Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.
Was she acting up before you got Gooblin his own cage and set it next to your desk?

EDIT: Here's Chuffy riding a spaceship.

Boodge Bum fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My little zebra finch over in the UK died yesterday. He was a few weeks short of 11 years old. It will be weird not hearing him singing when I go visit :unsmith:

uglynoodles: Is she clipped?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
11 years old? Little dude had a pretty full life at least since 14 is the record. :yaycloud:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

His Dad was 14 years old when he died, according to the year on his little leg band-not that there's any way to prove that or know for sure. His sibling made it to 8 years, as did his Mum. :3:

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

uglynoodles posted:

Vent ahead.

I'm at a loss with Iro. For the past few weeks she's been insanely aggressive at me for no reason. She's ripped open my ear, my arm and my hand so that I bleed -- sometimes flying over to me to hurt me. I'm loving sick of it. I'm under so much stress and pressure from university as the year draws to a close and I just don't need her being yet another source of aggro. I especially don't need her ripping open my drawing hand for DARING to set up her perch so she could come out.

She's still fine with my boyfriend, but won't let me near her. She's been great with us both for ages, but has just in these past weeks decided that I need to be murdered without cause or warning, but she still screams her stupid fool head off if I leave the room. She still tries to play call-and-respond games with me and still greets me with 'hello!' But any time I even look as if I'm approaching the cage she scrambles around in a murderous fury, snapping at the bars and trying to force her head through to make vain grabs at my flesh. They aren't just nips or even hard nips either, they are full on grab, lock, rip and tear. I am left bleeding and sometimes with small chunks out of me. She's just a GCC so she's biting with literally all her force to do this.

I don't loving need this. I have so much poo poo to do for university, and Goblin died, the sweetest bird ever, and now she's being such a bitch that I find myself having vivid rage fantasies of beating the poo poo out of her or rehoming her which I feel incredibly bad for even thinking about. I'd never hurt her of course but holy poo poo I find myself wanting to these days as I am finding it really hard to hold my tablet pen and get my loving work done.

I just had her on my hands as normal one day, she crawled up to my shoulder like normal as I was making some tea. She then just clamped her beak on my ear so hard it punctured, and the bullshit has not stopped since then. She's thrown me into several full blown panic attacks with all the poo poo that's happening.

She was being a shithead since before he died, and never knew or liked him anyway so I don't think that's what's wrong.
I obviously interact with her less now since she's started hurting me. I used to trust her a lot but not anymore. I kind of just want to punch her when I see her straining to bite me.

I don't know what to do. I can't afford to keep trying to offer her my hand when she's like this. I need my hands to work.

Every time she's a shithead to me she goes (sometimes unceremoniously) back in the cage and gets ignored for a period of time by both of us after a stern 'NO BITING.'

It isn't working. If she keeps this up she has to go somewhere else.

My GCC got pretty nasty with my boyfriend a couple of weeks ago, biting hard enough to draw blood and flying across the room just to attack him. He's in the middle of his puberty, and I'm pretty sure that plus spring was the cause.
What worked for us was to have me be the one to react when he bit the boyfriend. He was being extremely affectionate with me so whenever he would act aggressive to my boyfriend I'd say NO BITE, put him on the floor and walk away. I made a point to bring him close to my boyfriend frequently and at the first sign of aggression I put him down.
He got the message after a couple of days; he's still a little nippy with my boyfriend sometimes but I guess that's to be expected with all his hormones going crazy.

You said Iro is still fine with your boyfriend, maybe you could try having him be the one to dish out discipline? I know mine has also been showing a little cage aggression which is why I always put him on the floor, putting him back in the cage would probably just make him feel safer and stronger.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
My cockatiels went through two years of being antisocial, territorial, and bitey. They easily have the best room in the house, and the best view with a massive window facing a yard with trees at a comfortable height. When they bit, they got caged and I wheeled the cage into a corner.

They were born around the summer of 2007, and for the last few months it's the opposite. I lie down on the bed or couch and they fly over, walk around and all over me, and gnaw on the pillow I'm using and waddle around, or fly on the back of my chair and hang out. Even if I have a leg propped up, they might fly to it. I'm hoping it's the end of their puberty phase and they're mellowing out a little.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Looks like spring is getting to everyone's birds. Nugget has been trying her butt-wavey/clucky wooing on me the last couple weeks but I think she's over it finally. Gross bird I don't like you like that. :gonk:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka bit me so hard today blood spattered across my forearm. Excellent cuts on the tip of my right pointer finger, but they thankfully weren't too deep. He was incredibly sweet this afternoon, then when I was playing with his beak through the bars of his cage I thought he was just tasting my finger but he apparently was merely lining up the killing blow. I should know better as any bit of my body in his beak more often than not results in personal injury. He has been a bit nippy otherwise but not quite so committed to bites and also a bit extra squawky. What a grand fellow he is, cannot wait for his raging bird hormones to return him to a somewhat less bipolar state.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Uglynoodles, we had similar issues with Ritz, and all I can say is it's going to take a handful of time and patience. He was terrible from the point when we got him (6mo old) until he was about 2. He would bite us nonstop, draw blood, he punctured my ear lobes multiple times, chunks out of fingers, the whole nine yards. We got to the point where my girlfriend and I were fighting because he was so bad, it was really straining on both of us. We read everything on the internet, I asked here, then we read everything on the internet again. We tried putting him on the floor, putting him away, covering him, anything we could try we tried.

The one thing that worked for us somewhat was training him. We taught him to spin around, wave and shake. Whenever he started biting, we would put him back in his cage for a bit, then take him out again and do some tricks which would take his mind off his aggressiveness. He's really only gotten better within the last 6 months or so, and he still bites quite often, but it's not nearly as bad as before, rarely does he break skin if at all anymore. The biggest thing in his behavior modification was moving. After we moved, perhaps being in a different environment, who knows, but he's been wayyyy better since then. So perhaps you could try moving Iro's cage into another room or even playing in another room? Also, you could have your boyfriend interact with you with Iro out to see that you're not a terrible person. If all else fails, buy Iro with food!

It's definitely going to take time, but Iro liked you once, so that means that it's not a lost cause, don't let the bird-brain get the best of you!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Have you tried re-arranging Iro's cage setup?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

The problem I guess I'm having too is me; I'm kind of afraid -- when Iro attacks me like she does it does a great job of ramping up my anxiety. Just now she tried to shred my hand for daring to loving give her her food dish. I had to use the stand-up perch to keep her at bay while I put the dish under the door.
I think this evening I am going to clip her wings and gently caress up the arrangement of her cage. I doubt it'll do much but I just want my bird back and not this utter shitbag who I want to throw out the window. :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko acts like that towards my partner-I can reach in and take the dishes or touch toys etc fine, but Inko will try to go for anyone else who touches the cage. He used to act like that towards me too but time and bribery worked great. Some ideas:

-Increase the hours of darkness to 13, even 14 hours
-Clip her wings. Some may disagree, and I like having flighted parrots better too, but it's far better for both of you if you're not so afraid of her launching herself across the room at you. You'll also be able to put her down on the floor as a "punishment", and handle her easier with a stick/perch.
-Rearrange cage, possibly even move it elsewhere. GCCs seem to have a reputation for being a being cage territorial though
-Remove anything like Happy Huts or things that can be hid in or under
-Anything that gets masturbated on, gets removed or at least moved elsewhere
-Increase foraging and destroying opportunities. If she has any foraging toys that are easy to mid level that she knows how to use (and can be cleaned easily enough), consider putting her normal food in there. A foraging ball (could grab one for rabbits or rodents). Some plastic foraging toy you can buy. Or something like a box full of shredded paper, and put a nut or pellets in there. Attach toilet rolls to the sides of the cage with coffee stirrer sticks. Tie kitchen roll to the bars. Weave cardboard in and out of them. Etc. Just lots of things to keep her busy and occupied, or the option to.
-Bribery! My partner offers Inko a sunflower seed for going to a certain perch out of the way while grabbing the bowls. Usually the seed keeps his beak busy for long enough. You could use clicker training or combine it with a voice command to get her to eventually go to a spot before you even open the cage. Use a really high-value treat that she might not get elsewhere to help persuade her.
-Related to the above, more training! Keep her busy mentally. You can even do it while she's in the cage-praise her for making sounds you like, give her a seed whenever she makes a certain noise, then pair that with a command so she'll do it on command. Like Kiss :3:
-Get your boyfriend involved-get him to praise her for positive interactions with you, and to cut down on physical affection. You should give treats and good things, not him. If you do the terrible human things like clean the cage, he should do it for a while. Basically increase the good things you do for her, and offload the worst things on to him for a while. Does she see him as a mate, and you as a rival?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm curious now; how does bird puberty differ between girl and boy birds? Is it all/mostly anatomical or more behavioral, if it differs at all?

I double-checked the OP and didn't see it, apologies if I missed it.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Does she see him as a mate, and you as a rival?

When I first got her, she bonded to me and was aggressive with him, but as she got to know him, she settled down and was lovely with both of us.
She has never been aggressive to me before this. My biggest problem with her has always been her screaming for me when I leave the room -- For the longest time either he or I could take her out and play with her without a problem. She seemed to think both of us were her mates as she tried to have sex with both our necks equally but we nipped that in the bud months ago by moving her cage to a different location after Christmas. After that move, all her behaviours went back to being good, and she was great for months up till a couple weeks ago.

She has plenty of toys that get shifted around in and out and substituted for each other every now and then. She had a foraging wheel but it got destroyed. (lovely plastic fastener on the back.) The layout of her cage gets changed with every major clean. I give her bits of envelopes and junk mail to shred which she loves doing, especially if I give her orange or banana peel to rip apart too.

I'm going to clip her wings tonight. It will help my anxiety if I know she can't just fly up to my eyes or ignore the being put on the floor as punishment.

Thank you for your suggestions -- a lot of them I am doing already! But I think that can only be a good thing. :)

I moved her cage onto the coffee table for today just to see if a bit of a shift would help in behaviour and because I was sick of her straining at the bars to get me whenever I walked to the kitchen area to make food or tea. She's a lot quieter, burbling, and looking at me and lifting her foot, making 'pick me up' gestures. But if I go over, she tries to kill me again. Sigh.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 31, 2014

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Nthing the wing clipping. The moment Rufous realizes that her feathers have grown in she turns into a monster. Her most absolute very favorite move is to fly to your shoulder and then bite the back of your neck. She just can't help herself.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko had his first sink bath today! He seemed so loving happy at the discovery of running water :3:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
My bird Martin Scorsese has a sexual attraction to the collander and won't let me near it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That last picture looks like the world's most adorable stock photo. :kimchi:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah that is some excellent potato conure photography.

Can everyone please stop making conures look like the cutest birds ever, please. I already have a cockatoo, I do not, I repeat --not-- need another bird.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Fry has also become a giant bitey jerk. For the last two days he wants to do nothing but attack me. He wouldn't even step up out of his cage when I got home from school yesterday. He acted nice this morning and came out of his cage for snuggle/breakfast time and afterwards he started with the biting again. I tried setting him on the floor since he can't fly (only one wing has grown flight feathers back in), but he climbed the spokes of my wheelchair and hopped onto the bed. He's being sweet now, but I don't trust him very much right now.

I recently rearranged his cage and he seems to have no issue with that, but at bedtime last night he tried to attack me through the cage bars when I tried to shut the doors of his cage. He gets 12 hours of sleep each night with a cover that blacks out his cage. His routine is unchanged. He got new toys and perches when I cleaned his cage this weekend.

What happened to my sweet baby? I don't know if this is puberty. He's getting close to a year old, but no birdie masturbation seen. Just intense hate. The only person he loves more than me is my mom who normally visits weekly, but didn't come to visit last week. I feel like a big jerk to just leave him in his cage, but I'm unsure what to do. The only thing that makes him chill out seems to be bath time.

Help me bird crazies.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hormones are probably surging through his derpy little body now that spring has arrived. Amadeus is being a jerk too -- but the good news is he's about five years old and so his jerkiness is just being loud and nippy if I make him do something he doesn't want to. Fry and Iro will both chill out with age, don't worry! In the meanwhile zbeezy, try the suggestions that others have posted for uglynoodles. Having your little buddy turn into a raging rear end in a top hat sucks, but I promise it gets better. Ama was such an rear end in a top hat when he was ~18 months old that I truly loving hated him at times, but time and patience has mellowed him back into my best friend.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Is budgie puberty that bad? :ohdear:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Just chopped Iro's wings.
The stupid thing is, I go and return her to her spot. All the while she is biting at the cage trying to get at my hands holding the handles. I set her down. I decide that I am going to put on a pair of gloves and see what happens. She immediately starts soliciting my gloved hand for headrubs, giving love-nibbles and rubbing her stupid fool head all over my gloved fingers -- just like she used to with my uncovered hands.
I place my other, bare hand on the handle. MURDERTOWN. She lunges towards my hand snapping her beak. I replace it with my gloved hand, and her aggression instantly disappears. She looks up like 'Oh, where are we going?'
Just for empirical evidence I repeat the process twice more and the results are the same.

Iro loves me but only if I'm wearing gloves.

What the gently caress.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
:psyduck:

Have you changed hand soaps? (that wouldn't make sense, since I'm assuming your boyfriend uses the same stuff). Colored your nails? Stopped coloring your nails?

That is so strange.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Maybe that time you mentioned she climbed to your ear and bit it, starting this whole thing off, your hands were doing something she didn't like? Or they recently did something that pissed her off and she's "holding a grudge" (not literally, just as a description) against them?

Inko also seems to be okay with gloved hands and hate bare hands, but there was never a period (that we know of...) where he was cool with them.

Padje posted:

My bird Martin Scorsese has a sexual attraction to the collander and won't let me near it.

Your bird is adorable!

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

uglynoodles posted:

Just chopped Iro's wings.
The stupid thing is, I go and return her to her spot. All the while she is biting at the cage trying to get at my hands holding the handles. I set her down. I decide that I am going to put on a pair of gloves and see what happens. She immediately starts soliciting my gloved hand for headrubs, giving love-nibbles and rubbing her stupid fool head all over my gloved fingers -- just like she used to with my uncovered hands.
I place my other, bare hand on the handle. MURDERTOWN. She lunges towards my hand snapping her beak. I replace it with my gloved hand, and her aggression instantly disappears. She looks up like 'Oh, where are we going?'
Just for empirical evidence I repeat the process twice more and the results are the same.

Iro loves me but only if I'm wearing gloves.

What the gently caress.

I'm sorry your bird is broken, but not sorry enough to stop laughing.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

No hand soap changes. No nail paint. No changes at all -- my hands are the same as when I got her. I was making tea when the incident occurred, as I have done many times with her on me or nearby.

She has never seen gloves before, much less these gloves. I expected her to react with aggression. But apparently these make my evil hands not evil. When she was rubbing all over my gloved fingers it was really enthusiastic as if she'd missed me. She seems to know it is me wearing the gloves -- she always knows it's me if I put on a mask. I like costuming and have several; She's always completely unimpressed by masks and just says "That's nice,*" to me if I show her a new one.

"That's Nice" is what Iro has named me, presumably because I say that a lot when scratching her head. She says it to me when I get home or to get my attention when she's feeling polite.
My boyfriend is named "Yes" probably for similar reasons, but by far her favourite word is 'Hello.' Iro will hello everyone and everything. She is especially convinced that if she says hello to a cup of juice enough times it will fly into her beak unaided. This has never worked but it has also never stopped her from trying.

It leads to... conversations, and interjections by Iro. Sometimes when I have a shower I will walk past without clothes. This conversation occurred.
"Hello. That's nice," she said, and whistled obnoxiously.
"Iro, you are an abomination unto this Earth."
"Yes," she replied, waving around a bottlecap in her ridiculous hand-foot appendage.
"You're gross."
"Chuff!" She said enthusiastically.

We still don't know what chuff means or where it came from. We are pretty sure she made it up herself out of human sounds. She's very proud of it though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please start a webcomic about domestic life with a GCC, I will follow it religiously. :allears:

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Kenshin posted:

:psyduck:

Have you changed hand soaps? (that wouldn't make sense, since I'm assuming your boyfriend uses the same stuff). Colored your nails? Stopped coloring your nails?

That is so strange.

i painted my nails a light almost fleshtone color about 3 days ago after Fry went to bed. This might be my issue (and bird springtime puberty rear end in a top hat problems). I will remove the offending polish and try again. Oddly, he doesn't hate it when i paint my nails in blue or gold colors.

Fry's yelling at me to come get him right now and when i try to get him to step up he lunges for me with murderhate beak. Earlier I was able to get him out the cage and onto his playgym and he let me pick him up and set him in my lap. Then he climbed up my shirt to my shoulder only to nuzzle and fall asleep in my hair. I can't use a stick to pick him up because he thinks it's a bird killing device (probably because that's what my mom uses to remove him from her when he bites her for whatever reason)

On another note, I remember the things my mom did to deal with our quaker parrot that my family got when I was 12. It really upsets me, because she was downright abusive to that bird. If the bird bit her she would thump him with her fingers (like when you're flicking your middle finger off your thumb). She tried to do that to Fry and I flipped my poo poo. I wouldn't let her hurt him like that. When I was 12, I didn't know any better, there were no bird crazies to consult and I would've got the poo poo kicked out of me for trying to tell her different. I'm sorry Emmy. I never thumped you. :(

EDIT/UPDATE: removed nail polish and washed hands. Put on my normal lotion. Went back to see Fry. He came down to inspect my hands that I held out for him to see I had removed the offensive polish. He acted like he was about to snap at me, but I stood my ground and little rear end in a top hat stepped on up. He's no longer screaming and is watching tv in the living room with me.
He apparently just thinks corral/fleshtone nail polishes are not fashionable and that I should never ever wear them.

zbeezy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 2, 2014

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Please start a webcomic about domestic life with a GCC, I will follow it religiously. :allears:

Sure. Can do. I'll see if I can do a strip tomorrow.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
My bird is just broken. He went from sweet to gently caress you again after a few minutes in the living room on the play gym. I tried to play with him and he started lunging at me. I'm trying to stand my ground and be the boss and not act scared of him, but drat bird I don't want to be bitten just because I want to love on your tiny, hateful, feathery self.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's weird how hormone season kicks in for like everyone's birds at the same time. Charlie's been a little more difficult but not too bad while Archer has been using any excuse to bust out his new mating call. It's somehow even more anyone than last year's, which was car alarm.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm glad my three don't seem to be any different, aside from suddenly all deciding to molt at once. There are feathers everywhere. Inko is maybe a bit more vicious towards hands near the cage than usual? Scratches through the bars are still cool though. Steve is Steve, and Ohtori actually stopped trying to mate with his toys a few weeks ago and hasn't bothered since.

Maybe it's to make up for not being cuddly like the other conures-Ohtori hasn't had an aggressive period since the first few weeks he was here, not even during puberty. He's my Good Bird :3:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout has started biting me when I take her out of the cage in the morning. Afterwards she's normal. Birds.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis has maybe been a little bit more bitey and sensitive than usual but otherwise I haven't noticed anything.

Auri on the other hand seems to actually be really warming up to me. It's taken over six months of patient trust-building but in the past two weeks she has:
1. Begun touching her beak to my lips when I ask her to "gimme kiss?"
2. Last week started really enjoying sitting on my knee while I watched a TV show with a friend--fluffing up hard, preening, etc.
3. Yesterday she declined to go into her cage, instead scrambling up to my shoulder. She has NEVER indicated a preference to stay with me before.
4. Today, she actually fluffed up when I put her on my shoulder. Again, she has NEVER done this before.

:) I'm really happy!

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The only offensive thing Pearl has done recently has been to learn to say my husband's name better and more frequently than my name. She also took a bath, which was only terrible in that she doesn't know how to bathe without soaking me and half the kitchen in water.

I'm pretty sure Pearl went through hormonal phases back in the day (some telling scars on my hands are good evidence for it), but the hazy fog of time is preventing me from recalling them.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Our little poop factory

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

mikerock posted:

Our little poop factory

I have the same model poop factory. If i'm too stupid to realize what he's trying to tell me, he now backs up as far as her can his butt well over the side of whatever he is on (like a table), and aim his poop producing unti over to the poop flows in a perfect little arc and on to the tile floor. Fry's gone to refusing to poop on his playgym, because, well hey, he plays there. Smart guy. I have tile floors and cheap toilet paper on standby. He still poops on the playgym, but only when I specifically put him there.

this post brought to you by the letter P.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I have a supply of disinfectant wipes on hand. Boop likes to poop between the keys on my keyboard, so I have to wipe the keys, remove them and clean underneath. On one hand, it's a pain, on the other, because she does it in random spots, I now keep the keyboard regularly cleaned a bit at a time. Keyboards get gross on their own given long enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout is NOT allowed on the keyboard because she's a bird. Birds can't type. They CAN poop, though. A LOT.