Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Speaking of data logging, Apple just released an update to iOS the other day that fixes a bug where deleted pictures stored on iCloud would undelete themselves:

People are claiming that they've seen pictures from as far back as 2010 becoming undeleted. A lot of these claims are that they are nsfw pictures and presumably that's how they recognized them immediately in a library of thousands upon thousands of pictures.

I don't care if people are rediscovering their old deleted dick pics but if it's true that pictures from 10+ years ago that were deleted weren't actually deleted that's kind of a big deal.

They found the issue is that the pictures were stored in the Files app too and the upgrade process was adding them back to Photos from Files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I think I just heard the Data Protection Officer explode into a cloud of plasma, lmao.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shrecknet posted:

It literally is a "don't create the Torment Nexus" moment. I firmly believe if we got dinosaur cloning working, the techbros would be sure that Jurassic Park would work, and it would collapse almost instantly for almost the same reasons as it does in the book - shortsighted techbros skimping on the work to give themselves bigger bonuses.

Techbros making Jurassic Park would basically be Fyre Festival but with the addition of giant carnivores running around eating everyone.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Everytime you boot up a fresh Windows box, you get at least 10 different prompts between bootup and downloading Firefox for Microsoft to hoover up all your data.

Many of which will reset on a service pack update.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BlueBlazer posted:

Everytime you boot up a fresh Windows box, you get at least 10 different prompts between bootup and downloading Firefox for Microsoft to hoover up all your data.

Many of which will reset on a service pack update.

Windows 11 does it too. I still get the "hey let's finish setting up your online Windows account" prompts after every update and I' can only assume that Microsoft is eventually going to remove the "remind me later" option and force you to do so.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm genuinely surprised no one uses e-paper price tickets for just that purpose.

You can't really have surge pricing in any situation where the customer isn't paying/ordering in advance.
If the price increases on an item between the customer grabbing it and paying for it, not only is the customer going to be angry, there might be laws violated by the store for doing that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shrecknet posted:

It literally is a "don't create the Torment Nexus" moment. I firmly believe if we got dinosaur cloning working, the techbros would be sure that Jurassic Park would work, and it would collapse almost instantly for almost the same reasons as it does in the book - shortsighted techbros skimping on the work to give themselves bigger bonuses.

It would literally follow everything that happened in the film that went wrong, with the *possible* exception of willful sabotage for the purposes of industrial espionage.

- they'd try to open months early
- they'd try to open before the operations software is ready
- they'd try to open before the security software is ready
- you'd have multiple deaths of low paid migrant workers
- everything would gently caress up as soon as a tropical storm came through
- no automated system for backup, manual only
- general poor health for the animals ina low oxygen environment with unfamiliar pathogens - assuming the plant eaters could process modern plants, they'd defoliate their pen faster than Agent Orange
- absolutely insane risk of industrial theft, due to being a functionally uninhabited island with no coastal surveillance, and nearly priceless animal specimens.
- not enough guns
- not enough big guns

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I think I just heard the Data Protection Officer explode into a cloud of plasma, lmao.

Same. I guess their angle is that since it's stored locally, they'll claim it shouldn't count as Microsoft processing your data. It'd just be "you" storing your own data for yourself on your own machine or something?

But yeah, it sure does seem like they're planning about doing something fucky with that data or related metadata. Otherwise it seems like a frankly absurd amount of overhead and liability for what appears to be essentially just a slightly improved search.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

It would literally follow everything that happened in the film that went wrong, with the *possible* exception of willful sabotage for the purposes of industrial espionage.

- general poor health for the animals ina low oxygen environment with unfamiliar pathogens - assuming the plant eaters could process modern plants, they'd defoliate their pen faster than Agent Orange
- absolutely insane risk of industrial theft, due to being a functionally uninhabited island with no coastal surveillance, and nearly priceless animal specimens.
- not enough guns
- not enough big guns

Why open a theme park, when you can just sell to private collectors? Think about drug lords who have their own tiger, imagine telling them they could buy their own t-rex to eat their enemies alive.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm genuinely surprised no one uses e-paper price tickets for just that purpose.

IIRC some French supermarket chains have digital pricing displays so they can change product prices centrally from the back office rather than changing each on the shelf.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mister Facetious posted:

- not enough guns
- not enough big guns

Actually one of the reasons dinosaurs could get so big is they had way better lungs than modern mammals, if human has lungs that good we could basically maintain a jog until we died of dehydration (we are missing several other cool bird/dinosaur like features necessary to maintain high energy metabolism until we starve to death). The biggest ones might have problems but most smaller ones could likely breath just fine.

E: of course humans can run into a tree at full speed and, so long as they don't hit head first, typically stand up afterwards. Because we don't have hollow bones.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 21, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Why open a theme park, when you can just sell to private collectors? Think about drug lords who have their own tiger, imagine telling them they could buy their own t-rex to eat their enemies alive.

When you're the only supplier, it's easy for governments to come down on you for various reasons.

Honestly, after the first delivery, I'd start counting the days when the US government unilaterally seizes the island, foreign jurisdiction be damned.
Your bribes to Costa Rica/etc. better be up to date, and even then I'd place money on them selling you out.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 21, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Microsoft recall feature requires a special CPU that isn't even available at the consumer level yet, so it will be a while before it is an issue.

According to an interview, you can opt out and exempt certain programs from the recall feature. All the info is also stored locally and never uploaded to any cloud.

If someone else has physical access to your PC, you allow someone else to remote in, or you share a Windows login/profile with multiple people, then it could be a privacy nightmare because all of those people could view your recall history.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

There is absolutely zero reason to trust microsoft.

If it's not opt-in, it's a breach waiting to happen.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

When you're the only supplier, it's easy for governments to come down on you for various reasons.

Honestly, after the first delivery, I'd start counting the days when the US government unilaterally seizes the island, foreign jurisdiction be damned.
Your bribes to Costa Rica/etc. better be up to date, and even then I'd place money on them selling you out.

That's why I assume you've budgeted in several million dollars annually for bribes lobbying to keep that from happening.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Volmarias posted:

That's why I assume you've budgeted in several million dollars annually for bribes lobbying to keep that from happening.

I was thinking a defense contract for airdropping raptors into hostile areas.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Barrel Cactaur posted:

I was thinking a defense contract for airdropping raptors into hostile areas.

I just want to sell vicious hell beasts from a long forgotten era to the worst people on earth, I didn't want to be ginsu knived by lockmart or raytheon or whoever else.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought there was another thread to moan about AI sentiments. But if we're sharing anecdotes about AI in work, we had a survey some time ago about using AI in our work, what we would use it for, etc. I don't remember it was fill in the blank, just pick choices. When the CEO went over the results with us at a town hall he was legit surprised that nobody except for 1 respondent ticked the box for "I would like to use AI to write POs/SOWs". He said that he figured most of the managers would want to use AI here to vaguely make life easier or to save time. The #1 use people ticked off was "summarize/take meeting notes." I don't recall if there was an option for "no I don't want to use AI."

For me, the two things "AI" does well are answer basic programming questions I have without having to bother one of the actual programmers in the company, and summarizing a meeting that wandered all over in topics. But the things the higher ups want to use AI for are all terrible ideas completely unrelated to these two simple uses.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Antigravitas posted:

There is absolutely zero reason to trust microsoft.

If it's not opt-in, it's a breach waiting to happen.

And it won't be opt-in, regardless of what they say. Look at what they've done with Windows telemetry, year after year after year. When you're asking yourself whether you can trust Microsoft with this power, ask yourself this: where's the money in letting it be purely opt-in, with no data flowing to Microsoft? They've already got a captive market, they don't need to sell people on Windows, Windows is personal computing for the most part. They just need to extract as much value from that captive audience as possible, and data is valuable.

Even if it starts out as optional and seemingly benign, as long as they retain the ability to essentially flip a switch via a series of updates, the risk is there. Absolute rejection of this idea is the only way to prevent it, and that won't happen because not enough people care. Better get used to the idea of being harvested even more than we currently are, unless you're willing to go to whatever lengths the privacy advocate hackers devise to lobotomize this poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Once again my future as a digital luddite in the woods is even more cemented.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Microsoft recall feature requires a special CPU that isn't even available at the consumer level yet, so it will be a while before it is an issue.

According to an interview, you can opt out and exempt certain programs from the recall feature. All the info is also stored locally and never uploaded to any cloud.

If someone else has physical access to your PC, you allow someone else to remote in, or you share a Windows login/profile with multiple people, then it could be a privacy nightmare because all of those people could view your recall history.

The data being stored locally is different from inferences extracted from the data not being sent to the mothership. They're basically saying that the processing isn't done in the cloud, which is very, very different from "we're not going to use this to spy on you."

My overall take is that what they're describing is way too much effort and overhead for the value add to customers for them to not be lying about what it can do, how they stand to benefit, or both.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wait, is that...

Bah god, that's GDPR's music!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kestral posted:

And it won't be opt-in, regardless of what they say. Look at what they've done with Windows telemetry, year after year after year. When you're asking yourself whether you can trust Microsoft with this power, ask yourself this: where's the money in letting it be purely opt-in, with no data flowing to Microsoft? They've already got a captive market, they don't need to sell people on Windows, Windows is personal computing for the most part. They just need to extract as much value from that captive audience as possible, and data is valuable.

Even if it starts out as optional and seemingly benign, as long as they retain the ability to essentially flip a switch via a series of updates, the risk is there. Absolute rejection of this idea is the only way to prevent it, and that won't happen because not enough people care. Better get used to the idea of being harvested even more than we currently are, unless you're willing to go to whatever lengths the privacy advocate hackers devise to lobotomize this poo poo.

The article covers it a bit: the line of computers with all these extra AI features are going to be a pricier premium line, partially because they require special dedicated hardware features to do it and partially because of course Microsoft is gonna charge more for Windows 11 Copilot Plus Edition with a bunch of extra features and OEM software. It seems like they're trying to use this to drive the market for chips with NPUs so that they can stake out an early dominant position in running generative AIs locally rather than on the cloud.

The bigger issue is that since all this stuff is being done locally, it's going to have an significant impact on CPU usage, battery life, and hard drive space.

As for the question of why they wouldn't want this data, the fact is that they've already had a taste of this data and decided it wasn't worth it. Windows 10 had this same "feature" from 2018 to 2021, except it uploaded a history of everything you did to the cloud rather than storing it locally (back then, it was called "Timeline" rather than "Recall").

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I kinda remember windows already having a timeline feature, windows 11 even.

I'm kind of curious like who these copilot+ laptops are for though. What enterprise would want this on their employees computer?

Unless the end game is for Microsoft to pitch an enterprise version where this data can be used to train a virtual employee model to make human employees obsolete.

… that's the endgame isn't it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I kinda remember windows already having a timeline feature, windows 11 even.

I'm kind of curious like who these copilot+ laptops are for though. What enterprise would want this on their employees computer?

Unless the end game is for Microsoft to pitch an enterprise version where this data can be used to train a virtual employee model to make human employees obsolete.

… that's the endgame isn't it?

They also come with live AI-generated captions for any speech you play, generative AI addons to the standard Paint and Photos apps, included licenses for the paid versions of several professional media creation programs (like Adobe Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, and dJay Pro), and built-in locally-running ChatGPT 4o.

The selling point isn't the Recall thing specifically. Rather, the selling point is having dedicated hardware for running generative AI models and LLMs locally without needing to have an expensive graphics card. But they don't actually have any good ideas for how to use generative AI for anything more than replacing artists, so they're just rehashing some failed Win10 features with LLM enhancements so they don't have to make media generation the centerpiece of their marketing around it.

The endgame is that you get used to talking to your preinstalled Microsoft LLM chatbot before any of their competitors can make an optimized local NPU LLM, so they can claim they own the local AI market.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Main Paineframe posted:

The article covers it a bit: the line of computers with all these extra AI features are going to be a pricier premium line, partially because they require special dedicated hardware features to do it and partially because of course Microsoft is gonna charge more for Windows 11 Copilot Plus Edition with a bunch of extra features and OEM software. It seems like they're trying to use this to drive the market for chips with NPUs so that they can stake out an early dominant position in running generative AIs locally rather than on the cloud.

The bigger issue is that since all this stuff is being done locally, it's going to have an significant impact on CPU usage, battery life, and hard drive space.

As for the question of why they wouldn't want this data, the fact is that they've already had a taste of this data and decided it wasn't worth it. Windows 10 had this same "feature" from 2018 to 2021, except it uploaded a history of everything you did to the cloud rather than storing it locally (back then, it was called "Timeline" rather than "Recall").

Problem is, hardware that’s special premium functionality right now will be default in short order. You make a good point about their trying to drive the hardware market in a certain direction and stake a claim there, but I can’t say any of that reassures me because it’s all fully compatible with a desire to eventually have every keystroke and mouse click you make be mined for value.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Microsoft wanting their laptops to have a neural engine is just them catching up with Apple (every Mac has one) and smart phone and tablet manufacturers (every phone and iPad has one). So I get why they want to get in on that space too. I was just trying to see it from an enterprise perspective.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Windows 11 does it too. I still get the "hey let's finish setting up your online Windows account" prompts after every update and I' can only assume that Microsoft is eventually going to remove the "remind me later" option and force you to do so.

I get a "You browsing history is turned OFF" reminder every time I visit Youtube. Yes, Google, thank you. I am aware that my browsing history is turned off because I prefer it that way but thanks for asking. Again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Microsoft wanting their laptops to have a neural engine is just them catching up with Apple (every Mac has one) and smart phone and tablet manufacturers (every phone and iPad has one). So I get why they want to get in on that space too. I was just trying to see it from an enterprise perspective.

Enterprise is absolutely obsessed with LLMs and generative AI right now. Executives and middle managers all over the world are gonna be super excited at the prospect of being able to farm all their work tasks out to ChatGPT without getting bitched at by the IT security department for sending all their precious corporate data off to the cloud.

Adopting the brand recognition of OpenAI for themselves using built-in ChatGPT is an obvious move for Microsoft. And shipping Windows with their own product built in so that competitors will have an uphill battle getting people to install competing software is right out of Microsoft's old playbook.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

We have plenty of research projects that require confidentiality. It sucks that I have to view the vendor of the OS half of our computers run on as an adversary. Microsoft constantly invents new ways of being assholes, like when they exfiltrated people's mstsc invocations and leaked them via bing (among many other things they leaked).

I wish MS would just gently caress off and make a good OS that I could trust.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Enterprise is absolutely obsessed with LLMs and generative AI right now. Executives and middle managers all over the world are gonna be super excited at the prospect of being able to farm all their work tasks out to ChatGPT without getting bitched at by the IT security department for sending all their precious corporate data off to the cloud.

I'm curious if the Boeings and Northrop Grummans and Lockheeds of the world are fine with their engineers having this type of telemetry and data logging baked into their computers. I can see enterprises like Pepsi Co and Nestle not giving a f but I struggle to see engineering firms wanting any of this. But who knows maybe I'm just out of touch. Genuinely curious tbh.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 22, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If we could trust the model, having a summary of all the qualitative survey data we receive at my company would be a really, really nice benefit. We get a ton of NPS data that we can correlate with tests or feature launches but we just don't have the man power to comb through open text responses that would help us better understand the why behind scores.

I noticed the Amazon app doing something similar now with reviews and providing an AI summary of the greater sum.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Dave posted:

I noticed the Amazon app doing something similar now with reviews and providing an AI summary of the greater sum.

It's finally happening. We've got spammers using AI to inflate their review counts with flowery generated language, and then AI to condense that back into a regular, possibly even correct, message.

A gigantic waste of resources just to have a machine do unnecessary layers of translation.

Very thankful for this innovation folks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duz posted:

You can't really have surge pricing in any situation where the customer isn't paying/ordering in advance.
If the price increases on an item between the customer grabbing it and paying for it, not only is the customer going to be angry, there might be laws violated by the store for doing that.

I suppose if a supermarket made customers walk around with hand-held scanners it could work. You'd get it at the price it scanned at, even if it changed by the time you got to the checkout.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm curious if the Boeings and Northrop Grummans and Lockheeds of the world are fine with their engineers having this type of telemetry and data logging baked into their computers. I can see enterprises like Pepsi Co and Nestle not giving a f but I struggle to see engineering firms wanting any of this. But who knows maybe I'm just out of touch. Genuinely curious tbh.

That's half the point of it: it keeps the important data local, instead of sending it off to the cloud. The managers at those companies are the kind of people who get monthly emails saying "IMPORTANT REMINDER: DO NOT ASK CHATGPT TO DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU, BECAUSE WE'RE TURBOFUCKED IF ANY OF OUR DATA TOUCHES SOMEONE ELSE'S SERVERS". Being able to run LLMs locally instead of via the cloud is going to be enormously attractive to these people.

There's not really much of a security concern here unless you think Microsoft is lying and is secretly going to vacuum up all the data even though they said they wouldn't. And if companies that deal with sensitive or confidential data thought Microsoft was untrustworthy enough to do that in the expensive enterprise versions of Windows, they wouldn't be using Windows in the first place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Actually one of the reasons dinosaurs could get so big is they had way better lungs than modern mammals,

I swear, bird lungs will never make sense to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Iirc they work like a bellows (in flight); the simple act of flapping their wings allows them to pull in air in high performance mode. As easy as walking.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, so all lungs operate by putting air next to pseudo fractal broccoli looking brachial structures. Thes exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Mammal lungs are either soft or semi rigid(sea life and true mega fauna have no upper chest cavity, and aquatic mammals have cartilage frameworks to prevent their lungs getting crushed) single sacs that expand and contract with both chest muscles and a diaphragm muscle. Mammals lungs fill with the same bag as they filter, for most of the filtering the air is still in the lung.

Birds have a typically rigid lung and 2 relevant air sacs per lung(they technically have more air sacs but only 2 are typically relevant for respiratory action). It's like a 4 stroke piston. Fresh air flows through the lung to the posterior sac, exhales forward to the lung, next inhale pushes waste air to the anterior sac(s), final exhale pushes waste air back up the trachea. They always have relatively fresh air flowing over bronchial tissue, so they don't have rhythmic drops in blood oxygenation or build up of CO2.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont humans also have eyes from the mammal linage that went out of the water, went back to the water, and came back out?

so we have a land eye that re evolved to do water and then re evolved to do land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

PhazonLink posted:

dont humans also have eyes from the mammal linage that went out of the water, went back to the water, and came back out?

so we have a land eye that re evolved to do water and then re evolved to do land.

I believe that's considered disproved.

On the nightmares of the day, Google Bard sent me a text message today. I blocked it and reported it as spam.