Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wasabi the J posted:

Be advised that browns kinda feel like gritty reds; I ended up not liking them because the "bump" they talk about feels like a big grain of sand and doesn't match the actuation point.

YMMV some people really like browns and clears.

Huh, yeah, I really like browns. I feel like blues are similar, just wilfully noisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's a nice keyboard using MX Browns that I can buy in the UK? Don't need LEDs or anything, I want it for work so something professional looking. Tenkeyless would be fine but not required.

Edit: What about this thing?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/QPAD-MK-50-Gaming-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B006L3S4OO

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tunga posted:

What's a nice keyboard using MX Browns that I can buy in the UK? Don't need LEDs or anything, I want it for work so something professional looking. Tenkeyless would be fine but not required.

Edit: What about this thing?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/QPAD-MK-50-Gaming-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B006L3S4OO

Bear in mind, The Keyboard Company: http://www.keyboardco.com/

Is UK based, and they have pretty much whatever you want

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh hey, that's identical to the generic board that Monoprice is selling for under $60 US. (Reference the unused accessory knockouts on the back, it just has a different top shell.) That's an iOne OEM product, and all you can really say is that it's a keyboard with mechanical switches.

It looks like Cooler Master stuff is only 10-15 pounds more on amazon.uk, so I'd say only buy that qpad if you're price sensitive. As HalloKitty said you have a good local source for Filco boards on the other end of the price scale. CM doesn't do the UK layout though, so I don't know if there's a good option for UK between that Qpad and a Filco.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Part of me wants to get a blue keyboard for the office just to be noisy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

El Scotch posted:

Part of me wants to get a blue keyboard for the office just to be noisy.

If I got a mechanical office keyboard it would be blues too since I'm right up against tech support and they're loud and talkative every time they aren't on a call.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Keyboard Megathread - Coworker Griefing Station

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I won't lie: That's a big reason I bought a second mechanical keyboard.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Do they make something like the Microsoft ergonomic 4000 with mechanical key switches (negative rise, tented, split layout) that doesn't have some wacky non-standard layout?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ZShakespeare posted:

Do they make something like the Microsoft ergonomic 4000 with mechanical key switches (negative rise, tented, split layout) that doesn't have some wacky non-standard layout?
1. The ergodox. Fully split, layout is normal for the qwerty keys but non-standard for positioning of some other keys. Comes as a kit, so you either have to solder & assemble it yourself or pay a guy on a forum somewhere to make it for you.

2. This thing. It's really expensive, and the way the keys are aligned is different from normal or even a "standard" split keyboard, even though they're all the same placement relative to each other. See this review. Super-expensive, and there was some shadyness at first where they held people's money for years before the thing was in production. But keyboardco has them in stock so they're not vapor anymore.

I don't think it's possible to make a "humped" keyboard with mech switches like the MS ergo keyboards. Or if you could it would need the plate that backs the switches to be curved as well. Not economically possible unless you're going to produce a huge number of them.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Klyith posted:

2. This thing. It's really expensive, and the way the keys are aligned is different from normal or even a "standard" split keyboard, even though they're all the same placement relative to each other. See this review. Super-expensive, and there was some shadyness at first where they held people's money for years before the thing was in production. But keyboardco has them in stock so they're not vapor anymore.

This is almost certainly in my future assuming I can find one for sale. Prioritized above any other fanciful purchases, that might actually do something good for my wrists, I have some lateral tendonitis (not carpal tunnel but related in terms of typing) and that looks like it would be incredibly comfortable to type on once I've learned the peculiar layout.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Agreed posted:

This is almost certainly in my future assuming I can find one for sale. Prioritized above any other fanciful purchases, that might actually do something good for my wrists, I have some lateral tendonitis (not carpal tunnel but related in terms of typing) and that looks like it would be incredibly comfortable to type on once I've learned the peculiar layout.

One of my co-workers got when when they first where coming out. Since there were a bunch of us who where keyboard nerds he let us all mess around with it for a bit. For general typing it was fantastic and took very little time to get use to. The one issue we had was our jobs required lots of use of a number pad, but it looks like they have added a function to unlock one.

So if you have the cash and the need for that level of ergonomics I would say go for it.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
How are the topre keyboards from type heaven? From what I've read in the past topre switches seemed to be hailed the "rolls-royce" of switches however this one (http://www.amazon.com/Topre-Type-Heaven-104-key-Keyboard/dp/B00DGJALYW/) seems surprisingly affordable compared to the $200+ Topre boards I've seen before (I always assumed they wernt affordable).

I just picked up a ducky shine with MX Blacks for gaming and its just "good" to me. Is this worth trying out while I'm still within my return window? Primarily FPS gaming.

Vulcan fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 17, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Vulcan posted:

How are the topre keyboards from type heaven? From what I've read in the past topre switches seemed to be hailed the "rolls-royce" of switches however this one (http://www.amazon.com/Topre-Type-Heaven-104-key-Keyboard/dp/B00DGJALYW/) seems surprisingly affordable compared to the $200+ Topre boards I've seen before (I always assumed they wernt affordable).
The type heaven (it's a model, still made by the Topre company) has places where they cut back to make it cheaper, but only by comparison with the high-end Topre models. The case is a bit less solid, the keycaps are lasered ABS same as the caps that come with most non-backlit cherry boards, and they don't have dip switches to change functions.

It's also a lot less expensive than the Realforce because it uses all 45g switches. The Realforce has multiple weights (heavier in the middle, lighter on the pinky keys).

quote:

I just picked up a ducky shine with MX Blacks for gaming and its just "good" to me.
You were looking for a keyboard that was similar to a logitech with scissors, and you went for blacks? Welp.

So is it the stiffness you dislike, or the longer throw to press a key? If it's the heavy touch of the blacks, then the type heaven will be it's exact opposite in every way (45g switches are even lighter than reds). But a red or brown might be just as good for much cheaper.

What I'm wondering though is that, coming from a scissor board, you might have gotten to like the short throw distance of those keys. In that case there's nothing to do but go back to scissors or adapt to a new board. Topres are full-distance keys just like a cherry.

quote:

Primarily FPS gaming.
If you don't like the Ducky with blacks then by all means return it. But getting a Topre board for FPS gaming sounds... unnecessary.

(I've never understood why mech keyboards have become "gamer" products. I'm not a pro MLG gamer in any way, but after switching from a mediocre scissor to mechanical I'd say games are my least improved activity. The old keyboard wasn't the problem.)

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
edit: Just to clarify, it's not variable based on letter frequency, it's by finger strength with hands in home position. Strongest point & middle, medium ring, lightest pinky & modifiers. (And if they were done by frequency, the distribution would be really different since they're made in Japan!)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 17, 2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Vulcan posted:

I just picked up a ducky shine with MX Blacks for gaming and its just "good" to me. Is this worth trying out while I'm still within my return window? Primarily FPS gaming.
I've never tried a Torpe keyboard but I was tempted to get one from a local dealer the last time they offered on at a decent price, but my holdup was the models they had available had variable weighting on the keys based on the frequency of use when typing. For a keyboard that was going to be used for a mix of gaming as well as typing/programming this didn't seem ideal - I didn't want different movement keys to feel different just because one happened to be a vowel, for example.

I don't know though if the Torpe Heaven is one of those models or not though; this is just a heads-up to make sure that if you're using this for gaming, make sure each key has even weighting.

Edit: Beat, and it seems the Torpe Heaven doesn't have that issue so disregard. :v:
Editx2: /\/\: Whoops, it seems I'm even more ignorant!
At least that helps justify my decision to go with a Cherry switch keyboard instead of Torpe. I've got an unorthodox method of touch typing honed from experience rather than training that's only loosely based around the home keys (plus I'm prone to non-serious finger injuries and have to readjust), so it might feel odd when I'm using different fingers than expected to hit some of the keys.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 17, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Due to years playing FPS games, I pretty much type with two fingers on the left hand and one on the right. I literally have no idea how to use the homerow method. I have Topre variable weight keyboard and I don't have any issues at all with typing an absurd amount of words a day.

Despite using like three fingers total, I still do alright :smug:

It's also a joy to use in FPS games because of how smooth the action is.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

fookolt posted:

Due to years playing FPS games, I pretty much type with two fingers on the left hand and one on the right. I literally have no idea how to use the homerow method. I have Topre variable weight keyboard and I don't have any issues at all with typing an absurd amount of words a day.

Pretty sure idiosyncratic typists actually aren't any slower than home row typists - I can usually nail at least 110-120 wpm, some tests closer to 140 or 150, and I use all of the fingers on my left hand but only a couple on my right hand, and usually just the middle finger and occasionally the index finger for brackets etc. and pinky for shift. I still think an ergonomically weighted keyboard would make typing more comfortable, don't feel it's necessarily limited to home row typists. Same deal with the ergo keyboards - the big deal there is just positioning the wrists in a much better way, what I then do with them isn't as important as the basic fact that I could probably avoid making some tendonitis issues I have worse. I already do what I can but it's only so much, y'know?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone tried the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard yet? It looks pretty promising - a split design like the previous MS natural keyboards, a separate numpad, and chiclet-style keys. If the keys are anything like a ThinkPad keyboard, that's all I could really want in a keyboard.

On the minus side, the shrunken function keys seem unnecessary, and I'm not sure I like the layout of the right side of the keyboard. Yet Another Non-Standard Layout for the Pg/Home/End keys would probably take some getting used to, although I suppose the keys are closer than usual. I suspect I might end up pressing insert by accident a lot.

So far I only see one Canadian retailer with stock (nowhere near me), and they're only selling the bundle with the weird lumpy mouse that I have no interest in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fookolt posted:

I love Topre so much, but I don't type that well. :negative:

Keyboard related humor from imgur

Edit: tables

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 17, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I love Topre so much, but I don't type that well. :negative:

Keyboard related humor from imgur

He cleary found out one ultra-irritating thing about most cheap keyboards - F and J are rotated underneath, so you can't actually swap them with other letters without them.. you know, being sideways. Hence the drop to two lines.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

eXXon posted:

Anyone tried the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard yet? It looks pretty promising - a split design like the previous MS natural keyboards, a separate numpad, and chiclet-style keys. If the keys are anything like a ThinkPad keyboard, that's all I could really want in a keyboard.

On the minus side, the shrunken function keys seem unnecessary, and I'm not sure I like the layout of the right side of the keyboard. Yet Another Non-Standard Layout for the Pg/Home/End keys would probably take some getting used to, although I suppose the keys are closer than usual. I suspect I might end up pressing insert by accident a lot.

So far I only see one Canadian retailer with stock (nowhere near me), and they're only selling the bundle with the weird lumpy mouse that I have no interest in.

Where? I haven't been able to find one.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

Where? I haven't been able to find one.

MemoryExpress has stock online and in store, but no stores in Ontario, unfortunately. I haven't found it in stock anywhere else yet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Agreed posted:

Their standard lineup is really affordable for specialty mech keyboards, what's the catch? God drat it I'm going to end up with, of all things, a keyboard collection by the time this is over, I can feel it starting :stare:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

(Give in.. You won't be happy until you've tried a board based around all kinds of switches, and go help you if you go down the alps rabbit hole of finding a perfect example of one of those guys...)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My K70 has been delivered, and I won't be able to see it for another four hours. I think I'll bring my barely-working Blackwidow into work and drive everyone nuts with the loud keys and the inevitable fist slam when it stops registering keystrokes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
As long as we are giving shipment status updates: my KBtalKing Pro Value Edition is at the post office right now waiting for me to pick it up!

Can't wait to see how it performs with my iPad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
K70 is great. I was wary of the build quality but my old Blackwidow cries in comparison. Kinda still used to blues but I don't hate the reds. Pretty happy with it!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

Just posted a bit earlier in the thread, but there's a recent 4000-shaped board from Microsoft with scissor-switches, still no perfect 4000 clone with regular mechanical switches. I might get one eventually, same shape with crisper key action and a space in the middle to put some mousing implement.

eXXon posted:

Try Amazon, their USA site has the non-retail Keyboard and numpad sans mouse go for $70 and this review seems pretty comprehensive.

Looks like the expensive desktop bundle is coded L5V-00001 and the cheaper mouseless keyboard/numpad package is coded 5KV-00001

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bucket Joneses posted:

As long as we are giving shipment status updates:

... My Leopold FC660C is somewhere in the military postal system. :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Immediate thoughts on the KBT Pro Value Edition: What the hell are these keys supposed to do?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

They're timers. The noodle one goes from one to 15 minutes in one minute increments. The muscle button turns the keyboard off for ten minutes every hour to remind you to get up and stretch.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I just figured that out from the minimal instructions in the box.

It's sort of useful I guess? It notifies you that the timer is complete by blinking the light on the caps lock key. I don't look down at my keyboard all that often so an actual tone would be nice (if the kb is even capable of producing tones).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bucket Joneses posted:

Yeah I just figured that out from the minimal instructions in the box.

It's sort of useful I guess? It notifies you that the timer is complete by blinking the light on the caps lock key. I don't look down at my keyboard all that often so an actual tone would be nice (if the kb is even capable of producing tones).

Check out the Tutorial on their website, it looks pretty complete. I don't see anything about a tone option, however:
http://kbtalkingusa.com/kbtalking-pro-tutorial/

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Internet Friend posted:

They're timers. The noodle one goes from one to 15 minutes in one minute increments. The muscle button turns the keyboard off for ten minutes every hour to remind you to get up and stretch.

I just looked at that tutorial, and what the gently caress you're actually serious :staredog:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Check out the Tutorial on their website, it looks pretty complete. I don't see anything about a tone option, however:
http://kbtalkingusa.com/kbtalking-pro-tutorial/

Oh for some reason I didn't see that link on their site. Thanks for that!

I've got it configured to connect to my ipad and my pc. It seems to switch between devices fairly quickly.

Interesting to note that when you plug it into an iDevice using the USB dongle from Apple, iOS will tell you that the device isn't supported but it will work perfectly in apps (tested in Prompt).

I really like the feel and sound of browns. I don't notice the "grain of sand" feel that other posters described. I guess I'll be able to form a better opinion of the nuances of the switch when the KBT Pure Pro (reds) I ordered shows up at the end of the month.

EDIT: I figured out how the timer gets your attention. When it goes off, it literally disables all the keys until you acknowledge the timer. I'm down with this method.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 20, 2013

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Apologies for not reading all of this thread, but it's long.

My MX5500 keyboard is about to die. The rubberized palm rest is deteriorating after years sitting on my desk in the sun and is now a sticky gross mess. The mouse died a long time ago and was replaced with a Performance MX which I love to death (because it has a USB cable charger and charges while being useful). I will never go back to anything that has a charging terminal, like the original MX5500 mouse.

Features of the keyboard that I want in a replacement are: numpad, wireless, OSD with clock (it's the only clock on my desk), media keys, full size depression or whatever that's called (i.e not laptop style). I'm not too fussed about mechanical. The built in calculator is neat and does get used too. Beyond that I'm flexible.

What are my options? A quick look at logitech website and newegg says they don't have anything at all like that. Are there any other products to look at?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Postal posted:

Apologies for not reading all of this thread, but it's long.

My MX5500 keyboard is about to die. The rubberized palm rest is deteriorating after years sitting on my desk in the sun and is now a sticky gross mess. The mouse died a long time ago and was replaced with a Performance MX which I love to death (because it has a USB cable charger and charges while being useful). I will never go back to anything that has a charging terminal, like the original MX5500 mouse.

Features of the keyboard that I want in a replacement are: numpad, wireless, OSD with clock (it's the only clock on my desk), media keys, full size depression or whatever that's called (i.e not laptop style). I'm not too fussed about mechanical. The built in calculator is neat and does get used too. Beyond that I'm flexible.

What are my options? A quick look at logitech website and newegg says they don't have anything at all like that. Are there any other products to look at?

Literally nothing I can see has those options.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Captain Postal posted:

What are my options?

+

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Dang. I bet none of those keyboards have a thermometer or a key-stroke counter either :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I got the Leopold FC660C today! Gallery here. Incoming :spergin:

Feels really solid. I like the uniform key weight over the graduated keys (30-35g at the pinkies, 45-50 at the pointers) of the Realforce. I feel it's very similar to my old HHKB Pro. The keyboard comes in standard ANSI layout, so the keys out of the box are laid out in the familiar pattern; the differences between the pic and your standard board are due to me moving keys around.

Dip switches to reassign key functions like the position of the Fn/Windows keys, and Caps Lock/Control. I personally like the feel of Caps Lock and Ctrl being swapped, and I use the FN key more than I'll use the Win key, so they're swapped too.

The risers have rubber all the way around, so it feels super planted, even when they're extended. That makes a huge difference over a lot of boards, that kinda work their way back over time.

Smaller than most tenkeyless keyboards, even the CMStorm Quickfire.

Doesn't come with a whole lot; I didn't use the included cable. I opted for a more fancy and easier to store Accell Flat mini-B cable. The Caps Lock and Ctrl keys shown here are actually from the board. I put the included ones on, for the aforementioned Ctrl/Caps swap.

Looks like they'll be doing a white and non-print version eventually, if you're a masochist.

The key caps are a little thinner than most, but it's just about as non-clattery as most Topre boards. I don't mind a tiny bit of extra noise, anyway. Super happy with this board. Standard Topre keycaps fit, but the spacebar row is hosed up in lengths, so those would stay the same. The keys are laser etched; some people are really pedantic about this, but I can't even feel the etching unless I'm trying to.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

... um, does that thing seriously not have any home/end pg up/down keys?

• Locked thread