Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They don't really look like that one converted model. Much smaller, that dude was more like a Terminator.

They look exactly the same, from the backpack to the legs to the longer bolters. That "debunk" wasn't even right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

They look exactly the same, from the backpack to the legs to the longer bolters. That "debunk" wasn't even right.

It looks smaller though, I think.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ijyt posted:

They look far more like the new Deathwatch and Thousand Sons, basically marines not standing in a squat.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
People were saying the exact same thing when the updated Tacticals came out with those pair of straightened legs.

The last serious scale creep was 3rd/4th ed Marines compared to the 5th onwards kits, and even there it was only a slight bit.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SteelMentor posted:

People were saying the exact same thing when the updated Tacticals came out with those pair of straightened legs.

The last serious scale creep was 3rd/4th ed Marines compared to the 5th onwards kits, and even there it was only a slight bit.

Yeah the Deathwatch look a bit taller than most marines because they're also standing more upright. These look like the same size to me/on par with the Chaos Chosen released in 7th edition. Plus they're being painted as Ultramarines here and armed with bolters, which says "new marine models" to me and not so much "whole new faction of sigmar marines all your old poo poo is obsolete"

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Interesting that Inquisition is no more and Imperial Agents is its own thing, not just a supplemental codex. And Sisters of Battle are still a separate thing? Maybe we haven't seen new sister sculpts because they're truescale...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

It looks smaller though, I think.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They look far more like the new Deathwatch and Thousand Sons, basically marines not standing in a squat.

They're identical.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

ijyt posted:

They're identical.

I for one welcome our new Guillimarine overlords...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is 40k good now?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

is 40k good now?

It's still in 7th edition, so no.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Those look like 32mm bases as well, if they were Stormcast size they'd be on 40mm's.

I really like the new Bolters, that slight elongation makes them look a lot more functional.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Anyone have a gut feeling on whether the gathering storm books will bottom out in price or stay high? I still need to pick them up for my Obsessive Collector Mentality, but if I can get them more cheaply, I'm all for it. I think they'll probably go down, due to uselessness, but there's always a chance of scarcity driving up demand.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't really play 40K anymore haven't played a game in probably 6 or 7 years, so I'm not exactly the target demographic or the most informed commentator, but I hope they don't just make Vehicles use wounds.

I always thought knowing the facing of vehicles and having them behave noticeably different when being shot was one of the coolest elements of the shooting phase when I used to play.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

You can probably pick them up locally cheaper than online.

ijyt posted:

They're identical.

Ah, well then.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd be pretty down with an official push towards movie Marines. They'd never do it because money, but still.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You can probably pick them up locally cheaper than online.

Ah, well then.

Most of the local stores are pretty tightass. Won't hurt to try, I suppose.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

I'm the Cheetos-cron. :allears:

They should really just give the Eagle Ordinary lass a staff job at this point.

Her art style doesn't really match the 40K aesthetic, but I think it's great that they are utilizing her for stuff like this.

Also, those drawings are super awesome and actually make me more excited than any promo art GW has put out in years.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

It's still in 7th edition, so no.

heck!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

thegodofchuck posted:

Most of the local stores are pretty tightass. Won't hurt to try, I suppose.

Probably more like when the local stores have a flea market or something like that would be the best way to pick them up cheaply.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
If they roll all of CSM back into a single flavorless legion agasin I will sell my stuff for ballast on a dingy fishing boat.

Feel kinda bad for my friends who -just- bought Traitor's Hate and Chaos Legions, but other than that, seems more good that not.

So far.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
*strokes hard copy of tau codex and weeps*

At least the FAQ makes everything sound exciting.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sephyr posted:

If they roll all of CSM back into a single flavorless legion agasin I will sell my stuff for ballast on a dingy fishing boat.

Feel kinda bad for my friends who -just- bought Traitor's Hate and Chaos Legions, but other than that, seems more good that not.

So far.

They already announced Death Guard and they're listing Thousand Sons as a separate faction so no, I don't think we're going to go back to a single flavorless legion

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

congrats on your new stylish paperweight :)

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Wirth1000 posted:

Don't worry, the fluff and hobby sections are still valid!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
#heretics

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen enough, kill them all

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So are the Genestealers a separate faction from the Tyranids now? How does all of that work? I think they used to be separate back in 2nd edition (?) and I distinctly remember they had a big, retarded space limo (!) that you could ride around in.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

goose willis posted:

So are the Genestealers a separate faction from the Tyranids now? How does all of that work? I think they used to be separate back in 2nd edition (?) and I distinctly remember they had a big, retarded space limo (!) that you could ride around in.

They are a separate faction (Genestealer Cult), they can currently ally with guard or tyranids

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Invalidating Codexes pretty much insures the luanch of 8th will be bad. It means they either have to come up with good and interesting rules for every unit in the game and then give them away for free or, and more likely, white wash huge chunks of the units in the game until they come out with supplements to making them interesting. Seeing how they have handled writing rules for pre-existing models in the past this might be an AOS level bad luanch.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Invalidating Codexes pretty much insures the luanch of 8th will be bad. It means they either have to come up with good and interesting rules for every unit in the game and then give them away for free or, and more likely, white wash huge chunks of the units in the game until they come out with supplements to making them interesting. Seeing how they have handled writing rules for pre-existing models in the past this might be an AOS level bad luanch.

To be fair, every edition they launch with old books still in it is a poo poo show too.

With half the armies rules turning to dogshit due to some change or becoming over the top good for others.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Black_Nexus posted:

They are a separate faction (Genestealer Cult), they can currently ally with guard or tyranids

Yes but are they completely separate from Tyranids now? The faction description makes no mention of Tyranids, so I figure maybe they spun them off into an entirely separate army, which makes much more sense because I never felt that Genestealers properly fit into the rest of Tyranids.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Black_Nexus posted:

To be fair, every edition they launch with old books still in it is a poo poo show too.

With half the armies rules turning to dogshit due to some change or becoming over the top good for others.

The switch fron 6th to 7th wasnt so bad. And I am less concerned about balance, that has never existes in 40k. I am more worried that all the armies will play very similarly. Like even though my Nids are super weak they play very different from my DA or Aeldari.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goose willis posted:

Yes but are they completely separate from Tyranids now? The faction description makes no mention of Tyranids, so I figure maybe they spun them off into an entirely separate army, which makes much more sense because I never felt that Genestealers properly fit into the rest of Tyranids.

For all purposes, yes. Even in the fluff, the Genestealer cult is just a beacon for the Tyranid. When they arrive to devour the world as many Genestealers escape to renew the cycle on other worlds, otherwise they too are eventually dumped into the digestion pools. Genestealers are as independent of Tyranid as possible while still technically being members.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I think it's profoundly goofy to have them have any connection to the Tyranids at all. Why do they need some sort of humanoid beacon, and why does the beacon take the form of something out of a wacky 50s sci-fi pulp novel while the rest of the army is just the bugs from Starship Troopers? They really do make sense as an entirely separate army, which would give them much cooler options that they wouldn't be able to take if they were just solely a vanguard force for the space bugs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

The switch fron 6th to 7th wasnt so bad.
Yeah, because 7th was basically 6th with a FAQ applied. Changes were minimal, but the codex design shifted over to formations and formations of formations and unlimited detachments were allowed. Thanks to those little changes, 7th killed my interest in the game and I actually liked 6th well enough.

I'm skeptical about 8th, but the fact that the current crop of codexes and supplements is being invalidated gives me a little hope. They were rear end. I know it's similar to what they did with Age of Sigmar, but at least this time they're keeping the basic structure of the game. We'll see. I'll probably give it a shot.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

lmao

I'm strapped in for NEW GAMES WORKSHOPS WILD RIDE

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 22, 2017

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

goose willis posted:

I think it's profoundly goofy to have them have any connection to the Tyranids at all. Why do they need some sort of humanoid beacon, and why does the beacon take the form of something out of a wacky 50s sci-fi pulp novel while the rest of the army is just the bugs from Starship Troopers? They really do make sense as an entirely separate army, which would give them much cooler options that they wouldn't be able to take if they were just solely a vanguard force for the space bugs.

It's also about biomass availability on the planet. The hive fleet or tendril doesn't want to waste the resources narwhaling to a planet that is barren save for a few psykers it saw on radar. The cult also serves to disrupt local militia and governance, making the reclaiming part of the invasion happen quicker and easier. Sure, they can look a bit goofy, but GSCs are a classic institution, and with everything in this game that makes no sense on the surface, at least you have to look at these guys a little harder before it starts unraveling.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
it's also about Limos, this is very important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, I also prefer them to just ditch all the old codexes, -provided- they do a good and thorough job of translating all of them to the new rules while preserving flavor and capabilities.

Having some armies being 2-3 editions behind the others due to release schedules was always a bad deal in all ways.

But as someone to hopped onto Dark Eldar after their much delayed and amazing 5th-edition codex only to see them basically imploded by 6th edition, I can't help but feel a bit jumpy that Chaos Legions were a similar brief, bittersweet spot of joy before the great pasteurizing.

• Locked thread