Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Talos principal for $3 is drat good as well
it's kinda like a portal successor
it's also fairly long for a puzzle game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Xaris posted:

yeah I saw that and got excited but then looked into it and it looked bad

it was similarly on sale for a couple bucks when i got it. but despite playing enter for probably 50-100 hours, i don't know if i played more than an hour of exit. it was a very dull game and i hardly remember anything about it. they should have just done enter the gungeon dlc or something

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How the hell did I just learn now that the original Star Control guys are doing a new thing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity

Only like 24 hours to go and they're 500% funded. I gave them money because I love Star Control 2 too much and never purchased it legitimately, even if the game is a flop I will have no regrets

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

highly recommend death's door, extremely good video game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Lobe posted:

How the hell did I just learn now that the original Star Control guys are doing a new thing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pistolshrimp/free-stars-children-of-infinity

Only like 24 hours to go and they're 500% funded. I gave them money because I love Star Control 2 too much and never purchased it legitimately, even if the game is a flop I will have no regrets

urquan masters ftw

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
System Shock 1 remake is pretty cool. Never played the original and I can see how this is faithful to its aesthetic, but man does the color scheme and lighting hurt my eyes after a while. Excited to see how things play out now that SS2 is fresh in my mind.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 08:52 on May 17, 2024

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Just finished up the Fallout Amazon series and it was great. People who said it poo poo on the canon of the older games and FNV are dumb as hell. If anything it completely abandoned the whole "Heroic Brotherhood" angle of FO3.

It does some weird stuff with ghouls, but I'm not really bothered. I'm honestly relieved there weren't any Super Mutants, I think they might be too goofy and give audiences bad "Warcraft Orc" vibes.

Really tempted to start a new FNV playthrough now...

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thank you, Oceanus!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hatebag posted:

lol. there should be dark souls style pop ups

BRAIN INJURED

blitz: the league remains the best NFL game

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Al! posted:

intrusive thought i had just now, the first shadowrun game had a bunch of backer npc portraits, with every flavor of gross tabletop nerd represented and it was actually immersion enhancing as id imagine shadowrunners are more like greasy rejects and freaks with implants than the perfectly fit sex gods of cyberpunk 2077

In Shadowrun you could get a totally new and custom face in 20 minutes at the mall for a few hundred bucks, but the NPCs still choose to look that way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's Reaver's Harmony done and dusted, as for the overhauled Cydonia mission, all I can say to anybody playing on insane-o difficulty is "good luck" lol. Turns out all those end game super weapons were there for a reason, but as ever what really saw me through was the humble Smoke Grenade. It's really hilarious how badly smoke fucks over aliens. I definitely feel like I could do a harder difficult in future though - I restarted on Experienced only because it reduced the curve on UFO power and air combat while keeping the fun stuff hard, but now that I know what to shoot for research-wise it doesn't actually feel like too crazy a prospect.

As ever, my end game ended up being as hard as possible because I maintain such a slow and deliberate pace in these games - a boon on the battlescape (only lost 18 soldiers total), but a great handicap on the geoscape.

Not sure what I'll move onto next, probably the first of the reboots to see what it's got going on, as every other UFO Defense modpack on my radar are incredibly long and involved affairs that it'll be a few weeks before I'm up for.

Overall and extremely excellent modpack from top to bottom, with my favorite things being the buffed tanks (offensively still pretty meek but they're MUCH more durable so can scout and provide mobile cover) and a masterful rebalancing of weapons such that every single one excelled if you used it correctly, with even the basic pistol being really good at the beginning. My main ended up being the Heavy Auto-Laser, a TU-intensive powerhouse welcome to me who always liked the laser weapons most of all, and had the virtue of not needing ammo, unlike the plasma weapons which only got new clips from looting and the endgame spawns did not drop them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Just finished up the Fallout Amazon series and it was great. People who said it poo poo on the canon of the older games and FNV are dumb as hell. If anything it completely abandoned the whole "Heroic Brotherhood" angle of FO3.

It does some weird stuff with ghouls, but I'm not really bothered. I'm honestly relieved there weren't any Super Mutants, I think they might be too goofy and give audiences bad "Warcraft Orc" vibes.

Really tempted to start a new FNV playthrough now...

I don't think it shits on the lore, though it does play a bit fast and loose with it. My only real issues with it stem from them shutting down old plotpoints that were interesting and would have made for great games in the future. But overall it's a fun show that I was pleasantly surprised by. Mostly good acting, fun and interesting set pieces and genuinely funny humor.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Lobe posted:

i been waiting for this thing since i was a literal child so i hope it turns out well. i wanted them to hit the voice acting goal but i don't think it's going to happen.

Loop Hero on phone! speaking of phone games, when is Balatro on my phone.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

uber_stoat posted:

i been waiting for this thing since i was a literal child so i hope it turns out well. i wanted them to hit the voice acting goal but i don't think it's going to happen.

Loop Hero on phone! speaking of phone games, when is Balatro on my phone.

Don't be so sure, there's often a last minute surge on kickstarters and now they're only 70k away with about 23 hours left

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I started an ironman veteran game of x-com and I lost the game entirely in month 2 lol

I lost a bunch of people on a terror mission and then like two weeks later my loving base got invaded??? by a ton of guys with psy powers??

alright man take it easy, fuckin aliens

dunno what I could have done about that it was like a million psychic sectoids and 10 cyberdiscs or something vs my 8 guys with laser pistols

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

I started an ironman veteran game of x-com and I lost the game entirely in month 2 lol

I lost a bunch of people on a terror mission and then like two weeks later my loving base got invaded??? by a ton of guys with psy powers??

alright man take it easy, fuckin aliens

dunno what I could have done about that it was like a million psychic sectoids and 10 cyberdiscs or something vs my 8 guys with laser pistols

have way more guys

you see off the first base attack by having like 25 guys in reserve and drowning them with bodies (and if you had laser pistols you could even hit the resist hole on the cyberdisks and bring them down without needing high explosive)

it can also be worth it to redo the layout on your starting base to be less vulnerable to attack (invaders only spawn in the hangar and base elevator tiles; making them attack from one direction is a common way to optimize)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
ghosts of Tsushima is good so far; though I think I got spoiled with Kojima and even zero dawn that the characters look just mildly not as good as I expected but I also got to remind myself that this is a PS4 port

I took advice and started with Lethal difficulty, so far I’m doing OK but definitely got owned quickly if I gently caress up. but it is fun to run in and just instagib guys

port seems smooth, all the good dlss settings and stuff, but the game crashes after alt tabbing for more than a minute which is mildly annoying

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Openxcom has an option called Defensive Starter Base or similar, which puts your hangars at the top and just the access lift connecting them to the rest, I highly recommend it and it isnt even vaguely cheaty because you'll want to be doing that anyway. Base defense is so, so much easier when they all have to funnel through a single room. Put your living quarters around there too if you can but that isnt as critical.

Other than that, the OG games have the reputation they do for a reason. Order up a whole battalion of chumps, pick out the handful that arent completely awful and mark them to keep them alive, then lean into the power of walls of minimally equipped meat and explosives.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Never underestimate the power of vast numbers of rookies firing wildly and chucking grenades. Accuracy by volume.

Also remember that rookies make good ablative armor for your more valuable troops, including soaking up psi panics if you disarm them and keep them in LOS of the sectoids

Life is cheap in the defense of earth

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i liked playing the original xcom as a kid but i never really got anywhere in it because it seemed like no matter what i did, i would get swamped in terror sites with advanced aliens before i could ever really get production of even halfway decent equipment off the ground

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The key to OG XCOM is to become a black market arms dealer. You can make medkits and laser cannons and sell them for more profit than you'd make defending the planet

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1791157235097203024?t=aYD-rgwF98gliOZHIN2How&s=19

100% Orange Juice is an Mario Party-like boardgame where things are very incomprehensible and I highly recommend it for the price of free

hell yeah looks great!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and og XCOM has more in common with strategy games than the tactical RPGs the remakes leaned a lot more into. Units are meant to be resources and you're given such big squads because you're expected to take losses.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009
Dread Delusion is really good, and you should ignore all the stupid fuckin articles who keep talking about how it's like Skyrim or Morrowind. The RPG system is very stripped back - 4 stats, 8 skills, only a few equipment slots, enemies drop a random consumable or a bit of cash instead of having a lootable inventory - and it's not really trying to be either of those games. I think people are just seeing giant mushrooms and psychedelics and assuming it's Morrowind.

It's a lot closer to an immersive sim crossed with Gothic 1 on the gameplay side, with its world-building taking a lot of inspiration from Kill Six Billion Demons and China Mieville. The 0451 stuff is pretty simple - quite often you'll enter a room with three doors, one requiring Lore, one requiring Lockpicking, and one requiring Charm - but the aesthetic carries it, and despite being extremely easy it's really chill and enjoyable to wander around and poke and prod at all the snail godlets and paradox flowers. I'm about 6 hours in and unless the next few regions are a big drop in quality I'd say it's worth it so far.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've got a fully built up castle in V Rising and now I'm getting brainstorms telling me to build a new one in the endgame areas.

I know there's a castle relocation feature, but if I build a new one I will have two castle.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jibs Monteef posted:

and it's not really trying to be either of those games. I think people are just seeing giant mushrooms and psychedelics and assuming it's Morrowind.

the dev mentioned it as a influence and media has run with that, when I think it was more like, aesthetically one of their influences

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

the dev mentioned it as a influence and media has run with that, when I think it was more like, aesthetically one of their influences

Aesthetically it's in the mix somewhere, but yeah. This feels like boosting hype for something that I think stands on its own merits, as a smaller scope, less sprawling experience. I'd be annoyed if I went in expecting some massive Morrowind-type journey with tons of questlines and got a completely different game, and I think knowing that it's a shorter, more compact deal than what is being portrayed by your PC Gamers and Eurogamers is worth mentioning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The upside of og XCOM is that big squads lend themselves to more tactics than the smaller teams of later games do. You can split up into fireteams to search for enemies, regroup as necessary, cover angles and all that tactical poo poo. Being absolutely psychotically paranoid is rewarded.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Huh, hadn't even heard there was a kickstarter for a Star-Control game by some of the original creators and it ends today? It seems to have gotten way past its goals though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if this is still in-vogue since the last time I played OG X-com, but as I understood it, you wanted to fill the Skyranger with new recruits and rifles (and grenades/HE) for everyone, beeline for laser weapons, and expand your engineering spaces as much as your regular budget could allow

the moment you can produce at least laser pistols, then you start manufacturing those, first to outfit everyone, but then start selling them because it's essentially free money

same thing goes for when you get to laser rifles, but heavy lasers don't get used, they just get sold off

the economy side then becomes cookie-clicker-esque where you spend money to hire more engineers to build more laser weapons to sell for money to hire more engineers, and you use all that cashflow to keep your Skyranger stocked with troops and expanding into new bases

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If I remember right laser cannons have the best rate of return, followed by either medkits or motion scanners

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

About the only thing motion scanners are good for, too.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

need to replay mad max and see if doctor demntus has the same car in the game as in the movie

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The upside of og XCOM is that big squads lend themselves to more tactics than the smaller teams of later games do. You can split up into fireteams to search for enemies, regroup as necessary, cover angles and all that tactical poo poo. Being absolutely psychotically paranoid is rewarded.

Yeah that's why it's so great, but also because there are no classes. Everybody can use any piece of gear, including from aliens if you research it, so you can throw a rifle from somebody with only the TUs to do that to someone else to take a shot, everybody can get medkits and sidearms and all that. Tanks also act as mobile cover and scouts. It's a ton of fun.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

About the only thing motion scanners are good for, too.

Disagree, but only because in openXcom if you press LAlt after scanning it will show you the spots where an enemy was spotted on the battlescape as well as everybody's orientation

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One thing the bigger team size allows is just lining everybody up and marching across the map shooting any alien you see either directly or with reaction fire. It's essentially how I clear every alien base including the final one

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The original XCOM came right smack in the middle of the interregnum between my early C64 gaming days and my a-bit-later PC gaming days, so I missed a game that seems like it was made specifically for late-teens/early-20s me. (I did play a fair bit of the first new one).

Your posts are definitely making me want to try it out!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Its very good, costs like 5 bux full price at most, and has the best modern engine replacement for an old game in openXcom Extended that I've ever seen. Play it! Even today theres nothing quite as good and after Gold Box stuff the graphics will seem excessively detailed

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Its very good, costs like 5 bux full price at most, and has the best modern engine replacement for an old game in openXcom Extended that I've ever seen. Play it! Even today theres nothing quite as good and after Gold Box stuff the graphics will seem excessively detailed

Yeah, between Gold Box and Wasteland, low-fi tactical combat is pretty inarguably my jam. I want to finally dive into Baldur's Gate 3 after this Cyberpunk run and then I suspect I'll be Elding on the Ring all day again when the DLC comes out, but this definitely deserves a prominent place on my dance card

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yeah, between Gold Box and Wasteland, low-fi tactical combat is pretty inarguably my jam. I want to finally dive into Baldur's Gate 3 after this Cyberpunk run and then I suspect I'll be Elding on the Ring all day again when the DLC comes out, but this definitely deserves a prominent place on my dance card

The nice thing with the OG XCOM (and the newer ones, or at least XCOM2 at least) is that there's also a surprisingly expansive mod scene, so it stays really fresh. Even the biggest mods still run off a flash drive or even the oldest work computer so easy to knock out a mission or two during downtime. I myself just returned to it on a whim when I remembered I had an experimental install on my work flash drive, after not playing it since its PS1 release lol, very glad I did it's remembered for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the mod constellation that turns your X Com game into X Files. The first tier of transportation is buying a plane ticket and renting a car, so you can only bring two agents with pistols to go rough up a chupacabra.

There's also a combat focused mod pack that turns you into pirates. Just a wonderful little game with decades of mod stuff named into it.