a singleplayer extraction shooter in a turn based roguelike format. You have to weigh the difficulty of the mission, what enemies you'll be fighting, and how much you're willing to invest in the way of supplies and equipment in case the mission goes bad and you die and lose everything they had on hand.

It can be a little frustrating at times, because even with good gear sometimes you can run into something mean and get hit hard, lose an action point to the pain, then get hit hard again and die. You really need to train yourself to accept losses or the game will be intensely unpleasant to play. It's definitely balanced assuming you're just going to die sometimes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Awesome! posted:

hey i won

this felt strong. i have learned that speed is good.

:toot:

moot the hopple posted:

Just got my fourth cycle win in Path of Achra. I haven't used the auto play feature yet while I'm learning the ins and outs of the game, but I'll still have moments when a turn takes over an uninterrupted minute to resolve because a bunch of things keep triggering off each other and the screen becomes a flashing strobe light of effects. It's immensely satisfying.

Ally-heavy builds can take forevvvvvver

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i wish achra had like a pie chart when you open the log that broke down what % of your damage is coming from skills and items. starting out it is hard to evaluate how much value certain things are actually bringing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Awesome! posted:

i wish achra had like a pie chart when you open the log that broke down what % of your damage is coming from skills and items. starting out it is hard to evaluate how much value certain things are actually bringing.

that would be a really cool feature

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Awesome! posted:

It’s not as good as a pie chart, but you can open the log, search by skill names, and scroll through to see how much they’re doing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lack of damage statistics in games that are extremely math heavy mechanically really annoys the poo poo out of me

these are computer games! computers are good at this thing!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is Deepest Chamber: Resurrection (what a name lmao) in a good place at the moment? It's absurdly cheap in my region ($3)

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Quasimorph I quite like and they have improved from release, most notably how infighting works with quasimorphs and corpos. You can go munch on some people jerky and shoot up the quasimorphosis meter to the point that half the corpos explode into demons and after the fighting dies down and you're near max quasimorphosis, you can do some drugs and banish the quasimorphs, letting you loot in peace. There's also story missions.
Faction wise though, the game still usually devolves into a Realware/Tecz coldwar and thus the market utterly crashes to the point the only thing that has value is military hardware and quasimorph data.

Tecz is still the absolute worst faction to fight in the game since they aren't affected by infighting on Venus, they don't use conventional ammo, and have some very irritating near-instakill enemies in the form of aspiring mistresses and serpent mouth wielders. Oh and Tecz destroys market demand if they take over a station.

Amuys fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 19, 2024

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Meowywitch posted:

Qud seems fascinating to me, not enough to drop $20 bones on it at the moment, but I'm eyeing it.

unormal is a saint and a sinner for sharing his water with us for so cheap. I've never played anything that has just been so critically and thoroughly thought through, and 1.0 will be a day remembered in RL history.

Obviously we all have our price points and reasons, but I look forward to the day you pull the trigger and join us all in the weird world of qud.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Qud has been by far the most worthwhile 20 dollar purchase I’ve made

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Wafflecopper posted:

It’s not as good as a pie chart, but you can open the log, search by skill names, and scroll through to see how much they’re doing

This becomes increasingly difficult to parse as time goes on and you get more equipment and more triggers start firing off. When I look at the Achra log in the void my eyes glaze over immediately because it's very easy to have one round take up three pages.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Tangledeep was a solid rec too, especially if you like that graphics style. I'm still waiting for a sequel to One Way Heroics+ myself in that vein, a sequel that is never going to come.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Azran posted:

Is Deepest Chamber: Resurrection (what a name lmao) in a good place at the moment? It's absurdly cheap in my region ($3)

I seem to remember some good buzz about it a while back but I haven't heard anything for a while

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

get a windows 3.1 emulator and play Castle of the Winds for the most authentic beginner roguelike experience

I see I'm not the only person who got on this bandwagon that way.

It's a shame because I revisited the game not that long ago and it doesn't really hold up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Emulate Toejam & Earl on the Genesis! That's a good one.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

it's fine

I wouldn't call it top tier, but pretty fun and actually has some pretty clever mechanics for the party and card manipulation

I'd probably put it around the level of Beneath Oresa, and at that price easily worth checking out

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

an iksar marauder posted:

Qud has been by far the most worthwhile 20 dollar purchase I’ve made

I have bought ten copies for people entirely because it's the only roguelike I've found that people who don't play roguelikes enjoy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Emulate Toejam & Earl on the Genesis! That's a good one.

They basically remade the Genesis game for PC recently; it's currently 90% off so grab it if you like the idea of a (mostly) nonviolent roguelike.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Meowywitch posted:

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd say the first Torneko game is very approachable, if you're cool with messing around with emulation or flash carts. It was intentionally designed for Japanese Dragon Quest fans who'd never heard of the genre before. The intro in that xlation patch was broken for me (I used RetroArch-Snes9x for achievement functionality), but the rest of the text throughout was perfectly fine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They basically remade the Genesis game for PC recently; it's currently 90% off so grab it if you like the idea of a (mostly) nonviolent roguelike.

I was in the kickstarter! Never really dug into it though, I should, thanks for the reminder.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

HopperUK posted:

I was in the kickstarter! Never really dug into it though, I should, thanks for the reminder.

Same! It didn't really grab me when it first released but I should give it another shot.

It's like TJE1 not 2 right?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Same! It didn't really grab me when it first released but I should give it another shot.

It's like TJE1 not 2 right?

Yeah! God the music is burned into my brain from the Genesis version. And the little sound effects, those fuckin cupids. "la la la!"

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Child is in nursery tomorrow and I have some time off.

So I’m going to finally get into roguelikes (rift wizard 1 is my choice for “distilling the genre” and other reasons)

I will report back on my many failed runs and hopefully be encouraged to continue in the face of being utterly terrible at the game.

Any non spoilery beginner tips to get me off to a slightly more informed start?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
RF1 super newbie tips:
-Even if your favorite spell kills five guys, you still need to spend a turn standing still to cast it, and when trying to walk across to level to reach the spawners you'll have to stand still every few turns. Eventually this becomes unsustainable.
-You need to eventually get a schtick of some sort online, probably some self-triggering combo of smaller skills, to clear out the chaff. Bigger monsters will spawn in their own chaff.
-As a corollary, the game turns into an attrition one of trying to save your hp and mana pots. Check out the passive skill tree meanwhile, they do more than it seems at first blush.
-If you are struggling with too-many spawns super early in the game just buy an eye spell to nuke stuff as you walk around, or maybe even something bigger like nightmare aura, which buys you a lot of space as it solos entire levels early on.

Once you've gotten your head around that and can reach rift 10+ consistently:
-Fee free to grab throwaway spells that have absolutely no use with your combo. Spending a few spell points in rift 2-3 might slow down the combo wombo, but might also give you a bit of a head start on the attrition and less susceptibility to getting countered.
-Yes, immunities exist, by design. If your combo can't handle it, buy skills to work around it. It's ok even if it's totally off-theme, we promise.
-When poking your head into portals and shopping around for a level that doesn't totally screw you over, consider not just the monsters but also what type of terrain your spells prefer, or even if you want to take a rift with 'bad' rewards instead of getting greedy and walking into a death trap.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself a lot there, I'm home too and sick & dazed, lol.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
RUNGORE hit v1.0, remains willfully unhinged.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2113040/view/4179981300101349619

quote:

New stuff:

1. Final level added - Meat Pit
And yes, you can actually reach it

This update sets a record on the amount of content it adds. It alone adds adds this many artifacts :pic of maybe 50 artifacts:

2. New Game+
All levels in a row without resets, with ever increasing stats of all the mobs. A true challenge for true chad

3. New hero - Stance Guy
Prides himself for his martial arts prowess. Secretly wishes he could be as cool as Megachad Guy and just smack things to death.

4. Controller support
The most anticipated feature. You are welcome

5. Big QOL change
We finally figured out how to handle thousands of cards in player's hand. Now you have an option to stacks them it their neat little piles, so that your hand will remain organized no matter what

6. Midgame rebalance
Our trusted sources relayed to us that our midgame was sad and cringe. We fixed that.
New cool music
Enemies nerfed
Events don't make you miserable anymore
Shader is tuned up
Cursed cards were changed

7. Chinese localization
We take our localization endeavors extremely seriously. We took all the feedback we got after the EA release and fixed it as much as we could

8. Achievements
Gotta catch em all.
All 28 of them.
Good luck ^-^

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Once you've gotten your head around that and can reach rift 10+ consistently:
-Fee free to grab throwaway spells that have absolutely no use with your combo. Spending a few spell points in rift 2-3 might slow down the combo wombo, but might also give you a bit of a head start on the attrition and less susceptibility to getting countered.

My experience with RW1 was exactly the opposite: I struggled to get past rift 10 consistently until I started grabbing a handful of throwaway spells in the first few rifts. In the first 10 levels you don't really need to worry about having a big self-sustaining build with a lot of synergy because enemies just aren't that strong, your main concerns are burning through too many charges/potions and running into enemies that are immune to your spell loadout. The cheapest way to deal with both of these problems is to buy some extra spells (preferably at a magic circle so you get a discount.) Most skill synergy packages are much slower to get up and running and trying to beeline a wombo combo usually makes the early game much harder than it needs to be as you try to ration out your very limited spell charges.

In the long run the game gives you much more SP than you will ever actually need, so there's no need to obsess about trying to optimize early SP. You get plenty of gently caress-around SP, you might as well spend a handful of points early on to give you a stress-free start.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
?!

Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry, just saying that I found that particular point really useful in the super newbie phase, not just after getting to the "reaching rift 10+ consistently" stage.