Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This isn't really journalism, but I loved this letter to the editor:

quote:

Was anyone else appalled by the unsportsmanlike conduct of the Seattle Seahawks and their fans, juiced on noise, which surely creates as big an advantage over an opponent as any performance enhancing drug and which, to their shame, NFL officials turn the same blind eye they have to concussions and drugs ("Seattle states case loudly, clearly in rout," Sports, Sept. 16)?

It would be simple to fix. Seahawks players and managers would ask their fans to cease and desist, and the NFL would implement a new rule: The visiting team may stop the game when fan noise is greater than a specified decibel level, and should this rule be violated in more than three games, no home games will be played at the offending field for the rest of the season, including playoff games. Things would quiet down.

At a time when the world seems sour, sports give us a place of joy, community and hope, and to have it spoiled is a bigger loss than it seems on the surface.

Judy Spelman, Rich Schiller,

Point Reyes Station

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/letterstoeditor/article/Letters-to-the-editor-Sept-17-4819523.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Someone followed it up:

quote:

I couldn’t agree more with “Unsportsmanlike conduct in Seattle” (Letters, Sept. 17).

It wasn’t a game of skill anymore; it was an exhibition of excessive stadium noise, posturing obscenities in your opponent’s face to draw a foul and street-punk behavior to fire up tensions to gain any advantage to get the win.

I hope the NFL will listen before the fans go deaf. Please stop the excessive stadium noise, and just play football.

Ellen Gust, Palo Alto

It's so retarded and these are the type of people who have more time than sense.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I read both of those very sarcastically.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Point Reyes Station is all old white people. The Palo Alto one may have been in jest, but I can assure you Point Reyes Station is devoid of the wit necessary to write that in jest.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Point Reyes Station is all old white people. The Palo Alto one may have been in jest, but I can assure you Point Reyes Station is devoid of the wit necessary to write that in jest.

Is it not possible that whoever wrote it just put in Point Reyes Station because everyone knows its full of old people?

On the other hand, "letters to the editor" sections are almost always full of completely out of touch old people regardless of the topic, so its entirely possible that this is genuine.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

The B_36 posted:

Is it not possible that whoever wrote it just put in Point Reyes Station because everyone knows its full of old people?

On the other hand, "letters to the editor" sections are almost always full of completely out of touch old people regardless of the topic, so its entirely possible that this is genuine.

Yeah, why would someone with wit and/or sense write a letter to the editor anyway? :just blog it:

e: oh right blogs are old fashioned now :just tweet it:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's all about snail mail these days, get with the times.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Mozi posted:

It's all about snail mail these days, get with the times.

I send carrier pigeons to voice my displeasure with the media

midwat
May 6, 2007

uublog posted:

Telegram, bro.

Mr. Reilly STOP Your columns are terrible poo poo STOP Please cease immediately END

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Remember the good old days when players didn't wear skirts and defenses could tackle and... oh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc9Eii21hyE

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

quote:

Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise.

:nyoron:

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
So the rule is just against the unruly Lion fans?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

uublog posted:

I sent a smoke signal to Rick Reilly.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Kalli posted:

Remember the good old days when players didn't wear skirts and defenses could tackle and... oh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc9Eii21hyE

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

:nyoron:

I knew I remembered this being enforced in an NFL game when I was younger, but everyone told me that no such penalty existed.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
God what a bullshit rule. This isn't golf. Also, I had no idea it existed until that post. Has it been called more recently?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

God what a bullshit rule. This isn't golf. Also, I had no idea it existed until that post. Has it been called more recently?
I don't think it's been a rule for a number of years. If it was, I'm pretty sure the Seahawks would have been hit over the head with it multiple times in their game against the 49ers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It apparently was removed in 2007, but is still on their summary of penalties page now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

Golf and tennis would be greatly improved by screaming fans.

Also there would be snipers strategically scattered about to pick off anyone that yells "get in the hole" at golf.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sash! posted:

Golf and tennis would be greatly improved by screaming fans.

Also there would be snipers strategically scattered about to pick off anyone that yells "get in the hole" at golf.
There's no problem with constant noise. The problem is silence randomly interrupted by sound. If the same thing happened when a baseball player was trying to hit or quarterback trying to throw or a kicker trying to make a field goal or a basketball player trying to shoot a free throw, they'd all gently caress up too.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Josh Lyman posted:

There's no problem with constant noise. The problem is silence randomly interrupted by sound. If the same thing happened when a baseball player was trying to hit or quarterback trying to throw or a kicker trying to make a field goal or a basketball player trying to shoot a free throw, they'd all gently caress up too.

Some basketball team really should try to get their fans to do this for opponent free throws.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Some basketball team really should try to get their fans to do this for opponent free throws.
Unfortunately, people are stupid and think that waving poo poo around and yelling will be distracting, ignoring the evolutionary capacity of humans to filter out white noise.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Unfortunately, people are stupid and think that waving poo poo around and yelling will be distracting, ignoring the evolutionary capacity of humans to filter out white noise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's the opposite of white noise :colbert:

(also that's literally white noise)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Look at this person in need of a serious rear end kicking:

quote:

To the great people of Cleveland: Look, you gave us Harvey Pekar, and apparently you’ve got a world-class orchestra. But facts are facts, and since your city is, even now, synonymous with Akron-born LeBron James, let’s look at the curse of Cleveland sports from his perspective. Between the Browns, the Indians, and the Cavaliers, Cleveland last celebrated a title four years before LeBron’s mother was born—that’s a combined 152 seasons of futility. James ditched the Cavs not because he was the Whore of Akron but because he was the Oracle of Ohio. In his formative years, he witnessed Cleveland teams su≠er The Drive (John Elway beating the Browns in 1987), The Fumble (Earnest Byner sabotaging the Browns in 1988), The Shot (Michael Jordan murdering the Cavs in 1989), and then The Move, when Art Modell decided Cleveland was such a hole he’d rather field his team in Baltimore. [b[James surely knew that if he stayed in Ohio, some kind of ridiculous fate would befall him—The Hangnail, The Cramp, or maybe The Aneurysm. Hence: The Decision.[/b[

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/sports/201310/worst-sports-franchises-teams-of-all-time#ixzz2g0iRpEcd

Yeah way to ignore the Browns 8 NFL titles, dickwad.

The whole :smug: ness in this post is unmatched.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Reilly is doubling down on that lovely Redskins column

http://espn.go.com/blog/rick-reilly-go-fish/post/_/id/1272/rick-reilly-mailbag-sept-25-2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's usually the next step before the corprorate-mandated backpedal

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bomani Jones used his 30 seconds of face time on ATH Tuesday to do a take on this (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9718439 just jump to the last minute), by comparing it to how Washington just handled Hispanic heritage week.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

This just means he's like every other non-Browns fan on earth.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

This just means he's like every other non-Browns fan on earth.

And I don't know what you're expecting from a slideshow titled The 20 Worst Sports Franchises of All Time, anyway.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

morestuff posted:

And I don't know what you're expecting from a slideshow titled The 20 Worst Sports Franchises of All Time, anyway.

The Post: the latest embarrassment in Cleveland.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

FuzzySkinner posted:

Look at this person in need of a serious rear end kicking:

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/sports/201310/worst-sports-franchises-teams-of-all-time#ixzz2g0iRpEcd

The Toronto Maple Leafs won 13 Stanley Cups, but that was fifty years ago (like the Browns' titles) and they've been loving awful for most of the interim (like the Browns).

quote:

The whole :smug: ness in this post is unmatched.
Well, yeah, it's a GQ article.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Moe_Rahn posted:

Well, yeah, it's a GQ article.

I expect only the most reasonable and articulated columns from my frothy passive-aggressively macho alterna-hetero rags.

Seriously though the purpose of that column is to drag attention from readers who don't normally read GQ. Its the opinion of a person who probably knows sports but isnt at all familiar with the sports writing world. Mission accomplished.

We could probably say the same about Reilly's role at ESPN, since I think their readership is down and he seems to be trolling these days.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one on earth cares about professional football titles pre-Super Bowl except for Browns and Lions fans.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is just something I've always seemed to wonder about, but it seems like the NFL, out of all the original sports, is least concerned with it's own history. As far as they're concerned, if it was in the pre-SB era, it didn't happen. The early history of pro football in the US is actually real interesting, so this is just another thing to add to my "I hate the NFL" pile, but, hey.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is just something I've always seemed to wonder about, but it seems like the NFL, out of all the original sports, is least concerned with it's own history. As far as they're concerned, if it was in the pre-SB era, it didn't happen. The early history of pro football in the US is actually real interesting, so this is just another thing to add to my "I hate the NFL" pile, but, hey.

I think the NFL is extremely concerned with branding itself as a National Event, so anything that might distract from the glorious uniqueness of the Super Bowl is cast aside. The Super Bowl is a two-week party for corporations followed by a night where everyone in the world can watch several hours of commercials, not just the name for the 50ish most recent NFL championship games.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Major League Baseball does this too for the pre World Series era. In both cases there was a real expansion on the competitiveness and professionalism of professional football/baseball that occurred before and through the transition. Professional football wasn't the premier football league in the US until at least the mid to late 50's. Professional football was a dirty place for ex college players to keep on playing. Super Bowl l is a decent demarcation of the "Modern Era" for professional football although the change probably happened in the 10 years before.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

MourningView posted:

No one on earth cares about professional football titles pre-Super Bowl except for Browns and Lions fans.

I care :colbert:

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

MourningView posted:

Eagles fans, too.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

MourningView posted:

And only the most insecure Browns fans do anyway.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It's really Bears and Packers fans who care. Lions fans are well-acquainted with failure and know how pathetic it is to bring up titles won before Barack Obama was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

No matter how many times I try I can't bring myself to finish reading this thing.