Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Had my car in for its biennial inspection, which it obviously passed with flying colors.

Basically the only things the inspector had to note was that the oil was below the halfway mark on the dipstick and that the mileage was surprisingly low for its age.

"Take good care of it, and you'll have a great car for the next 10 years, at least."

I do believe I will do exactly that, mr. Friendly Inspector Man :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

New wiper blades and a gallon of washer fluid :woop:

My jets are clogged though :argh:

The Trico-made Carquest brand blades are actually quite nice compared to the Bosch Icons the PO had on there.

Should be able to clear em out using a staple - punch one out of your nearest desk stapler, bend the legs straight, and root around in the jet nozzle a little. Used to clear a couple a day out like this when I was a quicklube greasemonkey. It wasn't on our list of services performed (:haw:), but it sure made people happy and cost nothing.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I know this isn't the place to mention it, and the post above made me think of it, but we really need a downs-haw emoticon.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Should be able to clear em out using a staple - punch one out of your nearest desk stapler, bend the legs straight, and root around in the jet nozzle a little. Used to clear a couple a day out like this when I was a quicklube greasemonkey. It wasn't on our list of services performed (:haw:), but it sure made people happy and cost nothing.

Yeah, they clog up because of how much I play in the mud running down routes (offroad lowered E30 :haw:). I used to have a safety pin in the car for the purpose but it has escaped. Never thought of using a staple though, I'll do that the next time I leave the office. Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Found two tiny paint chips that have rusted.

drat it.

Also put my first lump of cash away into savings to prepare for a future vehicle in say, 2015.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Did the front brake lines in the corolla today, the rubber was starting to flake off.

Also got new ball joints to install but the main crown nut cotter pin snapped off and the closed end of a wrench just about fits but the CV joint is in the way
:suicide:. If I grind the wrench down a little it will slide on. But that's for another day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced a turn signal bulb in the E39. It was so exciting I didn't even take a picture!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yesterday I had quite an AI voyage. Crossposting from the Vancouver thread:

So yesterday morning I got on a skytrain to the greyhound station, then jumped on a greyhound to Kamloops, then took a cab to the Kamloops airport, then a shuttle to sun peaks, and found, jumpstarted, and drove my new truck back to Vancouver which someone from work sold me for $800. It's a 5 speed 96 pathfinder that the guy used for hunting up there. I found out where it was using google street view as the guy didn't remember his own address :science:

And also glad that I got it running and didn't have to find a way back down to Vancouver. A fun adventure anyways. I left at 5:15 in the morning and got back home at 8PM.

The truck is a 5 speed 1996 pathfinder (R50) with 266k kms and it runs perfectly! Also came with 4 new winter tires inside of it. Today I'm replacing the rotors and pads as the rotors on it are super warped. Might also be replacing the battery today.

When I got to her:

The 5 hour drive home :3:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Found two tiny paint chips that have rusted.

That's probably no different than a regular paint chip, just requires one more step in touching up. Just use a sanding pen and that will take the rust away, right down to the metal. Some fancy European touch-up paints have them built-in to the cap, or you can get them from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FN8H52/gtd-ps-20/

Just scratch away the rust, wipe and paint.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

Yesterday I had quite an AI voyage.
Very cool. Please tell me you put the winter tires on for the run down the Coquihalla. :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

That's probably no different than a regular paint chip, just requires one more step in touching up. Just use a sanding pen and that will take the rust away, right down to the metal. Some fancy European touch-up paints have them built-in to the cap, or you can get them from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FN8H52/gtd-ps-20/

Just scratch away the rust, wipe and paint.

The hood has some wicked paint chips so I had planned to get the whole hood resprayed but the rust is worrying me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Very cool. Please tell me you put the winter tires on for the run down the Coquihalla. :ohdear:

It already had winters on it! I'm not really sure why he bought the new ones. The brand new tires in the back are Cooper Discover M+S's, which seem fairly expensive and I'm not sure if it's better to just sell them, as the winters on the truck right now still have 70% tread or so.

Today I replaced the battery and battery tie downs, as well as bought an OBD2 reader so I could wipe the check engine light and sneak it through aircare (it passed!).

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 1, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You scored a hell of deal - passed aircare, two sets of good winter tires, and apparently mechanically sound, all for $800 plus whatever it cost you to get out to it. I guess there's an upside to buying a car from a snowboard / ski-bum stoner too baked to remember where he left it. Was there a distinct scent of weed lingering inside?

If you don't spend much of your time driving it on wintery roads (I dunno, maybe you bought this to run to Whistler for skiing/snowboarding/drinking every weekend) you're probably best off selling one set of tires and buying a set of all-seasons for summer use.

I was idly considering a Pathfinder of about that vintage a couple of years ago; my research at the time only indicated the automatic transmissions as a probable weak point (and expensive fix); with the manual that truck will make an awesome all-year runabout / camping / get-out-doors-and-have-fun vehicle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

VelociBacon posted:

Today I replaced the battery and battery tie downs, as well as bought an OBD2 reader so I could wipe the check engine light and sneak it through aircare (it passed!).

What was the light on for? Those are pretty bulletproof aside from the auto (which you mentioned), and the ECU is as basic as it gets for an OBD2 system.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't fail it for the readiness monitors showing not ready, unless they just did a tailpipe sniff. Hell of a deal on it!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 1, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

You scored a hell of deal - passed aircare, two sets of good winter tires, and apparently mechanically sound, all for $800 plus whatever it cost you to get out to it. I guess there's an upside to buying a car from a snowboard / ski-bum stoner too baked to remember where he left it. Was there a distinct scent of weed lingering inside?

I reckon. I'm desperately trying to find a way to raise that amount for another vehicle that came up. A Nissan Patrol with an engine / trans swap from a V6 commonwhore.
If I had my motherfucking trailer I'd be able to go get my arcade machines and sell them for easily enough to buy it. They can't fit in the house so they are sitting in storage until the end of time :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To answer you guys I already put the tires up on CL for $400. Selling them tomorrow to someone who emailed (unless one of you local guys wants them for $300 for your own vehicle?). The guy is a surgeon so no weed smell in the car. Theres some dampness in the rear seat that I hope will dry out - no signs of a leak into the truck though. It is basically just going to be used in Vancouver as my DD, no plans on any big trips. I need to put the rotors + pads on still, worst rotor warping I've ever heard of or seen.

I think it got through aircare because I cleared the codes on the OBD2 unit so that nothing alerted them to check it. The sign at aircare says that if you have a 1998 (mine is a 96) vehicle with a CEL on it'll likely fail - I take this to mean that they only run a routine OBD scan of some sort on those years. I guess they run the scan on the older ones only if the CEL is on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nice - here, anything 96+ gets an ECU scan. Recent reset = LOL, any stored codes also = LOL.

You can pass with 2 "not readies" on 96+, but it takes a few miles for that to happen.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
General_Failure, I don't understand your situation. You're looking at trailers, though you claim to own one - is it far, far away? Or somehow completely (and expensively) unroadworthy? And you have a weird form of Automotive ADD (which I am also prone to) that involves rapid shifting between potential purchases, except all of yours seem to be Frankensteinian mash-ups. Oh well, I am entertained, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you eventually acquire.

VelociBacon, I think the GVRD aircare program has a general cutoff at 1998 - newer than that and you only need to test it every other year, older is every year. And the standards to hit are different, much more stringent for newer vehicles. Was there some change in emissions legislation (possibly in California, which seems to lead North America in that regard) for the 1998 model year? When I took my 1990 Grand Caravan in, back in the early '00s, they tested the gas cap and did a tailpipe sniff on a rolling road, holding it at 50km/h. No electronic readings that I saw, but my car was pre-ODBII so newer cars might have had a scanner reading. I assume if the tech had seen a CEL while running it on the rolling road, something would have happened.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Many states lump "early OBD2" (96-98) into a different category as 99+. 96+, in most states, gets an ECU scan if there's any emissions test, but may allow more room for error than 99+.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

Many states lump "early OBD2" (96-98) into a different category as 99+. 96+, in most states, gets an ECU scan if there's any emissions test, but may allow more room for error than 99+.

Yup. 96-'98 here, two not ready. 99+, one.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I swapped my winter wheel/tires on today. It's 61F and sunny. I didn't feel comfortable waiting any longer now that its December. I also found a nail in one of my summer tires. Time to take it in for the road hazard warranty. I can only assume that my warranty will keep declining with added mileage, despite the tires under warranty not actually being on the car.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
I did this. I happened to have 2" exhaust tube left over from my truck, and it happened to slide right in the muffler outlets...

They just attach with some screws, so no real commitment.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

They just attach with some screws, so no real commitment.

Paint it neon green. :colbert:

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
I had a can of Key Lime all queued up, but I hesitated. I was trying to show restraint.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

General_Failure, I don't understand your situation. You're looking at trailers, though you claim to own one - is it far, far away? Or somehow completely (and expensively) unroadworthy? And you have a weird form of Automotive ADD (which I am also prone to) that involves rapid shifting between potential purchases, except all of yours seem to be Frankensteinian mash-ups. Oh well, I am entertained, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you eventually acquire.

No. The trailer is not far away. It's literally 5 minutes away. It might as well be on the dark side of the moon though. For various reasons it's essentially been a permanent absentee. The only time it's been here is when it's unregistered / broken and a very brief period when it was neither. I mean like a week or two.

The situation changed again and now it has my brother in law's and family's stuff in it and they won't empty it out. It's horribly overloaded too which kind of makes me squirm.
Everything around the house is at a standstill because I need that trailer. Large rubbish needs to be gotten rid of like heaps of green waste, a fridge and various other things. There's a hole in the verandah and the bathroom door is ready to fall off because I can't get the wood I need to fix them. I have stuff stuck in storage 100km away that's costing $100/mo for the privilege of letting everything be destroyed by the salt that's risen up through the floor in there. Also missed out on some really useful things because of the lack of a way to get them home.

I have seriously considered cutting that trailer up into tiny pieces if I ever get it back, but it owes me way too much. Easily over $1000 in expenses and gently caress all use.
So yes I'm lovely about the whole thing.

Automotive ADD. Hmm... well I think it probably just applies in general to me. Besides I have a larger vehicular issue which can be tackled in multiple ways, so no one vehicle is a best match.
I can't scattergun the approach by getting multiples because it costs ~$1000/year to register a car.
As for them being mash ups. Only the commodore drivetrain patrol was. It's probably nothing worse than what I'd do to anything after getting my hands on it anyway.

Oh right, that BMC shorty bus I was considering. Is that what you were referring to? That's one of those "it's complicated" things.
Best way to explain it is this. I don't have a job because of commitments at home that make "normal" work impossible. Otherwise I do keep getting offered really good jobs that I can't take and it sucks so I'm stuck. Being able to make / sell things at markets or many various other mobile fitouts would be possible. I'm what is called multi-skilled so it really depends on what there is a need for.

So here I am trying to sell off what I own except for my tools, some old keepsakes and a couple fo my vintage computers to have the cash to buy one of the many, many dirt cheap vehicles out there which fall under some basic category. The owner can't afford to re-register it. The car is broken and has a simple fix but a mechanic quoted them something north of the national debt so they are selling it, or the car broke so they just used it as an excuse to get a new one.

The overheads of registering a car makes for some half decent cheap unregistered ones. But sadly it would seem I'm a worthless individual and the cost of cheap cars has been creeping up over the past couple of months at the same rate which I've been putting money away. Perhaps it has to do with xmaspocalypse 2012.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I had a can of Key Lime all queued up, but I hesitated. I was trying to show restraint.

:colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

General_Failure posted:

No. The trailer is not far away. It's literally 5 minutes away. It might as well be on the dark side of the moon though. For various reasons it's essentially been a permanent absentee. The only time it's been here is when it's unregistered / broken and a very brief period when it was neither. I mean like a week or two.

The situation changed again and now it has my brother in law's and family's stuff in it and they won't empty it out. It's horribly overloaded too which kind of makes me squirm.
Everything around the house is at a standstill because I need that trailer. Large rubbish needs to be gotten rid of like heaps of green waste, a fridge and various other things. There's a hole in the verandah and the bathroom door is ready to fall off because I can't get the wood I need to fix them. I have stuff stuck in storage 100km away that's costing $100/mo for the privilege of letting everything be destroyed by the salt that's risen up through the floor in there. Also missed out on some really useful things because of the lack of a way to get them home.

I have seriously considered cutting that trailer up into tiny pieces if I ever get it back, but it owes me way too much. Easily over $1000 in expenses and gently caress all use.
So yes I'm lovely about the whole thing.

Automotive ADD. Hmm... well I think it probably just applies in general to me. Besides I have a larger vehicular issue which can be tackled in multiple ways, so no one vehicle is a best match.
I can't scattergun the approach by getting multiples because it costs ~$1000/year to register a car.
As for them being mash ups. Only the commodore drivetrain patrol was. It's probably nothing worse than what I'd do to anything after getting my hands on it anyway.

Oh right, that BMC shorty bus I was considering. Is that what you were referring to? That's one of those "it's complicated" things.
Best way to explain it is this. I don't have a job because of commitments at home that make "normal" work impossible. Otherwise I do keep getting offered really good jobs that I can't take and it sucks so I'm stuck. Being able to make / sell things at markets or many various other mobile fitouts would be possible. I'm what is called multi-skilled so it really depends on what there is a need for.

So here I am trying to sell off what I own except for my tools, some old keepsakes and a couple fo my vintage computers to have the cash to buy one of the many, many dirt cheap vehicles out there which fall under some basic category. The owner can't afford to re-register it. The car is broken and has a simple fix but a mechanic quoted them something north of the national debt so they are selling it, or the car broke so they just used it as an excuse to get a new one.

The overheads of registering a car makes for some half decent cheap unregistered ones. But sadly it would seem I'm a worthless individual and the cost of cheap cars has been creeping up over the past couple of months at the same rate which I've been putting money away. Perhaps it has to do with xmaspocalypse 2012.

See, in my family, it goes "You either have all your poo poo out of my trailer by the time I get there or it will be in the yard as I'm leaving"

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

See, in my family, it goes "You either have all your poo poo out of my trailer by the time I get there or it will be in the yard as I'm leaving"

That would probably be like playing with nitroglycerin in this circumstance. I'm not usually one to put up with things but I do know when casualties will outweigh the victory. It is a very complex and unusual situation. At the end of it I just want a trailer or some way of hauling things.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If they can't gently caress up your living or work situation, just dump their poo poo in the yard and get on with it.

Also, sever.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I met up with the guy whose truck I bought to do the insurance/registration paperwork. He gave me back $100 after the sale, and I sold the tires that were in the truck (turns out the tires had been used for a season) for $240. This brings the total cost of my R50 pathfinder to $460 :woop:

To do this week: Rotors/pads, clean the poo poo out of the truck, and figure out how to dry a damp area in the carpet in the rear seat. Anyone have any ideas? I live in Vancouver and the car is parked outside, meaning I can't leave the windows down at all overnight. Would leaving baking soda open near the wet area help at all? I can't leave a heater in it overnight due to logistics.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Getting ready to pull the transmission on my M3. Removed exhaust/driveshaft/shifter so far.

Unbelivable how easy it was to get all the bolts out. First time doing major work on a rustfree car.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 2, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
A miracle occurred! The trailer came back! Sadly it's a few days too late for me to go get some of my stuff from storage to flog off to buy a diesel '93 disco. Only $1000 and nobody is buying it. Aiiieee!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Wow, sorry to hear it, man. Here's hoping at least a few of the many, many things get sorted soon. I hope I didn't raise your blood pressure too high by asking.

General_Failure posted:

A miracle occurred! The trailer came back! Sadly it's a few days too late for me to go get some of my stuff from storage to flog off to buy a diesel '93 disco. Only $1000 and nobody is buying it. Aiiieee!
A christmas miracle! Huzzah!

Did one of your trailer-overloading relatives read this thread?

EDIT:

VelociBacon posted:

To do this week: Rotors/pads, clean the poo poo out of the truck, and figure out how to dry a damp area in the carpet in the rear seat. Anyone have any ideas? I live in Vancouver and the car is parked outside, meaning I can't leave the windows down at all overnight. Would leaving baking soda open near the wet area help at all? I can't leave a heater in it overnight due to logistics.
Baking soda would help, yes. Heat is much more effective, though. Do you have any friends / relatives / coworkers / whatever you could mooch off of? All you need is an exterior electrical outlet (so anybody with a house should be able to hook you up), a long-enough extension cord, and a little ceramic heater. Can you park it on the street in front of a friend's house outside of downtown Vancouver to do this?
Or, I suppose you could crouch in the back seat with a hair blowdrier for half an hour or so, if you can't leave the truck alone with a window cracked open. Whatever you do, things will go much quicker if you can lift that carpet up - you should be able to mop up a lot of the water with a towel from the metal underneath.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 2, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Wow, sorry to hear it, man. Here's hoping at least a few of the many, many things get sorted soon. I hope I didn't raise your blood pressure too high by asking.

A christmas miracle! Huzzah!

Did one of your trailer-overloading relatives read this thread?

Not at all. And I doubt anyone read it. It was a complicated situation. Just as I read your comment I looked out the window to see it was still there and to my dismay saw the backyard strewn with rubbish which I had collected up yesterday sorting through old boxes from previous house moves. Not happy. Worst thing is I used the last of the rubbish bags. Better start cleaning it up regardless.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Nothing.

The power has been out for over two hours, it's pissing down like no tomorrow. I want to replace the cabin filter and tear into the dimmer switch in the NG900, but being that I have no heat and inadequate light, I'm just sitting here on my battery backup. :emo:

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Man, BMW power seats must've been nice when they were new, but 15 years on and they can eat my rear end.

I've got the infamous "BMW twisted seat back". I think the gear boxes are okay, but the flex cables aren't engaging.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fixed the blend door on my POS cherokee after being pissed at it for an entire year. It was a $5 cable I grabbed at the junkyard. I wish I'd realized that, oh, forever ago.

The actual reason it failed is that the eye on the blend door end got so full of coolant from a pinhole leak in the heater core that it seized and bent the cable, and I still haven't replaced the heater core because it takes 10 hours of work to remove and reinstall everything on top of it, so I still don't have heat. But at least I know the door itself isn't hosed up.

One of these days I'll feel like spending an entire day replacing a $50 part, then I'll have heat again. For now the heater core is bypassed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Went and got a quote for a refill on the aircon. Probably about $320. Apparently the carbon tax has put the cost of r134a through the roof.

So... does anyone know about importing kit / refrigerant? The former seems easy enough but shipping aerosols may be another matter entirely.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Thats what my headlights looked like this morning. This is what they look like now:

And yeah, the front bumper is held on to the passenger side with duct tape, thanks to a raccoon running front of me and being big enough to break the little tab... things that held the panel on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
It was yesterday but it still counts; I replaced the door lock and window regulator while it was just pissing rain outside. Stopped raining as I finished up, thanks Washington weather. My motivation (or madness) for this fix in the middle of a rainstorm is because I wanted to roll down my window and get my road rage on at some bloke earlier and couldn't with my broken regulator :(